ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. It will be getting MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

What style of putter best fits a "pop" putting stroke

rxk9fanrxk9fan Advanced Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
Not sure if moderators will leave this here but what are your thoughts for a "pop" stroke?

Mallet?

Blade?

Light?

Heavy?

What would be your ideal choice if you were wanting to incorporate a "pop" stroke?

Thank you!
Taylormade 2017 M2 with Hzrdus stiff
Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]
Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
Srixon Z945 with Recoil 110 F4 5i - PW
Taylormade Milled grind 52 with Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM 56 & 60 with SteelFiber R
TaylorMade Hi Toe 64 with SteelFiber R

Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!

Comments

• jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,551 ClubWRX
    Odyssey White Hot Rossie

-Snedeker
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Advanced Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    jj9000 wrote:

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

-Snedeker

I had looked that one up and he certainly makes it work. Thank you...great minds :-)

I like the feel of the o-works 7. Any thoughts about it for this style?
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff [font=arial, sans-serif]Oban Kiyoshi[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Tour Limited[/font]

Taylormade Spider X

• iutoddiutodd Advanced Members Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Well I have a Works Versa 7 and I’ve fiddled with a “pop” stroke - I’ve slowed things down since my experiment but I still tend to be a bit “hitty” with my putting.

For me the Works 7 was too stable to pop the ball. I felt like I couldn’t transition quickly and smoothly because the putter just didn’t want to do it. His stroke depends upon some wrist action so you want something that feels a bit looser I think.

I’ve hit the new O-Works 7S and it feels a bit more maneuverable and could probably work for you - but I would still want more of a mid-mallet style like the Rossie Sneds uses because of the wrist action - you don’t really manipulate the face that much but I think you need to feel like you can and the 7 is just too big for that. IMO.

I don’t know if that makes any sense.
  • SPARKPSPARKP ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 829 ClubWRX
    I've always had a "pop" stroke and for years used a Scotty Newport. For the last 2 years been using the PXG Gunboat H mallet putter and no issues at all. I think it all comes down to whatever fits your eye and gives you confidence.

COBRA F9 Speedback 10.5*| UST Helium F3
    COBRA F9 Speedback 3wd | Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6R
    ADAMS PRO A12 PRO 2 & 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya VTS Silver
    PXG GEN-2 0311XF 4 - 6 irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PXG GEN-2 0311P 7 - GW irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 SW 54* - 12 | Wedge Flex
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 LW 58* - 6 | Wedge Flex
    PXG GUNBOAT H Putter
    PXG STAFF BAG

• PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Advanced Members Posts: 6,347 ✭✭
    Personally I would look towards putters with softer inserts and lighter headweights.
    Ping G400 MAX 9* w/ Tour 65 (S)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,897 ✭✭
    Best putter I know uses a mallet with a pop stroke. Futura, spider, or some Cleveland monstrosity.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Advanced Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    Thank you for the comments and help. I have been SO bad for about 18 months since coming back to golf after a 10 year break. Almost my entire life I have been left hand low. I have to be honest with myself and admit it just is not working now.

I have decided to commit this year to forget the "pop", forget the left hand low, and forget the 35" putters.

I spent 6 or 7 hours over the last 2 days watching and trying to mimic Jason Day with a new Spider X in my hands. I will try his setup and his hands placement. I thought I would never change from left hand low, but this feels pretty smooth already.

I am excited to work on this!

Thank you for the good advice here. It was good but I need to make a BIG change!

Last round a week ago was brutal conditions with 25-35mph winds. After six holes I was on the par 5 in 2 and then 4 putted for bogey. I hit 4 of the other 5 in regulation. Hit them great and was 5 over after those 6 holes. Got to make a big change and the bar is low :-)

Taylormade Spider X

• 3eagles183eagles18 Advanced Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    I had the same issues. Have gone to Fowler feet close together with success. As to the OP, try a bullseye.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Advanced Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    edited February 19
    Any style suits it...the stroke is more about a touch of wrist action with a sharp stop quickly after impact.

Have to try out several types..face balance to high degree of toe hang and see what best suits how you pop stroke.

I would venture a guess that a high moi face balanced putter would be the worst. That pop stroke is usually a bit quicker tempo and a large face balanced mallet is going to leave the toe open a lot.
  • rjcejkarjcejka bbbc Advanced Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I've certainly had my share of putters and putting strokes. I used the pop stroke for years and at times in the middle of a season I'll go back. I researched quite a few pop strokes, Snedeker, to many of the old school players. Bought a Odyssey Rossie and didn't work for me. One guy I found on line was Mike O'Leary. He has a lot of old and new instruction on line but for the last 15 years he's taught the pop stroke (symple putting, amazing putting, perfect putting). He sold putters by the name of symple putter and amazing putter (check out google or youtube to see the style), it looks something like a Nike MC11W though I've never tried the Nike. I just sold a Odyssey 2 ball backstryke putter that worked well with the pop. I experimented with an anser, Wilson 88802 blade, Nike Ketch (the trail end of the head kept hitting the ground), Odyssey #3 and #7s and I've been most consistent with the Amazing putter. I find the pop works best for me for long lag puts but within 5 feet I struggled and the amazing putter seemed to make the closer putts more consistent. 33", lie angle (68 degrees which is flatter since hands are closer to your legs and right elbow tucked into your hip if using slightly open stance, face 4 degrees, head weight feels heavy (over 370g ?), rounded grip. center shafted. At the opposite end I tried the Legal Limits putter using a pop stroke, it's very upright (79 degrees) center shafted with a Flatso grip having the flat part face the hole. Because of the upright lie angle you stand very very close to the ball and using the pop it was pretty effective. I know, many combos but I tinkered and found the pop works with different set ups.
  • rjcejkarjcejka bbbc Advanced Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

Any style suits it...the stroke is more about a touch of wrist action with a sharp stop quickly after impact.

Have to try out several types..face balance to high degree of toe hang and see what best suits how you pop stroke.

I would venture a guess that a high moi face balanced putter would be the worst. That pop stroke is usually a bit quicker tempo and a large face balanced mallet is going to leave the toe open a lot.
    This makes sense, his Rossie is face balanced but not a huge MOI mallet. Snedeker's "pop" stroke is very unique and difficult to replicate because it incorporates the wrists and arms; sort of between a traditional swing and a very wristy pop stroke. I tried it and couldn't quite get it. The pop i used was all wrist. Little to no movement from the shoulders, just tried to hinge/unhinge the wrists (1, 2....1, 2) Of course that's the thought but the longer the putt I'm sure the shoulders rocked a touch. Using all wrists the face stayed pretty square back and through since the length of the stroke is so short. I found a mallet style works but a long back (like the Ketch hit the ground now and then). A blade felt ok too since I thought of the wrist pop like throwing a dart where it is all touch........if I could only pick a swing thought and stick with it.
  • SPARKPSPARKP ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 829 ClubWRX
    edited February 20
    rxk9fan wrote:

Thank you for the comments and help. I have been SO bad for about 18 months since coming back to golf after a 10 year break. Almost my entire life I have been left hand low. I have to be honest with myself and admit it just is not working now.

I have decided to commit this year to forget the "pop", forget the left hand low, and forget the 35" putters.

I spent 6 or 7 hours over the last 2 days watching and trying to mimic Jason Day with a new Spider X in my hands. I will try his setup and his hands placement. I thought I would never change from left hand low, but this feels pretty smooth already.

I am excited to work on this!

Thank you for the good advice here. It was good but I need to make a BIG change!

Last round a week ago was brutal conditions with 25-35mph winds. After six holes I was on the par 5 in 2 and then 4 putted for bogey. I hit 4 of the other 5 in regulation. Hit them great and was 5 over after those 6 holes. Got to make a big change and the bar is low :-)

Well don't know if it will help you or not but my stance is exactly like Fowlers. Except I use the pencil grip and place the ball ( right-handed ) off of my left big toe, that way the ball gets rolling forward faster. Try and chase the ball with the putter head and keep your eye on it the whole way. As I stated earlier I use the "pop" stroke and very rarely 3-putt, very confident in my putting.

COBRA F9 Speedback 10.5*| UST Helium F3
    COBRA F9 Speedback 3wd | Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6R
    ADAMS PRO A12 PRO 2 & 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya VTS Silver
    PXG GEN-2 0311XF 4 - 6 irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PXG GEN-2 0311P 7 - GW irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 SW 54* - 12 | Wedge Flex
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 LW 58* - 6 | Wedge Flex
    PXG GUNBOAT H Putter
    PXG STAFF BAG

• Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 15,514 ClubWRX
    edited February 20
    I don’t know that you can really pick a specific putter for the pop stroke though bear in mind that the majority of Players used a heel shafted blade, ala the 8802, or a a more mid-shaft blade like the Bullseye back when the Pop was in its hey day. The critical components of a successful pop stroke are touch and feel and the lighter blade like putters are more conducive to this stroke though if a mallet or mega-mallet(the big Spider) allow you to successfully execute this stroke, that’s great!!

Stay well Gents🍻

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • kiwiikiwii Advanced Members Posts: 664 ✭✭
    Exactly what Forged said.

Historically players with the higher velocity putting style used bullseye putters or 8802 style putters.

If I were to want more velocity on my stroke I would want a softer insert putter. With that in mind the perfect putter would be a 8802 style with a odyssey like insert.
    '17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV