Putting drill that seems to work well - may help you

getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
Some of you who frequent this site enough will know that putting has been my Achilles for a while. I believe I've turned the corner. That belief is based on the last 2 rounds played where I putted with feel of line and speed and nearly zero thought about stroke (other than smooth in the transition).

I do believe i stumbled onto a drill that may be of use to you other knuckleheads.

Azinger has a video where he talks about putting a golf ball between your lead wrist and the grip. That just felt awkward to me because I tend to have very little space there. I do, however, have a good bit of space between my training wrist and the grip.

I prefer a slight forward press to initiate the stroke. With that forward press I tend to get a bit wrist and lose a little face control.

So I started practicing with a golf ball between my grip and trail wrist. Makes such a difference keeping the face under control and really helps with the feel of a shoulder rocking stroke.

So try it out if you get wristy/ handsy. Maybe it'll help you.

Comments

• MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    Can you share the video?

Also, are you choking up on the putter or does this only apply to folks with arm-lock style putters / left hand low grips? When I putt (standard grip), there's definitely no grip to place a ball between my lead wrist and the putter. Perhaps this applies to the trail wrist for standard grippers? Kinda like the putting cube?
    Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Tensei PO
    3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
    Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2 - AOP Oval Track
  • MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    BTW - not to hijack, but this article greatly improved my putting: http://www.golfwrx.com/481742/a-guide-secret-to-better-putting/

The key bit? Hip rotation. After reading this I started thinking exclusively about keeping my hips stable and anchored, and hitting the center of the face (did you SEE that wear spot on Tiger's putter? image/ohmy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />) It did wonders from 10' in. I still need to learn to lag.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Tensei PO
    3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
    Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2 - AOP Oval Track
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    MysteryV wrote:

Can you share the video?

Also, are you choking up on the putter or does this only apply to folks with arm-lock style putters / left hand low grips? When I putt (standard grip), there's definitely no grip to place a ball between my lead wrist and the putter. Perhaps this applies to the trail wrist for standard grippers? Kinda like the putting cube?

I grip conventionally so it's a drill I find useful for that grip, trail wrist.

Not sure about the putting cube, not sure what it is.

I'd share the video but I always have a hard time.finding it. I think it's a golf.channel video from several years back.
    MysteryV wrote:

BTW - not to hijack, but this article greatly improved my putting: http://www.golfwrx.com/481742/a-guide-secret-to-better-putting/

The key bit? Hip rotation. After reading this I started thinking exclusively about keeping my hips stable and anchored, and hitting the center of the face (did you SEE that wear spot on Tiger's putter? image/ohmy.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />) It did wonders from 10' in. I still need to learn to lag.

Hip rotation has plagued me for years. I finally found that by standing slightly pidgeon toed, they can't rotate very easily
  • fmzipfmzip Members Posts: 245
    edited Feb 12, 2019 9:10am #6
    fmzip wrote:

Is this the drill?

[url="

Very close. I found the ball between the lead wrist and grip to be odd feeling since I have my hands forward. The ball between the trail wrist feels better and, I think, achieves the same thing. -for a conventional grip

For left hand low, the drill in the video would be good.

The premis is the same, reducing handle movement that's independent from the shoulder/arm movement (getting handsy).
  • fmzipfmzip Members Posts: 245
    edited Feb 12, 2019 11:26am #8
    I used to have one of these which seemed to serve the same purpose:

http://bestputtingtr...er-putting-aid/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file