ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Can I overcome my ocd when it comes to my golf bag

RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Advanced Members Posts: 663 ✭✭
So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I’m trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I’m not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I’m a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

Comments

• dunndunn Advanced Members Posts: 6,353 ✭✭
    I prefer it if everything doesnt match.....never had a bag of one brand
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Advanced Members Posts: 2,893 ✭✭
    I'll tell you what. You might be joking around a little but go out and play. That'll stop you worrying about equipment. Works for me every time.

Play with people, too. You won't be able to look at your cute little matching set after getting smoked by a guy playing a bag of beat up sticks he doesn't seem to give two sh!ts about.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.50)
    Fairway: TaylorMade M3 (170)

Irons: Titleist 716 CB (3-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52.12 (F) / 56.14 (F) / 60.10 (S)
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Red
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Advanced Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    I was like you once. I know a few who still are. Then I discovered the wonderful world of being a club ho. I haven't looked back since.
  • DFDLTDFDLT Advanced Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    I have the same problem. OCD and all.
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Advanced Members Posts: 695 ✭✭
    edited February 11
    I keep trying to find that magical combination of all one brand. This year I'm trying to go one brand again with a Ping bag & a Cobra bag. It's gonna work this time... I just know it....LOL.
  • MychMych Advanced Members Posts: 1,728 ✭✭
    I've given up on a one-brand bag because Cobra essentially has one style of hybrid (with rails or without) that doesn't quite suit me as well as some other hybrids. I could easily go 12 or 13 clubs of the same brand, but I can't make myself sacrifice strokes for brand OCD.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • joker21joker21 Advanced Members Posts: 419
    I was same way. Everything had to match but realized I will shoot better scores with different equipment. That’s why I have mixed bag.
    Driver TBD
    3 wood TBD
    Mizuno CLK 19* & 22*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 5 iron
    Mizuno JPX 900F 6-GW
    Wedges TBD 54* & 58*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Advanced Members Posts: 2,315 ✭✭
    Can you overcome your OCD WRT a single brand? Only you know.
    Callaway Fusion
    Pinhawk SL 5w
    TM Burner Superfast 4h
    TM Burner XD 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members, Advanced Members Posts: 3,249 ✭✭
    As many times as I’ve tried I always come back to a full Titleist bag.
  • LambLamb Advanced Members Posts: 229

So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I'm trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I'm not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I'm a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

I am the exact opposite of you. I feel if they match that means I have not looked around enough and just got lazy and picked the same brand.
  • LemondeLemonde Advanced Members Posts: 726
    I’m ocd on some things golf, but matching brands isn’t one of them.
    Driver - TM M3 440 10 Tensei Blue X
    Driver - TM M5 Tour 435 10.5 Tensei Orange X (ON ORDER)
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.5 (ON ORDER)
    Hybrid - TM M6 19 Hzrdus Black 6.5
    Irons - W/S C300 Forged 5-GW KBS Tour V XStiff
    Wedge - Mizuno S18 56
    Wedge - TM Hi Toe 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • toctoc Advanced Members Posts: 2,640 ✭✭
    I’m more fastidious about my scores than matching clubs
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Advanced Members Posts: 663 ✭✭
    You guys have talked me off the ledge. I’m going for it!!

Multiple brands are a coming
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Advanced Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I’m OCD about people saying they have OCD about trivial things
  • Matt JMatt J Advanced Members Posts: 8,548 ✭✭
    I'm OCD about not having matching clubs.

Nevermind, that wouldn't bother me that much.
  • chadly643chadly643 Advanced Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    “Tools not jewels”
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    edited February 11

You say that now. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

In the grand scheme of things, there are worse things to occupy our thoughts. It's not big deal either way. Nothing to stress over.

