Is the Pro V1 in trouble?

1246

Comments

  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    Titleist also has lots of head pros at private clubs on their staff.
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall Jax Beaches, FL.Posts: 2,368 ✭✭
    I have found myself trying everything except Tiitleist the last few years. Titleist will always be my standard but... I like an X ball characteristic but dont care for the feel. That being said, I am trying other companies X balls in search of similar performance and a bit softer feel.



    Currently trying out the TP5X. Tried Chromesoft X last year and really liked the feel but spun too much on approach shots for me. I also just went back to MB's and gained some spin back along with a higher launch so I may be going back to a non X ball...
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • Danny ChooDanny Choo Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Lgpa HSBC Womens ChampionshipSung Hung Park TP5X Winner

    European PGA tour Oman Open Kurt Kitayama TP5X Winner



    ARE YOU GUYS PAYING ATTENTION?? I am focusing on the PGA tour only, but the Pro V1 is getting a beating on all tours.
  • Danny ChooDanny Choo Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited Mar 3, 2019 7:46pm #95
    UPDATED:

    Safeway open- Kevin Tway Pro V1

    Cimb classic- Mark leishmania Chrome soft

    CJ cup-Brooks Koepka Pro V1

    Wgc-hsbc championship- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

    Sanderson farms- Cameron Champ Srixon Z star

    Shriners- Bryson Dechambeau Bridgestone BX

    OHL classic- Matt Kuchar Bridgestone BX

    RSM classic- Charles Howell III Pro V1

    Hero world challenge- John Rahm TP5

    Tournament of champions- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

    Sony Open- Matt Kuchar bridgestone BX

    Career builder challenge- A. Long Pro V1

    Farmers insurance- Justin Rose Tp5

    Phoenix open- Ricky FowlerTP5

    Attached pebble beach- Phil Mickelson chrome soft

    Genesis Open- J B Holmes Srixon Z Star.

    Puerto Rico Open- Martin Trainer Srixon Z Star

    WGC-Mexico- Dustin Johnson TP5

    Honda Classic-Keith Mitchell Pro V1X



    Titliest-5

    Callaway-4

    Taylormade-4

    Bridgestone-3

    Srixon-3
  • hgtiger24hgtiger24 Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Right now? No. Tons of the older crowd still buy pro Vs and only pro v. Among younger golfers? Yea, they are. Out of my entire college golf team as well as guys i've met from other programs very few play pro v. I see more srixon than anything partially because of price point. TP5 is coming in hot and theres even a few guys that have stock from the nike rzns. Pro V is still great, but i don't think they're as dominant in the market as they were. $50 is a lot for a dozen balls.
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 873 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:



    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.








    The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening




    Uhh, what??? They're both in the premium ball category, both have the same price point, not sure how they're "completely different ends of the spectrum"
    XTD 9* TPT 14 Proto
    3 Deep Matrix 8M2
    Vapor Fly Pro 3
    Titleist T-MB 4
    VR Forged 5-9
    SM5 46*
    SSC Don White Grind 53/58
    PM Grind 64
    Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,607 ✭✭
    swgolf12 wrote:

    wfrogge1 wrote:



    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.








    The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening




    Uhh, what??? They're both in the premium ball category, both have the same price point, not sure how they're "completely different ends of the spectrum"




    I think he means performance spectrum;
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • dkr1269dkr1269 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    The Pro V1 is a wonderful ball, possibly the best. But their competition from Callaway to Vice and all between now make balls that are comparable. Some people will like one over the other for various reasons. The competition actually did Titleist a huge favor by raising their prices to Pro V1 levels. As long as the price is close, Titleist won't have any problems selling balls.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,067 ✭✭


    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.




    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:



    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.




    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal




    Is there anybody not being paid to play a ball on tour?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭

    GoGoErky wrote:



    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.




    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal




    Is there anybody not being paid to play a ball on tour?
    Brooks Koepka and Patrick Reed. May be others.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 9:35am #104
    I think the stats demonstrate that like drivers, premium golf balls are at or close to their max potential and there is very little difference between the manufacturers. Personal preference and fitting will dictate which ball is best for an individual but overall it seems any edge Titleist had or claimed to have no longer exists beyond what they choose to pay professionals to select their ball over their competitors.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭
    swgolf12 wrote:

    wfrogge1 wrote:



    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.








