ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Looking for MP18 SC Long Term reviews please!!

johnroyal519johnroyal519 Advanced Members Posts: 80
I've searched a few of the MP18 SC Threads but I'm looking for some Real world on course reviews.

The online reviews are amazing and to me they look and feel fantastic.

Are they as unforgiving as I'm reading here? Can an AP2 player use them?

How is the flight / distance / feel???

Would order a 3-pW Set with S300 like the classic MP irons came with back in the day off the rack!

Comments

• rbj69rbj69 Advanced Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    If you like titliest ap2 then you might love the 718 cb forged
    Taylormade M16 with Tensei Orange shaft
    Taylormade 3 wd with tensei orange shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3hybrid with aldila synergy shaft
    4-pw Srixon Z785/Zforged combo with px lz shafts
    Taylormade 50 tour grind wedge
    Taylormade 56 Hi-Toe wedge
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • SimpSimp Advanced Members Posts: 2,903
    I've been playing them for several months now and live them. I'm a 2 ish handicap and more of a sweeper of the ball and the sole grind / bounce is really nice for my swing. I have the KBS 120's in them and I almost never get a ball that balloons. They look perfect at address. They're Mizuno's.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • kfurnokfurno kfurno Members Posts: 36
    I have the SC in 4-7 and MB 8-PW and love these irons! The SC looks like a blade but playable and with the lower center of gravity I don’t have trouble getting a good flight at all. I have KBS C taper 120s per my fitting, I’m tall and a high ball hitter so go get fit. Classy clubs here, you won’t regret it. So solid when hit pure but no less forgiving than anything else in the category.
    Taylormade 2016 M1 HZRDUS Black
    Nike Covert Tour 3wd
    Adams Red Hybrid 18 degrees
    Mizuno MP-18SC (4-7) MB (8-PW) KBS C-Taper 120
    Vokey 52,56,60
    Kingston KP2 GSS
  • johnroyal519johnroyal519 Advanced Members Posts: 80
    Simp wrote:

I've been playing them for several months now and live them. I'm a 2 ish handicap and more of a sweeper of the ball and the sole grind / bounce is really nice for my swing. I have the KBS 120's in them and I almost never get a ball that balloons. They look perfect at address. They're Mizuno's.

the 64s and 15s and 53s which I've played in the past all look amazing at address.. Tough to beat a mizuno
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    The SC's are quite nice, not sure they are as soft as the MB's, but that's to be expected. They sit perfectly in a combo set with the MB's or as the scoring clubs with some MMC's.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Advanced Members Posts: 7,705 ✭✭
    ive been tempted by the MP18 SC since day one.

Never could pull the trigger.
    TITLEIST TS2

AP2 718 3-PW
    VOKEY SM7 52 56 60
    NEWPORT
  • teedub21teedub21 Advanced Members Posts: 83
    edited February 11
    I fell into the "club ho" category this last summer. Sold my Ping G irons after buying a set of used i200's. They weren't nearly as hard to hit as I thought and felt way better than my "G" irons. Then along came the 50% deal on gen one PXG's so I ordered a set of those in XF, a "game improvement" iron. They felt great but looked a bit chunky to my eye. Played those and got some crazy idea I wanted to try a more bladed club for the fun of it, I am a 20 handicap after all. Missed a nice used set of TItleist MB irons but found a nice set of Mizuno 18-SC's with KBS 120 shafts in the lefty buy sell section and took the plunge. They looked pretty small but they appealed to my eye. Took them to the range and gave them a shot. First few were low stingers but once I got the feel for them they weren't nearly as hard to hit as I'd expected. And when you find the center of the face, the feel is almost no feel at all, so smooth. Gave up some distance from the PXG's but I attribute that to more conventional lofts on the Mizunos. I've gamed the Mizunos a few rounds now, even in winter conditions and scored the same if not better than with my PXG "game improvement" irons.

Next chapter, found a deal on a barely hit set of Titleist MB 716 irons and bought them to continue the experiment. They are definitely smaller and harder to hit than the Mizunos but I'm going to give them a try on the course when the weather is better.

After that rambling story, my point is, I'm a 20 handicap and have gamed the Mizunos and will continue to do so. The PXG's are going to go up for sale, along with my i200's. The Titleist's feel a lot more harsh on mis-hits than the Mizunos and the 18-SC's are bliss when struck in the sweet spot!
  • Crooksc17Crooksc17 Advanced Members Posts: 710 ✭✭
    For those that have tried both, how much more forgiving are the SC than MB?

