Is the Pro V1 in trouble?

Comments

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB)  3780WRX Points: 382Handicap: 6Members Posts: 3,780 Titanium Tees

On -, @GHIN n Juice said:

They may lose some market share but they are still the number one ball played on all major tours, college tournaments, major amateur tournaments, and are arguably the most recognized name in golf balls. I think their status is secure.

They have lost about 10% of their market share over the last two years as Callaway and Srixon have trimmed away their customer base. In trouble? Not dangerously.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Ping i25 5-PW, TFC 189 R
    Cobra MIM forged 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Eye2+ SW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Super Stroke Soft Wrap Midsize Red Grips
    Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35", LH (I'm right handed :p )
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16436WRX Points: 813Handicap: Low-Mid SDMembers Posts: 16,436 Titanium Tees

On -, @trackcoach13 said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

Who wins with what ball does not define the value of a ball like ProV1. The number of ProV1 users, on the other hand, still beat all other balls. Yes, there are many other balls, but this provides facts. https://is.gd/Dj4lVx "Titleist golf ball players have recorded 120 victories around the world, nearly seven times the nearest competitor with 16. Since its introduction in 2000, the Pro V1 golf ball franchise has been the golf ball of choice for more than 2,900 champions worldwide."

They are almost all being paid to play the ball. Don't fall for their marketing gimmick. They have like a gazillion players under contract to play their ball which is a large part of the reason they have to charge $48/dz.

Yes, all players get a $$ taste if momentarily seen on TV camera wearing a hat or clothing with Titleist logo on them. If ProV1 wasn't an outstanding ball they wouldn't be playing it for the pittance they get.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist T-MB 17* 2i, i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, i110cw "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, i125cw "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & ProV1x

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2515WRX Points: 866Members Posts: 2,515 Titanium Tees

On -, @rgk5 said:

They may lose some market share but they are still the number one ball played on all major tours, college tournaments, major amateur tournaments, and are arguably the most recognized name in golf balls. I think their status is secure.

They have lost about 10% of their market share over the last two years as Callaway and Srixon have trimmed away their customer base. In trouble? Not dangerously.

Callaway has less than 20% of market share and turkeys 44-45%. TM and Bridgestone are 5-6% behind Callaway and gaining. Callaway will lose 2nd place before anyone comes close to taking on #1

Posted:
  • starrman77starrman77 Starrman Northeast ohio 457WRX Points: 147Handicap: 8Members Posts: 457 Greens

On -, @FlyOver said:

On -, @rybo said:

In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

The TP5 is played by DJ, Rahm, Rory, Rose, and Fowler. How can they not have the majority of wins. Those are all top 10 players!

Add Tiger and Day....The TP5 ball has 7 of the top 15 players in the world. Odds are a TP5 ball will win the Masters.

Tiger plays a Bridgestone B XS.

And hits it in the trees just as often as does a Titliest.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue draw 10.5* 44.5"
    Ping i3OS Irons 3 thru UW
    Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
    Ping G #4 crossover
    Titleist Vokey 56* SW
    Ping Cadence Tomcat C putter 34-3/4"
    Snell MTBX
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB)  3780WRX Points: 382Handicap: 6Members Posts: 3,780 Titanium Tees

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @rgk5 said:

Callaway has less than 20% of market share and turkeys 44-45%. TM and Bridgestone are 5-6% behind Callaway and gaining. Callaway will lose 2nd place before anyone comes close to taking on #1

Turkeys? Lose market share to whom?

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Ping i25 5-PW, TFC 189 R
    Cobra MIM forged 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Eye2+ SW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Super Stroke Soft Wrap Midsize Red Grips
    Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35", LH (I'm right handed :p )
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJ 1106WRX Points: 287Handicap: 4Members Posts: 1,106 Platinum Tees

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

Who wins with what ball does not define the value of a ball like ProV1. The number of ProV1 users, on the other hand, still beat all other balls. Yes, there are many other balls, but this provides facts. https://is.gd/Dj4lVx "Titleist golf ball players have recorded 120 victories around the world, nearly seven times the nearest competitor with 16. Since its introduction in 2000, the Pro V1 golf ball franchise has been the golf ball of choice for more than 2,900 champions worldwide."