    The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening




    Uhh, what??? They're both in the premium ball category, both have the same price point, not sure how they're "completely different ends of the spectrum"






    One ball spins more off irons and wedges than any other on the market while the other is not even close. The AVX is made for players that come in steep and add a lot of spin. A good player that does not come in steep will have issues with the AVX off the tee and out of the rough (not enough spin for many)
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:


    I think the stats demonstrate that like drivers, premium golf balls are at or close to their max potential and there is very little difference between the manufacturers. Personal preference and fitting will dictate which ball is best for an individual but overall it seems any edge Titleist had or claimed to have no longer exists beyond what they choose to pay professionals to select their ball over their competitors.


    As usual, very well said.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:


    GoGoErky wrote:



    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.




    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal




    Is there anybody not being paid to play a ball on tour?
    Brooks Koepka and Patrick Reed. May be others.


    And Reed switched to the Z-Star and said it is a better ball. LOL
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • DZ973DZ973 ClubWRX Posts: 28 ✭✭

    Mannnn “inside sources” yadda yadda...

    You wanna know why Titleist is going to be #1 forever, especially on tours?

    It’s not because of ball flight characteristics, spin numbers or build..... ITS THEIR QUALITY CONTROL.

    Sure the TP5 is an amazing ball. Punches pound for pound with the pro V1. BUT fill a glass with a ton of epsom salt; put a dot (with a sharpie) on 12 TP5s, and put a dot on 12 ProV1s, and then float them.

    Now, does this matter to average joes like us? Absolutely not, but for the pros it’s a HUGE difference. And as the pros keep using titleists flagship ball (no matter what they call it) titleist will still use their same slogan in the commercials, and guys like us will STILL fork over the dough because we see it in the commercial, and hear the tag line.

    (Off my soapbox)

  • BubbBubb Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭

    @DZ973 said:
    Mannnn “inside sources” yadda yadda...

    You wanna know why Titleist is going to be #1 forever, especially on tours?

    It’s not because of ball flight characteristics, spin numbers or build..... ITS THEIR QUALITY CONTROL.

    Sure the TP5 is an amazing ball. Punches pound for pound with the pro V1. BUT fill a glass with a ton of epsom salt; put a dot (with a sharpie) on 12 TP5s, and put a dot on 12 ProV1s, and then float them.

    Now, does this matter to average joes like us? Absolutely not, but for the pros it’s a HUGE difference. And as the pros keep using titleists flagship ball (no matter what they call it) titleist will still use their same slogan in the commercials, and guys like us will STILL fork over the dough because we see it in the commercial, and hear the tag line.

    (Off my soapbox)

    So is Rickie going to see a "HUGE" difference as a result of his recent switch? If not, it's presumably because he has access to balls that have been specially-selected, right? And if the pros have access to specially-selected balls, why would Titleist's quality control be THE difference maker in determining tour usage as you've suggested?

  • ryborybo Members Posts: 2,215 ✭✭

    In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

  • Why do you think they brought out the Yellow ball.

  • starrman77starrman77 Starrman Posts: 405 ✭✭

    Many pro's will continue to play them because they are a good ball and they are free. There are just too many good cheaper options for the rest of us to bother with these at almost $50.00 a dz.

    Ping G SFT 10* 44.5"
    Ping G10 Irons 4 thru UW
    Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
    Ping G #4 crossover
    Titleist Vokey 56* SW
    Ping Cadence Tomcat C putter 34-3/4"
    B330RX Ball
  • backhillbackhill Members Posts: 92 ✭✭

    Three mentions:

    IF you take Rickie's win and very timely switch, Titleist's numbers would look much better with 5 against the field, but the switch was made, and so we have the list we have.

    Most course pro shops (even some retailers) have the PV in stock (not everyone). Sometimes I'm not as certain that I will find a sleeve of what I need on the shelf when I need it regarding the Chrome Soft, TP5, Bridgestones, and Srixons. Outside of the tour trend, the ProV love is still very strong for the people with change in their pocket. I even get excited when I find one out on the course.

    Obviously we are seeing a trend away from the PV on tour. As mentioned before, change is inevitable. When or how that change comes about is unknown. The 2019 TP5(x) numbers make it very interesting for those with high, tour-level, swing speeds.

  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,390 ✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2019 7:18pm #114

    Who wins with what ball does not define the value of a ball like ProV1. The number of ProV1 users, on the other hand, still beat all other balls. Yes, there are many other balls, but this provides facts. https://is.gd/Dj4lVx "Titleist golf ball players have recorded 120 victories around the world, nearly seven times the nearest competitor with 16. Since its introduction in 2000, the Pro V1 golf ball franchise has been the golf ball of choice for more than 2,900 champions worldwide."

