Is the Pro V1 in trouble?

Comments

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:

wkuo3 wrote:
    Not many are Pro V1X winners. I think the Titleist dynasty had run it's course, especially after the Costco's original 4 piece K Sig. at $20 per doz. That was an industry shaker ! I wonder if the player counts will drop if they do away with the lucrative bonus paid to the player staffs. Titleist seemed to pay their player staff the highest endorsement fee. Is The Titleist still paying the tee off bonus of $5,000 ? Or the tee price had gone up or down nowadays ?

Ksig although a good ball was nothing more than viral hype and so hard to get I have only seen them once in the store and have only found one on the course (and I play 50+ rounds a year). This is no different than in years past when some cheaper price ball goes viral. No different than the Preciept Lady, no different than the MG, etc.. Ksig will sell but if they tried to compete with the big dogs and sell in retail golf shops it would be a dud

Long as Titleist keeps with the overall ball count every week like they have been for over a decade they will be ok. Saying "Not many are ProV1x winners" is kind of silly. **** most of the TP5 wins are TP5x and that does not mean the TP5 line as a whole is in trouble.

Yir correct that even the original K Sig as popular as it was on the internet I had only played with several golfers whom had it, and I only play about 30 rounds last year.

The point is, once the myth of the price of golf balls between MSRP Vs. VALUE is busted, the earth is actually flat and the search for the end of the world ENDED. golfers are now more open to explore the other brands of golf balls instead of grabbing the Titleist as the life line in hope to better their golf game.

In fact, the edge the Pro V1 had over the rest against the rest of the field is diminishing, wishing to hold on to the leader's thrown without innovation is , just a wishful thinking.

I don't know if I'll see it but, eventually a golf ball with a single material will dominate the market. I just wish whatever they come up with will be environmentally friendly besides the playability.
  • T.B.T.B. Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    Seems like lots of good balls on the market,, but the pro V1 still is the bench mark for all balls. Until these other ball companies have the trust that the pro V1 has with golfers,,, you’ll see people play different brands but they’re trying to find something as good as the pro V1
  • I moved away from Titleist to Bridgestone
  • L29L29 Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    ProV1 is no doubt still the benchmark, however, the only thing we can be sure of is the assurance of change. Titleist at some point in the future will become just one of the boys, but not yet. They were the original innovator of the modern ball, so there is a brand loyalty there to all those out there who were in their golf prime when the original came out years ago. The ball felt amazing and was leaps and bounds above everything else. All those loyalist will have to "die off" if you will to tilt the scales back to neutral for other manufacturers who have technically caught up.

The human brain will see what it wants to see when brand loyalists are comparing other premium balls to the prov1, despite physics saying there's not much difference at all. Nothing wrong with that-if the prov1 gives someone a mental edge, you need all the edge you can get in this game.
  • provxprovx Members Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I prefer avx over prov1 now, also would rather game tpx, snell, and sxrixon xv
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

As of October titleist had 45% market share down 1%, Callaway had 16% down 1% Tm and Bridgestone had 10% each up 1% each.

It's going to be awhile before anyone catches titleist market share. TM or Bridgestone probavky carch Callaway before anyone them really cut into titleist

Those are overall numbers including DT Soft etc correct? One must think some golfers are going to realized there are tour level balls available at DT Soft or Tour Soft pricing.

BTW, Such a hype when the Tour Soft came out and most people I know who tried it didn't like the performance regardless of price.

Titleist took a long time to have a yellow tour ball and really for those who golf on a budget they have priced themselves out of the premium market.

I wonder if you strictly tallied up retail and online sales (omit proshop and country club sales where Titleist and Pinnacle are the only options) what the split would be.

Is Titleist going away.... no. Are they at risk of losing another 5% market share over the next 5 years. Very good possibility. Question is do they care? If their margins are high enough a 5% hit may be better than weakening their brand perspective by lowering their price.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • Jdavenp3Jdavenp3 Members Posts: 824 ✭✭
    Break81 wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

As of October titleist had 45% market share down 1%, Callaway had 16% down 1% Tm and Bridgestone had 10% each up 1% each.

It's going to be awhile before anyone catches titleist market share. TM or Bridgestone probavky carch Callaway before anyone them really cut into titleist

Those are overall numbers including DT Soft etc correct? One must think some golfers are going to realized there are tour level balls available at DT Soft or Tour Soft pricing.

BTW, Such a hype when the Tour Soft came out and most people I know who tried it didn't like the performance regardless of price.

Titleist took a long time to have a yellow tour ball and really for those who golf on a budget they have priced themselves out of the premium market.