They are almost all being paid to play the ball. Don't fall for their marketing gimmick. They have like a gazillion players under contract to play their ball which is a large part of the reason they have to charge $48/dz.

Yes, all players get a $$ taste if momentarily seen on TV camera wearing a hat or clothing with Titleist logo on them. If ProV1 wasn't an outstanding ball they wouldn't be playing it for the pittance they get.

You just don't get it do you?

Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Advertisement
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJ 1106WRX Points: 287Handicap: 4Members Posts: 1,106 Platinum Tees

On -, @starrman77 said:

On -, @FlyOver said:

On -, @rybo said:

In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

The TP5 is played by DJ, Rahm, Rory, Rose, and Fowler. How can they not have the majority of wins. Those are all top 10 players!

Add Tiger and Day....The TP5 ball has 7 of the top 15 players in the world. Odds are a TP5 ball will win the Masters.

Tiger plays a Bridgestone B XS.

And hits it in the trees just as often as does a Titliest.

Huh?

Posted:

On -, @rgk5 said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @rgk5 said:

Turkeys? Lose market share to whom?

Titleist

Posted:
  • Hat TrickHat Trick  573WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 573 Golden Tee

My opinion only, but if a professional, college player, or top amateur felt the ball was not good enough to help them win they wouldn't play it. So Titleist obviously can say they are the most trusted ball in golf by their numbers.

Posted:
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman  83WRX Points: 59Handicap: 15Members Posts: 83 Fairways

I personally think the Pro V1 is overrated. If others come to the same realization as me, then it will def be in trouble. You just can't tell me that it is THAT much better than what everyone else out there is offering. My instructor is sponsored by TaylorMade, and still plays the Pro V1. I asked him why, and he said that he loves the TP5, and it performs almost exactly the same for him as the Pro V1, but he has been playing the Titleist for a number of years, so he's just comfortable sticking with it. I feel like this is also true for a lot of other Pro V1 users at this time. They're just used to it, it performs well, so why switch. A new, younger audience will grow up in a world where several manufacturers are producing really good balls, and I think you will see much more diversity on Tour in the years to come. As the OP stated, we're already seeing more diversity now.

Posted:
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3154WRX Points: 542Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,154 Titanium Tees

I haven’t seen a LM head to head test of the new Pro V1 balls against the new TP5 balls. The previous generation balls performed very similar. Maybe more-so the TP5 to Pro V1. If 5 layers is performing equal to 3 layer, is it not fair say Titleist is getting more from less so to speak? I wonder how much better a 4 layer Pro V1 would perform. I think most play the Pro V1 balls for their balanced performance.

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana ZF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Callaway Chrome Soft X 

Advertisement
  • North TexasNorth Texas  4541WRX Points: 906Members Posts: 4,541 Titanium Tees

On -, @The Real Pacman said:

I personally think the Pro V1 is overrated. If others come to the same realization as me, then it will def be in trouble. You just can't tell me that it is THAT much better than what everyone else out there is offering. **My instructor is sponsored by TaylorMade, and still plays the Pro V1. I asked him why, and he said that he loves the TP5, and it performs almost exactly the same for him as the Pro V1, but he has been playing the Titleist for a number of years, so he's just comfortable sticking with it. I feel like this is also true for a lot of other Pro V1 users at this time. They're just used to it, **it performs well, so why switch. A new, younger audience will grow up in a world where several manufacturers are producing really good balls, and I think you will see much more diversity on Tour in the years to come. As the OP stated, we're already seeing more diversity now.

You think the Pro V1 is overrated while admitting that it is better than every other ball and that it performs well? Okay.

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60  1016WRX Points: 481Members Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

When I started golf 30 years ago on a competitive level you played one of two balls basically...Titleist Tour balata or Maxfli HT. (The occasional Slazenger) Then came the Tour Edition..Strata...the ProV1...Callaway...Nike...Precept yada yada.
    Now there are so many great choices at great prices. Competitively it will take a long time for Titleist to be in “trouble” based on reputation and history. However, business wise..their market share should continue to fall slowly because the younger generation is growing up with more choices and less stuck on the Titleist ball. That being said...the ProV1 family is not overrated. They are great golf balls. I have always been one to play other brands...was on Top flite staff, Bridgestone, Nike, Srixon, Callaway. I’m just that way, I’ve always played the lesser exposed clubs as well. But if I had to play one round with it all on the line. ProV1X would be my choice.

