Newport detour (custom)

Jacob37Jacob37 Posts: 95 ClubWRX
edited Feb 13, 2019 10:51pm in Putters #1
Have opportunity to buy this. And i know the detour was a flop but this thing is sick. My question is, with the detour being such a bust would the resale ever be there on this. It’s custom built with copper insert

Comments

• Jacob37Jacob37 Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    Also. Black shaft. Black matador.m grip. 340 grams.
  • bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,319 ✭✭
    I have seen some listed for as much as 400. But usually these sell around 250. I just did one and really like it. 344 gram head and great feeling copper face. I can't decide on sight dot or line.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    Who did that? I hated the detour, but that looks dope.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members Posts: 2,978 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

Who did that? I hated the detour, but that looks dope.

NorCal Putters

- Josh
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    He posts quite a few of those conversions, looks great after that thing is gone off the back lol
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,019 ✭✭
    Ignoring the cost of the work put into it, I'd say it'll hold more value than even a brand new, grip-in-plastic Detour, because the Detour is held in such low esteem. I mean, the only way I'd ever buy a mint Detour would be to have it turned into this.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-W - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    UW - Ping i25, Ping CFS
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
    I have a tei3 and a detour like this (without blacked out). I sent my Tei3 to get pvd coating and not the detour because the detour didn't make financial sense to do so. Norcal is trying to make a market out of these and I think they are a great putter. That being said, the base detour is so low value(I bought mine a few weeks ago for $80ish in decent shape) i just don't see many selling at high dollar amounts on ebay. I have been watching a couple of the higher ones and they don't sell. The hope norcal has is that they are making a cheap button back, or 10th anniversary Teryllium. But the only way to do a 10th anniversary IMO is to get a rainbow DLC finish done which the place that does it on ebay can do.

cost for norcal likely

-around $100 for the putters

-face insert if they buy from Spry evo is retail $120- lets say they got a discount and they are $100/ or they mill their own (which they should be able to and cost should be more than $25)

-coating- if they did a polymer I'm sure the cost is low. If DLC then likely $40-60 for them in bulk as I'm sure they shop this finish out.

Best case they are in them just under $200 and I'm thinking they are selling for around $400. (search ebay are you can find one for much less)

-here is one that someone is probably in over $250 and selling for that. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotty-Cameron-Newport-2-Detour-Conversion-35/323641171084?hash=item4b5a845c8c:g:nzQAAOSw0d1cNS18:rk:12:pf:0
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 1,974 ClubWRX
    i have had a couple. putter spa does them for me. the question from op - would the resale be where? if you want to get your money back, i am sure you could. like others have said these sell for around 250-300 converted. maybe more at times, but less also. that is average. and if you find one for around 125 (average sale on ebay) and get the work done for about the same, you can get your money back. in my opinion - for 250 - its a bad a$$ putter. i would keep it and game it.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    PXG 19 Hyb
    PXG 0311t Irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Mannkrafted 1/1 OGG Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • BobbyLiteBobbyLite Robert M DallasMembers Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Isn’t NorCal asking $500 for that? It looks dope - way over priced though
    Rob
    Taylormade M3 9* - Diamana Whiteboard 73x Flowerband
    Cleveland Launcher FL 15* - Diamana Whiteboard 83x Flowerband
    Wilson FG62s - TT S300
    Titleist SM7 52/56/60 - TT S300
    Olson Custom 34"

• semarlorsemarlor Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 608 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2019 10:26pm #11
    Do all Detours have the flange line or are they adding that? One of the biggest appeals night be the chance to get a naked NP2 shape or add a sight dot.
  • Jacob37Jacob37 Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    BobbyLite wrote:

Isn’t NorCal asking $500 for that? It looks dope - way over priced though

Yea they’re too high for what it is. Def not paying that for it
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,019 ✭✭
    semarlor wrote:

Do all Detours have the flange line or are they adding that? One of the biggest appeals night be the chance to get a naked NP2 shape or add a sight dot.

I don't know the answer, but I'd have to assume they add it.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-W - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    UW - Ping i25, Ping CFS
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
    I looked back at more pictures and I think you're right. It really wouldn't make sense to have an alignment aid under a huge alignment aid, haha. I am seriously considering this project!
    semarlor wrote:

Detours have nothing. The sign line is on the insert that is removed. You have to add something. I am split right now with the one I did because I normally like a sight line but Rickie's new putter with the dot has me intrigued.
    edited Feb 15, 2019 11:55am #16
    Jacob37 wrote:

BobbyLite wrote:

Isn't NorCal asking $500 for that? It looks dope - way over priced though

Yea they're too high for what it is. Def not paying that for it

If you search and want to find one you could do this for less.

I made my own insert(which is a pain without a mill) and did my own finishing so my total cost right now is around $120 for a stainless one. I can add a sight dot but would send out for a line. 344 gram head and the face feels great.

If you wanted to do one cost below-

you could buy one for $100ish(patience on ebay)

hire someone to do a sight dot or line $50ish

buy the insert($120ish)

Stainless would be under 300 is you can spend a couple hours sanding and polishing

If you want black or rainbow you could get it done for $100ish with DLC (by far the best coating out right now) I just got DLC done for $60 from a new place(needed 6 clubs for the deal)
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,072 ✭✭
    Best loooking conversion of a detour I’ve seen. That’s worth the money of someone wants a copper insert. Half price of a nice button back.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited Feb 15, 2019 12:12pm #18
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    Looks very nice, however I'm not a fan of the murdered-out theme.

Surprising that NorCal is recreating the 7-point crown stamping here; I don't know if it is trademarked by SC but that just seems to be in poor taste IMO. I actually prefer the inserts that feature the "TeI3" dot pattern on the cavity side. True, it looks like the T10 anniversary putters but it's also not a proprietary stamping.

bradski wrote:

semarlor wrote:

Detours have nothing. The sign line is on the insert that is removed. You have to add something. I am split right now with the one I did because I normally like a sight line but Rickie's new putter with the dot has me intrigued.

I too like the fact that these mods allow the possibility of a NP2 head with no flange line; I too would add a sight dot as that is my preferred aid.
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
    I just got a good deal on a NP2 Detour in decent condition...now I just need to sell a thing or two so I can get the insert kit from Spry Evo! Hopefully it isn't too beat up when I get it so I can smooth it out on my own but even if I send it to Continental to refinish I shouldn't be out too much. Hopefully the head weight will be over 340 so I can just use a tip weight to get it up a little bit.
    semarlor wrote:

I just got a good deal on a NP2 Detour in decent condition...now I just need to sell a thing or two so I can get the insert kit from Spry Evo! Hopefully it isn't too beat up when I get it so I can smooth it out on my own but even if I send it to Continental to refinish I shouldn't be out too much. Hopefully the head weight will be over 340 so I can just use a tip weight to get it up a little bit.

With their insert it gets the head weight right near 340 grams. I doubt you will loose too much weight unless you have to remove some major dings. Post pictures if there is anything too deep because you might be able to hammer some out.