Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

The hunt for the perfect 5 wood

Comments

• nicholascarlinnicholascarlin Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    JAMH03 wrote:

Yeah I USED to get 235+ out of my 4wood not so much any more.

I would strongly encourage you to find a range of 18-22º fairway woods and give those a try. I am personally of the belief that slightly shorter shafts .5"-1.5" are easier to hit but the main thing is just look at a 5-7 wood. If you hate 7 woods put some lead tape on the bottom and or change the head cover.

You're looking for a club to do a job. If it makes it easier for your ego many many tour pros opt to use a 5 wood at AN and I think TW is carrying a 2nd fairway wood now. Nobody who matters will care.

There are plenty that will fit the bill. I might add that people seem to like slightly heavier shafts in their fairway woods than their driver so again that would be a good place to start.

Since you like them already I'd look at Callaway Mizzy and Titleist. I'd vote for Tour edge

but thats just me.

I would very strongly encourage you to check the specs more so than the club names for example the tolerances and strong lofts could get you something that would be ill suited.

Budget wise you could do anything you want the world is your oyster, you can satisfy this gap perfectly from $40 and up. Depending on what you want.

I'd say this is a perfect place to go read one of those all time 3 wood or fairway wood threads and pick some that sound cool to you and hunt those.

Example Stensons's Diablo is available from Callaway pre owned . com for $70

Mind you all of the "work" comes in testing, tweaking shaft fit etc all. But it's not unmanageable you'll know when you like it. So you can figure it out, everything else in your bag is really nice. Just gotta fill this one gap.

Cheers!

+1

Do yourself a favor and get a Heavenwood that you can ratchet down to your desired 5-wood loft (or as close as it will go). Will become the most reliable club in your bag after about 2 rounds. Point and shoot.
    Taylormade M3 440 10* w/ HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Taylormade M4 15* w/ HC HZRDUS Red 6.0
    Callaway Epic Heavenwood 19* w/ HZRDUS TI1100 6.0
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4 Iron 23* w/ DGTI S400
    Taylormade RSI UDI 5 Iron 26* w/ DGTI S400
    Cleveland 588 MB 6-P w/ DGTI S400
    Cleveland RTX2 54* FG and 58* MG w/ DGTI S400
    Taylormade Tour Spider Red w/ BGT Stability Shaft
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • jt2gtjt2gt Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VNutz wrote:

Winter here in the Midwest so golf is non existent. I am very happy with my WITB but I am thinking of getting a 5 wood. The Rogue SubZero 3 wood is an absolute cannon off the tee but my confidence is nil off the deck. I am looking for something fairly compact that elevates well off the deck AND, more importantly, will go through the rough easily. My SS with driver is around 100. I plan to try out the SubZero 5 wood but am also pondering something that loft can be adjusted on. Oh, and I am not looking at the latest lines, as I have SubZero interest in dropping $300 for a 5 wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Well, I'm in similar Midwest winter doldrums myself, so I feel your pain. Regarding the Rogue SZ 5w, I used that all last year as my first fairway wood. Great club, great distance, easier to elevate for me than the 3w, obviously, which tends to be an issue for me as I hit a lower ball. In the end I moved it out as I felt less comfortable off the tee with it and the slightly lower profile face, I like a taller face for fairways if possible for the tee. I've looked at a bunch of other options this winter for that spot, a mix of 3, 4 and 5 woods, old and new. Thus far I like the Adams XTD TI 5w, Honma 737FWC 5w and the Tour Edge EX10 beta 4w. I like the look and feel of the Honma and Tour Edge best, but the adjustable factor of the Adams is nice. Tour Edge sole is great for getting through the rough btw.

Baffler is a cool club if it works for you. For me it's always been an odd fit that doesn't work. It plays to a shorter length than a normal wood, and when lofted up to 5w loft it went left a lot on me. If it suits you though it could be a great weapon as it does everything else very well.

