Why is this becoming an addiction??

Jacob37Jacob37 Members Posts: 95 ClubWRX
I’m not even a “great” putter.. and i don’t do this with other clubs really, but i find myself buying and wanting to buy more putters. I like the Scotty Cameron’s, i game a Newport 2 and just bought another one. I know that’s nothing to some of your collections but i will def have more soon. I know some of y’all are collectors and have issues with buying more. But it’s hard to explain to other people that don’t get it. What is it about putters that just make you want more?

Comments

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,857 ✭✭
    The patina
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • OfficeNerdOfficeNerd Members Posts: 61
    I am beginning to be a putter ho myself. However for me it is more of function and form over esthetics. If a center shaft appears on BST I have to set my phone down or I know another box be at my front door.
  • Jacob37Jacob37 Members Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    OfficeNerd wrote:

I am beginning to be a putter ho myself. However for me it is more of function and form over esthetics. If a center shaft appears on BST I have to set my phone down or I know another box be at my front door.

Lol yea i know what you mean. It’s like why am i buying this? But ya can’t stop
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,253 ✭✭
    I feel your pain. I am an Odyssey putter guy. I buy and trade them all the time. I send them to the dark reaches of my closet when they misbehave..
    Gil Leonard
    gpleonard wrote:

I feel your pain. I am an Odyssey putter guy. I buy and trade them all the time. I send them to the dark reaches of my closet when they misbehave..

Got one I’ll sell ya lol.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    Depending on one’s financial situation, it may not be a big deal to worry about.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • PutterProPutterPro ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    Putters are cool. They all feel different and look different, or roll different. There are so many head shapes, head weights and grips to try. The variables are endless! Or maybe you found “a deal” or “the one”. There is always a reason to buy another putter, always!
  • EgobblewobbleEgobblewobble Members Posts: 303 ✭✭
    I think putters are just unique and can be toyed with more especially in the winter months more than any other club. I’ve had over 15 putters I’ve bought and sold within the past 6 months and I just like to try them. Especially being left handed I can’t try many in a store so it’s my way of getting to try new things seeing I just sell them anyways sometimes knowing I will sell them before I even buy them. I love my putter I have now, every aspect of it but for some reason my ambition to replace it is extremely high. The search to find a unique putter and the excitement to have it show up is priceless
    That dog'll hunt

I think putters are just unique and can be toyed with more especially in the winter months more than any other club. I’ve had over 15 putters I’ve bought and sold within the past 6 months and I just like to try them. Especially being left handed I can’t try many in a store so it’s my way of getting to try new things seeing I just sell them anyways sometimes knowing I will sell them before I even buy them. I love my putter I have now, every aspect of it but for some reason my ambition to replace it is extremely high. The search to find a unique putter and the excitement to have it show up is priceless

I feel bad for you lefties in that aspect for sure. What’ do you use right now ? I guess i like putters too cause like you said when you can’t play you can still tinker with it and putt at home. Even in winter months
  • Jafa3Jafa3 Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I feel your pain. I cant stop buying putters and my garage is overflowing with empty putter boxes. I just like the craftsmanship and various styles. I only use 2 or 3 of them. Not sure why I have 15. I need to stop buying...unless someone has a Byron Epic Day out there they are looking to unload ...
  • EgobblewobbleEgobblewobble Members Posts: 303 ✭✭
    Jacob37 wrote:

I feel bad for you lefties in that aspect for sure. What’ do you use right now ? I guess i like putters too cause like you said when you can’t play you can still tinker with it and putt at home. Even in winter months

That dog'll hunt

Jacob37 wrote:

That’s a sweet stick there. Looks nice. I’m sure it’s mental, which I’m also sure golf is mental. But it seems like if i spend money and time on a good putter i want and like, i putt better with it. And like I’ve heard before, you spend good $ on a putter it’ll make you practice more which brings more confidence
    Jafa3 wrote:

I feel your pain. I cant stop buying putters and my garage is overflowing with empty putter boxes. I just like the craftsmanship and various styles. I only use 2 or 3 of them. Not sure why I have 15. I need to stop buying...unless someone has a Byron Epic Day out there they are looking to unload ...