Your socks and shoes match brands, right?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • spring7spring7 Advanced Members Posts: 669 ✭✭
    do what you want, but just realize that like 90% of equipment people think 1 brand bags look stupid, does that help? lol
    I am so ashamed, I have accidentally almost built a one-brand bag
    My "Titleist Kool-Aid" Bag

Titleist TS3 10.5* Even-flow 65 Blue
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 70
    Titleist 816H2 19* Tensei White 90
    Titleist 816H1 21* Diamana Blue 80S+
    Titleist 718 AP1 5-G KBS Tour 90
    Wilson PMP Raw 56*
    Titleist SM6 60M
    Yes! Tracy 2
    Titleist AVX
  • rawbuffalorawbuffalo Advanced Members Posts: 261

Good to hear! The last thing you want to do is be forced into a club that you don’t like as much just because it matches brand. Best thing to do with ocd is to not think about it, but that’s easier said than done lol
    Ryan3773 wrote:

I am really ocd about people coming into threads and being a$$ puppets!!
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    Golf OEMs should hand out free hats at OCD conventions. People will spend thousands just so their clubs match the free hat. I was in the San Diego airport and PGAstore was having a blowout sale on PING merchandise. I didn't own any PING clubs except my old Anser. but I bought, a hat, shirt, vest, and shorts for like $50 total. Now, I have PING irons and a PING 3 wood and thinking about a PING driver. LOL.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Advanced Members Posts: 3,781
    Would have been cooler if you called him a butt puppet. Nonetheless, I have never done a 1 brand bag. With how OEM's manufacture golf clubs these days, it would be very easy to do a full complete bag of any of them. Except Cobra. They don't make putters anymore.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • uglandeuglande Advanced Members Posts: 98

So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I'm trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I'm not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I'm a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

I have gone back and forth from wanting to match everything to wanting a total mish-mash with every club having its own identity ... In any case, I definitely have golf-gear OCD and probably spend more time tinkering with, thinking about, and researching golf clubs than I do actually playing golf. Sad.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Wood (8.50) TITLEIST TS3 - PX 6.5 Hzrdus Yellow
    Wood (13.5) TITLEIST TS3 - PX 6.5 Hzrdus Yellow
    Wood (21.0) TITLEIST TS2 - PX 6.5 Hzrdus Yellow
    Iron (17.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5 Hzrdus
    Iron (23.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
    Iron (26.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
    Iron (30.5) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
    Iron (35.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
    Iron (40.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
    Iron (45.0) TAYLORMADE P790 - PX 6.5
    Wedge (50.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-F - PX 6.0
    Wedge (54.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-S - PX 6.0
    Wedge (60.0) TITLEIST Vokey SM7-D - PX 6.0
    Putter TAYLORMADE Spider[/font]
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,362 ✭✭
    Do what I do, one brand per bag area

One for woods

One brand for hybrids

One for irons

One for wedges

One for a putter

5 brands ... and you still have ball and glove and bag and head overs and clothing and shoes to play with

One brand limits your potential for maxing out your game thru all available options

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
    cardoustie wrote:

One for woods

One brand for hybrids

One for irons

One for wedges

One for a putter

5 brands ... and you still have ball and glove and bag and head overs and clothing and shoes to play with

One brand limits your potential for maxing out your game thru all available options

Funny, that's pretty much what I do, too.
    cardoustie wrote:

One for woods

One brand for hybrids

One for irons

One for wedges

One for a putter

I like it
  • AC in TXAC in TX Advanced Members Posts: 718 ✭✭
    Does one brand for everything except for 2 different brand putters count as multiple brands?
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G400 Max Tour 65[/font][/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G400 5W Alta CB 65[/font][/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G400 3H Alta CB 70[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping G700 5-[/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]UW Alta CB[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54[/font]° Alta CB
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 SS 60[/font]° Wedge
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Circa 62 no. 6 / SeeMore PCB[/font]
  • DFDLTDFDLT Advanced Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    All of the top manufacturers make top notch stuff. You can have just as good of a handicap with a full Ping bag as you can with a different brand name on every club. Justin Rose seems to be playing just as well with a brand new manufacturer. Launch monitors have caused this conversation more so than ever because someone took 10 swings and got 1 more yard with a certain club. If having all matching clubs makes you happier and more comfortable playing, there’s the possibility that more confident feeling will help. Golf is a sport of emotion just look at Sergio.
  • ode1ode1 Advanced Members Posts: 2,804 ✭✭
    Lol, in the minority? Yes, you are, but I've read several other posters with the same synopsis and I chuckle every time, you guys should start your own sub forum and commiserate together. Too bad Callaway didn't make cars and house goods, I digress. Best of luck with your "OCD"!
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Advanced Members Posts: 132
    edited February 11
    It comes down to brand loyalty. There's people that love 1 brand and find that their equipment works the best for them. The full Titleist bag is common because all their clubs have the same feel and what have you - if someone likes 718MB, chances are they like SM7, Scotty Cameron and TS/9XX driver. For me, I like Mizuno clubs, will be getting Mizuno woods through to 9 iron but I prefer Cleveland wedges and my Ping putter.
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Advanced Members Posts: 750 ✭✭
    When I first started playing consistently I got a full bag fitting of Titleist clubs. Then I came across this website where people Buy, Sell and Trade golf equipment.....