Any additional thoughts on the Rogue SZ 5W vs. EX10 Beta 4? How is the Beta off the tee compared to the Rogue? Distance comparable? Ive got a Beta 13 and 15 for testing and deciding if I need the 16.5 or 18. They get great reviews for sound, feel, distance. Thanks for any info.
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jt2gt wrote:

VNutz wrote:

Winter here in the Midwest so golf is non existent. I am very happy with my WITB but I am thinking of getting a 5 wood. The Rogue SubZero 3 wood is an absolute cannon off the tee but my confidence is nil off the deck. I am looking for something fairly compact that elevates well off the deck AND, more importantly, will go through the rough easily. My SS with driver is around 100. I plan to try out the SubZero 5 wood but am also pondering something that loft can be adjusted on. Oh, and I am not looking at the latest lines, as I have SubZero interest in dropping $300 for a 5 wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Well, I'm in similar Midwest winter doldrums myself, so I feel your pain. Regarding the Rogue SZ 5w, I used that all last year as my first fairway wood. Great club, great distance, easier to elevate for me than the 3w, obviously, which tends to be an issue for me as I hit a lower ball. In the end I moved it out as I felt less comfortable off the tee with it and the slightly lower profile face, I like a taller face for fairways if possible for the tee. I've looked at a bunch of other options this winter for that spot, a mix of 3, 4 and 5 woods, old and new. Thus far I like the Adams XTD TI 5w, Honma 737FWC 5w and the Tour Edge EX10 beta 4w. I like the look and feel of the Honma and Tour Edge best, but the adjustable factor of the Adams is nice. Tour Edge sole is great for getting through the rough btw.

Baffler is a cool club if it works for you. For me it's always been an odd fit that doesn't work. It plays to a shorter length than a normal wood, and when lofted up to 5w loft it went left a lot on me. If it suits you though it could be a great weapon as it does everything else very well.

Any additional thoughts on the Rogue SZ 5W vs. EX10 Beta 4? How is the Beta off the tee compared to the Rogue? Distance comparable? Ive got a Beta 13 and 15 for testing and deciding if I need the 16.5 or 18. They get great reviews for sound, feel, distance. Thanks for any info.

I didn't own them at the same time so I can't make a comparison, sorry. And I've yet to get the Beta on the course so no in depth info there yet either, but from what little I've seen in the dome it's solid. The beta just has that little bit taller of a face and different shape than the Rogue SZ that feels much more comfortable for me. Whether that's a real difference or just in my head is debatable though.
  • xarismataxarismata Members Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    If you don't mind old one Tour Edge CB5. It is forgiving and very long.
  • geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    xarismata - how is that e8 7 wood treating you?
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff/Driver stand-in TEE EX9 Long 13* - Accra Tour Z ST 75 M4 untipped at 42.5" 
    OR TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 /5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 2" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 19* H - Fujikura Fit-on Red Stiff - 85 g at 39.25"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*, so 9* bounce)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S  
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys from TXG told me that TS3 is an excellent all rounder. Comes in 4w and 5w lofts. I also hit the M4HL last year and it felt great but I did find the face angle to be a touch closed, so if you struggle with any over cuts, that could be nice.

I've always heard TEE makes great stuff but almost impossible to demo first.

It really comes down to how you will use this club. For me... even from the tips, most local muni's near me don't really ever present the chance to even need a 3w into the green. I'm either too close to need it, or they make the hole designed such you just really can't do it because of trees, dogleg, etc. So for ME personally, my "go for it in 2" club is generally a 220-235 yard club (3w can carry around 250 if struck well) so that either 3 hybrid or a 5 wood. A 4w would still likely be a little too much and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to flight in a big sweeping cut to take distance off. I'm not Tiger on the 18th of Pebble.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• dnalepocadnalepoca Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    jah7838 wrote:

Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.

the head onthis 5w is amazing. Perfect size, color and texture. and you can get it cheap these days. The search is over.

I just got one myself to use as a 4 wood off the tee and the deck. Turned down to 16.5*, it's still really easy to hit off the deck. I haven't taken it on the course yet, but I'll be giving it a go this weekend. One selling point is the fact that if I don't like it as a 4 wood, I can turn it up to 18.5*, and use it as a 5 wood. I have it paired with a Nunchuk at 42", and really like how the club feels. No issues feeling the head at all.

