OMG, Gary McCord is insufferable!

Comments

• FadeFade Members Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always surprised by these threads. I never even notice the guy (mind you, I did not watch yesterday).
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gripandrip wrote:

gripandrip wrote:

High handicappers hate Gary McCord, Johnny Miller and Lanny Watkins, not sure why. Maybe they don’t get the sarcasm or the jokes. But these guys know a lot about golf and golfers could learn from them if they would listen to them.

Agree. I’ve found that to be true too. All 3 are extremely knowledgeable on the game and it’s history , ins and outs etc.

Maybe he has plenty of knowledge, but I don’t need to listen to someone talk me through the roll of the ball on the way to the hole. Way too much.

The alternative is someone like Joe Buck or Tony romo. Neither of which know more about golf than most good ams.

How about we just watch the putt without all the “ugh” “ohh” “wah” commentary.

Mute provides that.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He used to be good
    Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • HsteadHstead Members Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tries WAY TOO HARD to be Feherty now. And he is no Feherty.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
    Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
    Titleist 818 H1
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6-P, 5 Forged, 4 Hot Metal KBS Tour X
    Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
    Edel
    Snell
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small doses he’s alright. He’s just being a little different. I try not to over think him and just go with it.
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh_Bear wrote:

Dottie Pepper has put me on suicide watch several times.

Was it a full-field suicide watch?
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like McCord. Better than a lot of other announcers. I like him better than Feherty.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always liked him ok but he does seem to try a little too hard sometime now? Still like him but see where some would not.

However, yesterday I was super frustrated when they finished up and no one asked JB how much he was going to pay his caddie! I sure would have thought that would be the burning question America and WRX's wanted answered :-)
    Taylormade M5 driver with Tensei Orange stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Taylormade P790 5i with Recoil 95 F4 shaft
    Taylormade P770 6i-AW with Recoil 95 F4 shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 with KBS
    Taylormade Spider X

First single OEM I have played and love it
  • Nick6771Nick6771 Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭
    Swap you for Mark Roe .......
    "Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor.

I’m fine w McCabe, but for me Feherty is WAY overdone at this stage. So formulaic and stopped being funny a couple years ago. Give me McCabe any day over Feherty.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Always find him annoying and "mute" is a must as is "fast forward", but I also found Jim Nance almost as annoying.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like McCord for his enthusiasm, and his refusal to treat a round of golf as a life-and-death ordeal. Yes, he's almost a parody of himself at this stage, but he's having fun. I do think it got old on Saturday, but everything got old on Saturday, they were all tired, and it showed.
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 18, 2019 8:51am #74

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

I'm fine w McCabe, but for me Feherty is WAY overdone at this stage. So formulaic and stopped being funny a couple years ago. Give me McCabe any day over Feherty.

What network does McCabe work for?
  • USAF Retired E7USAF Retired E7 Finnish American Members Posts: 305 ✭✭

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

I'm fine w McCabe, but for me Feherty is WAY overdone at this stage. So formulaic and stopped being funny a couple years ago. Give me McCabe any day over Feherty.

I agree, I'd take Chantel McCabe over Feherty, any day image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    M2 Driver, 16 Degree and 19 degree
    PXG 0311 4-Pw
    Vokey 50 and 56
    Odyssey O Works #7, red
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 18, 2019 9:08am #76
    Gary has stepped his terrible "I'm the smartest guy on the telecast " humor to a new level. It's bad when the on course commentators are so

hungry for attention they take away from the product.
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on this thread, most of you just want "bland, vanilla" announcers.

McCord's whole persona began because HE was the joke. A tour pro/Monday qualifier who never won a tournament. I thought he was pretty entertaining for most of his career.

Part of the problem, as a hole announcer, he sometimes has a lot of time to fill. He's better in short spurts, so that's the producers fault.
    Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • Hogan9Hogan9 Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I tend to agree with those that think he over does it at times. Years ago he was refreshing and funny, but now he tries too hard. I still find him entertaining at times, but he needs to tone it down. I think back to his days of bantering with Ben Wright. That was fun because it didn't dominate the telecast and Ben was the perfect foil. A distinguished British announcer versus a goofy, weird former PGA Tour player.
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with McCord, or any announcer in sports.