😂😂
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Members Posts: 1,108 ✭✭
    gpleonard wrote:

Yup...have a EXO 7s and is my best ever..but need a stroke lab 7s to test
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S

gpleonard wrote:

Yup...have a EXO 7s and is my best ever..but need a stroke lab 7s to test

Ha find one you know you love, but you gotta make sure by buying a few here and there to be sure👍🏼👍🏼
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,366 ✭✭

Jacob37 wrote:

That putter is spectacular!

That's my birthday too!
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,366 ✭✭
    I too have found myself with a problem buying putters...I really need to stop! It started with an obsession with Scotty Tei3's and I'm currently fixated on Bettinardi's.

Two putters are in transit to me as we speak...SC Tei3 Del Mar Long Slant and a Bettinardi BB1 flow neck with a nickel finish.
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I found the smaller makers about this time last year. Xenon, Black Lab, Kingston, which turned into another world for me getting away from the big names. Plus putters can be tucked away easily from wandering eyes. I'm only at 10 now, but have my sights on another Xenon. Once that's here I'll go after BL or a Kingston.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Scratch                   56/06 - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    For me it just comes down to the fact that no putter is perfect, but the next one might be.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • joedalton5joedalton5 Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    When it comes to putters, I’m pretty much like Gollum
  • WhereIsDetroitWhereIsDetroit Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Im in the same boat.
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭
    I stumbled onto a great one recently, which actually has me decreasing my stash. I'm definitely not cured, but the number of putters I've never even taken to the putting green is diminishing quickly.
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • sm_wattssm_watts Members Posts: 641 ✭✭
    My name is Shawn and I became an addict last year when I ordered my first custom T.P. Mills putter. The first of the winter, that is....

My weakness is finding a putter that is unique, not necessarily expensive, but a piece you can start a conversation about. Like the 2-ball fang I’ve got coming in the mail with the Spryevo copper insert...
    Taylormade M2 2016 10.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, MK reg
    Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, DK reg
    TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3
    Bridgestone J40 DPC's/Recoil 95 F3
    Snake Eyes 685BX 52*
    Hogan TK 57*
    TP Mills Sycamore...or Spaulding TPM VIII...or maybe the TP Mills Elite...or the TP Mills Softtail???
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 10, 2019 11:35pm #25
    I was bad, then when we remodeled I sold all of mine. I still regret it.

I only have two now.....I feel so unfulfilled!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,905 ✭✭

For me it just comes down to the fact that no putter is perfect, but the next one might be.

She gets it !!^^
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Calle83Calle83 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Really like looking at putters and trying to find the ultimate setup so yeah iv bought some putters hahaha but is there any club in the bag that looks better then a putter ? and you use it a ton so why not spend a extra $ on a couple image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 4
    FW: Callaway Epic 3
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52,56 Titleist Vokey 60
    Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 Armlock
    Ball: Bridgestone B330
    I bought another Scotty today... 🤪🤪
  • tphilptphilp Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    It’s because putter is so much of a feel thing. I grew up putting on a PING Anser and it was great until the one day were it got left behind at a course never to be seen again. I went through a long learning curve that putters unlike other clubs are the most personal of all. Last year I though it was solved when I read all this great stuff about Evnroll (MSG and others) but the feel was awful and I didn’t have a great putting year. Then I put two rounds at the end of the year with my buddies Scotty Newport 2 and go the lowest and best putting days of my life and I’m back in the vortex lol. Currently have 3 Scotty’s but I look st it like this some guys collect 10K watches I collect putters so I’m still better off financially...or so I tell myself
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members Posts: 1,300 ✭✭
    I think there are 2 types of people that buy a lot of putters:

1. Collectors who like unique nice things (rare, old, valuable, beautiful, etc)

2. Those looking to buy a better putting game. These people have the notion that putting is an easy skill to master, unlike hitting a drive 320+ yards & hitting 65% of fairways. They are still searching for the one putter that is automatic.
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Performing validation testing of the M G S test

I think there are 2 types of people that buy a lot of putters:

1. Collectors who like unique nice things (rare, old, valuable, beautiful, etc)

2. Those looking to buy a better putting game. These people have the notion that putting is an easy skill to master, unlike hitting a drive 320+ yards & hitting 65% of fairways. They are still searching for the one putter that is automatic.

That’s a very good view of it i think