POLL - Ever had a club(s) stolen at a golf course?

T-3 ·  
T-3T-3 Members  139WRX Points: 58Handicap: 15Posts: 139 Fairways
Have you ever had a club(s) stolen while at a golf course? Not including if they were stolen out of your car parked at a random location or from your house. I'm just curious about the prevalence of this at the course.

If so, what were the circumstances?

Here are some questions to consider that might be useful to the rest of us seeking to avoid this:

Were you using OEM headcovers?

How long did you leave your bag unattended?

Public or private course?

Location (bag drop, car, driving range, etc.)

Obviously, please don't post anything that could be used as a tip for would-be thieves!
Posted:

Comments

• OxfordGolferOxfordGolfer Members  8WRX Points: 11Handicap: 13Posts: 8 Bunkers
    Last year I left a wedge by a green. Went back for it and asked the two groups behind us and they said they hadn’t picked one up. Checked with the clubhouse after the round and it was never turned in. Asked about 2 weeks later and no one ever did. Not sure if this counts as I did leave it behind like an idiot, but you’d think someone would have the decency to turn it in.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BillyBawShanksBillyBawShanks ScotlandMembers  76WRX Points: 16Handicap: 12Posts: 76 Fairways
    Last year I left my g400 7 iron at the practice nets at my local club. Went back for it 2 hrs later (as soon as I realised) and it was gone - gutted! It was never handed in or found.
    Posted:
    Ping G25 Driver 10.5, Regular
    SLDR S Mini Driver 14, Stiff
    Ping G25 4 Wood, Stiff
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid, Regular
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, KBS Tour 120, Stiff
    Ping Gorge Tour, 50, CFS Stiff
    Ping Glide, 58 WS, CFS Regular
    Odyssey 2 Ball, White Hot Pro, 400g
    Titleist DT Tru soft
  • GMR2ironGMR2iron Members  1599WRX Points: 152Posts: 1,599 Platinum Tees
    Around 2005 or so, played a round at a public course. The bag guy wiped my clubs down, and placed them on bag rack as I went to get my car. When I got to bag rack, bag was there, but my MP-33's, 2 thru PW were gone. Callaway driver and 3 wood, two Titleist wedges, and Ping putter were still in the bag- only the iron set was gone. I wasn't away from the bag five minutes. No cameras, my playing partner and I ran around, checked guys in parking lot. I got a police report, but never saw the irons again.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS4 9.75 HZRDUS Yellow 
    Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Red
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Titleist SM7 50-08, 56-08, 60-04
    Yes! Tracy
  • LemondeLemonde Members  793WRX Points: 115Posts: 793 Golden Tee
    About 2004 or maybe earlier when the club came out, my trusty Hogan hybrid edge cft titanium
    Posted:
    Driver On Order - Callaway GBB Epic SZ 440 9 Tour Issue - shaft TBD - HZRDUS Red 6.5 62g
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 19 HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120X
    Wedge Pondering - Hi Toe Bigfoot 60 Indi ATK 50 & 58
    Wedge - Mizuno JDM MP R5 L 50 & 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • rsh0308rsh0308 Members  410WRX Points: 133Posts: 410 Greens
    Lemonde wrote:

About 2004 or maybe earlier when the club came out, my trusty Hogan hybrid edge cft titanium

Those hybrids were awesome.

Around that time I worked at a nice private club and clubs even went missing there. Nothing was safe. We’d have member-guests and somewhere between the pro shop and valet, you could count on somebody missing their Titleist 975 driver or Cameron putter.

I remember members who kept their putters on them and take them back to their locker between rounds.

Headcovers for sure are a good way to say “I’m expensive, take me”.

Posted:
    My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story

Cobra F9, Atmos Black 6X
    Cobra F9 Tour 3w, Smoke Black 70 6.5
    Taylormade Auroburner TP 3h, White Tie x
    Srixon z765 4-PW Modus 120x
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
    EVNRoll ER5
  • GolfCstyGolfCsty Members  33WRX Points: 31Posts: 33 Bunkers
    Not denying that there's legit theft going on. Shifty cart attendants and fellow golfers do exist. GMR2iron is a perfect example of that. However, I think most "stolen clubs" are a case of inexperienced golfers not understanding what clubs are theirs.

I speculate they're not likely to be able to differentiate between bags and clubs. They're most likely to pick up wrong wedge at a green, wrong bag or even extra bag at drop and not even realize it. You could ask them if they found an extra club at the last green and wouldn't even realize they had. They don't understand the value clubs have to regular golfers and the embarrassment and/or an elapsed time frame prevents them from reporting if/when they realize their mistake.

I've found my wedges in a beginning playing partner's bag multiple times after asking "hey, anybody seen my wedge?" and they answer "no". They simply didn't recognize they had picked up a wedge that wasn't theirs and they now had an extra club in the bag.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • iamchrisstuartiamchrisstuart Members  54WRX Points: 0Handicap: 4Posts: 54
    Got mine stolen from the changing room, someone let a guy in who stole mine and another set, was a group of guys dressed for golf going round golf clubs trying their luck, amazing when you think about how easy it would be with sets lying everywhere.

Worst part was I worked in the pro shop at the time and I had 2 drivers and 2 3 woods in my bag (callaway ERC 2) can’t remember the other, only club I couldn’t replace as a scotty cameron classic which had grind marks on the bumpers.
    Posted:
  • jimbjimb Members  1827WRX Points: 152Posts: 1,827 Platinum Tees
    I left a range finder in a cart at my club, where I was a member for a very long time. Having gone home I realized it was missing. I called the club, but no one turned it in. With respect to clubs, my set are lefthanded so it is probably less likely one of those would be stolen compared to a righthanded set. I do get concerned when I leave my clubs at a bag drop and leave them unattended while I check in at the pro shop. Have a Scotty in the bag? That would make me real nervous leaving my bag unattended for any length of time.

Here's a related story: A long time ago, a guy I worked with had a set of clubs stolen out of the trunk of his car. He went to the handful of golf shops in the area as well as the golf clubs. He asked them to be on the look out for someone trying to sell his clubs, which he described. Sure enough, a couple of kids showed up at a small golf shop that did club repair and sold new and used golf clubs, and wanted to sell them to the owner. The owner told them she wasn't interested but would contact a nearby country club pro shop who may be interested. She called the club, who was also aware of what was going on, and sent the kids there. The pro welcomed them, along with the local police. Busted!!!!

If I had a valuable club stolen from my bag, I would be on the look out on ebay or if there were pawn shops in the area I would be in touch with them.
    Posted:
  • cb24cb24 Members  1716WRX Points: 126Handicap: 1Posts: 1,716 Platinum Tees
    I haven’t thankfully, sorry to hear about your guys stories and have heard plenty of other bad ones as well.

I did have a custom sunfish hybrid headcover fall of and asked the pro shop to let me know if it ever was turned in ($35 each for those so I was bummed). Well I am playing at the sister course and one of the marshals from the course where I lost my headcover is playing ahead of me, so I ask to join. lol and behold, guess what is on his titleist hybrid??? I just straight up said, “ that’s my headcover can I have it back.” He was stunned and red handed because it matched my driver and 3 wood, lol. He even tried to say “what are you going to give me for it.” I said, “I don’t think i need to give you anything for what is mine this should have been turned in.” Silence. He played one more hole with me then ended up leaving. The guy is a jerk so it actually was a pretty funny experience
    Posted:
  • jimbjimb Members  1827WRX Points: 152Posts: 1,827 Platinum Tees
    I would notify the club. If it were a private club, I would file an official complaint.
    Posted:
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers  2169WRX Points: 307Handicap: ~7Posts: 2,169 Platinum Tees
    Yes. A LW (Vokey SM4) out of my bag when I was in the clubhouse.

I know because I swapped to my carry bag from my staff bag and saw it that morning...

