I’m giving up Blades... sort of...

tgoodspe1991

So I have decided, even though I’m a decent player and still easily have “the swing speed” for ‘em, I’m giving up Blades.

My only real miss with irons and wedges are shots off the toe, and since a blade has usually more mass in the heel, I get the worst drop offs in that situation. I think the time has come that there’s just too much tech and forgiveness in modern players cavity clubs to overlook it anymore. I have had great rounds and bad rounds with all types of clubs, but I think on average true musclebacks contribute more on the negative side and players cavity clubs on the positive side.

So for 2019 I’m setting myself some restrictions to my club-ho bags to see if I improve:

(1) No muscle back irons whatsoever unless it’s in the PW or 9i, I love the look of blades so this way I could have them still but more on shorter shots with less penal misses. But even then try to not play them entirely.

(2) All other irons must be players cavity variety, ie: AP2, Apex Pro, Cobra KING, Mizuno SC, Taylormade P750/760, etc.

(3) Longest iron is a 4i, no more 3i, and maybe try to incorporate an even more forgiving 4i like a Z585 when using Z785 irons or something.

I love love love the look of true MB’s, but the reality is I think CB’s and up help my game on average more often given my specific miss patterns. With all the tungsten and weight distribution and tech, CB irons just have more versatility in their potential designs.

I thought I’d open the discussion for others who are thinking the same, and I’ll try to report back as time progresses. I really want to try to stick to these general rules for all of 2019 and get a good test going to see if I feel my game has improved on average. Wish me luck!

Part of the same reasons I moved off a full true blade set. I didn’t get to play as much as i used to so my consistency went away with MBs. Decided to move to the blended set of Mizuno MP 18s and it’s really helped my game with respect to forgiveness/confidence.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

I'd say go with whatever gives you confidence and frees you up. You definitely don't want to use anything you don't feel you can hit.

I've been able to slide into a small CB without hesitation. My MP-64s were probably the sweetest pseudo-blade I tried. My VR Split Cavities were also buttery soft and just as perimeter-weighted as say, an AP2 or some newer Callaway Apex.

Nothing wrong with CBs at all. Very little difference IMO. Just gotta find what you like in terms of size, offset, sole width, etc.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I went combo set and it has helped my transition from full MB sets. It's a good in between. Although I want to carry a 4 iron, there is nothing wrong with a hybrid

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Played Mizuno blades my whole life, went to the Titleist 718CB's. Almost looks like a blade from address, but much more playable in the longer irons. Just as workable. Not missing my Mizzy's at all...

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

I wish I could get myself around to that way of thinking. I plan on getting fit for the new Srixon irons in a few weeks and my current thoughts pre-fitting are a set of Z-Forged blades from 5-P and a Z-785 3i and 4i (bending the 4i 1° weak to blend the set a little better). I'd actually probably do just fine, if not objectively slightly better with the added forgiveness of just doing the 785s in 3-P and maybe just loft matching them to the Z-Forged specs (basically 1° weak in 4-8) but I just love the way a blade looks and feels and that little less offset. I rationalize it to myself that I don't play competitively really (though I want to start getting into some local am tournaments this year) and I should just play what I like best within reason and certainly as a scratch golfer the difference is probably very small between a blade and a players CB in the mid and short irons anyway. But I'm certain there are shots here and there where I would get more out of that slight cavity, toe shots like you say which do creep up on me as well from time to time. Fighting ego is hard in this game sometimes and I'm afraid for me it's usually a losing battle pretty often.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

Nothing wrong with CBs at all. Very little difference IMO. Just gotta find what you like in terms of size, offset, sole width, etc.

I do agree. Many players cavity back irons still look really great at address.

I mean, a lot of Pros make pleeenntyyy of money using CB irons or bigger. I figure why am I making it harder on myself?

Finding the right CB is going to be difficult. So much variation out there.

tgood, you're making it harder on yourself because golf is an endless bout of self flagellation. Seriously, I think you'll be happy with the change.

I like to think so too. The MB allure is hard to resist, but I just know it's time to start making some smart decisions with my bag around what's actually going to help me. So many players who are far better than me have made the switch or have combo sets, so why not me?

I have continued to seek forgiveness through years of Mizunos. 32, 57, 53, jpx 850, now 900 hot metals. You can get used to looking at any size iron with any size top line. And Hot metals are surprisingly easy to work right or left. Time is to pre ious to overthink . I’ll take high long and straight over tight looking blades

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

tgood, you're making it harder on yourself because golf is an endless bout of self flagellation. Seriously, I think you'll be happy with the change.

I like to think so too. The MB allure is hard to resist, but I just know it's time to start making some smart decisions with my bag around what's actually going to help me. So many players who are far better than me have made the switch or have combo sets, so why not me?

Have you given a look to the TMB, i500, and TM790 offerings? If you can give up a little feel vs the blades you might find them a great replacement. Forgiving, smallish size and muscle back look had me at hello.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

Combo sets, I've liked those since my Hogan FTX from back in the day.

