OMG, Gary McCord is insufferable!

ProStrykerProStryker Zombie HunterMembers Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
I am going to have to put the TV on mute. I really am wanting to watch this extended coverage on TGC, but McCord cannot shut up. He prattles on endlessness, trying to act funny, and it is horrid. I mean like nails on a chalkboard bad. I’m sure he’s a nice guy in person, but tv announcer wise, this is just brutal. He seems worse than normal today, like it’s actually really irritating me.... lol. Is it just me??
Ping G400, 9* GD ADDi 6
Callaway Rogue 15*, GD ADDi 6
Ping G410 hybrid, 19*, Tour 85
Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-GW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM7 56 / 60
Taylormade Spider X
Titleist ProV1

Comments

• GolfingDad44GolfingDad44 Members Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Ummm ok????

It's probably a you problem.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 16, 2019 7:08pm #3
    Never head this before. Wonder if they'll let him call The Masters this year. Should kick him off the coverage.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely this would have come up before. He's been announcing awhile and everyone agrees he's the best.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX
    BrianMcG wrote:

Surely this would have come up before. He's been announcing awhile and everyone agrees he's the best.

LOL, nothing good ever came of living in a storage garage.
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re not alone. Very irritating after a while.

• Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree he's awful. He's like an inept professor with tenure. No one will get rid of him.
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not watch on mute? Better than being irritated by someone on TV ruining what you enjoy. I don’t mind him as long as dosage is limited.
  • leerob3leerob3 Members Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His schtick will wear you down alright!

[media=]
    Callaway GBB
    XR Pro 3 Wood
    Ping G400 3 hybrid
    Ping I200 4-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56*
    Odyssey #9 White Damascus
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Id let him be the only announcer in golf , as long as I don’t have to listen to Miller
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    He was pretty annoying yesterday.. the banter back and forth with dotty, was overboard.. I just wanted to hear what shot the player had ahead of him, conditions, concerns... not some attempt at side show commentary that takes away from the golf itself..
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,933 ClubWRX
    ProStryker wrote:

I am going to have to put the TV on mute. I really am wanting to watch this extended coverage on TGC, but McCord cannot shut up. He prattles on endlessness, trying to act funny, and it is horrid. I mean like nails on a chalkboard bad. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person, but tv announcer wise, this is just brutal. He seems worse than normal today, like it's actually really irritating me.... lol. Is it just me??

I think I dislike McCord much more than I did Miller, and that's A LOT. So you're not alone. Feherty is barely tolerable to me too. The constant forced humor is just too much more often than not. And McCord isn't even remotely funny to begin with.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 2,025 ClubWRX
    chris975d wrote:

ProStryker wrote:

I am going to have to put the TV on mute. I really am wanting to watch this extended coverage on TGC, but McCord cannot shut up. He prattles on endlessness, trying to act funny, and it is horrid. I mean like nails on a chalkboard bad. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person, but tv announcer wise, this is just brutal. He seems worse than normal today, like it's actually really irritating me.... lol. Is it just me??

I think I dislike McCord much more than I did Miller, and that's A LOT. So you're not alone. Feherty is barely tolerable to me too. The constant forced humor is just too much more often than not. And McCord isn't even remotely funny to begin with.
    this all day. Can’t stand McCord or feherty. Both are like nails on a chalkboard.
    Taylormade M5 Driver
    TaylorMade M5 Fwy
    Mizuno CLK Hyb
    PXG 0211 Irons
    Mizuno S18 Blue Ion Wedges
    PXG Bat Attack Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan, but have watched enough to be desensitized at this point. Peter Jacobson is worse, talk about unfunny. Ugh and his impersonations, and music = bogey!
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Dottie Pepper has put me on suicide watch several times.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,772 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

LOL, nothing good ever came of living in a storage garage.

I think it’s an upgraded from my tent under the bridge!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

?
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you imagine McCord coming in for an interview for an announcing job off the street.....What would be his chances of landing the job?
  • nellycuznellycuz Pured Members Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭
    ProStryker wrote:

I felt the same thing last night. Last night he was over the top, one comment after another. It got old quick, with the eagle bet with Faldo, after every shot on #10. Was really annoying. I was thinking he must be sauced up on something because he wouldn't shut up. I usually can tolerate it and sometimes enjoy his commentary but last night was wayyyyyy too much.
    '17 M2 10.5 Rogue Black Stiff
    '17 M2 16.5 HL 3W
    913hd 19* Hybrid
    714 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Scotty Cameron Newport '16
  • SheriffBoothSheriffBooth Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 4,469 mod
    I think we can all agree that everyone and everything is terrible all the time. This is GolfWRX after all.
    Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
    Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage S
    Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Cameron Futura 5.5M, 36"

I think we can all agree that everyone and everything is terrible all the time. This is GolfWRX after all.

LOL, except [insert name of the person posting, including myself, lol, our must read take!]
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,199 ClubWRX
    Sophomoric humor typically isn’t all that funny once you graduate from high school. I always thought of McCord as a “Pull my finger” type of guy.
    Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t stand him. He’s awful.
  • bucky316bucky316 Members Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McCord went downhill (fast) after CBS hired Feherty to their broadcast team.... Feherty is a comedic genuis who still makes his point with few words; DF was quality over quantity which is perfect in my book ... IMHO McCord couldn't stand being 2nd banana to DF
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,772 ClubWRX

That’s funny....and true!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d let him be DD for friends I hate
  • OBbogey5OBbogey5 Falconer Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree OP. It’s enough now. I’m still holding onto his funny line to Nantz three years ago at Pebble - chiding him to indentify “Carmel Beach” for a fortieth time, and asking him why you can’t walk cats on the beach. But Saturday at Riv...my god he was annoying on air.
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understand why people care so much about this stuff...I really dont care what they say.

I know the game, and I can see what's happening and analyze for myself. Couldn't give a rat's a** what these guys prattle on about...

Now the incessant commercials, and cutting away to Amanda doing her interviews does bother me - because we are losing coverage.

Was it me, or did there seem to be alot more golf shown during the extended coverage?...was nice
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    McCord was a trailblazer. When he first started, he was was funny and prepared. He was very good for awhile. Without McCord, Feherty probably wouldn't be on TV.

His sell by date has passed. He's 70 years old, not ancient but time to retire.

Complaints about him might be worse than actually listening to him.
    Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like McCord, especially back in the day when he'd play off Ben Wright.

His acting like a vulture on #10 yesterday, the bet with Faldo over someone making an eagle and then Phil doing him in with a brilliant putt was great.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file