And it was gone BEFORE the round.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 917F2 - 14.25* - Diamana S+ LTE
    Titleist U510 1 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron - KBS C-Taper
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-6 iron - DG AMT
    Titleist 718 AP2 7-GW - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist WedgeWorks V-Grind 54* - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist Spin Milled 58.12 - DG Tour Issue
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5
    Titleist Pro V1x, Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Advertisement
  • Jack_HJack_H Think people. Think. south carolinaMembers  30871WRX Points: 7,129Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,871 Titanium Tees
    Rarely happens if you handle your clubs yourself. No attendant touches mine. I’m polite. But I say no. And I don’t go inside and leave mine out . I usually drop mine inside the pro shop behind the counter or take to my car if I’m going inside the grille. Always stories from the high end clubs. The ones who frown on you handling your own stuff.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3360WRX Points: 433Handicap: 7.2Posts: 3,360 ClubWRX
    I had a rangefinder taken off of my bag while I was posting a score in the pro shop.

Here’s an old thread about this same topic:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1142607-stolen-clubs-nashville/

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • farmerfarmer Members  8607WRX Points: 1,039Posts: 8,607 Titanium Tees
    GolfCsty wrote:

Not denying that there's legit theft going on. Shifty cart attendants and fellow golfers do exist. GMR2iron is a perfect example of that. However, I think most "stolen clubs" are a case of inexperienced golfers not understanding what clubs are theirs.

I speculate they're not likely to be able to differentiate between bags and clubs. They're most likely to pick up wrong wedge at a green, wrong bag or even extra bag at drop and not even realize it. You could ask them if they found an extra club at the last green and wouldn't even realize they had. They don't understand the value clubs have to regular golfers and the embarrassment and/or an elapsed time frame prevents them from reporting if/when they realize their mistake.

I've found my wedges in a beginning playing partner's bag multiple times after asking "hey, anybody seen my wedge?" and they answer "no". They simply didn't recognize they had picked up a wedge that wasn't theirs and they now had an extra club in the bag.
    I'm sorry, but no. No one on a course is that inexperienced not to know that a Vokey is different than their bag set.
    Posted:
  • GreenieGreenie Members  3521WRX Points: 147Handicap: 13.7Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees
    Some yrs. ago I was in the parking lot at a course in Va. While my buddies and I were unloading our golf bags from my truck a guy pulls in beside us. He pulls out his NC Tarheels bag and sits it beside his vehicle. I pulled out my MD Terps bag and set it beside his. We had a little conversation while we were putting on our shoes. The bag drop off is at the end of the parking lot and you have to walk down some steps and go into the clubhouse to check in. I carried my bag down the steps and set it by the door so I could see it while I checked in. An employee comes over to me and tells me I have to leave my bag up at the bag drop. While I was voicing my opinion of the bag drop a pickup truck pulls up to the bag drop, a passenger gets out, grabs the guy's Tarheel bag and another bag, puts them in the bed of the truck and speeds off. I start yelling because I knew the guy with the Tarheel bag was inside the clubhouse. Luckly with me yelling they stole some golf bags someone got a good look at the truck. I found out at the turn the police caught the guys out on the highway. I also found out they had been doing this for a while at this course. I always keep my bag in sight when I check in. Some of the bag drops at courses are perfect for pull ups, grab and drive offs.
    Posted:
  • gdb99gdb99 Members  1802WRX Points: 213Handicap: 3.3Posts: 1,802 Platinum Tees
    I had my bag in front of our restaurant and someone stole the whole bag.

Public course.

A year later I see a guy carrying a Royal Grip logoed Ping golf bag. Back then there was only 2 in my state. Mine and the guy that gave me the bag.

Guy pulls out a Great Big Bertha driver with a Grafalloy shaft that I put in my driver, and it had my idiot marks on the top.

My irons, my wedges....

A couple buddies and I approached the guy, and he says he bought the clubs from his cousin.

We use split tees at our course, so he went off the back, I went off the front.

As I was playing, one of members who is also a town cop came up to our group. I told him the story and how I wanted to take my bag back. He said I could have been in trouble if I did that. He went looking for the guy, but he must have quit a few holes early. He was no where to be found.

