ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Hypothetical: PGA player uses $1 ball. What Happens?

2»

Comments

• BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭
    edited February 15
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,897 ✭✭
    I've been playing with a Wilson Ultra ball. Got a free sleeve with a scramble last year. I'm very impressed with it. Granted, the greens are very soft here in NJ right now, but I've been backing them up on the greens. There are some decent balls out there for a $1 a piece.

Guy I played with 2 weeks ago hit a chip and the ball stopped way short. He started yelling and cursing about the gosh darn Titleist ball and how they don't roll.
  • Matt JMatt J Advanced Members Posts: 8,570 ✭✭
    edited February 15
    TinCupping wrote:

Matt J wrote:

They couldn't stop the ball on most of the greens they see, the surface is just too firm, gotta have spin.

Wanna bet? I've watched a guy named Mike "18 Putts" McGee zip a range ball back 10' on a concrete green.

With a legal club from more than 150 yards? Did he also knock a pelican off of a post from inside the bar? Asking for a friend.
  • grm24grm24 Advanced Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    NJpatbee wrote:

The tour pros would adjust and still shoot rounds in the 60's playing a different type of golf. TF Strata made a legitimate tour ball but they were not $1 each.
    And that ball won 2 majors in 1998 with Mark O'Meara.
    Matt J wrote:
    TinCupping wrote:

Matt J wrote:

They couldn't stop the ball on most of the greens they see, the surface is just too firm, gotta have spin.

Wanna bet? I've watched a guy named Mike "18 Putts" McGee zip a range ball back 10' on a concrete green.

With a legal club from more than 150 yards? Did he also knock a pelican off of a post from inside the bar? Asking for a friend.

Gary , you know where the door is image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />. Haha
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Advanced Members Posts: 2,663 ✭✭
    edited February 16
    pros actually use 0$ balls, which are worth 1$ but we pay 5$+ for that ball.

I used to play with a former pro football player..favourite ball = pinnacle. With his swing speed he had no problem backing this thing up whenever he wanted. fly it high and land it soft too..from 5 iron to pw. balls to the moon and down. very jealous.
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Nike Vapor Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Advanced Members Posts: 2,316 ✭✭
    Aren't the $1 balls today better than the **** the pros played 30 years ago? Those guys went low back then.
    Callaway Fusion
    Pinhawk SL 5w
    TM Burner Superfast 4h
    TM Burner XD 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • MikeN67MikeN67 Members Posts: 4

They should have a top flight tournament lol

Or the dreaded Molitor tourney. Closest thing to a rock I've hit on purpose!
    Driver: Taylor Made M1 (2017) X flex
    Fairway Woods: Callaway X Graffaloy Pro-Launch Blue
    Hybrid: Sonartec MD 23 deg
    Irons 4-PW: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus3 120g Stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CG10 52, 56, 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3 Circa 1998 (Reconditioned by SC Custom Studio)
    Putter: Odyssey EXO Seven S - Super Stroke Slim 3.0 - 34"
    Congressional Clubhouse in pic background :-)
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,380 ✭✭
    Guys used to carry a ring to make sure the balls were not out of round

I think Jack said 2-3 per doz were out
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • GMRGMR Advanced Members Posts: 1,051
    sdandrea wrote:

Aren't the $1 balls today better than the **** the pros played 30 years ago? Those guys went low back then.

"Better" is relative. Balatas had a lot of issues relative to the current crop but insufficient spin wasn't one of them. Courses were also shorter and greens were nowhere near as firm and fast as many of today's setups. Not all that comparable.
  • tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Advanced Members Posts: 482
    Years ago my parents followed Gary Player in the Open. On one hole after he finished playing it his caddie Rabbit flipped my Mom his ball. It was a Topflite, the original one with the small dimples and rock hard. Gary was using the brand on holes into the wind.
  • puttsandpimsputtsandpims Members Posts: 40
    Q

Years ago my parents followed Gary Player in the Open. On one hole after he finished playing it his caddie Rabbit flipped my Mom his ball. It was a Topflite, the original one with the small dimples and rock hard. Gary was using the brand on holes into the wind.

It’s illegal to change your ball during tourney play I think?
  • Matt JMatt J Advanced Members Posts: 8,570 ✭✭
    BB28403 wrote:

It’s illegal to change your ball during tourney play I think?

One Ball Condition. It's a local rule for competition and I think it's relatively new. Used to have to hole out with the same ball unless it was damaged, but you could use a different brand or model on the tee box of the next hole.

https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=124&Rule=100
  • StonedudeStonedude Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I think there would be a few shots lost here and there. Most importantly, I think there would be a decrease in super low rounds.

Their driving distances would increase 15 yards on average, making their second shots closer yet. Someone recommended the Pinnacle Soft for a good winter ball, so I tried it and it is crazy good even for putting. Tour pros would figure it out in short order image/fan_1.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fan_1:' />
2»