Yep even at 16.5 it’s so easy. Weight back and it launches with no problem, weight forward and it’s a nice bullet. I’ve upped mine to 17.5 recently since I find it easier to draw that way
    Cobra King F7
    Cobra King baffler F6 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 20.5*
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 23*
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T-11 52*
    Wilson Staff PMP Tour 56*
    PING Glide 2.0 TS 60*
    Taylormade TP Juno Copper
    Bridgestone Tour B XS, Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Luke'sdadLuke'sdad Lukes's dad Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Maybe not the most popular, but since last year I have been gaming a Cobra Fly Z plus. Smaller head, great thru the turf, adjustable, and a rocket. Oh yea, got it for about $40 nearly new at my local Play It Again Sports. What's not to like for a club I nay hit 3-5 times per rounf max.
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 7:22pm #40
    I loved the XR16 17* off the tee, absolutely bombed it and had some of my most memorable shots with that club last year. Problem was I struggled off the deck with it.

So I'm going with the Cobra F8 5-6 wood this season, turned down to 17* as well. I haven't played a round with it due to weather, but have been impressed off the mats at the range.

Both of these clubs can be had for cheap now and they keep pace with everything else out there today.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]
  • jt2gtjt2gt Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VNutz wrote:

I didn't own them at the same time so I can't make a comparison, sorry. And I've yet to get the Beta on the course so no in depth info there yet either, but from what little I've seen in the dome it's solid. The beta just has that little bit taller of a face and different shape than the Rogue SZ that feels much more comfortable for me. Whether that's a real difference or just in my head is debatable though.

Tell you what...I def. agree on shape, face, and looks at address of the EX10 Beta Really looks good to me in the 13 and 15 fairways that I have. If it performs well, I will be grabbing a 16.5 or 18.
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a fourteen 816 in a Fuji tour spec 9.2.

Best 5 wood I’ve ever hit but I live in windy Chicago... driving irons are the way to go.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dnalepoca wrote:

jah7838 wrote:

Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.

the head onthis 5w is amazing. Perfect size, color and texture. and you can get it cheap these days. The search is over.

I just got one myself to use as a 4 wood off the tee and the deck. Turned down to 16.5*, it's still really easy to hit off the deck. I haven't taken it on the course yet, but I'll be giving it a go this weekend. One selling point is the fact that if I don't like it as a 4 wood, I can turn it up to 18.5*, and use it as a 5 wood. I have it paired with a Nunchuk at 42", and really like how the club feels. No issues feeling the head at all.

Yep even at 16.5 it’s so easy. Weight back and it launches with no problem, weight forward and it’s a nice bullet. I’ve upped mine to 17.5 recently since I find it easier to draw that way

I got to hit it off the mats at Golf Galaxy, but I still have yet to hit it off of some grass. I'll get to do that Saturday morning and see how I hit it on some turf. With how easy it was off of a mat, I'm sure the grass will be that much easier for me because I tend to take a small divot with all my clubs off the deck.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • i*windowsi*windows Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Adams Tight lies 2 Ti 5 wood, which is great off the deck and tee. I'm on the hunt for a 7 wood
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitchell wrote:

In a 5 wood, still very difficult to best a V steel with appropriate shaft for your stated needs in a non-adjustable.

In adjustable, the various Cobra clubs with baffler rail system would be great place to start, f6 baffler is phenomenal out of rough.

I 2nd the V-Steel. Only switched to my Aeroburner for slightly lower spin numbers.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 16*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: K-Sig
    Bag: Pushcart - Maxfli Honors Carry - Taylormade Flextech Lite 
    Cart: TGW Players 
  • chch3chch3 Members Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with a F6 Baffler. It may be my favorite fairway wood ever. I liked it so much I bought another one as a back up. The can be had for next to nothing right now.

My second pick is the x2hot 5 deep. This thing is a straight up cannon. I have hit this off the tee 250+ on many occasions. Phenomenal club.

