1st Bogey Free Round! Who else?

dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,242 ✭✭
I'm 50 (51 in April), have been playing for about 25 years, and today playing in our men's group, had my first ever bogey free round! Four birdies, the rest pars on a par 72 for 68. I've had some lower scores in the past, and also some good scores in really tough conditions that I've been proud of, but this has been kind of a secret goal of mine for quite a while, and proved to be particularly elusive.

I've got to admit that I started thinking about it with about 4 holes to play, but just stayed focused on playing our four-ball match and winning holes. I truly didn't get nervous until standing over my approach on #18 (water in play). Fortunately I struck it pure from 161 yards to about 18' and an easy two putt. In all honesty I'm just elated; it's a very gratifying feeling to finally do something in the game that has eluded me for so long, and that I'd imagine only a very small percentage of the golfing population will ever accomplish.

So, who else has had a bogey free round, or maybe come close but just didnt quite get it done?
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Comments

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,383 ✭✭
    Congrats! I have shot as low as 68 in my life (twice) but I am pretty sure I have never had a bogey-free round. I think that ship has sailed now, but you never know. Nice work!

Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler 5w 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    Cobra Max 6-GW
    Cobra Trust Rusty 56*
    Odyssey V-Line

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,907 ✭✭
    Nice going OP, great achievement. Something that I have never done, the closest I have come to it has been one bogey on the 9th hole of the round I got nearest.

The lowest I have ever shot is 67 but there were a couple of bogeys in there as well unfortunately.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,242 ✭✭
    Even in my best rounds prior to today's I typically can reflect back on dumb mistakes/unforced errors or lapses in concentration that resulted in a blemish that wasn't really necessary. Today I really only had one miscue, went for the par 5 second hole in two from about 230 over water, stopped rotating on it and hit a nose-diver that came up 5 yards short in the water. Took my drop from about 145, hit it to 10' and made the putt for par. The rest of the round was pretty commercial as I hit 14 greens. Missed pretty easy birdie putts on 10 & 11 also, but c'est la vie...

The days I shoot 83 the game seems so hard I'll wonder how I was ever capable of par or better...lol!😮 Crazy game

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,777 ✭✭
    A couple years ago I shot one under, with one birdie, and 17 pars. Started par, birdie, and 16 pars in a row.
  • slprince67slprince67 Members Posts: 143 ✭✭
    havent done it yet....Came close a year or two ago. Made it through 15 holes at 4 under, made bogey on two of the last 3.....ugh!
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    That's awesome. I'd like to have one of those.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,225 ✭✭
    I’ve done it a few times, not recently. The first time I almost did it I stood on 18 @ -3 and made double. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, HW
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    I just had a Par free round.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,482 ✭✭
    I have a 72 with 18 straight 2-putt pars.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,683 ClubWRX
    Congrats. A no for me.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,303 ClubWRX
    I've had a few bogey free rounds. Oddly most of them were birdie free too. Weird. I'm still holding out for the round where I hit all 18 greens in reg.

In the news of the hard to believe... Phil M just had a round where he hit every fairway. His first round in 21 years according to the Tour Stats (and only 7 times ever on Tour.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Today was windy and tougher hole locations but I still managed an even par 72. I screwed up #3 after hitting a sand wedge long (downwind) for my first bogey in 28 holes. I had hoped to keep the streak going longer, but oh well. Still, not too bad for a "chopper!"

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,073 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

Today was windy and tougher hole locations but I still managed an even par 72. I screwed up #3 after hitting a sand wedge long (downwind) for my first bogey in 28 holes. I had hoped to keep the streak going longer, but oh well. Still, not too bad for a "chopper!"

I think you've officially lost the chopper moniker. It was very windy today. Where did you play?
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,506 ✭✭
    Only once for me with a 67, it was the medal round of a match play event. First round of match play the next day I got bounced 6&5 and was probably 6 over.

A few years ago I parred the first 11 holes, hit my second into a par 5, very slightly blind/elevated green. All agreed it was a good shot, middle of the green. Get up to the green and it was nowhere to be seen, and I fixed what was almost certainly my ballmark on the green. Never found the ball, made bogey after going back to hit again. Birdied the next and parred in. I still wonder where that ball wound up, there were zero hazards or anywhere to lose it around that green. I’m almost certain an animal had to take it.
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,101 ClubWRX
    I’m like some of the other guys. I’ve shot a 67 and a 68 on a par 73 but have yet to go bogie free.

It’s pretty much the last item on my golf playing bucket list.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • mupepperboymupepperboy Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Great job! Nice save with that par putt too after the penalty. Hope to gain some consistency to get that direction.
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

dpb5031 wrote:

I think you've officially lost the chopper moniker. It was very windy today. Where did you play?

Abacoa.

