Columbus / Central Ohio ranges dropping like flies

2»

Comments

• mrikkingmrikking Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Great topic! I’m seriously thinking about getting a membership specifically to address the lack of driving ranges in central Ohio. The addition of top golf seems like it would have been great, however it just totally sucks. Top golf is great for having a couple drinks and casually hitting balls with friends and colleagues, but to try to really grow your game, is not the proper place to do so. We do have a few decent outdoor driving ranges at the public courses even a public course that has about 4-5 practice holes that you can use. I find these to be great and even sufficient but with the cost it’s almost easier to just grab a membership.
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Apparently SportsOhio just outside Dublin has a range. Not too far from where Ables was, actually. Along with Golf Club of Dublin, several Columbus munis and several courses in Delaware that have ranges, it looks like there are still plenty of driving ranges in central Ohio.
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭
    Oakhaven used to be a good place to practice
  • unclerico63unclerico63 Members Posts: 161 ✭✭

Have none of you been to The Range in Dublin? $25/hr to hit balls inside their facility with 5 Foresight GC Quads or 4 Trackman or outside on Trackman at Kinsale as a non-member. Place is pretty awesome. www.golfattherange.com

• ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 285 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 12:04am #36

@MaxBuck said:
    Apparently SportsOhio just outside Dublin has a range. Not too far from where Ables was, actually. Along with Golf Club of Dublin, several Columbus munis and several courses in Delaware that have ranges, it looks like there are still plenty of driving ranges in central Ohio.

I visited SportsOhio a few weeks ago. Godawful hexagonal mats on concrete and the putting green is a joke.

Post edited by ratdg1 on
    Ping G 9*
    Titleist 910F 3w
    Titleist 910H 18
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54,58
    Copper Bettinardi BB0 with carbon fiber insert
    Srixon Z-Star
    Ping Hoofer

• TaddNOhioTaddNOhio Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

Golf Depot is opening back up .. actually may be open by now.

• Matadorb32Matadorb32 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

@TaddNOhio said:

Really? That's great news! It's a nice facility. Do you know if it's the same owners?

• JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 846 ✭✭

@TaddNOhio said:

Interesting. I haven't found any news about that, but it would be great if someone bought it and brought it back (and maybe put in a usable practice putting green). I had read a while ago that the land was going to be developed for warehouses.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • TaddNOhioTaddNOhio Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

@JDFish said:

@TaddNOhio said:

Interesting. I haven't found any news about that, but it would be great if someone bought it and brought it back (and maybe put in a usable practice putting green). I had read a while ago that the land was going to be developed for warehouses.

I live in Lancaster, was up in Columbus back in late April and it was closed but i noticed a guy giving a lesson on the range. I talked to him and he said they would be opening back up in about 3-weeks. I have not been back up there yet to see. He was very nice and said "hey if you and your wife want to you can go walk the 9-hole course for free"

• ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 285 ✭✭

@JDFish said:

@TaddNOhio said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into environmental issues and had to shelve it. The Depot was built on top of a landfill. Fine for golf. Not so good for building houses or commercial buildings on.

Ping G 9*
    Titleist 910F 3w
    Titleist 910H 18
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54,58
    Copper Bettinardi BB0 with carbon fiber insert
    Srixon Z-Star
    Ping Hoofer