I'm looking, haven't bought yet, at Apex Combo '19 set, then again might just stay with my Apex Pros from 2014, they're very nice irons, but hitting the 5 year old mark.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Have you given a look to the TMB, i500, and TM790 offerings? If you can give up a little feel vs the blades you might find them a great replacement. Forgiving, smallish size and muscle back look had me at hello.

I haven't tried any of them before besides a T-MB in a 2i and 3i. Very easy to hit, but I think I'd worry about having too little spin in the shorter irons. My buddy has the P790 which he seems to enjoy a lot and has hit some great shots with. I'd love a chunky top line but really little offset. The large offset is a struggle for me to look down at on some otherwise great looking irons.

Srixon

So far that's the main contender right now. I was thinking Z785 in 5-PW and either Z585 in the 4i or a 22* hybrid.

Also considering I think...

Apex 19 Pro

Ping i210

JPX 919 Forged (I think the 919 Tour are probably still too "bladey")

The Srixon's are hard to resist though with their softer metal and awesome upgrade shafts at no charge -- like Tour Issue DG. Everyone upcharges for those except Srixon!

Word to the wise. Measure the swingweight and lie angles of your favorite mb. And only test an iron when you’ve added weight to the head to match that swingweight and adjusted for lie. Same or very very similar shaft helps too. Going whole hog and hitting a lighter head plus light shaft etc is a recipe to lose your swing. My opinion. For reference. My i500 pw measured E1 last week when I recordEd all specs.( 5/8 over with 130g shaft). Loads of lead tape. Most modern heads are a good bit lighter than an MB.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Checkout a full set of Cobra CB’s. The size is small and pleasing with the added benefit of tungsten plugs in the sole and toe.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I love the lolok and feel of blades but when I see a large portion of tour pros using cavity backs, I do have to wonder why we do it to ourselves?

Anyway, can’t wait for the Ping blueprints to come out. ??.

Tell me about it...

CH3 who is currently #2 on Tour in GIR with a bunch of rounds under his belt already does a combo set even further of:

T-MB 4

AP2 5-6-7

CB 8-9-PW

Mega CB/forgiveness combo set and here I am over here buying and selling butter knife 3-PW sets lol. Makes me wonder if CH3 who’s a way better player than me has a bag like this then maybe I should too lol

Shelved my MP-32 for Z785 5-PW and 2/4 u65 with steel shafts. No regrets. Dont miss blades at all.

How’s the U85 in the 4i? Does it have loads of offset? I was thinking of doing Z785 5-PW with a Z585 4i. Debating the U85 but the photos make it look crazy offset.

I love the lolok and feel of blades but when I see a large portion of tour pros using cavity backs, I do have to wonder why we do it to ourselves?

Anyway, can’t wait for the Ping blueprints to come out. ??.

Tell me about it...

CH3 who is currently #2 on Tour in GIR with a bunch of rounds under his belt already does a combo set even further of:

T-MB 4

AP2 5-6-7

CB 8-9-PW

Mega CB/forgiveness combo set and here I am over here buying and selling butter knife 3-PW sets lol. Makes me wonder if CH3 who’s a way better player than me has a bag like this then maybe I should too lol

Shelved my MP-32 for Z785 5-PW and 2/4 u65 with steel shafts. No regrets. Dont miss blades at all.

How’s the U85 in the 4i? Does it have loads of offset? I was thinking of doing Z785 5-PW with a Z585 4i. Debating the U85 but the photos make it look crazy offset.

I dont think it does. Much less than a game improvement 4 iron would. I reshafted it to match irons and also length. It's a rocket. Love the u65. I did not like it with graphite though.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Played mine today ..still shot 78 (no birds today) but man cpl mishits were bad...would my score change ....maybe a lil... but sure effects confidence and made me think alot more on next shot which didnt work out to my benefit, lol......made it worse....

Just cuz they harder to hit and you have to concentrate more doesnt mean its gonna translate into better contact.....it can actually lead to worse contact and stiffer muscles thru swing in fear of not making a good one...

Had 2 or 3 perfect shots (awesome feel that faded quick on next mishit, lol) but in 18 holes simply not enough.....CB's back in next round...

Confidence frees up the swing, I dont really get any benefit other than "playing with MB" as my CB will do everything the same with less punishment.....I know this but havnt played the MB in awhile so thought I would take em out...

Wow ... A plus handicapper being honest about what's best for his game ....

All those double digits arguing about the butteriest blades with negative offset on the other threads could probably pick up a thing or two from this.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Anyway, can't wait for the Ping blueprints to come out. .

Tell me about it...

T-MB 4

AP2 5-6-7

CB 8-9-PW

Mega CB/forgiveness combo set and here I am over here buying and selling butter knife 3-PW sets lol. Makes me wonder if CH3 who's a way better player than me has a bag like this then maybe I should too lol

How's the U85 in the 4i? Does it have loads of offset? I was thinking of doing Z785 5-PW with a Z585 4i. Debating the U85 but the photos make it look crazy offset.

I'm much worse at the game than you, but moved off an AP2 like club to a GI/SGI a while back based on the same thought process. Spieth and Phil were hitting AP2 and X-Forged, maybe I should try something with a bit more help.

Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.

• Like 1