The key was in the left arm

Patrik1982

Had an epiphany today that I have to share. Maybe somebody else is struggling like I was. Or maybe it just can serve as inspiration.

I used to play as a kid and was fairly good, think I reached hcp 3 in my early teens. Then right around 16-17 I let golf go and didn't pick up until almost 20 years later. Starting again as an adult I was very determined to reach scratch, and in that quest I must have viewed right about every swing video on Youtube, hit 3-400 balls a week and taken numerous lessons. And don't get me started about all the clubs, attires and what not I've bought.

However, all of this only took me from a bad club manipulator to a master club manipulator. At impact I had a severe chicken wing while stalling and flipping. As a master club manipulator I still managed to shoot a few over par consistently and my hcp was dropping rapidly.

Today, after having hit 150 balls or so it just struck me that maybe I should lead with my left side and left hand instead of pushing off my right. My swing thought from top of backswing was to hit a left-handed backhand. Being a hardcore righty it felt very, very strange. But after a few shots I started hitting the ball fairly solid, very straight and with a penetrating flight. Picked up my phone and shot a video, and lord... what a change! My shaft shallowed massively in transition, club face orientation was perfect throughout the swing, my left side cleared at impact and my left arm was dead straight at impact with a nicely bowed left wrist.

Sorry for the long text. Summary: for you struggling while feeling you lead with your right side - try changing it up. Swing well!

Mizuno ST-Z @7.5/LA Golf Trono 65X
Mizuno ST-Z @16/Oban Devotion 75X
Srixon U65 @20/Nippon 130s

Miura CB57 5-PW/Nippon 130S
Titleist SM7 50 & 54/Nippon 130S

Cleveland RTX4 58/Nippon 130S

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 62/Nippon 130S
LAB DF2.1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you expand on what you were feeling/ thinking? Not sure exactly what you mean by left-handed backhand, but I push off my rear side too so I’m thinking this could help, thanks!

Driver: Titleist Tsi2 - GD AD-IZ 6x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD AD-VR 7x

hybrid: Ping G425 19 - GD AD-DI Hy 95x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm9 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 36"

Ball: Titleist ProV1

I love epiphany threads

Great topic ... thx for sharing

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Can you expand on what you were feeling/ thinking? Not sure exactly what you mean by left-handed backhand, but I push off my rear side too so I’m thinking this could help, thanks!

A left-handed backhand in tennis, sorry. At some point I guess I'll have to use both sides but for now I drag with left side from the top. Give it a shot :)

LAB DF2.1

A thought like this helped me to finally realize the key to not yanking the handle. That key is patience in transition. I started feeling like I was pulling with the lead side when I started allowing time for a true change of direction at the top, similar to a freezer drill. That feel of a pause made me re-start by unwinding the lead side, as opposed to yanking the handle with my hands and getting steep.

Was out yest at the driving range. Think I figured out some more details that I wanted to share.

By feeling like I hit a topspin left-handed backhand I close the clubface. Should I do my regular stall I'd hook it off the planet, so I have no alternative than getting the lead side out of the way. For me this happened automatically. Also watched a few of Russel Heritage's videos, he's got a great way of explaining how to get the left hip clear.

I realize this is old news to most. But I could never imagine a simple close of the clubface would have such dramatic effect on the swing.

Thanks all for sharing!

LAB DF2.1

always neat when someone comes across a....fundamental ;)

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

always neat when someone comes across a....fundamental ;)

Are you saying a left side pull as opposed to a right side throw is a fundamental?

Why can't it be both?

That would be ideal I guess. Hard to have the intent to do both for me.

I didn't imagine it was possible until very recently, but it is. In my mental imagery, my lead side dominates back and through until hands/club reach the hitting area, then my trail side adds in the hit/throw instinctively.

Had an epiphany today that I have to share. Maybe somebody else is struggling like I was. Or maybe it just can serve as inspiration.

I used to play as a kid and was fairly good, think I reached hcp 3 in my early teens. Then right around 16-17 I let golf go and didn't pick up until almost 20 years later. Starting again as an adult I was very determined to reach scratch, and in that quest I must have viewed right about every swing video on Youtube, hit 3-400 balls a week and taken numerous lessons. And don't get me started about all the clubs, attires and what not I've bought.

However, all of this only took me from a bad club manipulator to a master club manipulator. At impact I had a severe chicken wing while stalling and flipping. As a master club manipulator I still managed to shoot a few over par consistently and my hcp was dropping rapidly.