I would look at a cobra F8+ 4-5 wood also. I have the 2-3 wood and it is great.
    Cobra Bio Cell // HZRDUS Black
    Cobra F6 Baffler // HZRDUS Black
    Cobra F7 Hybrid // Diamana D+
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
    Ping Tour Gorge 52 // Project X
    Callaway PM Grind 56 // Project X
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black
  • Spartan BenSpartan Ben ClubWRX Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Have you considered an Epic 5w? I play the same 3w as you and picked up the Epic 5w for dirt cheap on callawaygolfpreowned.com and it's become my favorite club in the bag. It looks great, has plenty of pop, and easy to elevate off the tee or deck.
    Taylormade M2 (2016)
    Callaway Rogue Subzero Fairway
    Cobra F7 Hybrid
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Vokey SM6 (50F, 54F, 58K)
    Odyssey O-Works Black #2W
    Taylormade TP5x
  • jpcothrenjrjpcothrenjr Members Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I am not a Taylormade guy but I had a 2016 M1 5 wood that I wish I would not have parted with. I hit it high with a good bit of spin, it held greens well. I actually am looking for another or maybe a 7 wood as the 5 wood was really long and didn't gap properly between my 3 wood and 4 iron. I went back to a 19 degree hybrid that I do not hit neatly as well.
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    I have an old Benross HotSpeed 20* 5 wood that I hit straight every time, but I also like my Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood.

10.5 - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R  @ 44.5" [long T]
    16 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @ 42.5" [safe T]
    24 - 5 iron - Ping G crossover - Alta 75 R @ 39" [short safe T] / [long fade shots]

20 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 41" - D1
    25 - Hybrid - Big Bertha OS - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1
    7-PW - Taylormade M CGB - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D1-2
    48/53/58/64 - wedges - Ping G / Ping Eye 2+ / Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 s / Callaway Sure Out - AWT 2.0 W shafts
    Odyssey O’Works 2 Ball fang - Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag
    90-95mph Driver swing speed (up 5-10mph from last year)

• junior79junior79 Members Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    Callaway 816. You're welcome!
  • KGilmaKGilma Members Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for the F6 baffler, I put a Hzrdus Red 75 shaft on it, weight for 17.5*. Can't beat it off the tee or the fairway.
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Cobra King F9 3w 14.5*
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w 17.5*
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*/56*
    Scotty Newport 2
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChipNRun wrote:

balls_deep wrote:

Unpopular opinion - the best 5 wood is a 4 wood. I just switched and I'm loving having only one fairway.

For someone with a single FW, the 4W might do it for you. The pro I take lessons from uses a 5W with a 4W-length shaft.

As VNutz suggested, try the Tour Edge EX10 Beta 4W. (Really liked but couldn't afford it when new.) For 4Ws, an extra 1.5* loft really helps with launch off fairway.

Yup, replaced my 5 wood with a 4 wood, it's awesome, longer when needed than 5w, easier to launch from the ground than 3w, best of all worlds.

I only have one fairway wood as OP.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jt2gt wrote:

... Any additional thoughts on the Rogue SZ 5W vs. EX10 Beta 4? How is the Beta off the tee compared to the Rogue? Distance comparable? Ive got a Beta 13 and 15 for testing and deciding if I need the 16.5 or 18. They get great reviews for sound, feel, distance. Thanks for any info.

This will vary golfer to golfer. For me, the 16.5* Beta carried about 15 yards longer than my TE XRail 4W. The deeper (taller) Beta clubface gives a margin of error for smoother swingers.

Beta is much easier for me to hit than certain SubZero/tour FW heads. (I avoid SubZero and Ping LST clubheads in FWs).

Especially critical to the Beta is which shaft you pick. Model has three families of stock shafts.From light to heavy: Bassara E-Series / Graphite Design Tour AD50 / Aldila Rogue M-Ax

Z1ggy16 wrote:

I've always heard TEE makes great stuff but almost impossible to demo first.

TE has a large number of demo days and golf expo visits in the Midwest and on the West Coast, plus Florida and Texas. TE is a smaller company, and works a lot through golf shops that carry their brand. At expos, the TE rep often refers people to these local shops if they don't make an in-show purchase. (Note: Golf Galaxy does not carry TE equipment, some Edwin Watts and PGA Superstore operations do.)

