Good full golf workout split/routine

mjedwards409

I've been lifting regularly for most of my life. Even when I played D2 college golf we all just kind of hit the weight room and benched, squatted, deadlifted, etc. At 32 whatever "natural flexibility" I have is slowly fading away. I still lift 3-4 days per week and try to center everything around the big lifts like bench, squat, DL, military press, etc. I do a few half-assed ab exercises at the end of a few workouts and call that my core work. I admittedly do nothing for mobility besides yoga MAYBE once every two weeks and a brief 5-10 minute stretch period after workouts.

I'd really like to transition to a golf specific routine. I can find load of specific exercises for strength, flexibility, etc. but haven' been able to find a full multi week/month routine that says what to do on each day, which combinations of strength/mobility/flexibility each workout, etc. Anyone have a good link or resource with a full golf workout program? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're living pretty often. I can't imagine lifting hard with that schedule and maintaining a good swing (maybe if you're not going to failure regularly). My background is much lifting. I gained some good info from the Drive 400 program and suggest it to you. While my routine was a lot like yours I now start every gym session with about 20 minutes of core work, followed by medicine ball explosive work (if that area of the gym isn't crowded). Then it's off to the deadlifts, squats, etc. The beach muscles don't apply to golf, really... :stop:

Sounds like you're living pretty often. I can't imagine lifting hard with that schedule and maintaining a good swing (maybe if you're not going to failure regularly). My background is much lifting. I gained some good info from the Drive 400 program and suggest it to you. While my routine was a lot like yours I now start every gym session with about 20 minutes of core work, followed by medicine ball explosive work (if that area of the gym isn't crowded). Then it's off to the deadlifts, squats, etc. The beach muscles don't apply to golf, really... :stop:

Thanks BPH! I went ahead and purchased Drive 400. Read a bunch or reviews both from GolfWRX and Reddit and they were overwhelmingly positive. Worth the shot for $25! Thanks again!

Thanks BPH! I went ahead and purchased Drive 400. Read a bunch or reviews both from GolfWRX and Reddit and they were overwhelmingly positive. Worth the shot for $25! Thanks again!

Looks interesting. I'm curious to hear your thoughts once you've had a week or so to get the program going. As someone who's just getting into the gym regularly and starting from scratch lifting, a good guide to achieve some distance/strength goals would be excellent.

Looking forward to what you have to say.

I worked with a TPI certified PT and Strenght Coach. It was a great experience and focused around areas that needed increased flexibility and areas that needed increased stability. The one thing I didn't like about it is that it seems to focus on X factor type stuff, and I'm not sure if that is intentional but the physical screen was very useful. I came away with a strength plan and mobility plan. A lot of the work was rotational on the cable pull machine and the strength progressed through to more explosive type moves. I'm a novice when it comes to strength training though. I'm currently trying to get stronger so working on a 4 day upper / lower split and struggling to find a place for my mobility exercises as well.

Maybe I am alone on this but lifting can slow you down if your not swinging a club. If you start a program make sure you continue to swing a club, and swing a club fast .

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Maybe I am alone on this but lifting can slow you down if your not swinging a club. If you start a program make sure you continue to swing a club, and swing a club fast .

Swinging a club regularly is a fine idea, but getting stronger (especially via a focus on the big compound lifts) won't hurt your swing until you add enough mass for it to make a difference. The average person can probably lift as hard as they can for years without that being an issue.

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

I like to program my workouts on a push/pull split. M,W,F are my pull days as you should get your pull to push ratio of at least 2:1. Usual warmup is swiss ball leg curls with some ab rollouts and straight arm pulldowns. Then jump into some variation of deadlift (single leg, RDL, rack pulls). I'll do maybe 2-3 hinge focused lifts, kettle bell swings are also great for hinge explosiveness. Most of my upper body pulls are on a cable machine or in some way forcing some anti-rotation. Single arm low cable pulls while standing are great. Face pulls are a must for scapular mobility and strength. Chin-ups. Heavy bent-over barbell rows are nice to mix in for some pure pulling strength. Back extensions/supermans are really good. I'll end every pull day with single arm farmer carries.

Push days i mix in a bit more ab work, but it's mostly legs and overhead presses. Squats, 1 arm Bulgarian split squats, squat jumps, hip abductor and adductor. 1 arm overhead farmer carry. dumbell/barbell overhead press, dumbell bench, overhead squats, tricep extensions. Cable chops form various heights, russian twists, seated barbell twists.

One thing i want to stress is that work on some unbalanced type work: farmer carries, overhead 1 arm carries, 1 arm cable rows, 1 arm bulgarian split squats. All really great stuff. Glutes are worked everyday. Largest most powerful muscle responsible for creating power and speed. Don't forget to stretch the hips and rotate them AFTER your workout. NOT BEFORE. Stretching before any dynamic exercise or swing a club will lower your speed/power output (a stretched rubber-band does not contract like an un-stretched one).

I've also started focusing on my grip strength as you forearms/hands have to transfer all that energy to the club.

PS: sorry if that's long and wordy.

• 1 year later...

I totally disagree. You need to be strong to hit hard. No way around that. To be fast, you need to practice swinging, well, fast. Kyle Berkshire has a Youtube video and. he clearly stated: do some squats, DL, and benching for power but also hit 20-30 balls 2-3 times a week with fast swing speed and don't worry about direction. The idea here is, you want your body to adapt to the fast swing and over time, it will be become more efficient.

Just like running, a sprinter can't get fast running slow!