Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Flawed Question

Colin LColin L Members Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Feb 11, 2019 2:53pm in Rules of Golf and Etiquette #1
This genuinely came up in my homework, Mr Bean, and so no ticking off, thanks.

Here's #41 in Lew Blakey's 500 Question Quiz:

If a player decides his or her ball in a bunker is unplayable, there are two options that require the ball to be dropped in the bunker and only one option that allows relief outside the bunker.

FALSE

As it stands, the answer could be either True or False. What further bit of information is needed in order to determine which is the correct answer?

Comments

• sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Colin L wrote:

This genuinely came up in my homework, Mr Bean, and so no ticking off, thanks.

Here's #41 in Lew Blakey's 500 Question Quiz:

If a player decides his or her ball in a bunker is unplayable, there are two options that require the ball to be dropped in the bunker and only one option that allows relief outside the bunker.

FALSE

As it stands, the answer could be either True or False. What further bit of information is needed in order to determine which is the correct answer?

I'll bite. Aren't there two options for relief outside the bunker?
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether the previous shot was from the bunker or not.

Ah, you're on to something there. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll rephrase my original post.

The question refers to 'require' and 'allow'
  • Colin LColin L Members Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I was thinking of. If the previous shot was played from outside the bunker, there are two options which allow the ball to be played outside the bunker: back on the line and stroke and distance. If the previous shot was played from the bunker, there is only one option outside the bunker - back on the line but after posting, I realised that means there are three options requiring you to drop in the bunker and so that seems to make the answer false anyway. But finally, I'm not sure in terms of the wording that that does make the answer false since if there are three options requiring your ball to be dropped in the bunker, it is true to say that there are two such options.

In the end it's a bit messy as is the state of my brain. Questions like this are a test of verbal detective work and little to do with the ability to go up to a situation on the course and give a player his options or sort out what he has done. Irritating. image/angry2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry22:' />
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Colin L wrote:

That's what I was thinking of. If the previous shot was played from outside the bunker, there are two options which allow the ball to be played outside the bunker: back on the line and stroke and distance. If the previous shot was played from the bunker, there is only one option outside the bunker - back on the line but after posting, I realised that means there are three options requiring you to drop in the bunker and so that seems to make the answer false anyway. But finally, I'm not sure in terms of the wording that that does make the answer false since if there are three options requiring your ball to be dropped in the bunker, it is true to say that there are two such options.

In the end it's a bit messy as is the state of my brain. Questions like this are a test of verbal detective work and little to do with the ability to go up to a situation on the course and give a player his options or sort out what he has done. Irritating. image/angry2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry22:' />

Agree. IMO questions like this do not teach you anything.
  • SawgrassSawgrass Members Posts: 15,257 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Bean wrote:

Colin L wrote:

Agree. IMO questions like this do not teach you anything.
    I certainly agree with you in spirit. But I'm amused to note that questions are more often created to test you than to teach you. (Though this one seems to have shot itself in the foot either way.)
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this shows that developing a test about the Rules of Golf is a little like writing the Rules of Golf themselves. Its extremely difficult to consider every possible permutation, those often become evident only after you put it into action.
    davep043 wrote:

I guess this shows that developing a test about the Rules of Golf is a little like writing the Rules of Golf themselves. Its extremely difficult to consider every possible permutation, those often become evident only after you put it into action.
    I wrote a line, then my caddie stood behind an extension of my thought while I was trying to take a stance on the issue.
    Sawgrass wrote:

davep043 wrote:

I wrote a line, then my caddie stood behind an extension of my thought while I was trying to take a stance on the issue.

Deliberately? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They must have people on the NFHS test committee working for the USGA.
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    SNIPERBBB wrote:

USGA does get blamed for a lot of stuff they didn’t do....

HitEmTrue wrote:

SNIPERBBB wrote:

USGA does get blamed for a lot of stuff they didn't do....
    I blame them for my crappy swing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file