I wonder if you strictly tallied up retail and online sales (omit proshop and country club sales where Titleist and Pinnacle are the only options) what the split would be.

Is Titleist going away.... no. Are they at risk of losing another 5% market share over the next 5 years. Very good possibility. Question is do they care? If their margins are high enough a 5% hit may be better than weakening their brand perspective by lowering their price.

I was one of the testers here on WRX for the Tour Soft. I didnt enjoy it at all. Add the price to it and it wasn't even on the radar. Tried out the AVX, I could use it if I practiced enough with it around the greens. Off the tee it was good-but still not enough to dethrone the Chrome Soft X.

I am going to be honest, when I started playing and was losing 6 balls a round there was zero way I was paying for ProV type balls. Now I am more consistent and I have always played my best golf with w ProV1x, even though I used CSX Truvis (liked the pattern). I am going back to the PV1X this year and going to stay with it for the majority of the season. Every premium ball seems to be a wash until I get around the greens and I just prefer the feel of PV1X's over everything. If they had Truvis it wouldn't even be a thought, the yellow option helps a lot though.
    WITB:

*Taylormade M4 8.75* Evenflow Black HC 6.0 65g
    *Taylormade M4 15* Tensei Blue
    *Taylormade 2014 Rescue TP 18*
    *Taylormade P790 4-AW Nippon Modus 105 T stiff
    *Callaway MD3 Lucky Clover 56* & 60*
    *Taylormade Spider X-navy w/ single sightline
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
    *Nike Vapor React 2 & Nike Air Max 1g
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    Given it's the #1 ball on Tour by 2.5 - 3:1 and it has the same number of Tour wins as Callaway I'd be a bit nervous if I was Titleist.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,048 ✭✭
    I wonder what the PGA trade-in value for used Titleists is? We need a lobbying firm to make those used golf balls worth more!

6t8zack9vt911.gif
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Posts: 817 ✭✭
    Danny Choo wrote:

Genesis Open 2019

Titliest Pro V1-96

Competitors-22

Winner-SRIXON

UPDATED:

Safeway open- Kevin Tway Pro V1

Cimb classic- Mark leishmania Chrome soft

CJ cup-Brooks Koepka Pro V1

Wgc-hsbc championship- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sanderson farms- Cameron Champ Srixon Z star

Shriners- Bryson Dechambeau Bridgestone BX

OHL classic- Matt Kuchar Bridgestone BX

RSM classic- Charles Howell III Pro V1

Hero world challenge- John Rahm TP5

Tournament of champions- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sony Open- Matt Kuchar bridgestone BX

Career builder challenge- A. Long Pro V1

Farmers insurance- Justin Rose Tp5

Phoenix open- Ricky FowlerTP5

Attached pebble beach- Phil Mickelson chrome soft

Genesis Open- J B Holmes Srixon Z Star.

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-3

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-2

75+% of the tour "market", but only 25% of the tour wins.

Hmmm... image/mellow.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' />
  • ChrisGio315ChrisGio315 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭
    Tiger played a Nike ball and won 80 times. During his prime, did we argue Nike was the best ball (over Titleist) because of WIN%? I think not...
    Titleist TS2 (10.5*)
    Titleist TS2 3w (15*)
    Titleist TS2 5w (18*)
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titelist SM7 56*
    Custom Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist AVX

WITB - http://www.golfwrx.c...tb-chrisgio315/
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I think it’ll become interesting to see whether a newer brand makes a break into the tour, such as Vice or Snell, and the corresponding impact (if any) that it has on the consumer market share.
  • BY#99BY#99 Posts: 321 ✭✭
    No offense to Snell and Vice but I do not see anyone on tour playing them. Why would they when the other companies pay you to play their ball? It would be awesome to see someone play a direct to market ball and Snell based on the product and reputation probably has the best chance in my opinion.
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    One thing is certain and that is change. I’m old enough to remember when Wilson used to have an ad that said more majors were won with Wilson irons than all other brands combined.
  • KmacKmac Posts: 679 ✭✭

Tiger played a Nike ball and won 80 times. During his prime, did we argue Nike was the best ball (over Titleist) because of WIN%? I think not...

But it wasnt really a Nike ball..
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭
    L29 wrote:
    They were the original innovator of the modern ball,

If you mean the modern solid core ball with a spinny cover then no they weren't the original innovator. The first to be used, and win, on pro tours was the Topflight Strata and I believe there was another company or two had similar balls out before Titleist did.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭
    GSDriver wrote:

I haven't played a ProV1 I haven't found in close to 10 years, maybe longer.

Marketing only goes so far, still can't convince me that a ProV1 @ $4+ a ball, is that much, if any, better than those I get for $3 or less.

