PUTTING HELP!!!! Please!!!!

Sully287Sully287 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
Good Afternoon Everyone!

I am in need of some serious putting assistance please! I am really trying hard to get my Handicap down and play in some Am events, but the putter is failing me. It seems the more I practice the worse I get. I recently completed two rounds where I shot 87 and 89, but had 40 putts and 39 putts respectively. I feel like I am the worst putter in the world and could use any hints, tricks, or help on the dance floor. Please see photos of setup and finish on my putting stroke, and feel free to roast away. My putter is an odyssey, but is not fitted for me. Thank you and cheers!

Sully
Taylormade Aeroburner Driver
Taylormade M2 2017 16.5 3 Wood
Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 2017 Irons 4 - AW
Titleist Vokey Wedges Jet Black 56, 60
Nike Method Mallet Putter
Tagged:

Comments

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭
    Look into hiring a putting coach like Burnt Edges Consulting. They will work with you remotely.

First thing you have to figure out is why are you missing. Misreads, poor speed control, and poor direction control can all create different miss patterns.

I would suggest getting a putting mirror and a SightRight putting aid. Figure out what position you best see the line, then fit a putter length and lie angle to that position. Burnt Edges can make sure you are in a putter head that fits your stroke.

Once you make sure you are putting a nice end over end roll down your target line you can work on different speeds. Through practice you find a bunch of different feel signatures for different speeds and focus on that while on the golf course.
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,435 ✭✭
    Start with your eye alignment.

Pick a spot 3'-4' in front of the ball directly in line with the cup on a straight putt. Set up like you normally would to hit the putt. Do you see straight line from ball to mark to hole?

If not, take your putter away and line up your eyeline until you see a straight line. Line your putter up without moving your eyeline. Take your stance without moving your eyeline or your putter. Stroke the putt over the mark.

If you can't roll the putt over the mark, it's a stroke issue. If you roll it over the mark into the hole, you've identified your eyeline/stance issue.
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,337 ✭✭
    That’s a long enough follow though to hit a 50 yard putt and your arms are pulling in as well. Go to YouTube and plug good putters names in and see how far they finish on different length putts.
  • sethdavidsdadsethdavidsdad Members Posts: 1,806 ✭✭
    edited Feb 9, 2019 10:16pm #5
    That’s entirely too much handle movement and your hands and arms are completely disconnected. There are lots of ways to get it done with the putter. I have putted successfully with several different strokes but none of them have the handle moving that much.

If that’s your normal follow through position then your big problem is your swinging the handle and not letting the putter head swing. This causes several problems and keeps you from being consistent. The putting stroke should be closer to a pendulum swing, where the handle stays fairly quite and the putter head swings more. Watch some of the greats like brad Faron or tiger woods, notice how little the handle moves and how much the putter head swings escpially on the backswing. Part of this is your setup you have your arms to you sides. Most good putters let their arms hang down in front of them. Bend over a little more and let your arms hang loose.
    Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
    TM Mini driver 14*
    Rogue 5 Wood Diamana D+ X
    Mizuno MP18's 4-5SC, 6-PW MB
    Yes Callie
    Vokeys SM6 52,56,60
    WITB Link
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,762 ClubWRX
    What Monte said. There have been very, very few putters on tour over the with LONG follow-throughs. There are some, but the overwhelming majority have relatively "compact" (though not "poppy") strokes. Snedeker is the main exception to that on the "poppy" side and Toms on the "long follow through" side.

Right now, if I were to emulate anyone, it would be Phil, all the way down to the way he dissects putts to the claw grip that he uses.

Take that for what it's worth. :-)
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • Sully287Sully287 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Everyone, Thank you very much for the comments/replys. I have change my follow through to a shorter stroke and have seen accuracy improvement.
    Taylormade Aeroburner Driver
    Taylormade M2 2017 16.5 3 Wood
    Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid
    Taylormade M2 2017 Irons 4 - AW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges Jet Black 56, 60
    Nike Method Mallet Putter
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭
    Also, judging by the wrinkles in your shorts on the follow through....watch the hip rotation....you want your hips/lower body to feel absolutely still....excess movement makes solid contact and speed control a pain....face control as well.
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Members Posts: 668 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 12:29pm #9
    [media=]

Looks to me like your elbows are on the side of your upper body/below your armpits, you need to have them rest on your rib cage. Basically, extend your arms out in front of you/straighten them while standing straight up and then slowly bring them into your stomach/ribcage, then let the putter head fall/droop/uncock the wrists/feel loose in the wrists/million different feelings/etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file