    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Tour AD Utility, "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1


  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭

    @Pepperturbo said:
    Who wins with what ball does not define the value of a ball like ProV1. The number of ProV1 users, on the other hand, still beat all other balls. Yes, there are many other balls, but this provides facts. https://is.gd/Dj4lVx "Titleist golf ball players have recorded 120 victories around the world, nearly seven times the nearest competitor with 16. Since its introduction in 2000, the Pro V1 golf ball franchise has been the golf ball of choice for more than 2,900 champions worldwide."

    They are almost all being paid to play the ball. Don't fall for their marketing gimmick. They have like a gazillion players under contract to play their ball which is a large part of the reason they have to charge $48/dz.

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,012 ✭✭

    @backhill said:
    Three mentions:

    IF you take Rickie's win and very timely switch, Titleist's numbers would look much better with 5 against the field, but the switch was made, and so we have the list we have.

    Most course pro shops (even some retailers) have the PV in stock (not everyone). Sometimes I'm not as certain that I will find a sleeve of what I need on the shelf when I need it regarding the Chrome Soft, TP5, Bridgestones, and Srixons. Outside of the tour trend, the ProV love is still very strong for the people with change in their pocket. I even get excited when I find one out on the course.

    Obviously we are seeing a trend away from the PV on tour. As mentioned before, change is inevitable. When or how that change comes about is unknown. The 2019 TP5(x) numbers make it very interesting for those with high, tour-level, swing speeds.

    Can you provide the numbers that show we are obviously seeing a trend away from the PV on tour?

  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,012 ✭✭

    Here's the latest update for those still interested in this.
    Thus far in the 2018-19 professional golf season, Titleist golf ball players have recorded 35 victories around the world. The nearest competitor has 11 victories. The worldwide golf ball count stands at Titleist with 5,573 and the nearest competitor at 721.

    If this not undeniable evidence that the Pro V1 is clearly in trouble, then I don't know what it. They have got to do something before it is too late or they are toast. Must be a lot of late night meetings taking place.

  • FlyOverFlyOver Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
    edited Mar 29, 2019 4:50am #118

    @rybo said:
    In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

    The TP5 is played by DJ, Rahm, Rory, Rose, and Fowler. How can they not have the majority of wins. Those are all top 10 players!

    Add Tiger and Day....The TP5 ball has 7 of the top 15 players in the world. Odds are a TP5 ball will win the Masters.

    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M5 Rocket 3W-Tensei Orange X-stiff shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport modified center shaft putter
    Titleist yellow AVX ball or yellow ProV1X 
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Posts: 1,290 ✭✭

    More players at the Yucatan Masters used the Titleist ProV1 than all other balls.

    COMBINED!

    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭

    @FlyOver said:

    @rybo said:
    In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

    The TP5 is played by DJ, Rahm, Rory, Rose, and Fowler. How can they not have the majority of wins. Those are all top 10 players!

    Add Tiger and Day....The TP5 ball has 7 of the top 15 players in the world. Odds are a TP5 ball will win the Masters.

    Tiger plays a Bridgestone B XS.

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • backhillbackhill Members Posts: 92 ✭✭

    @North Texas said:

    @backhill said:
    Three mentions:

    IF you take Rickie's win and very timely switch, Titleist's numbers would look much better with 5 against the field, but the switch was made, and so we have the list we have.

    Most course pro shops (even some retailers) have the PV in stock (not everyone). Sometimes I'm not as certain that I will find a sleeve of what I need on the shelf when I need it regarding the Chrome Soft, TP5, Bridgestones, and Srixons. Outside of the tour trend, the ProV love is still very strong for the people with change in their pocket. I even get excited when I find one out on the course.

    Obviously we are seeing a trend away from the PV on tour. As mentioned before, change is inevitable. When or how that change comes about is unknown. The 2019 TP5(x) numbers make it very interesting for those with high, tour-level, swing speeds.

    Can you provide the numbers that show we are obviously seeing a trend away from the PV on tour?

    No hard numbers, just subjective optics. I think players on tour are finding more comparable, or better, with other makers. Obviously the PV is still dominating but I think their market share on tour has diminished slightly.

Sign In or Register to comment.