Today, after having hit 150 balls or so it just struck me that maybe I should lead with my left side and left hand instead of pushing off my right. My swing thought from top of backswing was to hit a left-handed backhand. Being a hardcore righty it felt very, very strange. But after a few shots I started hitting the ball fairly solid, very straight and with a penetrating flight. Picked up my phone and shot a video, and lord... what a change! My shaft shallowed massively in transition, club face orientation was perfect throughout the swing, my left side cleared at impact and my left arm was dead straight at impact with a nicely bowed left wrist.

Sorry for the long text. Summary: for you struggling while feeling you lead with your right side - try changing it up. Swing well!

My take on it is that it needs to be somewhat balanced. What you are feeling as a left arm swing is likely more of a balanced swing because you are so used to a right arm dominated swing.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Monte teaches something similar, e.g. like a left handed tennis backhand. He told my wife and I this helps when the lower body gets too far ahead of the arms. Monte has some great instruction. I sent him videos and he takes a look.

Monte recommends left-hand frisbee throw, but the left-hand tennis backhand works, too. I'm LH playing RH. For me, this method worked great for a wedge because length was closer to an actual tennis racket, Driver OTOH... :russian_roulette:

• 2 months later...

So I've recently had a similar epiphany myself, and also thought of it as a left-handed backhand. My problem though is now hooks (if I really consciously think about the left hand turning through impact), which reading up the thread means I'm not clearing my left side enough; or alternatively blocks to the right if I ease off on that left-hand turn. Either way they are both god-sends in comparison to my old banana slice.

> @Simpsonia said:

> So I've recently had a similar epiphany myself, and also thought of it as a left-handed backhand. My problem though is now hooks (if I really consciously think about the left hand turning through impact), which reading up the thread means I'm not clearing my left side enough; or alternatively blocks to the right if I ease off on that left-hand turn. Either way they are both god-sends in comparison to my old banana slice.

This may sound odd but instead of trying to make the move just think about it or tell yourself internally what to do. That may help calm down the hooks which are probably just you trying to hard physically.

I''ve become more aware of how right side dominant I can be. A feeling is of throwing a frisbee left handed to pre-stage, pre-boost right side firing yields great results. Was at the tournament yesterday and hung by practice area quite a bit. When you see Rose do his slow motion pre-shot, what's easily seen is how much left forearm rotation he utilizes coming down. I feel that is a big key in this. I under play rotation in general because I always tended to over rotate too early in back swing which end up sucking club too inside but my guess is that free rotation from P2 to P4 is a good thing and healthy rotation back to impact is too. Back hand in tennis or a frisbee throw has lots of LH fore arm rotation involved.

The other thing I would add is being more left sided, promotes dropping and rotating away left shoulder, getting separation of that from head early on is important. Also, big common observation is tour players really turn the corner and swing left to an extent you rarely see amateurs do. Right arm perpendicular and across chest just at finish is more the rule than not.

• 3 months later...

So a late update. I tried this a long time. At the range, after getting into a groove, I sorta could get some consistency. On the course not so much.

Since a few days back I’m experimenting with another extreme. Tried a reverse overlap grip, thereby giving my dominant right side/arm a lot more freedom and power. So far fantastic results - so intuitive, so easy, so straight.

Will do some pondering before winter on how to proceed.

LAB DF2.1

Well, I'll update my blather if you don't mind. My instincts and intent now is to race trail shoulder through the ball but with crown of left wrist guiding & leading arms down swing line. This adds left wrist pronation in transition and helps get shoulder away from head and towards target, yet right side fires with better sequence while getting just enough forearm activity. The feel is right shoulder throwing even pushing left wrist through impact. Where the intent is of true help, the swing has reduced arm over run by body firing earlier transition.

> @Patrik1982 said:

> So a late update. I tried this a long time. At the range, after getting into a groove, I sorta could get some consistency. On the course not so much.

>

> Since a few days back I’m experimenting with another extreme. Tried a reverse overlap grip, thereby giving my dominant right side/arm a lot more freedom and power. So far fantastic results - so intuitive, so easy, so straight.

>

> Will do some pondering before winter on how to proceed.

I think you're on the right track. Mike Austin was one of the longest hitters if not the longest hitter who every lived. His philosophy was that the downswing was a throw, not a pull or push.

ugourcgciof5.gif

There are quite a few advocates out there that promote right side dominance on the backswing and left side on the down and through swings. Many of them believe that if you push away with the left side in the backswing or drive the right side in the downswing you compromise yourself from a balance and consistency perspective.

Monte and Mike Malaska have pointed out that trying to be too aggressive with rotation speed can do more harm than good, and that body rotation speed does not correlate with swing speed.

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter