Have you ever had the feeling....

2»

Comments

  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    14s don’t shoot even par, even for just 9 holes.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - Project X Evenflow T1100 White 6.5
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Callaway Alpha 815 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 4-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Posts: 99
    edited Feb 23, 2019 2:42pm #33


    Anxious to hear the outcome. Probably lit it up and waxed the guy. Funny how sometimes when you go in feeling poorly and with no expectations how well you play.




    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Choked it down. Fall down drunk by third hole. Got waxed on front nine. My drunken stupor caught fire birding 10, 11 13 and 14. One up one to go. Sudden death, three jacked outta here. The killer for me was losing the first hole in both regulation and sudden death without giving a shot. It was fun and a very nice guy to lose to. His caddy tells me I'm best guy up there but giving shots.....you know how that goes. I was one over for 18 then choked it out. good times.



    I literally was looking at three balls on the 16th tee. Complete clown show. I need to get my act together for the club champ in two weeks. Stay tuned.
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Posts: 99
    edited Feb 25, 2019 7:36am #34
    To be completely honest the guy had me completely out of my comfort zone early and had me hitting drivers where I wouldn't usually hit drivers and it came through for me. I've considering consulting helen keller for putting lessons before my next tourney.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,891 ✭✭

    augustgolf wrote:


    Or do as I posted in another thread....



    **** in his backswing on the first hole. If it works out for you, repeat on every tee shot until he threatens to beat you physically with his wedge.




    August, you’re not a spring chicken anymore, I would be worried about having to **** 18 times!






    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:4765536]
    Pings from the beginning

    OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,618 ClubWRX
    augustgolf wrote:


    augustgolf wrote:


    Or do as I posted in another thread....



    **** in his backswing on the first hole. If it works out for you, repeat on every tee shot until he threatens to beat you physically with his wedge.




    August, you’re not a spring chicken anymore, I would be worried about having to **** 18 times!





    Oh my! Well done!!������������. Good for a morning laugh.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,314 ✭✭
    Pooh_Bear wrote:



    Anxious to hear the outcome. Probably lit it up and waxed the guy. Funny how sometimes when you go in feeling poorly and with no expectations how well you play.




    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Choked it down. Fall down drunk by third hole. Got waxed on front nine. My drunken stupor caught fire birding 10, 11 13 and 14. One up one to go. Sudden death, three jacked outta here. The killer for me was losing the first hole in both regulation and sudden death without giving a shot. It was fun and a very nice guy to lose to. His caddy tells me I'm best guy up there but giving shots.....you know how that goes. I was one over for 18 then choked it out. good times.



    I literally was looking at three balls on the 16th tee. Complete clown show. I need to get my act together for the club champ in two weeks. Stay tuned.




    I really don't know what to make of this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,



    So WAS the guy a 14 ? You're a 3. You should have some idea whether the guy was playing over his head or should he be image/mug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mug:' /> ?



    And you're a 3, spray it all over the lot, & putt like Helen Keller ? So you hit irons like Justin Thomas ? image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • nsxguy wrote:

    Pooh_Bear wrote:



    Anxious to hear the outcome. Probably lit it up and waxed the guy. Funny how sometimes when you go in feeling poorly and with no expectations how well you play.




    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Choked it down. Fall down drunk by third hole. Got waxed on front nine. My drunken stupor caught fire birding 10, 11 13 and 14. One up one to go. Sudden death, three jacked outta here. The killer for me was losing the first hole in both regulation and sudden death without giving a shot. It was fun and a very nice guy to lose to. His caddy tells me I'm best guy up there but giving shots.....you know how that goes. I was one over for 18 then choked it out. good times.



    I literally was looking at three balls on the 16th tee. Complete clown show. I need to get my act together for the club champ in two weeks. Stay tuned.




    I really don't know what to make of this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,



    So WAS the guy a 14 ? You're a 3. You should have some idea whether the guy was playing over his head or should he be image/mug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mug:' /> ?



    And you're a 3, spray it all over the lot, & putt like Helen Keller ? So you hit irons like Justin Thomas ? image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />




    He was around 10 or 11 over for the match and I was 1 or 2. But it's match play so hard to get an accurate gauge. Do I think the guy is a bagger? I do not. But he played well for sure and I started terribly by bogeying 5 of first 8 holes but I also had 5 or 6 birdies in the match. My putting has always been the weakest part of my game. When I say I'm putting like hellen keller I'm not yipping one footers but I'm good for 2-3 three jacks a round and I miss more birdie putts inside ten feet than I should hence the self deprecation.



    My 3 cap is pretty accurate. Every score in my GHIN is individual tourney score.



    Match play is tough when you're giving full shots I don't care what the handicaps are. Don't get me wrong I love match play and I'm not complaining. The guy beat me fair and square. I completely blew a match I should have won by making bogey on first playoff hole. I hope he goes on to win the tourney. I had a lot of fun with him. In retrospect I may have had a couple too many drinks out there.
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Posts: 99
    edited Feb 25, 2019 7:38am #39
    It seems you're questioning the accuracy of my handicap. Am I reading that correctly?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,341 ✭✭
    I am sorry you lost but happy you made it a match after bad start. Glad you had fun, when you contact helen put a word in for me.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

    I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,314 ✭✭
    Pooh_Bear wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Pooh_Bear wrote:



    Anxious to hear the outcome. Probably lit it up and waxed the guy. Funny how sometimes when you go in feeling poorly and with no expectations how well you play.




    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Choked it down. Fall down drunk by third hole. Got waxed on front nine. My drunken stupor caught fire birding 10, 11 13 and 14. One up one to go. Sudden death, three jacked outta here. The killer for me was losing the first hole in both regulation and sudden death without giving a shot. It was fun and a very nice guy to lose to. His caddy tells me I'm best guy up there but giving shots.....you know how that goes. I was one over for 18 then choked it out. good times.



    I literally was looking at three balls on the 16th tee. Complete clown show. I need to get my act together for the club champ in two weeks. Stay tuned.




    I really don't know what to make of this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,



    So WAS the guy a 14 ? You're a 3. You should have some idea whether the guy was playing over his head or should he be image/mug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mug:' /> ?



    And you're a 3, spray it all over the lot, & putt like Helen Keller ? So you hit irons like Justin Thomas ? image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />




    He was around 10 or 11 over for the match and I was 1 or 2. But it's match play so hard to get an accurate gauge. Do I think the guy is a bagger? I do not. But he played well for sure and I started terribly by bogeying 5 of first 8 holes but I also had 5 or 6 birdies in the match. My putting has always been the weakest part of my game. When I say I'm putting like hellen keller I'm not yipping one footers but I'm good for 2-3 three jacks a round and I miss more birdie putts inside ten feet than I should hence the self deprecation.



    My 3 cap is pretty accurate. Every score in my GHIN is individual tourney score.



    Match play is tough when you're giving full shots I don't care what the handicaps are. Don't get me wrong I love match play and I'm not complaining. The guy beat me fair and square. I completely blew a match I should have won by making bogey on first playoff hole. I hope he goes on to win the tourney. I had a lot of fun with him. In retrospect I may have had a couple too many drinks out there.




    I'm simply asking your opinion but since you say he's not a bagger I guess you've given it.



    IMO the better a player is the more likely he can judge whether a higher handicapper's index is "about right" simply because he's generally played a lot more and against a lot more other players. You get a feel for whether a handicap is accurate close/reasonable.



    i.e. if a 14 comes out and makes 4 birdies on the front 9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />



    Now that's a pretty extreme example but you played 36 holes with the guy. IMO that is enough for you to see all parts of his game and decide for yourself whether his 14 is "about right". image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    As for yourself, no, of course not. I don't think I've ever seen a low single digit "bagger". image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(cool)' />

    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,625 ✭✭
    sounds like no hangover or boozing during match and an easy win is the result .. not lecturing fwiw
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    Out of curiosity what was the rating & slope of the tee box each of you played and what is his index?
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 2,924 ✭✭
    He's 75 years old? Goodness man. Maybe he'll take too much Viagra and not be able to swing the day of the match.



    No offense, 75 is not thaaaat old. But I wouldn't really be upset losing to him. Let him have his parade.
  • Thanks for all the posts guys. This is going to sound like the dumbest thing ever but I'm almost glad I lost the thing. Forget the embarrassment of losing to a 14 handicap older guy who hits the ball 100 yards shorter than me on a non stroke hole in sudden death that I three jacked from 20 feet and he made an up and down from behind the green like he was on tour. Forget all that for a moment and realize that, as a small business owner, it's very difficult to take and both practice and play these matches this time of year for me since this is my crazy time for work. Summer is a non issue. This time of year is tough. Don't get me wrong, if I won I would have gladly made time for the next match but since I didn't it's all good. The next match is another 15 capper any way.



    As most of you guys know, especially those who have played matches against higher handicappers, it's very much easier for a mid to higher handicap to both play a lot better or a lot worse than their stated cap. Like the other poster said, if he went and birdied 3 holes on the front or something then maybe we'd have a problem. He gave me what I expected except he started really good. Like really good. Knocked it five feet for birdie on 1 while I butchered it for a bogey. Then he popped it 20 feet on the difficult second while I made another bogey. He misses a six footer for par on three then makes routine two putt pars on next two holes both for wins while only getting one stroke. To that point he was 1 over and I was 3 over gross.



