Sigma 2 Tyne vs TM Spider X vs SC Phantom X5

JokerK3n ·  
JokerK3nJokerK3n Singapore 22WRX Points: 22Handicap: 3Members Posts: 22 Bunkers
Hi all, as the title suggests I'm looking for a new putter this season. Been struggling with a SC Notchback 2016 for a while now and thinking of switching to a mallet to ease those putting woes. I have narrowed down to these 3 choices based on shape and shaft bends I prefer. Hope you guys who had the chance to try all three to give me some advice! Which have you rolled and which will you get?
Posted:

Comments

• JokerK3nJokerK3n Singapore 22WRX Points: 22Handicap: 3Members Posts: 22 Bunkers

For those who are struggling to make a decision, I went with Taylormade Spider X and absolutely loved it! Shaved an average of 5 strokes a game!
    I tried the Ping Sigma 2 and felt it was way too soft, causing problems in distance control.
    Let me know if you need an extensive review. Cheers!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • collindm1collindm1  173WRX Points: 80Members Posts: 173 Fairways

The new Scotty line feels fantastic, rolled them today. Never can get on the spider bandwagon as much as i want to. Ping is just too soft. Id go scotty

Posted:
  • IvyguyIvyguy  1609WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 1,609 Platinum Tees

I got to putt with the new scottys.... gotta say, I was sceptical... I am typically a blade guy...

They are sweet, super solid and dont appear large and unyielding. Good sticks.

Your really cant go wrong based on your choices, it's about what gives you confidence..

Posted:
  • JokerK3nJokerK3n Singapore 22WRX Points: 22Handicap: 3Members Posts: 22 Bunkers

I used blade all my life (15 years) because I loved the look and feel but sucked at putting all 15 years; was always the worse aspect of my game. More and more touring pros are switching to mallets so I thought, why not?
    I couldn't wait for the new Scotty line to put me out of my putting woes so I jumped on the Spider wagon. When you look at tour statistics more use Spider than SC mallets.
    The new Spider is really beautiful. Get a good fitter to look at your stroke and set-up, I bent my Spider X 2 degrees upright and it sits so squarely my friend commented on it at least 10/18 holes!

Posted:
  • bd59bd59  837WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 837 Golden Tee

I’ve had the Spider X and now the Scotty Phantom. Have not tried the Ping though. Spider to me was a big disappointment on the feel department. I loved the Spider Tour red and black but these I just couldn’t get a feel for. The Phantom surprised me as well, VERY SOLID!!

Posted:

I haven't had the chance to try the SC Phantom yet, but I'll stick to my Spider. Maybe try different weights if you still have them!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AG12AG12  1793WRX Points: 918Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,793 Platinum Tees

Tried all three.....Stuck with the Spider X Navy. Great balance, weight and feel off the clubface.

The Phantom was wayyy too busy for my eyes. and the Sigma as much as I love PING was a little too soft as others have mentioned.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60
    3W: Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70
    5W: PING G410 18* Tour 75
    4HY: Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8
    Irons: PING G410 5-UW Project X LZ 120
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 54.14F/60.10M DG S200 
    Putter: Bettinardi BB1F Blackout Limited Run
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • SuperBombinSuperBombin  222WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 222 Fairways

Tried them all ended up with the sigma 2 Tyne 4. Sam fitting showed this was the best for my stroke and put me at 98% consistency. After a couple small tweaks I was rolling 7 balls dead center of the cup.

Love the shape of the Tyne too. Simple and minimalistic and just helps me visualize a mini railroad track towards the hole.

Posted:

On -, @SuperBombin said:

Tried them all ended up with the sigma 2 Tyne 4. Sam fitting showed this was the best for my stroke and put me at 98% consistency. After a couple small tweaks I was rolling 7 balls dead center of the cup.

Love the shape of the Tyne too. Simple and minimalistic and just helps me visualize a mini railroad track towards the hole.

I really liked the Tyne for it's shape and was dead set on it until I tried the Spider X. The Sigma 2 insert is way too soft for me. I'm glad you like it! :)

Posted:
  • thesamwisethesamwise A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man  556WRX Points: 148Members Posts: 556 Golden Tee

Anyone know when Ping drops new putters? I am sitting over here trying my best not to buy anything new in the hopes that the next release will have a Vault (milled) Tyne.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.