ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Wedge graphite shafts

golftechgolftech Advanced Members Posts: 411
I really enjoyed my move into graphite iron shafts last year. Spent the year experimenting with Aldila’s NV 105’s. A nice weight and loved the stiffness (X flex soft stepped twice). Even tried a few wedges in that combo and they worked. Upgrading wedges now and wondering what other options I might have. Want to stay to 105-115 gram range with good stiffness. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Advanced Members Posts: 7,035 ✭✭
    I’ve played Recoil Proto 125 F5 for 2 years in all 4 of my wedges. Quite nice, softest feel imaginable, even being an extra stiff.

They make 110’s as well if you like lighter.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • dmonaco19dmonaco19 Advanced Members Posts: 810 ✭✭
    Recoil protos or the new Accra i tour series are great
    Dig up some dirt
    :-D
  • BadshaftBadshaft Advanced Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    I recently bought the Paderson wedge shaft - So far I'm really happy with the performance and they look great-

Stiff is 125g
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,640 ✭✭
    edited February 15

I’ve played Recoil Proto 125 F5 for 2 years in all 4 of my wedges. Quite nice, softest feel imaginable, even being an extra stiff.

I'll second that. My (current) favorite wedge shafts are the Recoil 110's.

Although, if you like a softer wedge shaft, instead of soft-stepping, you could try the newer Steelfiber fc115's.
  • extrastiffextrastiff Advanced Members Posts: 855 ✭✭
    golftech wrote:

I really enjoyed my move into graphite iron shafts last year. Spent the year experimenting with Aldila’s NV 105’s. A nice weight and loved the stiffness (X flex soft stepped twice). Even tried a few wedges in that combo and they worked. Upgrading wedges now and wondering what other options I might have. Want to stay to 105-115 gram range with good stiffness. Any suggestions?
    steelfiber 110x throughout set. Very happy with feel and bend
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • golftechgolftech Advanced Members Posts: 411
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Since I like my wedge shafts on the stiffer side (a stout S or weak X), am I better with a Recoil 110 F4 or F5. Wondering how that compares to Steelfiber 110s, which I’ve heard to both very stiff and balanced with more weight toward the grip end (is that correct). Thanks,
    golftech wrote:

Wondering how that compares to Steelfiber 110s, which I’ve heard to both very stiff and balanced with more weight toward the grip end (is that correct). Thanks,

Everyone is different - but for me - and for the same flex - the difference in stiffness was roughly equivalent to something around 1 or 2 soft steps. Noticeable - but not significant at all. For me the balance issues and consequences were more noticeable. At 'standard' lengths, the added tip weight resulted in the SF i110's playing more like a 115-118 gm shaft instead of 110. Now for those needing over length clubs, I think the SF's would likely be a very good choice - especially for wedges where it's harder to find lighter weight heads.
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Advanced Members Posts: 1,265 ✭✭
    edited February 16
    UST Mamiya Attas Spinwedge. I have the previous model in a few heads.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/golftheory/item/ust-atwgip/

‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Advanced Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    Happy with Accra SP wedge shafts personally.
  • WoodersonWooderson Advanced Members Posts: 1,965 ✭✭
    If you like stiff I would think the Aldila RIP would be an option.
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G400 Max 9° Tour 65 Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash 15°
    Callaway Epic Heavenwood
    Ping G410 22°
    Titleist 818 H1 25°
    TM p790 6-PW Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW
    Ping Eye2 LW
    Odyssey Marxman
    edited February 17
    I found several VIP wedges shafts on eBay. What is the flex of the RIP SLT 115 Tour? I’ve seen some of these marked SLT 115 Tour S, others SLT 115 Tour. I’m not sure the difference. Thanks,
    golftech wrote:

I found several VIP wedges shafts on eBay. What is the flex of the RIP SLT 115 Tour? I’ve seen some of these marked SLT 115 Tour S, others SLT 115 Tour. I’m not sure the difference. Thanks,

I suspect the only difference is that some sellers listed the stiffness, and some did not.

And an uninformed seller may not even know it. The labeling of the Rip Tour iron shafts did not include a flex. Aldila used colors to differentiate the different stiffness's.
    Stuart G. wrote:

I'll second that. My (current) favorite wedge shafts are the Recoil 110's.

Although, if you like a softer wedge shaft, instead of soft-stepping, you could try the newer Steelfiber fc115's.

Stuart, do you play the F4 or F5 in the Recoil 110s. I’ve found some F4 110s wedge shafts locally, but don’t know how stiff they’ll play.
    golftech wrote:

Stuart, do you play the F4 or F5 in the Recoil 110s. I’ve found some F4 110s wedge shafts locally, but don’t know how stiff they’ll play.

I'll play F4. For the longer clubs I'd soft step them x1 - but for the wedges it doesn't really change anything so I don't bother.

I'll I can tell you is that the F4's will play a bit softer than the NV 105's in stiff and the Steelfibers in stiff. Likely noticeable for most, but not even close to a full flex. As I mentioned above - probably like soft stepping those shafts somewhere around x1 and x2.
    Stuart G. wrote:
    golftech wrote:

I'll play F4. For the longer clubs I'd soft step them x1 - but for the wedges it doesn't really change anything so I don't bother.

I'll I can tell you is that the F4's will play a bit softer than the NV 105's in stiff and the Steelfibers in stiff. Likely noticeable for most, but not even close to a full flex. As I mentioned above - probably like soft stepping those shafts somewhere around x1 and x2.

Thanks STUART, this is helpful. I’m thinking similar to having S200’s in my Vokey’s while everything else was S300s. Was an initial difference, then didn’t notice. Just made the adjustment and got use to the feel.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Advanced Members Posts: 11,367 ✭✭
    I have a set of those nv105x's as well. Just picked up some Fuji mci100s iron shafts as well

I like steelfiber 125s in wedges
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu s2 54.5* & s3 57.5*
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
    cardoustie wrote:
    I have a set of those nv105x's as well. Just picked up some Fuji mci100s iron shafts as well

I like steelfiber 125s in wedges

How do the Fuji mci100s compared to the NV105s? I’m now 9 months into the NV105s and really enjoying them. Solid feel, slightly more penetrating trajectory, but about to hit high shots when required. Also coming from KBD 120 gram shafts, a nice step lighter, without feeling like I couldn’t control.
  • ian-500ian-500 Advanced Members Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Crazy wedge shafts were my favourite, with Accra Tour TiMesh. Some graphite I've found to feel dead in wedges, but some are awesome. Steelfiber 125 were good too.
    Cobra F9 9* + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 7x.
    Callaway Rogue 19 Tour Issue + Tour AD IZ 8s.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Adams XTD Forged SW/LW + KBS Hi-Rev x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.