how should the neutral grip feel at address?

I've been playing golf off and on for a few years now, and have started to try and really learn now. I found out my grip was off recently, (i'm a righty) my left hand was weak too far left and the right was too far right (both thumbs down center shaft). Now im playing around with the new grip and I'm confused about how the club face should feel at address, because with this grip if i relax my wrist at all the club face immediately closes dramatically. I can see how this would be beneficially considering I've always had issue with slicing or fading shot out right, but wanted to know if I should be feeling a level of tension to keep the club face square at setup?

Comments

• PedronNiallPedronNiall Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    Using both the super light grip that I do now or the stronger grip that I used to the club didn't change position after address. You should be able to set your grip with the club square before soleing it behind the ball, and even with a light grip your fingers in proper position, your hands, and the interaction of them with the grip especially when aided by a glove should keep it in place pretty well. It's possible that you could have something else like your hands too high or other elements putting the club in a weird position that causes it to want to not stay at a neutral rest point. It could also be your grip being off and your hands trying to set themselves properly.

As to how strong your grip should be that really depends on your actual swing. If you're setup correctly and you hit a fade then going stronger could be an easy way to add a slight draw bias.

Check out his other grip vids if those don't answer all your questions about the grip. Hope that helps.
  • cav5cav5 Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I like a moderate strong left and the right as on top as possible considering the location of the left thumb.
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,788 ✭✭
    What is a neutral grip? My definition of a neutral grip is one that returns the club to the ball squarely while the club is swinging. Because we are all built a little differently my neutral grip might no look like yours. Its not a matter of how many knuckles are showing or where the V's are pointed, a neutral grip need to be tested by the individual through the motion of the swing and adjusted if the club doesn't swing to a square position.

Steve.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,387 ✭✭
    I go with strong, how else are you going to square up with the handle in front of the ball at impact
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,788 ✭✭
    BottleCap wrote:

I go with strong, how else are you going to square up with the handle in front of the ball at impact

Same way Ben Hogan did.

Steve
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,286 ✭✭
    A neutral grip should feel comfortable, neutral. But I bet your normal grip feels comfortable to you, because that's what you're used to feeling. If you're changing your grip, its going to feel odd, weird, uncomfortable, just like any change does.
  • Conner GolfConner Golf ClubWRX Posts: 86 ClubWRX
    A neutral grip means your arms/hands have no turn to them. Same as if your arms and hands are relaxed hanging at your sides. If you turn your arms or hands one way or the other they will relax back to neutral. A strong grip sets your hands on your squared up club open to your neutral position, promoting them to close early at impact. While a weak grip sets your hands closed to your neutral grip, promoting a open clubface through contact. A strong grip could be thought of as either a pronated left hand grip or a supinated right hand grip. And a weak grip the opposite, left hand supinated or the right hand pronated. Typically either both hands are gripped neutral or one hand is neutral and the other is gripped strong or weak.
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,958 ✭✭
    If you have a hard time getting into the "neutral" hand position you're looking for, with either an interlock or overlap,... then try a 10 finger grip. It makes it much easier for many players
  • J2puttsJ2putts Members Posts: 613 ✭✭
    Start with your left hand. Neutral left hand will allow you to rotate clubhead open and closed equal amount. Place right hand on top of left hand so left thumb fits in pocket of your right palm . Neutral grip
    Cobra F9 9.0 PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Callaway XR16 Pro 3W 14.0 Fujikura Speeder 765
    Callaway XR Pro 2 Hybrid 18.0 PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5 thru 7 iron
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 8 thru PW ( irons all PX LZ 6.0 120G )
    Callaway MD3 50 S Grind
    Callaway MD3 54 S Grind
    Callaway MD3 58 W Grind
    Oddysey Versa #9
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    Changing grips is always going to feel awkward. For me going to a more neutral grip from a strong grip with an even stronger right hand felt incredible stiff and boardy, like I wouldn’t be able to release. But you get used to it after a few hundred balls and my ball striking has become much more consistent especially with shorter shots like pitches and punches. Probably because there’s a lot less hand manipulation in my swing.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,258 ClubWRX
    Right handed: Back of left hand matches leading edge of club.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file