Yes, east wind...very challenging for sure!

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
    RSinSG wrote:

I’m like some of the other guys. I’ve shot a 67 and a 68 on a par 73 but have yet to go bogie free.

It’s pretty much the last item on my golf playing bucket list.

Exactly the way I felt...just a pretty cool feat to accomplish for a recreational player. Keep the faith and it will happen. One of the great things about this game is that you really can improve as you age, save for any significant physical issues.

I moved from NJ to Jupiter, FL in December. I ended the season up north as a 0 HC. When I joined the group I'm currently playing with down here they said, "oh, a zero, that wont last long, we've seen lots of zeros who cant break 80...lol!"

They were pretty much right! Chipping and putting on Bermuda combined with more wind than I'm typically accustomed to had me shooting lots of 77s and 78s.

So, my cap blew up to a 4. I've gradually been figuring out the greens (reading grain) and hitting lots of knock downs, so my scoring started coming back around and I've been winning often.

Now they're calling me a bagger...lol! Ya just can't win...lol😁!

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
    Ah, moved to Florida. Thought you were still near me in central Jersey.

Buddy of mine is in Florida now in Naples. Says he is adapting to the Bermuda. And he chips and putts better than anyone I know.

A round with no bogies is quite the accomplishment.
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 3:09am #21
    I've had rounds with 0 bogeys but few and far between, congrats bro welcome to the club!
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

Ah, moved to Florida. Thought you were still near me in central Jersey.

Buddy of mine is in Florida now in Naples. Says he is adapting to the Bermuda. And he chips and putts better than anyone I know.

A round with no bogies is quite the accomplishment.

Yep, takes some time & learning to understand how to play different short game shots, and even more time to gain the confidence to execute well. I'm typically a die putter, but I'm finding it best to have about an extra foot of speed on Bermuda so the grain doesnt grab it as it loses pace. Chips and pitches down grain dont check much and will roll out, chips into the grain bite like an angry chihuahua...lol!

P.S. FL is awesome 😎

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members Posts: 8,063 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 7:48am #23
    Congrats!!! Job well done. I wanna move. Only one round since the second week in Nov. nothing but simulator golf around here and my numbers are horrible on the simulator.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭
    Well done. Sounds so simple but for most of us, crazy allusive.

I’m also planning my escape from Northern NJ to Florida in one year. Just trying to decide where exactly between Palm Beach, Miami, Jupiter and a few other options and trying to decide rent vs buy.
  • jaysno24jaysno24 Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Congrats! I would like to be able to get there. Many many many more rounds to come and loads of practice before even thinking about it.
    TM M1 10.5
    TM M1 3W
    Cobra King Oversize 3-4H
    Cobra King F7 One-Length 5-G
    PXG 0311 Gen 2 LW
    TM Spider Tour Platinum 35"

Well done. Sounds so simple but for most of us, crazy allusive.

I’m also planning my escape from Northern NJ to Florida in one year. Just trying to decide where exactly between Palm Beach, Miami, Jupiter and a few other options and trying to decide rent vs buy.

Message me and we can connect off line. I've learned a lot!!!

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,883 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 10, 2019 11:54am #27
    Not here.

I still have a goal of besting par for 18 holes where I play and the no bogeys thing is the key (lol, and no doubles). Have been as much as 2 under on one 9 a couple times, and one under on the other nine (and those rounds included at least one bogey), but the other nine holes the days I've been lucky enough to do that haven't been pretty. I don't make a lot of birdies and bogeys are a fact of life at my level, lol. Eliminating big numbers is still huge in my progress.
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Not here.

I still have a goal of besting par for 18 holes where I play and the no bogeys thing is the key (lol, and no doubles). Have been as much as 2 under on one 9 a couple times, and one under on the other nine (and those rounds included at least one bogey), but the other nine holes the days I've been lucky enough to do that haven't been pretty. I don't make a lot of birdies and bogeys are a fact of life at my level, lol. Eliminating big numbers is still huge in my progress.

Make bogey your worst score in any given round and I'll bet you'll be pretty happy with your overall score.

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,847 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 9:32am #29
    Even par round, yes. Bogey free round, no. Hopefully soon, but I have been trying to challenge myself lately to set my improvement goals for 2019.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
    dpb5031 wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Not here.

Make bogey your worst score in any given round and I'll bet you'll be pretty happy with your overall score.

That's my new goal. I miss a green and try some hero shot beyond my ability to get it close instead of focusing on just getting on the green and trying a 20 or 30 foot putt to save par. I'm getting better at this.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,383 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 4:02pm #31
    What if a round was bogey-free but has some double and triple bogeys? If that counts, I'm back in!

Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler 5w 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    Cobra Max 6-GW
    Cobra Trust Rusty 56*
    Odyssey V-Line