Here is the TE dealer locator link: https://www.touredge...alerlocator.asp
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • 20six20six Members Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any old, small-headed Cobra 5 wood with rails. They used to make them with heads the size of today's hybrids, and they were fantastic. I played two of them until they were just worn out.
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88 Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The 5 wood for me that still hasn’t been beat is my tour issue 2016 m2 5 wood. The closest something has come is the 2017 m2 tour 5 (same specs, shafts) but not quite as good for me. M5 is en route as the next challenger.
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX tipped 1”
    M6 TI 3 (actual 14.8) w/Tensei Pro White 80 TX tipped 1.5”
    Miura MB 001 3-PW w/ PX LZ 7.0
    Vokey Indigo 452F (51 actual), Vokey SM7 Blue 54.08M (55 actual), Vokey WedgeWorks Blue 60T (52 PX LZ 6.5, 54/60 DGTI S400)
    Scotty Studio Select NP2/Taylormade Spider X
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Course dependent: P790 UDI w/ PX LZ 7.0; M5 5 wood w/Fuji Speeder 9.2 TS X

• nandersennandersen Boston, MAClubWRX Posts: 173 ClubWRX
    When I was hitting stiff shafted woods and like a mid-teen HCP, (I'm well into X now at mid-to-high teen SS), I had a Titleist 910F Diamana R-flex 5W. Swung easy and the shaft rewarded me. That thing couldn't miss the fairway... also went 35 yards shorter than my 3W.... but found the fairway....
    1W: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5) - Tour AD BB 7x
    3W: Taylormade M2 Tour (15) - Fujikura Pro 73x
    1-PW: Miura Baby Blades - TT Prototype Monaco X100 +0.75"
    54-10, 60-08: SM5 Vokey M-Grind
    Odyssey O-Works 7
  • mizunoMX25mizunoMX25 Members Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2019 3:49pm #57
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have ~100 mph driver SS, and can hit anything well off the tee. My issue is off the deck. I am still using a Burner from 2008 as my 3 wood because I haven't found anything else that's easier to hit off the deck. I can hit it high if I need to. I'd love to have a new 3 wood to get a little better launch condition but not at the cost of reliability off the deck. I've tried MANY 3 woods over the years and haven't found anything yet. I took a 2 year break from golf so I missed the M2 series which I hear is pretty easy to hit so I may try that next.

To 4 posts above me: I have the EX10 Beta in 16.5 with the GD AD 50 and it's fantastic off the tee. I haven't been able to consistently get it off the deck though. Seems to come out like a bullet which is the same problems I have with most fairways.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD IZ 6S
    Titleist TS2 15* GD AD DJ 7S
    Callaway OptiForce 5W
    818H1 3H 21*
    Srixon Z785 5-AW Aerotech i110 S
    Callaway 54/58 PM Grind 2019
    Scotty Cameron Newport / Machine M2A
  • orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder Members Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2019 3:52pm #58
    wait. we need a 5 wood and nobody told me that?

Callaway XR16 Pro TC 9º / Rogue TC 10.5º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X
    Callaway Rogue TC 15º + Fujikura Pro 6X | Adams Super LS Speedline TI 14º + Aldila RIP'd NV 7 TX
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid 18º + DG Tour Issue X100
    Nike Vapor Pro 3i + DG TI S300_
    Nike VR II Pro Blades + DG TI X100 4 - 9
    Scratch 8620 47º 50º 56º, STI 60º + DG Tour Issue X100/S400
    Scotty CLN, Edel The Brick
    Srixon Q Star Tour / Pro V1X

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TS2 18* with the HZRDUS Smoke 70 shaft....or OG RBZ 5 wood with the Ozick stock shaft
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HY
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120 
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • woodlakeccwoodlakecc Tim R Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Best purchase I ever made was to buy a Callaway Big Bertha 816 18 degree w/Aldila Rogue (S) 110 MSI from a local pro and adjusted it down to 17 degrees. Great off the tee and the deck, so good for me I have no need for a 3 wood in the bag anymore. Gave me room for another scoring club.
    Mizuno ST180 10.5 MRC Tensei Blue 60 S
    Mizuno ST180 17 MRC Tensei Blue 60 s
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 21 Steelfiber I95 Stiff
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW Recoil 95 F3 Regular Hard stepped
    Bridgestone J15 52 Recoil 95 F3 Regular Hard Stepped
    Vokey SM6 58 M grind
  • jgard320jgard320 ClubWRX Posts: 429 ClubWRX
    Tom Wishon 950hc 5 wood. It is deep, perfectly shaped, and has a maxed cor variable thickness face. Match it with the right low/low profile shaft for your swing and it will do everything you need out of a fairway wood.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file