upgrade to Rogue 3 wood from GBB 3 wood??

mpetruzzmpetruzz Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
I have a GBB 3 wood that i really hit well. However I have an addiction like most of us and want my equipment to match. I just bought a Rogue driver and am now thinking about upgrading my 3 wood as well.

I haven't seen any online head to head comparisons of these two clubs so I wanted to see what the thoughts were on whether or not it'd be worth it too upgrade.

Comments

• ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    I've owned both (not at the same time but in the past 12 months). I think that the SZ is longer, and because of jail break it's possibly at least similar if not more forgiving. Just picked up a std Rogue 5w to match, and at 19* to give me better gapping.
    Cobra F9 8* + Fujikura Speeder XLR8 63 Tour x.
    Mizuno CLK 14* + Fujikura Pro 83h x.
    Mizuno CLK 18* + Fujikura Pro 83h x.
    Titleist VG3 Forged '18 4i - PW + Modus 105.
    Titleist Vokey Forged 50 + Modus 105.
    Callaway PM19 54/58 + KBS Hi-Rev 115 2.0.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,746 ✭✭
    Rogue was the longest 3 wood I hit last yr. Prefer the Epic Flash better due to the adjustability. Both are a beast! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    8802 type putter
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,623 ✭✭
    Never ever replace a fairway wood you hit well. Ever.
  • scoop79scoop79 Members Posts: 183

Never ever replace a fairway wood you hit well. Ever.

I agree. I’ve been regretting replacing a Titleist 906F2 that I replaced years ago!

However, I have been delighted with my Rogue 4 wood so far. Best I’ve hit in a long, long time, and I’ve tried plenty over the years!
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Definitely worth the upgrade, it will be as forgiving as your GBB and longer.
  • swing33swing33 Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    mpetruzz wrote:

I have a GBB 3 wood that i really hit well. However I have an addiction like most of us and want my equipment to match. I just bought a Rogue driver and am now thinking about upgrading my 3 wood as well.

I haven't seen any online head to head comparisons of these two clubs so I wanted to see what the thoughts were on whether or not it'd be worth it too upgrade.
    I can't say enough good things about the Rogue fairway woods. Off the tee they are super long and feel great, but where they have been a difference maker for me is off the ground. They are so easy to get up in the air without spinning out and losing distance. I always struggled with this in the past - been a game changer on par 5's for me. Whether it be the 4 wood or the heavenwood. I get about 240 off the ground with my 4 wood and about 220 with the Heavenwood - so they are getting out there pretty good for me.
  • Hester65Hester65 Members Posts: 606 ✭✭
    Famous last words; I have this club that I hit really well but...
    There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,231 ✭✭
    If $dinero is no worry, before you commit to the Rogue, I’d demo the flash...that thing is a beast!
  • swing33swing33 Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    averysdad wrote:

If $dinero is no worry, before you commit to the Rogue, I’d demo the flash...that thing is a beast!
    I I am probably going to put a strong 3 in the bag for shorter courses or when I need to work the ball off th tee more that I would like with these low spin drivers. Will come down to a Rogue or epic flash 13.5 - flash might get the nod due to adjustable hosel...
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    I dunno maybe it's me. Hit rogue sz and epic flash sz 3 woods on gc2. Distnace was said. Did prefer epic flash sz. Both were 139.5 ball speed. Same as my 815 Alpha....

I cant find any improvements.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • nilopolnilopol Members Posts: 676
    LaymanM wrote:
    I dunno maybe it's me. Hit rogue sz and epic flash sz 3 woods on gc2. Distnace was said. Did prefer epic flash sz. Both were 139.5 ball speed. Same as my 815 Alpha....

So still game the Alpha?
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    nilopol wrote:

LaymanM wrote:

So still game the Alpha?

That's what I am thinking. Epic Flash SZ does look and sound/feel better. Not sure i wanna drop $400 on one, but its leading pack of new ones I've hit.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,328 ✭✭
    If you buy one, don’t trade in the GBB till you are committed.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Members Posts: 327 ✭✭
    Gaming Rogue 4 wood from last year. Amazing club, one of my favs in the bag. Recently spent about an hour testing Epic Flash 4w and Titleist TS2. Saw distance gains of maybe a yard on both. Not worth spending $400 for a new club that I already hit so well and love. Agree above, test to your liking. If you have a fairway wood you really like, don't give up on it. Maybe get dialed in on a different shaft which can make a world of difference. Other than my TS2 driver coming off of 917, I'm not seeing significant gains.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,717 ✭✭
    Golf64 wrote:

Rogue was the longest 3 wood I hit last yr. Prefer the Epic Flash better due to the adjustability. Both are a beast! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

same for me with the Rogue.

Tried to "upgrade" to the Epic Flash

really did not like the feel, and have already sold it off

newer isn't better all the time, which I continue to learn lol
    Yadi for President
  • ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    Tried the Epic Flash 15* against my Rogue SZ 15* at the range today. No contest really, I hit my Rogue much better. Looks better too image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Cobra F9 8* + Fujikura Speeder XLR8 63 Tour x.
    Mizuno CLK 14* + Fujikura Pro 83h x.
    Mizuno CLK 18* + Fujikura Pro 83h x.
    Titleist VG3 Forged '18 4i - PW + Modus 105.
    Titleist Vokey Forged 50 + Modus 105.
    Callaway PM19 54/58 + KBS Hi-Rev 115 2.0.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 Tuscaloosa, ALMembers Posts: 853 ✭✭
    The original Epic fairways were/are awesome to me! Honestly most all the Callaway fairway products have been good since the X-Hot back in 2013. Not a lot of change year-to-year. But my favorites have been the original X-Hot, the 816 Alpha and the original Epic (similar to GBB). I like adjustable fairways so I never tried the Rogue.
    Callaway
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree - Hzrdus Yellow HC
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Fubuki ax 
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 (20) & 4 (23) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & '19 PM Grind 58
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta
  • keithrichardskeithrichards Members Posts: 337 ✭✭
    The Rogue SZ 3 wood has a feel that I don’t see how it could be improved upon. Put the proper engine in it(stock Even Flow does just fine for me) and that thing kicks like a mule on a short par 4. Seriously nice club.
    -9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)
    -15* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 75s)
    -17.5* TaylorMade R7 TP (Diamana Blue 83s)
    -4-PW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)
    -Ben Hogan TK15 49*(KBS Wedge)
    -PING Anser 54* (DG Spinner)
    -PING Gorge Tour 60* (Ping CFS)
    -PING Pickemup B