I wonder how many PGA guys play Titleist cuz they're paid to do so? Those guys are good enough, and ball performance close enough across OEMs, that they could likely win with about any brand (except Volvik, as Bubba clearly demonstrated)

I wonder how many PGA guys play non-Titleist balls cuz they're paid to do so?

answer: all of them
  • rightslicerightslice Posts: 150 ✭✭
    There is the ball that changed the ball. LOL I did read a Callaway Engineer say "we haven't even scratched the surface on what golf balls will do in the future"

To relate it to us hacks. If a pen manufacturer gave me $5,000 every Monday morning to use their pen and said pen exploded ink all over my desk I'd think well that sucks. The following Monday I'd have paper towels on hand to clean up while I deposited said 5 grand. repeat every Monday
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:

At one point in time, Sears Roebuck & Company was the #1 retailer in the US, and also had the largest availability of products for delivery, via catalog/phone sales.

And, I'm sure that there were those who said that Sears was never going to go away.

The only thing certain is the uncertainty of how things turn out, whether in business or sports.

This is so true. I remember when Titleist could barely sell clubs, the only thing they were known for was balls and Footjoy products. They weren't really known as a club company till the 1990's. Sure they sold them, but they were inferior and not widely used. MacGregor, Ram, Wilson, Spalding and Hogan were the leaders in selling clubs.

In 1975 no one would have ever thought Most of the companies would be out of business, or the golf business. Wilson is a minor player now, and only exists because of their range of products. Wilson was the most dominant name in golf, similar to TM or Callaway now for many, many years.

It would not surprise me one bit if 10 years from now someone else took the bulk of their market share. Until then they still rule the roost.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,067 ✭✭
    Kmac wrote:

But it wasnt really a Nike ball..

And he played a titleist ball for several years in the beginning iirc
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭
    Not in trouble per se, but definitely losing market share. I used to only want to play ProV but now I'll happily play my TP5X and if I need some more spin, TP5... and if I somehow need even more, then Chrome Soft or Kirkland. In the past year or so, I've really realized how similar most balls are now so I buy mostly on price and feel.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 429 ClubWRX
    I used to play only Pro V1's... but with so many bargain options... I've explored

However, when/ if I play in an event I always seem to go back to the Pro V1

It's still a very good ball and I trust it
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: Engage 52, 56, 60
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • SM8SM8 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Titleist is certainly loosing market share, as other OEM competition stiffens. The argument of 75% of tour means nothing, as 75% of the top 1% of golfers in the world equals zero $.

The margin on balls is such that Titleist will do fine with even half of their current market share.
  • Danny ChooDanny Choo Posts: 136 ✭✭
    UPDATED:

Puerto Rico Open- Martin Trainer Srixon Z Star

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-3

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-3

• Danny ChooDanny Choo Posts: 136 ✭✭
    UPDATED:

WGC-Mexico- Dustin Johnson TP5

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-4

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-3

For all those trying to discredit Choo, I have been on point every prediction. The most trusted ball in golf have not lift a trophy in 5 weeks.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    Danny Choo wrote:

UPDATED:

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-4

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-3

For all those trying to discredit Choo, I have been on point every prediction. The most trusted ball in golf have not lift a trophy in 5 weeks.

It's not just that a Titleist ball player hasn't won in 5 weeks, but the high number of pro's that play Titleist which puts the odds in their favor. Seems the other manufacturers have signed up the hot players.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,607 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

Danny Choo wrote:

UPDATED:

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-4

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-3

It's not just that a Titleist ball player hasn't won in 5 weeks, but the high number of pro's that play Titleist which puts the odds in their favor. Seems the other manufacturers have signed up the hot players.

Wonder how these numbers would stack up if you looked at the Euro PGA Tour and LPGA Tour.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Can we get an updated ball count? Lol
  • Dr. HackDr. Hack Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    The problem with this type of "analysis" is you aren't accounting for selection bias from the ball makers. Titleist may spread their money out amongst more players, but among the top 10-20 guys I would imagine the ball brands are more evenly distributed. The best method would be to find players who changed brands and see how their performance and stats changed. Still, kind of interesting to see.
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,012 ✭✭
    Dr. Hack wrote:

The problem with this type of "analysis" is you aren't accounting for selection bias from the ball makers. Titleist may spread their money out amongst more players, but among the top 10-20 guys I would imagine the ball brands are more evenly distributed. The best method would be to find players who changed brands and see how their performance and stats changed. Still, kind of interesting to see.

Plus you have guys on that list that contractually "have" to use the ball they do because of the clubs they play. Chances are pretty good that some of them probably wouldn't be able to play Titleist even if they wanted to.