Columbus / Central Ohio ranges dropping like flies

2»

Comments

• mrikkingmrikking  206WRX Points: 71Members Posts: 206 Fairways
    Great topic! I’m seriously thinking about getting a membership specifically to address the lack of driving ranges in central Ohio. The addition of top golf seems like it would have been great, however it just totally sucks. Top golf is great for having a couple drinks and casually hitting balls with friends and colleagues, but to try to really grow your game, is not the proper place to do so. We do have a few decent outdoor driving ranges at the public courses even a public course that has about 4-5 practice holes that you can use. I find these to be great and even sufficient but with the cost it’s almost easier to just grab a membership.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck  470WRX Points: 221Members Posts: 470 Greens
    Apparently SportsOhio just outside Dublin has a range. Not too far from where Ables was, actually. Along with Golf Club of Dublin, several Columbus munis and several courses in Delaware that have ranges, it looks like there are still plenty of driving ranges in central Ohio.
    Posted:
  • dbleagdbleag  2915WRX Points: 172Members Posts: 2,915 Titanium Tees
    Oakhaven used to be a good place to practice
    Posted:
  • unclerico63unclerico63  166WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 166 Fairways

Have none of you been to The Range in Dublin? $25/hr to hit balls inside their facility with 5 Foresight GC Quads or 4 Trackman or outside on Trackman at Kinsale as a non-member. Place is pretty awesome. www.golfattherange.com

Posted:
  • ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OH 325WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 325 Greens

On -, @MaxBuck said:

Apparently SportsOhio just outside Dublin has a range. Not too far from where Ables was, actually. Along with Golf Club of Dublin, several Columbus munis and several courses in Delaware that have ranges, it looks like there are still plenty of driving ranges in central Ohio.

I visited SportsOhio a few weeks ago. Godawful hexagonal mats on concrete and the putting green is a joke.

Posted:
    Post edited by ratdg1 on
    Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

• TaddNOhioTaddNOhio  145WRX Points: 115Members Posts: 145 Fairways

Golf Depot is opening back up .. actually may be open by now.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Matadorb32Matadorb32  89WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 89 Fairways

On -, @TaddNOhio said:

Really? That's great news! It's a nice facility. Do you know if it's the same owners?

Posted:
    • Hammer X 8.5* -  TM TI Bubble 2 Shaft 70TX 47.25"
    • GX7 Fairway X Metal 18* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
    • GX7 Fairway X Metal 21* - GD AD IZ 95X 42.25"
    • Tommy Armour ATOMIC Hybrid 13* (custom order from OEM) - Aldila Proto 80X
    • Warrior Golf Tomahawk Edge 3-9 - KBS C-Taper XS (hs x2)
    • Square Strike 45* PW/Chipper - KBS C-Taper XS
    • Spin Doctor 52* GW - KBS C-Taper XS
    • Spin Doctor 56* SW - DG TI Onyx S400
    • Spin Doctor 60* LW - DG TI Onyx S400
    • Hammer Zero-Axis Putter
    • MG Senior Ball - Optic Yellow
    • Bench press 275x5

• JDFishJDFish Pickerington, Ohio 931WRX Points: 178Handicap: 6.6Members Posts: 931 Golden Tee

On -, @TaddNOhio said:

Interesting. I haven't found any news about that, but it would be great if someone bought it and brought it back (and maybe put in a usable practice putting green). I had read a while ago that the land was going to be developed for warehouses.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood
    Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid KBS 80 S
    Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
    Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #1 33"
  • TaddNOhioTaddNOhio  145WRX Points: 115Members Posts: 145 Fairways

On -, @JDFish said:

On -, @TaddNOhio said:

Interesting. I haven't found any news about that, but it would be great if someone bought it and brought it back (and maybe put in a usable practice putting green). I had read a while ago that the land was going to be developed for warehouses.

I live in Lancaster, was up in Columbus back in late April and it was closed but i noticed a guy giving a lesson on the range. I talked to him and he said they would be opening back up in about 3-weeks. I have not been back up there yet to see. He was very nice and said "hey if you and your wife want to you can go walk the 9-hole course for free"

Posted:
  • ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OH 325WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 325 Greens

On -, @JDFish said:

On -, @TaddNOhio said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they ran into environmental issues and had to shelve it. The Depot was built on top of a landfill. Fine for golf. Not so good for building houses or commercial buildings on.

Posted:
    Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

• Matadorb32Matadorb32  89WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 89 Fairways

Just an update, The Golf Depot has opened back up. New owners are changing the name to "City View Golf Center." I went a few weeks back and talked to them, they are going to be changing the 9-hole par 3 course into a 5 hole course (so that you can hit driver on a few holes). They REALLY need to get some new balls, they are beat to $H1T.

Posted:
    • Hammer X 8.5* -  TM TI Bubble 2 Shaft 70TX 47.25"
    • GX7 Fairway X Metal 18* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
    • GX7 Fairway X Metal 21* - GD AD IZ 95X 42.25"
    • Tommy Armour ATOMIC Hybrid 13* (custom order from OEM) - Aldila Proto 80X
    • Warrior Golf Tomahawk Edge 3-9 - KBS C-Taper XS (hs x2)
    • Square Strike 45* PW/Chipper - KBS C-Taper XS
    • Spin Doctor 52* GW - KBS C-Taper XS
    • Spin Doctor 56* SW - DG TI Onyx S400
    • Spin Doctor 60* LW - DG TI Onyx S400
    • Hammer Zero-Axis Putter
    • MG Senior Ball - Optic Yellow
    • Bench press 275x5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.