2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf Trip planning for April 16-21, recommendations welcome

Any recommendations? Right now I'm leaning towards the RTJ trail in Bama. I have a buddy who is also going with. Is there anywhere else that might be more cost effective? Preferrably within a 10-12 hour drive from Iowa. I want to avoid renting a car/flying to cut down on costs. And I'm going to try to save as much money as possible until then. Thanks!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

San Antonio / Austin is perfect in early April but is about 2 hours outside of 12 hour window. But you won't be disappointed.

That would be fun, any idea on costs compared to Bama? I'm guessing they would be similar?

I have not done the Bama trip but my initial suspicion is that SA / Austin could be a little bit more as far as lodging and green fees. But not by much.

Would have way better nightlife though.

You are limited by the 10-12 hr driving time from Iowa. Outside of that drive time I would look at Pinehurst or myrtle beach, can't beat that time of year at either place. RTJ courses are great but require a lot of driving between since they are spread out over the state - it may be just as cost effective to fly to a golf destination when you consider the total cost of driving.

San Antonio / Austin is perfect in early April but is about 2 hours outside of 12 hour window. But you won't be disappointed.

That would be fun, any idea on costs compared to Bama? I'm guessing they would be similar?

I have not done the Bama trip but my initial suspicion is that SA / Austin could be a little bit more as far as lodging and green fees. But not by much.

Any courses in SA/Austin that are a great value around that time? Any underrated tracks?

Any recommendations? Right now I'm leaning towards the RTJ trail in Bama. I have a buddy who is also going with. Is there anywhere else that might be more cost effective? Preferrably within a 10-12 hour drive from Iowa. I want to avoid renting a car/flying to cut down on costs. And I'm going to try to save as much money as possible until then. Thanks!!

I don't think you are going to beat the RTJ trail with those constraints.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Any courses in SA/Austin that are a great value around that time? Any underrated tracks?

Any course not at TPC or La Cantera I would consider good values really. All four courses are TPC and LC are amazing though.

Vaaler, Bandit, Republic, Cedar Creek, Silverhorn, Canyon Springs, Hyatt Hill Country, etc

If you're planning on golfing your brains out the unlimited is the way to go. Pick a site with 2 or more 18 hole setups and just park the car and golf.

I'm actually headed to Capitol Hill on the winter unlimited in 4 weeks. It will be after DST starts for me so getting two rounds in will be a piece of cake.

If you're planning on golfing your brains out the unlimited is the way to go. Pick a site with 2 or more 18 hole setups and just park the car and golf.

I'm actually headed to Capitol Hill on the winter unlimited in 4 weeks. It will be after DST starts for me so getting two rounds in will be a piece of cake.

So the Unlimited is literally any golf course except Ross Bridge and Lakewood it looks like. That seems like a pretty good deal. I don't imagine we would be doing much else in Alabama, besides eating at cool places (I love old school American diners, so I'm sure I can find some).

RTJ Trail would be what you’re looking for, with a caveat. April could be absolutely perfect weather. It’s also the peak time of year for heavy thunderstorms and tornadoes here in Alabama. Just something to consider. Good luck in your planning.

So the Unlimited is literally any golf course except Ross Bridge and Lakewood it looks like. That seems like a pretty good deal. I don't imagine we would be doing much else in Alabama, besides eating at cool places (I love old school American diners, so I'm sure I can find some).

I would play Ross Bridge anyway. It's a really good course and worth the extra cost.

I would play Ross Bridge anyway. It's a really good course and worth the extra cost.

Thanks for the input. Looks really cool online.

Any course not at TPC or La Cantera I would consider good values really. All four courses are TPC and LC are amazing though.

Vaaler, Bandit, Republic, Cedar Creek, Silverhorn, Canyon Springs, Hyatt Hill Country, etc

I agree, TPC and La Cantera are all solid courses. 4 total.

You can find some cheap deals if you're willing to use golfnow or teeoff to book places like silverhorn, cedar creek (one of my favorites in Austin(, Canyon Springs.

You can find cheap lodging in San Antonio but you will want to stay on the riverwalk, but it will obviously cost more. Can walk to a multitude of restaurants and bars.

This is really going to be a tough decision. Don't have a bunch of money to spend, so really concentrating on value/minimization of travel costs. Arkansas might be a winner.

What about next door in Nebraska? Can take I 80 and play Wilderness Ridge, Awarii Dunes, Wild Horse and a few others. You could even go up to the Prairie Club and make a full circle. Finding bars might be harder but you could find some good small town ones!

This is really going to be a tough decision. Don't have a bunch of money to spend, so really concentrating on value/minimization of travel costs. Arkansas might be a winner.

What about next door in Nebraska? Can take I 80 and play Wilderness Ridge, Awarii Dunes, Wild Horse and a few others. You could even go up to the Prairie Club and make a full circle. Finding bars might be harder but you could find some good small town ones!

Not a bad idea, but I trust the weather further south more around mid April.

What about Branson, Missouri?

In Arkansas, between Little Rock and Memphis, there's a state park with a fairly highly-regarded 27-hole course called The Ridges at Village Creek. Rates are sub-$50 and it looks like they have cabins onsite to stay in.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

• 2 weeks later...

In Arkansas, between Little Rock and Memphis, there's a state park with a fairly highly-regarded 27-hole course called The Ridges at Village Creek. Rates are sub-$50 and it looks like they have cabins onsite to stay in.

Will consider this. I sent a note to the RTJ trail facebook account, but they won't respond. Wanted to see just how busy those courses will be since it's the week after the Masters.

What about Tennessee golf? Any good value there?

Will consider this. I sent a note to the RTJ trail facebook account, but they won't respond. Wanted to see just how busy those courses will be since it's the week after the Masters.

What about Tennessee golf? Any good value there?

Give the RTJ guys a phone call. I booked my tee times (3 days, 6 rounds) in under 10 minutes.

You could do a trip to Crossville, TN and play Lake Tansi, Bear Trace at Cumberland and the courses at Fairfield Glade. Then you could do a quick 1.5 hr trip south and play sweetens cove golf club. Ranked #1 you can play in Tennessee 2016,2017 and 2018. Also #50 on Golfweek's 2018 modern courses in the US.

this looks like a good time!