Brightens up the telecasts. If your that sensitive, turn it to mute or find

Something else to do. McCord and others like him, will be around till

They decide to quit, these kind of threads make me laugh, I did not think

Golf Wrxer's were that jealous of McCord's job and others in that field.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProStryker wrote:

I am going to have to put the TV on mute. I really am wanting to watch this extended coverage on TGC, but McCord cannot shut up. He prattles on endlessness, trying to act funny, and it is horrid. I mean like nails on a chalkboard bad. I’m sure he’s a nice guy in person, but tv announcer wise, this is just brutal. He seems worse than normal today, like it’s actually really irritating me.... lol. Is it just me??

if McCord went away tomorrow, his replacement is already in the wings. Colt Knost got a chance to announce during parts of the GENESIS OPEN and he talks MORE han McCord. he prattles on endlessly and contributes nothing.
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭

There is nothing wrong with McCord, or any announcer in sports.

Brightens up the telecasts. If your that sensitive, turn it to mute or find

Something else to do. McCord and others like him, will be around till

They decide to quit, these kind of threads make me laugh, I did not think

Golf Wrxer's were that jealous of McCord's job and others in that field.
    I don't think many are at all jealous.. Side banter is acceptable, but it should not dominate the game itself. McCord and Dottie, were talking through the players shots as if they weren't even on the course. I can only speak for myself and I could very well be a minority, but I truly believe that golf fans are tuning in to watch the competitors hit shots, manage the course and not necessarily for the talk show banter that was taking place.

The inside reporting will be replaced by technology. Automated and GPS locked drones with audio and visual capabilities will be placed strategically around the course. Utilizing an app based delivery model, the PGATour will be able to provide instant viewing gratification for future "telecast/webcasts".

#thisistheend
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to mute most of the golf and tennis announcers. IF you think golf is bad..try tennis..there is a particular European Lady who wants to describe everything...all the time..non-stop. Thanks for the mute button..whoever invented it.
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • HoosierMizunoHoosierMizuno Members Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually give little thought to the announcers. some are better than others. but when it comes to McCord, there is not a worse announcer in sports. i've been muting the telecast and playing music in background lately. i get everyone has their opinions on announcers. some love Miller, some dislike him. i get that. but i can't fathom why anyone enjoys McCord and i can't understand how producers think he brings value to telecast
    Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
    TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Kostis is the only person that didn't catch the wrath (yet) in this thread - I found McCord super-annoying yesterday, but I also got the nbc sports gold thing to watch early-round coverage, give me that all day every day. I'm sure its because they only follow two groups, but they basically showed every shot for each person, with the camera behind the player. I found it informative to see how Tiger would set up angles, how a lot of the iron shots were being flighted low, etc. It would be great if CBS/NBC would do alternative streams of that coverage.
  • zebra2955zebra2955 Members Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ladies and Gents think it is easy to fill in time waiting for J B Holmes to take a shot

Can only find so much to talk about before thinking of blowing your brains out
    Cobra F7

Callaway Epic

Cobra F6 fairway woods

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

What ever ball Costco has LOL
  • soap1984soap1984 Members Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faherty is way worse than McCord. If you are naturally funny then it's ok to throw a joke in once in a while but with faherty it's like he's trying to prove he's funny. As though he is a comedian they hired to announce golf... Which is not the case.
    Epic Flash - Diamana BF 
    Ping G - 17 Hybrid
    Ping G410 - 19 Hybrid
    Titleist TMB 4 Iron, AP2 5-PW (modus 105)
    Vokey SM7 50, 56, 62
    Spider x
  • Darth_BladerDarth_Blader Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's no Joe Buck that's for sure!!
    Cobra F9 9* Aldila 125msi
    TM M3 3HL
    Vsteel 5w 7W06
    Vsteel 7w Rogue 80
    Ping S55 4-PW DG TI X100
    Adams CMB GW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 56* DG S400
    Scratch 8620 TI 60 DG S400
    Odyssey LE PT10 KBS CT Shaft

• Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys must be a lot of fun at parties.
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 75 6.0
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 F4
    Callaway Apex Pro (19’) 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.12D KBS Tour FLT 120 S
    Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Gary, he is a bit of an odd ball at times but non-conventional has it's place.

Like in the earlier years, he had lived in a converted shipping container, odd but practical. I remembered back in the days that was the solution for a living space , cheap ( $2,000 to start the set up with the container ) put it on your property or a designated mobile home park, then you'll have a studio space to call home. I had considered the same idea when I was single .
  • bigchucksrbigchucksr Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Let's see, do I dislike Dottie Pepper's sneering, "I'm just one of the boys!" routine more than McCord's inane babble? Hard choice! However McCord has made me really, really appreciate the Board of Directors for Augusta who had the foresight to ban McCord for life and thus saved their golf course from being seriously stunk up once a year.
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Dave, they were on air for an awfully long time. For viewing, this was the worst non-pro-am tournament I've ever seen, no ones fault, but awful to watch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file