The rest is history and so was the bag full of one brand.
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade M2 Tensie Pro White 60s[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist TS2 Diamana 70s Blueboard[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Callaway Apex 2019 w/ Elevate Tour[/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52.12F Raw [/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade 58* Hi-Toe [/font]
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Scotty Cameron MilSpec 33/350[/font]
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Advanced Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 11

Ryan3773 wrote:

I am really ocd about people coming into threads and being a$$ puppets!!

Not sure how my fake OCD makes me an “a$$ puppet” while yours is fine, but ok.
  • chinaskichinaski Dios mio, man. Advanced Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited February 11
    Well, to be clear, OCD is a real problem; while deciding what clubs goes into your bag isn't.

Also, FWIW, when I see a guy with a full matching set my first impression is: "what a tool".
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Ping Hoofer:

M2 9.5˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60S
    BBA 816 14˚ - Aldila Rogue I/O 70S
    BBA 816 18˚/X2Hot 3H/Z U45 20˚
    Z U45 23˚/z745 4i
    Z745 5-PW DG S300
    SM6 52F/58S or 50F/54S/58S

2014 Newport Select/Jailbird Mini S

Z-Star XV
    [/font]
  • ckayckay Advanced Members Posts: 3,843 ✭✭
    I play TM woods because I like them and have had great success in customer service if I crack a head. Irons I couldn’t care less of the make as long as they look good to me at address and I can get a good deal. Wedges have to match so it is a similar head design. Putters are usually a Cameron since I have an arsenal of them but will throw in something else here and there.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Advanced Members Posts: 132
    edited February 11
    chinaski wrote:

Also, FWIW, when I see a guy with a full matching set my first impression is: "what a tool".

Why? What's it to you what someone else plays. If someone was sponsored by a manufacturer would you still think they're a tool? Maybe they just like the brand. If it was a full bag of PXGs I could understand
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • chinaskichinaski Dios mio, man. Advanced Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited February 11
    rt_charger wrote:

chinaski wrote:

Why? What's it to you what someone else plays. If someone was sponsored by a manufacturer would you still think they're a tool? Maybe they just like the brand

It really means nothing to me what someone plays, but the OP was asking for opinions so I gave mine. It's blatantly obvious is someone is sponsored vs a fanboy. I have some friends that play all the same brand. I tease them for it all the time.

Edit: I'm being instigative and a ****. No more cocktails and internet for me
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Ping Hoofer:

M2 9.5˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60S
    BBA 816 14˚ - Aldila Rogue I/O 70S
    BBA 816 18˚/X2Hot 3H/Z U45 20˚
    Z U45 23˚/z745 4i
    Z745 5-PW DG S300
    SM6 52F/58S or 50F/54S/58S

2014 Newport Select/Jailbird Mini S

Z-Star XV
    [/font]
  • ago33ago33 Advanced Members Posts: 2,135
    Im OCD about my shafts. They all have to match.

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • rstlnerstlne AEIOU and sometimes Y West CoastClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 195 ClubWRX
    Bernhard Langer is my hero for WITB.
  • KaiserSozeKaiserSoze Advanced Members Posts: 87 ✭✭

I match only the brand and model of my graphite shafts through the hybrids and woods and the steel shaft brand and model throughout irons and wedges. Other than that, no manufacturer has a lock on any position in my bag.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,211 ✭✭
    Ryan3773 wrote:

OCD includes which type peanut butter you buy. The trivial things are worse than the major things. For instance. I drink from only one coffee cup. Ever. I wash it by hand each morning. Why ? Coffee taste better out of it. Lol. Of course it doesn’t. But I think it does.

