Sigma 2 Tyne vs TM Spider X vs SC Phantom X5

JokerK3nJokerK3n SingaporeMembers Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited Feb 16, 2019 11:05am in Putters #1
Hi all, as the title suggests I'm looking for a new putter this season. Been struggling with a SC Notchback 2016 for a while now and thinking of switching to a mallet to ease those putting woes. I have narrowed down to these 3 choices based on shape and shaft bends I prefer. Hope you guys who had the chance to try all three to give me some advice! Which have you rolled and which will you get?

Comments

• JokerK3nJokerK3n SingaporeMembers Posts: 21 ✭✭

For those who are struggling to make a decision, I went with Taylormade Spider X and absolutely loved it! Shaved an average of 5 strokes a game!
    I tried the Ping Sigma 2 and felt it was way too soft, causing problems in distance control.
    Let me know if you need an extensive review. Cheers!

• collindm1collindm1 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭

The new Scotty line feels fantastic, rolled them today. Never can get on the spider bandwagon as much as i want to. Ping is just too soft. Id go scotty

• IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭

I got to putt with the new scottys.... gotta say, I was sceptical... I am typically a blade guy...

They are sweet, super solid and dont appear large and unyielding. Good sticks.

Your really cant go wrong based on your choices, it's about what gives you confidence..

I used blade all my life (15 years) because I loved the look and feel but sucked at putting all 15 years; was always the worse aspect of my game. More and more touring pros are switching to mallets so I thought, why not?
    I couldn't wait for the new Scotty line to put me out of my putting woes so I jumped on the Spider wagon. When you look at tour statistics more use Spider than SC mallets.
    The new Spider is really beautiful. Get a good fitter to look at your stroke and set-up, I bent my Spider X 2 degrees upright and it sits so squarely my friend commented on it at least 10/18 holes!

• bd59bd59 Members Posts: 809 ✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2019 11:09am #6

I’ve had the Spider X and now the Scotty Phantom. Have not tried the Ping though. Spider to me was a big disappointment on the feel department. I loved the Spider Tour red and black but these I just couldn’t get a feel for. The Phantom surprised me as well, VERY SOLID!!

I haven't had the chance to try the SC Phantom yet, but I'll stick to my Spider. Maybe try different weights if you still have them!

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 599 ✭✭

Tried all three.....Stuck with the Spider X Navy. Great balance, weight and feel off the clubface.

The Phantom was wayyy too busy for my eyes. and the Sigma as much as I love PING was a little too soft as others have mentioned.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*/60* 
    Taylormade Spider X Navy 
    TaylorMade TP5
    WITB
  • SuperBombinSuperBombin Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

Tried them all ended up with the sigma 2 Tyne 4. Sam fitting showed this was the best for my stroke and put me at 98% consistency. After a couple small tweaks I was rolling 7 balls dead center of the cup.

Love the shape of the Tyne too. Simple and minimalistic and just helps me visualize a mini railroad track towards the hole.

@SuperBombin said:
    Tried them all ended up with the sigma 2 Tyne 4. Sam fitting showed this was the best for my stroke and put me at 98% consistency. After a couple small tweaks I was rolling 7 balls dead center of the cup.

Love the shape of the Tyne too. Simple and minimalistic and just helps me visualize a mini railroad track towards the hole.

I really liked the Tyne for it's shape and was dead set on it until I tried the Spider X. The Sigma 2 insert is way too soft for me. I'm glad you like it! :)

• thesamwisethesamwise A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man Members Posts: 534 ✭✭

Anyone know when Ping drops new putters? I am sitting over here trying my best not to buy anything new in the hopes that the next release will have a Vault (milled) Tyne.