My insurance company paid the claim.
    Posted:
    Cobra King LTD, Diamana Redboard stiff flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Diamana Tensei Blue regular flex
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular flex 
    Titleist AP1, 5-PW, Dynalite XP R300
    Vokey SM7 52F
    Vokey SM7 56M
    Cleveland 588RTG 60
    Odyssey #2

Advertisement
  • DudeeDudee Members  258WRX Points: 82Posts: 258 Greens
    Have not been a victim of this but I know plenty that have. Mostly public or semi-private facilities......knew several people who were subject to the bag drop drive by. Bag drop areas are popular targets as they are easily accessible from quick exit points by vehicle in most cases. Knew one guy who had his truck bed cover broken into after a round in the club parking lot. Entire set was stolen in less than 10 minutes.....we were only about 100 ft away settling bets in another area of the same parking lot when it happened. At one course I frequented, there were several occasions where bags were getting taken from one end of the fu**ing driving range. Don't get me wrong, these people(the victims) were leaving their clubs unattended and going to the bar periodically to grab a drink or a snack and then returning to their spot on the range minutes later so I suppose it created the perfect opportunity for anyone looking to make the grab in the middle of a weekday with very few, if any, bystanders present. Regardless of the circumstances, still a horrible experience that no one should have to deal with.
    Posted:

CobraKing F9 Speedback Tour Length Green NV NXT 75X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 RIP Phenom 80TX
    Callaway Rogue 3H 19* Evenflow Black 85X
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW PX 6.5
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4021WRX Points: 314Posts: 4,021 Titanium Tees
    Nope. I have found a lot of stuff while golfing. Wedges, headcovers, rangefinders, cigar cutters/lighters, jewelry, cell phone. Small stuff. Always turn it in. Have never personally had anything lifted off my bag or left a club behind. It will happen sooner or later.
    Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • TechnoguruTechnoguru Members  103WRX Points: 46Handicap: 6.2Posts: 103 Fairways
    Had a Scotty ripped from my bag about 5 years ago after a scramble tourney. Bag was never farther than 10 feet from me, but I had my back turned to it most of the time. I am sure the head cover was an a****** magnet.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 Tensei Pro White
    Titleist 917f2 Diamana Whiteboard
    TM Rescue09
    Mizuno MP-18SC TT AMT
    Vokey SM7 Wedges 51, 56, 60
    Scotty Newport 1.5 Custom
    Titleist ProV1, Bridgestone BXs, KSig
  • icemakricemakr Charter Members  557WRX Points: 76Handicap: 9.6Posts: 557 Golden Tee
    Early 2000’s

Just bought a new irons & bag, funny story.

I had them custom made with purple ferrules & grips

I had taken a pic that I was going to post on my WITB on Golfwrx

I printed a stolen poster to put up at the course and the starter says, “You should put those at (golf shop x,y & z)”

So I did, about 10 days later a cop calls me and says he thinks he has my clubs and can I come down to Golf Shop X

I go straight there and the place is surrounded by cops. The thief is in a standoff with the cops, I later found out he was part

of a very successful burglary ring. After they caught him, they raided several rental storage facilities packed full of TV’s, jewelry computers, phones, bikes and golf clubs!

Had to wait 2 weeks, but I did get my clubs back.

Lead investigator said it was a good idea to make the clubs so unique.

Easy to identify

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5 CB55 Stiff
    Cobra F9 Tour 15.5* DVS 70
    Ping g410 hybrid 19* CB75
    TM P790 4-AW Recoil Proto 95 
    Titleist Vokey  54, 60*
    Cameron Del Mar
    Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
    “kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)
  • Jack_HJack_H Think people. Think. south carolinaMembers  30871WRX Points: 7,129Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,871 Titanium Tees
    gdb99 wrote:

I had my bag in front of our restaurant and someone stole the whole bag.

Public course.

A year later I see a guy carrying a Royal Grip logoed Ping golf bag. Back then there was only 2 in my state. Mine and the guy that gave me the bag.

Guy pulls out a Great Big Bertha driver with a Grafalloy shaft that I put in my driver, and it had my idiot marks on the top.

My irons, my wedges....

A couple buddies and I approached the guy, and he says he bought the clubs from his cousin.

We use split tees at our course, so he went off the back, I went off the front.

As I was playing, one of members who is also a town cop came up to our group. I told him the story and how I wanted to take my bag back. He said I could have been in trouble if I did that. He went looking for the guy, but he must have quit a few holes early. He was no where to be found.