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• RMGC_NVRMGC_NV  323WRX Points: 93Members Posts: 323 Greens

It's been touched on before, but there's something to be said for how vertically integrated the Titleist ball manufacturing chain is, and how keyed in they are into quality control. Consistency is their company mantra. That should mean even more for AMs, as we don't have the luxury of hand picked lots of product.

Posted:
  • cxxcxx  3240WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 3,240 Titanium Tees

Titleist's demise has been discussed since the balata days. Even then, there was a lot of innovation by others that never took hold. It was Titleist that lead everyone to the modern ball by explaining the advantages of lower spin higher flight "drop and stop" through Phil.

The number of players on tour using the ball is still the deciding factor in the pro shop. I don't think they are in trouble at all.

Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16436WRX Points: 813Handicap: Low-Mid SDMembers Posts: 16,436 Titanium Tees

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

You just don't get it do you?

It evident I don't reason or play the game like you. Marketing gimmick...lol. I understand a great deal about business P&L and the game of golf. You, I am not so sure. Back in the Balata ball days, which I learned with, only a few tour players were paid to play a golf ball and it wasn't much. Today, golf ball contracts are NOT huge compared to equipment contracts, but more so, Titleist, like other OEM's only experience red ink from tour operations. TM is now reaching a similar pricing plateau too Titleist. If you think they are too pricey, fine. There are plenty of cheaper balls out there. You won't see Porsche pricing cars so the guy that buys Toyota can buy Porsche and I am not going to buy a Toyota either.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist T-MB 17* 2i, i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, i110cw "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, i125cw "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & ProV1x

Advertisement
  • Michael VentanaMichael Ventana  15WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 15 Bunkers

I've found this to be true. After trying every premium ball around and balking at the Pro V1 price, I realized Im not saving all that much going a different direction and the quality is consistently good. Only Srixon seems to be close, if not equal and the Pro V feels better to me so....

I have a pretty good friend who turned down a swanky job with another high end Golf Ball company because their production quality was not consistently up to Titleist's standards.

On -, @DZ973 said:

Mannnn “inside sources” yadda yadda...

You wanna know why Titleist is going to be #1 forever, especially on tours?

It’s not because of ball flight characteristics, spin numbers or build..... ITS THEIR QUALITY CONTROL.

Sure the TP5 is an amazing ball. Punches pound for pound with the pro V1. BUT fill a glass with a ton of epsom salt; put a dot (with a sharpie) on 12 TP5s, and put a dot on 12 ProV1s, and then float them.

Now, does this matter to average joes like us? Absolutely not, but for the pros it’s a HUGE difference. And as the pros keep using titleists flagship ball (no matter what they call it) titleist will still use their same slogan in the commercials, and guys like us will STILL fork over the dough because we see it in the commercial, and hear the tag line.

(Off my soapbox)

Posted:

On -, @Michael Ventana said:

I have a pretty good friend who turned down a swanky job with another high end Golf Ball company because their production quality was not consistently up to Titleist's standards.

I was offered the CEO's job at Pfizer but turned it down for the same reason.

Posted:
  • FlashbackPTFlashbackPT  32WRX Points: 28ClubWRX Posts: 32 ClubWRX

On -, @DZ973 said:

It’s not because of ball flight characteristics, spin numbers or build..... ITS THEIR QUALITY CONTROL.

Sure the TP5 is an amazing ball. Punches pound for pound with the pro V1. BUT fill a glass with a ton of epsom salt; put a dot (with a sharpie) on 12 TP5s, and put a dot on 12 ProV1s, and then float them.

Now, does this matter to average joes like us? Absolutely not, but for the pros it’s a HUGE difference. And as the pros keep using titleists flagship ball (no matter what they call it) titleist will still use their same slogan in the commercials, and guys like us will STILL fork over the dough because we see it in the commercial, and hear the tag line.

(Off my soapbox)

I’m not following. What is the purpose of putting the dot on the balls? What does this experiment allegedly show?

Posted:
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto  954WRX Points: 125Handicap: ?Members Posts: 954 Golden Tee

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

$65.00 a dozen here in Canada. However, TP5's are $60.00. So there is that.

Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5 Miyazaki Kuala 5544
    Callaway Flash 13.5 65 S EvenFlo
    Cleveland Halo Hybrids 2,3,4, Miyazaki
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & Callaway Jaws MD5 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, TP5X
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto  954WRX Points: 125Handicap: ?Members Posts: 954 Golden Tee

On -, @FlashbackPT said:

On -, @DZ973 said:

(Off my soapbox)

I’m not following. What is the purpose of putting the dot on the balls? What does this experiment allegedly show?

I guess DJ has hires someone to float hundreds of TP5's so he can find a few to play. Maybe Justin Rose and Jason Day as well.

Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, TP5X

Advertisement

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

That’s like going to a different gas station to save $.03/gallon

Posted:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

Not quite, it is 12% difference. I guess you can do the math. B)

Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, TP5X

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

Imo $5 difference in golf balls is pretty much even. I’ll spend the extra $5 to get a proven consistent ball. Then again that $5 for pretty much any product is insignificant

Posted:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

Imo $5 difference in golf balls is pretty much even. I’ll spend the extra $5 to get a proven consistent ball. Then again that $5 for pretty much any product is insignificant

So are you saying that 3 of the top 5 players in the world are playing inferior balls and still winning at the highest level?
    Seems to me a ludicrous suggestion. Possibly a paid Titleist shill?

Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, TP5X
  • jshuffjshuff  113WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 113 Fairways

Titleist is the #1 ball on all of the major tours and very much a traditionalist ball. There’s something heart warming when I open a sleeve of them. That said, I haven’t personally bought a box of Titleist balls (I did buy a sleeve of AVX and thought they performed well) in several years, just received several boxes as gifts. When buying balls in recent years, I’ve tried Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone and Vice. The Vice weren’t very durable but the others were all similar.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6641WRX Points: 1,080Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,641 Titanium Tees

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

So are you saying that 3 of the top 5 players in the world are playing inferior balls and still winning at the highest level?

So for less than $.50 a ball (Cdn no less) you would play a ball that you thought was inferior ?

How much does a round of golf cost again ??? Sheesh.....................

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

On -, @nsxguy said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

So for less than $.50 a ball (Cdn no less) you would play a ball that you thought was inferior ?

How much does a round of golf cost again ??? Sheesh.....................

You misunderstand what I wrote. I am claiming the TM balls are not inferior. There are at least hundreds of posts on this site where people view all the top urethane balls as fairly equal, and differences just suit each person's swing and ball flight peculiarities.
    My point is, for someone to disparage the TM balls in favour of Titleist by claiming them to be inferior in some way is ludicrous. Again 3 of the top 5 players in the world right now use them, and that gives them at least some measure of credibility and respect. FWIW I play Titleist AVX as well as TP5. Windy - AVX, not windy TP5.
    The fact that TM's are marginally cheaper is relevant for some people. But they are not inferior by any measure according the acceptance from PGA players.

Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, TP5X
  • North TexasNorth Texas  4541WRX Points: 906Members Posts: 4,541 Titanium Tees

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @GoGoErky said:

On -, @Quasimoto said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

Make no mistake about it, those 3 top 5 players are getting paid big bucks to play the ball they play. And probably more than any other ball manufacturer would pay them.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6641WRX Points: 1,080Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,641 Titanium Tees

On -, @Quasimoto said:

**$65.00 a dozen here in Canada. However, TP5's are $60.00. So there is that.

On -, @Quasimoto said:

You misunderstand what I wrote. I am claiming the TM balls are not inferior. There are at least hundreds of posts on this site where people view all the top urethane balls as fairly equal, and differences just suit each person's swing and ball flight peculiarities.
    My point is, for someone to disparage the TM balls in favour of Titleist by claiming them to be inferior in some way is ludicrous. Again 3 of the top 5 players in the world right now use them, and that gives them at least some measure of credibility and respect. FWIW I play Titleist AVX as well as TP5. Windy - AVX, not windy TP5

No, actually you misunderstood what I wrote.

Your quote is up top. Your inference is clear that you (someone ?) would consider playing a ball other than what's best for your game to save the $5 per dozen.

I didn't say the TP5 was inferior, I was just commenting on someone buying something THEY might believe to be inferior to a ProV1 just to save $5 which is, of course, foolish (hence my asking how much you pay to play golf). Oh, IMO that is.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.