Funny thing about my current setup. It’s a lot of ping. But it works really well. But no chance my TM 3 wood goes anywhere . Also have a bridge stone hybrid that gets swapped in. Why ? Those clubs just work. Period. I say keep your mind open to performance and whatever brand it is . It is. If same then who cares. Just don’t buy the matching bag and umbrella. Lol.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • WrigglesWriggles Advanced Members Posts: 3,133 ✭✭

Many years ago, I was in back of a foursome, playing alone, and enjoying the slow pace on a summer day. One guy ahead of me, was dressed like Payne Stewart, knickers, etc. He had a huge leather Callaway staff bag filled with the latest Callaway equipment. Must have had $3-4K in his gear.

I've beaten guys like that with a $9 yard sale kit. No brag intended, and if anyone thinks not, I apologize.

Whatever floats your boat.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,798 ClubWRX
    Rod, I've gone through the same OCD and still struggle with it some. I've had a full Callaway bag, a full Ping bag, a full TM bag, and a full Titleist bag at different points over the past 10 years. However, lately I've been trying new clubs from various OEMs and I have made a commitment to myself to be honest about which clubs really work and which ones really don't.

My first step to breaking the OCD was what Cardoustie recommended - woods from one OEM, irons from one OEM and wedges from one OEM (putter is a wild card).

This really helped break the need for brand loyalty. Since, I've been able to branch out and have wood from different OEMS in the bag. My one soft spot that I can't seem to shake is the wedges - I usually carry 3 wedges (50, 54, 58/60) and like for them to be the same. However, I have been able to go out with two or three different wedges and play just fine. It feels weird but I can make it work. Baby steps.

I'm still a ho, and likely always will be. I rotate clubs often, always seeking the unicorn. Part of me loves trying new things, and as a lefty its difficult to find demo clubs. If I want to demo a club I'd rather buy it and take it out on the course for testing. If I don't like it, I sell it.
    Callaway Epic 9* - Diamana B+ 60X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway 13 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
    I really look at my game as Carnoustie mentioned, divided out in parts. Driver, 3W, putter, and each wedge has a very specific role, so they are all very specific clubs. I play 19 to 27 degrees in hybrids and the heads and shafts match and are gapped from 215 to 185. 6 iron through PW is the same way, a matching set.

I don't think it hurts a lot of guys to play a single OEM bag, but it certainly doesn't intimidate me on the first tee. I'm sure my bag full of headcovers has a similar effect. Let your playing do the talking. If you play better with one OEM then by all means. I find that unlikely and more likely that you went with the logic of 'matchy matchy'and placed your order.
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Advanced Members Posts: 943 ✭✭
    I don’t think I’m OCD about my clubs, I just think Ping makes the best equipment.
    Ping G SF Tec Driver
    Ping G5 3 wood 15*
    Ping G5 5 wood 18*
    Ping G5 hybrid 22*
    Ping G irons 4/UW
    Ping Gorge Tour 56* SW
    Ping iN Craz-e putter
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Advanced Members Posts: 408

So... Iam really bad about matching everything in my bag. This year I’m trying to break away as I love the look of the Callaway smoke apex irons but I’m not sure I want to play anything else. Maybe wedges. Is it weird I feel the need to match everything to one brand? I’m a 7 handicap what knows what he is. I have no misconception of being a tour pro it just bothers me for some reason. Am I in the minority here?

To me it makes a lot of sense for at least two reasons.

First golf is a game of trust and if you trust a brand you can possibly play better, also if out there there is an hybrid that suits you perfect.

Second, not everybody has the luck to have a place where to find a huge variety of alternatives or maybe doesn’t have the time, hence you come back to the first point.
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members, Advanced Members Posts: 3,249 ✭✭
    most companies make a solid playable bag from top to bottom,
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Advanced Members Posts: 6,336 ✭✭
    It is your bag do what you want.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.