Can I overcome my ocd when it comes to my golf bag

RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Members Posts: 726 ✭✭
So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I’m trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I’m not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I’m a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

Comments

• dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    I prefer it if everything doesnt match.....never had a bag of one brand
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,271 ✭✭
    I'll tell you what. You might be joking around a little but go out and play. That'll stop you worrying about equipment. Works for me every time.

Play with people, too. You won't be able to look at your cute little matching set after getting smoked by a guy playing a bag of beat up sticks he doesn't seem to give two sh!ts about.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange 60-X
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.5)
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Black (23)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Members Posts: 296 ✭✭
    I was like you once. I know a few who still are. Then I discovered the wonderful world of being a club ho. I haven't looked back since.
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I have the same problem. OCD and all.
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Members Posts: 725 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 5:03pm #6
    I keep trying to find that magical combination of all one brand. This year I'm trying to go one brand again with a Ping bag & a Cobra bag. It's gonna work this time... I just know it....LOL.
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭
    I've given up on a one-brand bag because Cobra essentially has one style of hybrid (with rails or without) that doesn't quite suit me as well as some other hybrids. I could easily go 12 or 13 clubs of the same brand, but I can't make myself sacrifice strokes for brand OCD.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Nike MC-02W
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-02W ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • joker21joker21 Members Posts: 419
    I was same way. Everything had to match but realized I will shoot better scores with different equipment. That’s why I have mixed bag.
    Driver TBD
    3 wood TBD
    Mizuno CLK 19* & 22*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 5 iron
    Mizuno JPX 900F 6-GW
    Wedges TBD 54* & 58*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭
    Can you overcome your OCD WRT a single brand? Only you know.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭
    As many times as I’ve tried I always come back to a full Titleist bag.
  • LambLamb LondonMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I'm trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I'm not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I'm a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

I am the exact opposite of you. I feel if they match that means I have not looked around enough and just got lazy and picked the same brand.
  • LemondeLemonde Members Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I’m ocd on some things golf, but matching brands isn’t one of them.
    Driver - TM M5 Tour 435 10.5 Tensei Stock Orange X
    On Order - TM Original One Mini 13.5 Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - TM M6 19 Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
    Irons - W/S C300 Forged 5-GW KBS Tour V XStiff
    Wedge - Mizuno S18 56
    Wedge - TM Hi Toe 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭
    I’m more fastidious about my scores than matching clubs
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Members Posts: 726 ✭✭
    You guys have talked me off the ledge. I’m going for it!!

Multiple brands are a coming
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭
    I’m OCD about people saying they have OCD about trivial things
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,723 ✭✭
    I'm OCD about not having matching clubs.

Nevermind, that wouldn't bother me that much.
  • chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    “Tools not jewels”
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,993 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 7:56pm #18

You say that now. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

In the grand scheme of things, there are worse things to occupy our thoughts. It's not big deal either way. Nothing to stress over.

Your socks and shoes match brands, right?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • spring7spring7 Members Posts: 675 ✭✭
    do what you want, but just realize that like 90% of equipment people think 1 brand bags look stupid, does that help? lol

Ping G400 10.5* Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 70
    Titleist 816H1 20* Diamana Blue 80S+
    Titleist 718 AP1 5-G KBS Tour 90
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52*
    Callaway PM Grind '19 56*
    Callaway PM Grind 60*
    Ping Redwood Anser

• rawbuffalorawbuffalo New YorkMembers Posts: 280 ✭✭

Good to hear! The last thing you want to do is be forced into a club that you don’t like as much just because it matches brand. Best thing to do with ocd is to not think about it, but that’s easier said than done lol
    Ryan3773 wrote:

I’m OCD about people saying they have OCD about trivial things

I am really ocd about people coming into threads and being a$$ puppets!!
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,993 ✭✭
    Golf OEMs should hand out free hats at OCD conventions. People will spend thousands just so their clubs match the free hat. I was in the San Diego airport and PGAstore was having a blowout sale on PING merchandise. I didn't own any PING clubs except my old Anser. but I bought, a hat, shirt, vest, and shorts for like $50 total. Now, I have PING irons and a PING 3 wood and thinking about a PING driver. LOL.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    Would have been cooler if you called him a butt puppet. Nonetheless, I have never done a 1 brand bag. With how OEM's manufacture golf clubs these days, it would be very easy to do a full complete bag of any of them. Except Cobra. They don't make putters anymore.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • uglandeuglande Members Posts: 136 ✭✭

So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I'm trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I'm not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I'm a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

I have gone back and forth from wanting to match everything to wanting a total mish-mash with every club having its own identity ... In any case, I definitely have golf-gear OCD and probably spend more time tinkering with, thinking about, and researching golf clubs than I do actually playing golf. Sad.
    Wood (8.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Mitsubishi Diamana White LTD
    Wood (13.5) TITLEIST TS3 - Mitsubishi Diamana White LTD
    Iron (17.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (21.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (23.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (26.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (30.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (35.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Iron (40.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - Project X
    Wedge (45.0) VOKEY SM7-F - Dynamic Gold
    Wedge (50.0) VOKEY SM7-F - Dynamic Gold
    Wedge (54.0) VOKEY SM7-S - Dynamic Gold
    Wedge (60.0) VOKEY SM7-D - Dynamic Gold
    Putter SCOTTY CAMERON Bullseye Flange (ACIII)
    Ball TITLEIST ProV1x
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,857 ✭✭
    Do what I do, one brand per bag area

One for woods

One brand for hybrids

One for irons

One for wedges

One for a putter

5 brands ... and you still have ball and glove and bag and head overs and clothing and shoes to play with

One brand limits your potential for maxing out your game thru all available options

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,723 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

One for woods

One brand for hybrids

One for irons

One for wedges

One for a putter

5 brands ... and you still have ball and glove and bag and head overs and clothing and shoes to play with

One brand limits your potential for maxing out your game thru all available options

Funny, that's pretty much what I do, too.
    cardoustie wrote:

One for woods

One brand for hybrids

One for irons

One for wedges

One for a putter

I like it
  • AC in TXAC in TX Members Posts: 725 ✭✭
    Does one brand for everything except for 2 different brand putters count as multiple brands?
    The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:
    Ping G-400 Max Tour 65
    Ping G-400 5w Alta CB 65
    Ping G-400 3h Alta CB 70
    Ping G-700 5 to SW Alta CB
    Ping Glide Forged 58 S300
    SeeMore Pure Center Blade 33"
    And maybe room for one more?
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    All of the top manufacturers make top notch stuff. You can have just as good of a handicap with a full Ping bag as you can with a different brand name on every club. Justin Rose seems to be playing just as well with a brand new manufacturer. Launch monitors have caused this conversation more so than ever because someone took 10 swings and got 1 more yard with a certain club. If having all matching clubs makes you happier and more comfortable playing, there’s the possibility that more confident feeling will help. Golf is a sport of emotion just look at Sergio.
  • ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,839 ✭✭
    Lol, in the minority? Yes, you are, but I've read several other posters with the same synopsis and I chuckle every time, you guys should start your own sub forum and commiserate together. Too bad Callaway didn't make cars and house goods, I digress. Best of luck with your "OCD"!
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 9:46pm #31
    It comes down to brand loyalty. There's people that love 1 brand and find that their equipment works the best for them. The full Titleist bag is common because all their clubs have the same feel and what have you - if someone likes 718MB, chances are they like SM7, Scotty Cameron and TS/9XX driver. For me, I like Mizuno clubs, will be getting Mizuno woods through to 9 iron but I prefer Cleveland wedges and my Ping putter.
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones