3 Full Days in Socttsdale

Alright Fellas, heading back out to Scottsdale and this is by no means is our first rodeo. We just locked up the AirBnb and flight and are going in August. We are 100% aware it's going to be 165 degrees but we are from South Florida and live in the sweltering heat. So a few years back when we went out there we ended up playing We-Ko-Pa Saguaro and Troon North Pinnacle. We fly in late on a Wednesday night and leave around 5 on Sunday. What we are thinking is

Thursday 36 at GrayHawk

Friday 18 at Quintero

Sat 18 Troon North Monument

We are only good for 1 round of 36 so those 18s will stay the way they are on those days. My question is would anyone suggest other CANT MISS courses to play. 2 of the guys coming out did not play Troon. Let me know, everyone on these forums has been helpful over the years, let's see if you can do it again!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really did not enjoy Southern Dunes. I wonder if it's more locals that prefer it because it so different from the norm of the region? However, I can't compare to Quintero as that's on the list for this year.

I go to Scottsdale yearly in July/August because I love heat. Have not played Grayhawk in years because for whatever reason their rates are totally unreasonable for that time of year. But I do enjoy both tracks.

I would do 36 at Wekopa, I love the place. I know Saguaro is generally preferred but for me, flip a coin. I'd be happy on either track. Both terrific.

I wouldn't call it can't miss, but I played Eagle Mountain for the first time last year and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Fun course on the way out to Wekopa

Alright Fellas, heading back out to Scottsdale and this is by no means is our first rodeo. We just locked up the AirBnb and flight and are going in August. We are 100% aware it's going to be 165 degrees but we are from South Florida and live in the sweltering heat. So a few years back when we went out there we ended up playing We-Ko-Pa Saguaro and Troon North Pinnacle. We fly in late on a Wednesday night and leave around 5 on Sunday. What we are thinking is

Thursday 36 at GrayHawk

Friday 18 at Quintero

Sat 18 Troon North Monument

We are only good for 1 round of 36 so those 18s will stay the way they are on those days. My question is would anyone suggest other CANT MISS courses to play. 2 of the guys coming out did not play Troon. Let me know, everyone on these forums has been helpful over the years, let's see if you can do it again!

I think your line up is fine. There are many out here who hate Quintero, but universally first timers out there love it. It is nearly always in fantastic condition, and visually is a really interesting course. The hate comes from a repetitive, poor shot value layout, which most don't even realize until after playing it three times. Southern Dunes is the exact opposite. Kind of visually unappealing on the first round, but has some very interesting and solid golf holes (contrary to above comments there are many similar courses here in the valley). After playing both many times I would split 10 rounds: 8 Southern Dunes 2 Quintero. Since you have already played Wekopa and are looking for something different I would not recommend to drop Grayhawk just to play Wekopa Cholla. It is decidedly inferior to Saguaro. Like I said I like your lineup. Depending on where you are staying Quintero and Southern Dunes will be a significant commute.

I would personally drop Greyhawk and Depending on your willingness to travel do 36 in Wickenburg (Los Caballeros, Wickenburg Ranch) or do 36 up in Sedona.

I also prefer Southern Dunes to Quintero but that's not to say you won't enjoy Quintero. I've taken clients from out of town to Quintero and they absolutely loved it! The views are stunning and the conditions will be great. Southern dunes in the summertime is full of mosquitos and flies so I would imagine that being annoying for out of towners.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

I'd play Southern Dunes 100 times before going to Quintero once.

Really? How come?

As Floridians you’ll love Quintero. It has dramatic vistas, always in superb shape. August the greens will be lightning, assuming they haven’t been punched.

It’s a love/hate with locals. People don’t like the layout due to repetitive par 3’s, goofy par 5’s, but if your not a course design junkie, you guys will be just fine. If your into beauty and grandeur you’ll love it.

I always recommend Quintero to out of town guests.

With that being said, if I had the option to play Southern Dunes or Quintero myself, I’m playing Southern Dunes. As a visitor, you’ll love it.

You may want to put some consideration into the Verrado Coures in the SW Valley. Twobawesome courses that provide some of the best bang for the buck in Arizona.

Check out the SW Forum, tons of good information.

I agree that Quintero is a great option for people from out of state. Sure 3/4 par 3's are similar, but they are visually awesome holes. Personally I think 9 out there is a terrible design as there is no place to play safe or miss, but when standing on that tee box and looking at #10 going back up the mountain, that is one of the best views I have seen on a golf course. Also the conditions out there are amazing although I have not been there in the summer months. I've played SD as well and it is an awesome golf course, but for guys coming from FL in my opinion I would pick Quintero for the experience.

Quintero is great for out of towners or for a once in a while round and is extremely scenic. I would definitely add Southern Dunes or even Verrado Founders course as the other option. Verrado is fairly scenic but also a good solid layout and underrated in my opinion. A desert course but without all of the target golf nonsense. SD is very good as well though but it's not desert golf so if that is what you are after you would be a little disappointed.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Ive always liked Las Sendas but i dont see people talking about it much.

When most of us mention Las Sendas it is to recommend avoiding it. Nothing more than a cramped housing community with a poorly designed golf course attached.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Especially at that time of year, I'd drive out to Apache Stronghold. It'll be a few degrees cooler, and it's a great course....

....unless you guys are manicured course queens. Maintenance is an issue out there, but your green fee will reflect it.

I'm part of the anti-Quintero crowd. Every hole is dead straight, often frame bunkered. Pretty much all the par 4's and 5's are uphill and then the par 3's downhill. It's pretty but it's just not fun or interesting.

Do you guys book a package through a golf tour company or book it all yourself?

Also I am thinking of going to Scottsdale for a week in April or May, what courses do you guys recommend?

Thinking of 5 or 6 rounds in 7 days.

Where is good to stay for hotels or resorts?

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

Also I am thinking of going to Scottsdale for a week in April or May, what courses do you guys recommend?

We took the DIY route . Stayed at Meridian Condo Resorts so we had a condo in Scottsdale for a week. They can do golf bookings too but we selected and booked all the courses according to our own wants. Dont miss Troon North (we played Monument but others prefer Pinnacle), Grayhawk Raptor, We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, Wickenberg Ranch (2hrs out of town) and Southern Dunes (1hr). And not everyone likes TPC Stadium but its a hoot. Also a trip to Sedona to play Seven Canyons might be worth it although your time is short. Plenty of cheaper options too so whatever you do will be good.

We took the DIY route . Stayed at Meridian Condo Resorts so we had a condo in Scottsdale for a week. They can do golf bookings too but we selected and booked all the courses according to our own wants. Dont miss Troon North (we played Monument but others prefer Pinnacle), Grayhawk Raptor, We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, Wickenberg Ranch (2hrs out of town) and Southern Dunes (1hr). And not everyone likes TPC Stadium but its a hoot. Also a trip to Sedona to play Seven Canyons might be worth it although your time is short. Plenty of cheaper options too so whatever you do will be good.

What did you think of southern dunes?

Ak Chin Southern Dunes is an excellent course to visit. It has every good attribute - well conditioned (although it was flooded last year so may still be recovering), strong design (ie plenty of risk/reward opps), pleasing although not spectacular aesthetics, solid green complexes, and pretty good customer service. The Grill restaurant is worth stopping for, as well. Most enjoyable.

How did you like Meridian? Thinking of staying there in a few months

How did you like Meridian? Thinking of staying there in a few months

I think Meridian were quite good. The actual apartment was nothing special being one of about 150 in a complex. But it had everything we needed like a good kitchen, washing machine and dishwasher with a couple of bathrooms. Very economical too when you have a few sharing. Also they serviced the place after about 5 days. We arrived late on day 1 but they made good arrangements for key pickup. It was close to TPC and Grayhawk and not too far from all the others. So all in all, I would do it again if the opportunity arose.

What did you think of southern dunes?

Southern Dunes is my favorite course in the valley. Because it's a little bit out of town, they always keep it in great shape with reasonable rates to attract people to drive down to Maricopa. If you are a high handicap player, you might not like it that much as there are bunkers strategically placed everywhere on every hole and it is LONG (7,500+ from the tips).

When I have friends who visit for golf, they all tell me SD was their favorite of the courses we played. I've found that the lower your handicap, the more you tend to enjoy the course.

I'd play Southern Dunes 100 times before going to Quintero once.

Really? How come?

Southern Dunes is enjoyable. Quintero on the other hand is an abortion.

Wow! That settles it. Great description.

Another fella took care of the description when he said that one of the best features of the course was the view from a tee down a different hole’s fairway. When a notable feature involves a routing that you don’t play - go elsewhere.

I play in the summer all the time. Much prefer it to the winter due to the open courses, (very) low prices, and I even think most of the courses are at their prettiest. Bring wet towels to keep around your head and keep them wet. 36 might be exhausting, so be careful. In the summer, I've played Grayhawk, Troon, We-ko-pa, and TPC for less than $50.

Grayhawk is the most overrated club in Scottsdale (in my opinion). Not bad courses, but far from a must-play and not very scenic. I'de choose Talking Stick North over either GH course any day.

Troon is a must for me, at least to play once in your life. It is a grind in the summer. We-ko-pa (both courses) are must-plays to me, with Saguaro being the best public course in Scottsdale in my opinion. Southern Dunes completes the must-play trifecta, but it's a drive. Haven't played Quintero so I can't weigh in there...but if I was doing the drive I'd pick that over Wickenburg. I would pick Troon over Boulders, and would play one or the other but not both.

Also a trip to Sedona to play Seven Canyons might be worth it although your time is short. Plenty of cheaper options too so whatever you do will be good.

Agree about 7-canyons, but it's a private course isn't it? Kind of like a mini-Troon with even better views.

Views at 7 canyons are unmatched. I believe it is a stay and play course. I emailed them a few years back and was able to play it though.

Also a trip to Sedona to play Seven Canyons might be worth it although your time is short. Plenty of cheaper options too so whatever you do will be good.

Agree about 7-canyons, but it's a private course isn't it? Kind of like a mini-Troon with even better views.

Well they allowed us to play as visitors, so their standards are not too high!