The 2025 Challenge

matchavez

Hello all,

I thought I'd make you think a little more than we normally do. Here's the game:

You must select, by December 31, 2019, the clubs you will use for 5 years. You will be in golf bliss for 5 years in a tropical paradise, but they have no way of getting you new sticks. You may not replace the equipment until Jan 1, 2025. Some assumptions:

- You basically have an unlimited budget, and you can make your purchases on anything, including equipment that will be out this year.

- You can have up to 17 clubs (+1 below).

- Don't worry about golf balls, as the Tropical Paradise provides all you need.

- BONUS POINT: While we believe we can replace for fix anything that breaks, what's the one club you would buy two of, because GolfWRX?

- Edit - You are exempt from any groove rules until this is over (2024).

- Edit - You can get a 1-for-1 replacement of anything that breaks, but that takes 30 days via boat (see the +1). Bending ok. Groove wear is not a "brake".

Lock it in... what would you do?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I could do a full bag of PRGR with the exception of the irons having a shaft change to Modus 120S.

2 of? Probably my PRGR nabla RS 5 wood 18°. It just works for me. I haven't picked up a PRGR club that hasnt worked well for me that's exquisite on my best days, and exquisite on my worst days. Good stuff.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

5 sets in a year? I’m in!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

This maybe cheating, but I’m taking my current (irons are on order) short set.

2017 M1 440 driver

M4 18 degree hybrid

National Custom Works 24, 32, 40, 48 degree irons

National Custom Works 56 degree wedge

Just one putter...hmmm...probably one of my Byron Morgan DH89s

Since that’s 8 clubs, I’ll take two sets and then add a 3rd wedge because I’ll be wearing through those grooves.

There should be an actual prize for this.

And the prize is you are banned from the site because you aren’t a real WRXer anymore (kidding)

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

1. Driver: 2016 M2 (I want to see what the hype is about)

2. 3 wood: old aeroburner maybe, but the razr I have works ok, as does the adams tightlies. One of those three, I could live with it.

3-11 Irons: Hogan Apex ’99 blades, 2-E. (Current gamers) Since budget is unlimited I would buy them as close to mint as possible, or have refinished.

12-14 Wedges: I recently bought some Macgregor VIP black forged wedges that I love. So those. 52-56-60.

15- My current putter isn’t going anywhere.

16- Hybrid: big bertha diablo 2hi 18°. Thing’s a rocket launcher from God.

17. 2014 Big Bertha alpha: If that M2 hype isn’t all that, I’ll have something that I know works.

The bonus replacement club would probably be the hybrid. I rarely hit par 5’s in two, but with that club I have a chance.

That’s where I am, and to be honest I wouldnt be too surprised if my bag does wind up looking like that for a good chunk of the next few years. (Irons and wedges, anyway)

Since I am happy with what I have now. I will take my current set up, with duplicate 52 and 58 wedges, maybe throw in a 2 driving iron like a gapr. For my +1, I will grab another G400 max. Tropical paradise or not, there is a good chance my driver goes for a swim at least once over 5 years.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

Not gonna happen. After raising kids and putting them through school. After using hand me downs and cheap clubs for years. It’s time for dad to get shiney new toys when he gets the itch.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

The same wedges for 5 years while playing in a tropical paradise? Are you mad? Those things wouldn't last a year.

With that said I could probably keep my current irons and upcoming driver in my bag for a while. Do shaft upgrades count?

But my putter is like a revolving door.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

This is actually a very good way to think about clubs because you'll need something versatile enough to get through various situations, minor swing changes, body/strength changes etc. You'd want to play it safe without being too careful, an approach which might otherwise be the best way to choose your club commitment.

I'd definitely stick with my 919s and mizuno st180s but I'd change shafts from Hzrdus to something with more spin.

Do we get loft and lie adjustments for our irons/wedges, for those choosing a softer set that will more easily get knocked out of alignment?

If that's a yes.... my irons will be one of my sets of Golden Ram Tour Grinds, 1-PW, with a Ram TG-898 56* and a Maltby M Series 60* that I've grown fond of. I'll likely also carry a Ram Feel Matched 858, for those times I wish to have a 58* wedge in play instead of the 56 and/or 60. Toss in a Maxfli Revolution black dot 1 iron I've gotten fond of, for alternative usage with the Golden Ram 1 iron.

If no loft and lie adjustments allowed... irons will be special order Ping Eye2+, 2-PW, clubheads tweaked so as to not have negative bounce in the long irons as the Eye2 do. Wedges, ISI-S SW, SW2, SW3, and LW. Mix and match!

Iron shafts in either case will be either RIP Tour 115 or Fuji Pro 115 Tour Spec, or maybe something like Ping ZZ65 Cushin, or even the ZZLite with Cushin inserts. Because my elbows aren't getting any younger, and 5 years of golf. :pimp:

Driver and 3w will be King LTD, set to 43.5" and 42" playing lengths. Since all costs are off, let's go with Fuji Motore Speeder 8.2 and 9.2 TS shafts, with flex set to properly fit my aging self.

Putter will be whoever can give me something that has the head shape of the Cleveland Huntington Beach 2, with a hosel like the Designed By (or 8802, if you prefer) changed my mind, I'll just go with a brand new, Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, black shaft, black Pure Grip standard size, 34.5".

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Do we get loft and lie adjustments for our irons/wedges, for those choosing a softer set that will more easily get knocked out of alignment?

If that's a yes.... my irons will be one of my sets of Golden Ram Tour Grinds, 1-PW, with a Ram TG-898 56* and a Maltby M Series 60* that I've grown fond of. I'll likely also carry a Ram Feel Matched 858, for those times I wish to have a 58* wedge in play instead of the 56 and/or 60. Toss in a Maxfli Revolution black dot 1 iron I've gotten fond of, for alternative usage with the Golden Ram 1 iron.

If no loft and lie adjustments allowed... irons will be special order Ping Eye2+, 2-PW, clubheads tweaked so as to not have negative bounce in the long irons as the Eye2 do. Wedges, ISI-S SW, SW2, SW3, and LW. Mix and match!

Iron shafts in either case will be either RIP Tour 115 or Fuji Pro 115 Tour Spec, or maybe something like Ping ZZ65 Cushin, or even the ZZLite with Cushin inserts. Because my elbows aren't getting any younger, and 5 years of golf. :pimp:

Driver and 3w will be King LTD, set to 43.5" and 42" playing lengths. Since all costs are off, let's go with Fuji Motore Speeder 8.2 and 9.2 TS shafts, with flex set to properly fit my aging self.

Putter will be whoever can give me something that has the head shape of the Cleveland Huntington Beach 2, with a hosel like the Designed By (or 8802, if you prefer) changed my mind, I'll just go with a brand new, Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, black shaft, black Pure Grip standard size, 34.5".

Bending can happen. It's getting you new clubs you can't do. No "new" equipment, including shafts. Broken can be replaced by special order of the Prime Minister. ;)

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

The same wedges for 5 years while playing in a tropical paradise? Are you mad? Those things wouldn't last a year.

With that said I could probably keep my current irons and upcoming driver in my bag for a while. Do shaft upgrades count?

But my putter is like a revolving door.

You can get a 1-for-1 replacement of anything that breaks. Worn grooves might decide some things. OTOH, the last pro I caddied for had a dimple on his wedge that might have looked like a ball-peen hammer hit it squarely 3 times where the ball was, and wouldn't change it. Different strokes...

To me this is hard, i replace my wedges every year. If we had an exemption for something like that i would try it.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3