Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

The hunt for the perfect 5 wood

1235»

Comments

• reechardreechard Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    uglande wrote:

For those endorsing the COBRA F6 BAFFLER ... Have you tried the Cobra F9 fairways (standard and tour)? I loved these and am going to buy the tour, which really keeps my spin under control, but I'm curious how these stack up to the F6?

f6 baffler is a UNICORN.

I tried the F9 Fairway Tour. I'm not quite sure what it was, I think sound? Either way I didn't like it as much as I do my F6.. Something about the f6 allows me to flight it and let it run out if I need to get out out there on the fairway. But also lets me hit it on Par 5's into the green and can launch higher.

Unicorn. If you find one, don't give it up.
    Currently in the bag:

Driver  F9 Speedback 8° // Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XT 60TX //
    Woods //  F6 Baffler 19° // Fujikura Pro 85s //
    DI //  P790 UDI // HZRDUS Black 6.5
    Irons // 4-PW  Amp Cell Pro Irons // DG S300 //
    Wedges // 50° - Cleveland RTX 4 //
    Wedges// 56° -  Engage //
    Wedges // 60° -  Engage //
    Putter // Odyssey JailBird Mini S //
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    reechard wrote:

uglande wrote:

For those endorsing the COBRA F6 BAFFLER ... Have you tried the Cobra F9 fairways (standard and tour)? I loved these and am going to buy the tour, which really keeps my spin under control, but I'm curious how these stack up to the F6?

f6 baffler is a UNICORN.

I tried the F9 Fairway Tour. I'm not quite sure what it was, I think sound? Either way I didn't like it as much as I do my F6.. Something about the f6 allows me to flight it and let it run out if I need to get out out there on the fairway. But also lets me hit it on Par 5's into the green and can launch higher.

Unicorn. If you find one, don't give it up.

If I could replicate the unicorn properties of the F6 Baffler in a 3W my life would be complete. The reality is a Baffler set at 16* is still better than any 3W I've ever hit and I regularly set it up that way, drop the 3W, and throw in a hybrid behind it. I hit my F6 3W just a touch farther, especially off the tee, so it's hard to permanently drop it, and the Baffler at 17.5* or 18.5* is so special that I prefer it in that spot. I've considered just carrying two Bafflers.

The club is special.
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    Update: I want to thank you all for the thoughts and recommendations. So.....I go to Golf Galaxy with a $50 gift card and $50 off $250 coupon ($100 total “in my pocket”) prepared to walk out with something shiny and new. I always go to the Used section first to poke around. Long story short: I walked out with an 17.5* R7 TP with the Diamana 83 Blueboard stiff for......$29.99. I couldn’t pass it up. Almost felt like it was meant to be. It’s in 8/10 shape, has a smaller head(I can’t get along with larger ones off the deck, mental thing), and has the Blueboard, a shaft I always loved. For that price I feel like it’s a worthwhile gamble.

Did you hit it in the simulator and get good numbers ? I did the same hitting demo 3 woods in a pgass in Vegas. Wanted to get a new 3 wood but hit a used 917 f2 better than all the new ones.
  • jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F9 Tour just arrived, ready for a 5W rumble with F6 Baffler & BiO Cell+.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra F6 3W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Ping G 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85H
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52 56 60
    Piretti Teramo CS

• nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    geno4952 wrote:

My choice for a 5 wood is the TM 200 series... I have a 2,3 and 5 and I can hit them both ways and high or low... just need to change shafts cuz I just don't need the S flex anymore... I was on that "eternal search" for decent fairway woods for years and ended up with these about 15 years ago and never looked back. I have gotten and used others but these have always been my favs....

Peace

I still have a set of them in the closet. Some of the greatest fairway woods of all time. I don't play them anymore but they bring back a lot of great memories.
  • phil59phil59 phil59 franceMembers Posts: 108 ✭✭
    i like my 5W PING G400

if you play correctly your driver,

in my opinion 3W is for better players ( for use on the deck principaly),

for the majority 4W or 5W is better
    PING G400 10.5° soft-R
    PING G400 wood soft-R 5 (16.5°) 7 (19.5°) 9 (22.5°)
    PING Faith    wood 7 (26°) reg 
    PING G le wood  9 30° soft-R
    PING S57  5  AWT reg (for low ball under trees,  better than I500 for me, I500 is too hight)
    PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - UW    (22,5° 27°  32,5° 37° 42° 47° 52°)
    PING Glide Forged 58° AWT 2.0 Reg   or  PING Tour W  58° AWT reg 
    PING Tour W 64° KBS 90 reg  in place I500  9 42° in hard conditions
    PING Sigma 2  FETCH
  • CCtrey5CCtrey5 Drinkin' Champagne on a Beer Budget Western PAMembers Posts: 66 ✭✭
    jbrunk wrote:

F9 Tour just arrived, ready for a 5W rumble with F6 Baffler & BiO Cell+

+1 for the BiO Cell+
    Cobra F7+
    Bio Cell+ 5-7 wood
    iBlades 4-W
    Nike Engage 50.54.58
    Method Mod 30
  • WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 10, 2019 1:17pm #129
    phil59 wrote:

i like my 5W PING G400

if you play correctly your driver,

in my opinion 3W is for better players ( for use on the deck principaly),

for the majority 4W or 5W is better

Just got on the G400 train 5 wd big minus. Fitter was pissed I don't get 410, but I hate red, so what of it? ��

Anyway, I set to play this way. Very accurate with my driver, so if it's not a driver hole - this thing works or 3i. Takes out the "I think I can hit my 3wd 250 off the deck" question too.

Left me alot of flexibility through irons making this move.
    PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack Pearsall finds it hysterical that Cobraddicts think those stupid rails on their Bafflers help them in the rough.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I currently love my Pro White 60 in driver and Pro White in 70 in my 3w. Has anyone tried the Pro White in a 5W?

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HY
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120 
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • mizunotpzmizunotpz Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

The 410 5 wood is long and forgiving. Easily the best 5 wood Ive tested. AND Ive tested a lot of them. Best 5 wood since the 906F2.

• par4bmwpar4bmw Members Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

5 wood is my favorite club. All time favorite was a TM 200 smoothie with an Accra SE80. Incredible workability but a sweet spot the size of a dime. Now, I can’t imagine a more balanced, accurate and workable wood than my Cobra F7 baffler / Chrome Elements. So much confidence with it.

M2 - Kuro Kage
    Aeroburner TP 3hl Matrix White Tie
    Aeroburner 4H Matrix White Tie
    Ping G 4-GW
    Titleist 54/58
    Custom Bobby Grace

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file