I have a 5-PW set of MB but could use more forgiveness in the longer irons.
  • KevinnzKevinnz Advanced Members Posts: 142
    Had sc in my bag for about 5 rounds, practised abit too but couldnt get myself into playing them. Sorta very mundane set, not too excited with the feel but it doesnt feel bad, not very long but up in there, not bad looking but the topline could be thinner and the blade can be slightly longer to look great.

Sold them and got a set of 0311T, better off center misses, longer, feels way softer and thinner topline.
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Advanced Members Posts: 444 ✭✭
    Crooksc17 wrote:

I do not notice a single difference in forgiveness between them. I have over 100 rounds with my set now.
    [font=georgia,serif]Ping G400 Max - Kuro Kage XD 70g[/font]
    Ping G400 3w - Tour 70 Callaway Epic SZ 3w
    Ping G400 2h - Tour 80 Callaway Apex 2h
    Ping i210 PW-4i - [font=georgia, serif]DG X100 Mizuno Mp18's PW-3i[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Ping[/font][font=georgia, serif] [/font][font=georgia, serif]G410 3 Crossover -[/font][font=georgia, serif] Tour 80 Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60[/font]
    Ping Glide 50, 56, 60 Evnroll ER2
    [font=georgia, serif]Taylormade [/font][font=georgia, serif]Spider X [/font][font=georgia, serif]slant neck Odyssey #7 RSX[/font]
  • mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Advanced Members Posts: 302
    Had my set of sc8-pw, 5 flihi mmc, 6-7 MMc. Very happy overall. Always been grain flow forged feel that I love and this coming from ap2 player for years. I think they’re coming out w new mp line soon and of course titleist will be realsing 720s I guess in fall. If your looking to

Step in now I’d hold off a little until March/April and see what’s coming out w mizzy. Exciting times indeed.
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Advanced Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    Crooksc17 wrote:

Zero difference in my opinion. The vcg's are almost identical if I recall.
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight Advanced Members Posts: 3,171 ✭✭
    Waiting to see the stats of the 919 tour and forged on MPF ^
    Nike Vapor Fly 10.5 Tensei Blue 55 X
    Nike Vapor Fly 15 Tensei Blue 65F X
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3up)[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Origin B1-01 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]35" put[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ter[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike RZN Tour Platinum[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike TW 71 White/Pure Platinum[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 71 Wolf Grey/University Red[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 University Red/Black[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 Metallic Silver/Black[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 Black/University Red[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 Midnight Navy/Black[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Lunar Vapor Storm Black/Solar Red[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Performance Cart IV Black/Silver[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Vapor Fly Umbrella[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag Boy [/font]Tri-Swivel II Push-Cart Black
  • tgolfer78tgolfer78 Advanced Members Posts: 166
    how would these compare to AP2???

They look so good at address. So good.
  • KevinnzKevinnz Advanced Members Posts: 142
    tgolfer78 wrote:

how would these compare to AP2???

They look so good at address. So good.

Ap2 looks better at address but lofts are weaker by 2deg. Ap2 is more like a muscle back blade
  • theboyslatertheboyslater Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Got mine last May and have loved them ever since. I am also a sweeper and after hitting Ping i210s fat for a few months I made the switch after getting a great deal and haven't looked back. So easy to get through the turf for a sweeper and feel great. I hit them further than AP2s, and I would say mis hits are punished the same. I would like to try the 919s but they don't come in left handed!
  • johnroyal519johnroyal519 Advanced Members Posts: 80

Got mine last May and have loved them ever since. I am also a sweeper and after hitting Ping i210s fat for a few months I made the switch after getting a great deal and haven't looked back. So easy to get through the turf for a sweeper and feel great. I hit them further than AP2s, and I would say mis hits are punished the same. I would like to try the 919s but they don't come in left handed!

you hit the MP18 SC further than AP2?
  • RodCRodC Advanced Members Posts: 350 ✭✭
    I have them since November 2017 IIRC. I was coming from M2 irons, replaced them with G400 irons which I hated .... g400 lasted only two months.

Went to CLub Champion for a fitting and tried many many irons.

Loved the Mizuno got 4-PW and they are still on the bag today.

From what I get, It makes you a better hitter ... M2 are long and forgiving but muted the bad shots, so you won’t learn where to hit.

Mizuno sweet spot is so rewarding that it makes you want to hit it there.

Can’t say enough of MP18SC. EXCELLENT.

I’m a 14 HCP

Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter