What messes with the mental side of your game?

There are different theories on what % of the golf game is mental, but it certainly is a factor. What messes with the mental side of your game? Trying to avoid hazards? Trying to be bogey free? Noise, or chatter? Slow play? Self pressure to play a low score or maintain or lower your handicap? Something else or a combination of things?

Comments

• kozubskozubs Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    My brain.

I get distracted easily by noise. I get frustrated way too easily by "bad breaks"
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
  • marcwhumarcwhu Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Great idea for a thread.

For me, it is more often than not expectations I create for myself. When I feel like I have to live up to some imagined standard, thats normally when things fall apart. For example: "You ought to be making birdie on this par 5", or, "You can't aim at the middle of the green with this wedge shot".

I play my best rounds when I simply hit the shot in front of me. No external, big picture thoughts. It sounds cliche, but for me it really is one shot at a time.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,813 ✭✭
    I have no mental side. I just hit it, find it, and hit it again.
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,098 ✭✭
    When I feel like I`m being rushed. I tend to play early and sometimes the grounds keepers are still mowing, those **** will seriously drive up,stay about 50 yards away and sit there while idling the mower engine..asshats..
  • JustmuckitJustmuckit Members Posts: 1,461 ✭✭
    Self pressure and slow play.

One of those I can control, the other I obviously can't. I've done better over the last few years just focusing on the next shot instead of what it means, or my score.

For me, the slow play issue isn't a frustration thing, it's a rhythm/flow thing. Cruising right along, then sit on a tee box for 10 minutes and it all falls apart.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭
    Lately I've focused on not knowing my score, not allowing my mind to figure out all of the potential finishing scores. Hard to 'not' do something.

So, I double down on PSR and making smart decisions.
  • jaysno24jaysno24 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Being super competitive, any bad shot really irks me and I continue to get agitated at myself. I hate it!
    TM M1 10.5
    TM M1 3W
    Cobra King Oversize 3-4H
    Cobra King F7 One-Length 5-G
    PXG 0311 Gen 2 LW
    TM Spider Tour Platinum 35"
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,548 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 11:03am #10
    I’ve discovered the book The Power of Now. Life changing stuff but let’s see if it translates to the golf course😊

https://www.stack.com/a/why-every-athlete-should-read-the-power-of-now
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,499 ✭✭
    Trying to figure out if I inhale or exhale on the backswing.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Taylormade M2 44 inches.
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭
    Matt J wrote:

Lately I've focused on not knowing my score, not allowing my mind to figure out all of the potential finishing scores. Hard to 'not' do something.

So, I double down on PSR and making smart decisions.

This hurts a lot of people (myself included). So many times I’ve had a chance going into a final hole knowing I needed a certain score to break 90,80, whatever the goal was and then just destroyed my round trying to score rather than play
  • juggernaut0629juggernaut0629 Members Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Hot cart girl...
    Ping G LST 9*
    Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
    X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
    Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
    Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 814 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 4:37pm #14
    3 things

#1 far and away is slow play.

2 smaller things are making bogeys after hitting the fairway, missed short putts. Im not too accurate with driver so when i find the fwy i need to capitalize, and my strength is my short game, so missing shorties puts undue stress on my game.
    Callaway
  • PepsiDuckPepsiDuck Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    Out of bounds. Holes that have houses in play. The worst is when there is a road with car traffic running alongside the hole.
    TaylorMade M2 (2017) 10.5* - Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
    TaylorMade M2 (2017) Tour 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 X
    Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Miura CB57 4-P - KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Miura Series 1957 Wedges - 51* (Y), 56* (K) - KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,499 ✭✭
    Hot cart girl...

Don’t tell me you’re one of them??? I go on golf trips with guys who act like they never seen a woman before. I’m getting ready to hit and two carts about run me over every Frik’n time they appear. Rant over. I’m better now. That is all.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Taylormade M2 44 inches.
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,430 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 6:02pm #17
    I try not to focus on my score, but the harder I try, I just always seem to know how many over I am.

Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    PING S57 7-W
    Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*
    Odyssey V Line

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭
    Trying to fight thinking of misses as well. Focus on the exact ball flight and let the direction take care of itself.
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Members Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    One bad shot! Then I'm trying to make swing changes/thoughts all day!!
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭
    For all the mental headcases “golf is not a game of perfect” helped me a lot.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,274 ✭✭

I've discovered the book The Power of Now. Life changing stuff but let's see if it translates to the golf course��

https://www.stack.co...he-power-of-now

I can see the benefit of staying in the present which will enhance focus and prevent flinching. But, this is a tough concept to adopt to. After 30 years of golf and in anything in life, we want to learn from our mistakes and do better next time which means dwelling on the past.
  • tjw018tjw018 Lefty Boomers Posts: 189 ✭✭
    For me its mostly OB on the left (as a lefty). I almost never miss left anymore but I spent so many years sending slices OB I still can't get it out of my head.

Something on my agenda to figure out this year finally.
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 617 ✭✭
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,873 ✭✭
    My first bad swing.
  • JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,118 ✭✭
    Persistent two-way miss. Missing greens with wedges. 3-putts.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP 54.11 - KBS Tour V Wedge
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - KBS Tour Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,686 ✭✭
    Not trusting my talent. Whether it's hitting a poor shot or a shot that I don't feel comfortable with, trusting my talent to hit the shot that I have hit a million times before causes me to start lose focus at the task at hand.

RH
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    Expectations. That's all. I expect to play well...shoot near par. If I hit a shot poorly I let it start to rile me up. I let bad shots affect the next shot.

Recently re-read a couple key chapters of "golf is not a game of perfect". Good book. I am working to find the right balance of having fun and taking the game seriously. It's not easy...unless I'm 3 under thru 7.
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 589 ✭✭
    I play my best when I'm relaxed and play in the moment. When I'm a little nervous and hit a bad shot, I get into a feedback loop and struggle to get my game back. I need to learn to let go of my last shot, whether it was good or bad.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,030 ✭✭

When I feel like I`m being rushed. I tend to play early and sometimes the grounds keepers are still mowing, those **** will seriously drive up,stay about 50 yards away and sit there while idling the mower engine..asshats..

As a former grounds crew grunt who mowed greens before sunup for several years I can telll you. They feel the same about you. Lol. I say that with a smile. Not to be mean.

They have a mandate to get out and get done and out of the way. The only way you can get around this interaction is for them to not allow groups off until around 9 am or later. The course doesn’t maintain and setup itself. And they absolutely cannot shut off a mower every group. The wear a tear alone would cost thousands a year on starter and engine work. Be glad they wait for you. At a private I was at we did not. We pulled up and pulled the pin in front of you. Mowed and or blowed and then replaced the pin. While you waited in the fairway. Period. It was policy and posted that it was. Dew sweepers waited at least 1 hole. We worked backwards against play. Sometimes jumping around when we could to catch holes that adjoined others. 36 holes to walk mow before 10 am is a crap ton of work during leaf season.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,030 ✭✭
    With me it’s the struggle to know when to be aggressive and when to not be. I’m naturally aggressive with sports. I’m not the guy who believes hitting the middle of every green is the answer to anything except 3 putting 4 of them to shoot 76. Lol.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• Ty_WebbTy_Webb New YorkMembers Posts: 3,020 ✭✭
    PepsiDuck wrote:

Out of bounds. Holes that have houses in play. The worst is when there is a road with car traffic running alongside the hole.

So much this. I have an excessive fear of hitting it OB. If there are houses around I'm aiming in the trees on the other side. Not good.

The other thing for me is when I am trying to do something out of the ordinary. Like if I'm hitting a bit too much club because I don't want to be short, I'll grip down and swing easy, when I should have done one or the other and I wind up short. Or I'm trying to hit a draw and I'll set up with the face a little bit closed and then try to release more and wind up hitting a pull hook. I'm quite good if I really have to turn one, because then I have to do everything. I struggle when I need to do something subtle. Mostly it's a lack of practice. Two small kids will do that to you...
    Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
    Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
    Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file