My insurance company paid the claim.

Id have pressed the issue and whatever happened happened. Dollars to dog **** he’s the theif and never would have called anybody.

I’d have offered to pay him what he said he paid. I’d have calmly explained that was my bag of sticks and we were going to either figure it out. Or wait for the cops. Any innocent person on earth would have seen that as reasonable. My thinking comes from my bag of sticks , so a value that exceeds a misdemeanor easily. We aren’t talking a box set from sears.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

Advertisement
    Dudee wrote:

Have not been a victim of this but I know plenty that have. Mostly public or semi-private facilities......knew several people who were subject to the bag drop drive by. Bag drop areas are popular targets as they are easily accessible from quick exit points by vehicle in most cases. Knew one guy who had his truck bed cover broken into after a round in the club parking lot. Entire set was stolen in less than 10 minutes.....we were only about 100 ft away settling bets in another area of the same parking lot when it happened. At one course I frequented, there were several occasions where bags were getting taken from one end of the fu**ing driving range. Don't get me wrong, these people(the victims) were leaving their clubs unattended and going to the bar periodically to grab a drink or a snack and then returning to their spot on the range minutes later so I suppose it created the perfect opportunity for anyone looking to make the grab in the middle of a weekday with very few, if any, bystanders present. Regardless of the circumstances, still a horrible experience that no one should have to deal with.

Makes you want to leave a bag out in the open .... and wait..... with a bat.....
    Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• FadeFade Members  1332WRX Points: 241Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees
    I have not had any clubs stolen.

I have robbed myself of one wedge that I inadvertently left near a green.
    Posted:
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers  620WRX Points: 371Handicap: 8.7Posts: 620 Golden Tee
    Never had any clubs diretly stolen, I try to never leave unattended. I did leave a no name wedge on the 18th green when I started playing golf about 20 years ago. I didn't realize until the following week. I called the pro shop and it wasn't turned. I laughed it off, since the club wasn't probably worth more than $2.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Mizuno ST190 9.5° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661
    Callaway GBB Epic sz 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3-4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9°
    Mizuno S18 57°/11°
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls
  • ironmikey12ironmikey12 Members  143WRX Points: 61Posts: 143 Fairways
    I have my dignity stolen every round. You guys made out easy.
    Posted:
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2509WRX Points: 416Posts: 2,509 Titanium Tees
    I'm glad all my clubs are old so there is a low chance it would be stolen. Another reason why I tend to game older clubs. My woods are covered with generic headcovers (albeit they're made from real leather from Sunfish).
    Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  5979WRX Points: 1,435Handicap: 3Posts: 5,979 Titanium Tees
    Never had a club stolen but I have had a Scotty Cameron headcover taken.

The velcro on it had been going and it had come off between one green and the next. Assumed the group behind would have picked it up and passed it on to. Pathetically, the did pick it up but they disappeared from the course and the cover was gone.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • okie21okie21 Members  173WRX Points: 35Handicap: 6Posts: 173 Fairways
    Lefty so that likely helps that I haven't had anything stolen.

It is amazing to me that people that would never dream of taking a club out of someones bag or stealing anything for that matter, are suddenly OK taking a wedge they find on a green?
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)
    Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)
    Titleist 818 H2 19 deg (Evenflow Blue S)
    Titleist 718 AP1s 4-PW (DG AMT White S300), 2* up, 1 1/4" long
    Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400)
    Vokey SM7 56 deg Jet Black (DG Wedge flex)
    Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW
    Scotty 2018 Newport 3, Custom Shop, std length and lie
    Vice Pro Plus
  • T-3T-3 Members  139WRX Points: 58Handicap: 15Posts: 139 Fairways
    Interesting results/stories so far. Bumping thread to see if more people will vote. Thanks to all who participate!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MacklessdaddyMacklessdaddy Members  542WRX Points: 122Posts: 542 Golden Tee
    Odyssey white ice dart and mack daddy 2 wedge
    Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Kuro Kage
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G 3 and 4 Hybrid Tour 90
    Ping G410 PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland CBX 54 58
    Bridgestone TD-03 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.