    Then he started making bogeys like a 14 cap would and I went birdie bogey bogey birdie birdie birdie par birdie birdie so I went nuts on him in the middle of the round and he still took me down. So kudos for not completely falling a part down the stretch.
  • cardoustie wrote:


    sounds like no hangover or boozing during match and an easy win is the result .. not lecturing fwiw




    I play better when I'm boozed. To your point though one less beer and I think maybe I finish it off. Was legit having issues standing up last four holes.
  • nsxguy wrote:

    Pooh_Bear wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Pooh_Bear wrote:



    Anxious to hear the outcome. Probably lit it up and waxed the guy. Funny how sometimes when you go in feeling poorly and with no expectations how well you play.




    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Choked it down. Fall down drunk by third hole. Got waxed on front nine. My drunken stupor caught fire birding 10, 11 13 and 14. One up one to go. Sudden death, three jacked outta here. The killer for me was losing the first hole in both regulation and sudden death without giving a shot. It was fun and a very nice guy to lose to. His caddy tells me I'm best guy up there but giving shots.....you know how that goes. I was one over for 18 then choked it out. good times.



    I literally was looking at three balls on the 16th tee. Complete clown show. I need to get my act together for the club champ in two weeks. Stay tuned.




    I really don't know what to make of this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,



    So WAS the guy a 14 ? You're a 3. You should have some idea whether the guy was playing over his head or should he be image/mug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mug:' /> ?



    And you're a 3, spray it all over the lot, & putt like Helen Keller ? So you hit irons like Justin Thomas ? image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> image/wacko.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />




    He was around 10 or 11 over for the match and I was 1 or 2. But it's match play so hard to get an accurate gauge. Do I think the guy is a bagger? I do not. But he played well for sure and I started terribly by bogeying 5 of first 8 holes but I also had 5 or 6 birdies in the match. My putting has always been the weakest part of my game. When I say I'm putting like hellen keller I'm not yipping one footers but I'm good for 2-3 three jacks a round and I miss more birdie putts inside ten feet than I should hence the self deprecation.



    My 3 cap is pretty accurate. Every score in my GHIN is individual tourney score.



    Match play is tough when you're giving full shots I don't care what the handicaps are. Don't get me wrong I love match play and I'm not complaining. The guy beat me fair and square. I completely blew a match I should have won by making bogey on first playoff hole. I hope he goes on to win the tourney. I had a lot of fun with him. In retrospect I may have had a couple too many drinks out there.




    I'm simply asking your opinion but since you say he's not a bagger I guess you've given it.



    IMO the better a player is the more likely he can judge whether a higher handicapper's index is "about right" simply because he's generally played a lot more and against a lot more other players. You get a feel for whether a handicap is accurate close/reasonable.



    i.e. if a 14 comes out and makes 4 birdies on the front 9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />



    Now that's a pretty extreme example but you played 36 holes with the guy. IMO that is enough for you to see all parts of his game and decide for yourself whether his 14 is "about right". image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    As for yourself, no, of course not. I don't think I've ever seen a low single digit "bagger". image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(cool)' />




    It's all good. From reading your first post I was under the impression you were accusing me of being a vanity cap which, as you know, is probably the most offensive thing you can say to a lower handicap player. I was just curious. Obviously I'm not sandbagger as a three. That's almost impossible.
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Posts: 99
    edited Feb 25, 2019 5:44pm #48


    Out of curiosity what was the rating & slope of the tee box each of you played and what is his index?




    Mine was right at 72 mid 120's slope. His was around 71 123 slope I believe. I'm not sure his current index since they take the ghin from when the tourney started. I believe his is a little lower now. When I looked he was 18 back last summer so he's been doing well to get it lower. 12.8 maybe right now but don't quote me on that. I'm 3.0



    This is a course where if I played the 7400 tees I'm probably scratch because course rating is almost 76 with a low slope since it's a fairly player friendly layout. There's a lot of water however there is almost space out there. If I played the 7000 yard set of tees at just under 74 rating I'm easily scratch. The further I move up the less advantage I have because with my length I'm forced to hit more driving irons from the 6500 tees because driving brings in the trouble whereas at 7400 I can smash it all day. I think we have 8 par fours over 440 and four over 470 from the tips. That's more in my wheel house. The par three's are tough from the tips so I'd be giving up a lot from there....240 all over water...stuff like that.



    Let's put it this way, they have mini tour play there quite often from tips and someone always shoots 65. If the PGA tour played an event there the winner would be in the minus 30's I'd guess.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,449 ✭✭
    Pooh_Bear wrote:


    It seems you're questioning the accuracy of my handicap. Am I reading that correctly?




    I question your HC............ and I also question the mysterious chemical Bruce Willis sprayed on the door handle of of the blue minivan in the movie, "The Jackal."
  • msh134msh134 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Pooh_Bear wrote:
    that you're basically cattle being led to a slaughter in a match? Club match play event, full handicap, and I'm going up against a 14 who shot even gross in his first match and closed the guy out after nine holes. Was nine up and the guy didn't bother going down ten since he was giving a shot. I've seen his scores on GHIN and I've been told he's had his career round but sometimes you just have a feeling. He's getting 11 blows from me this coming weekend. Wish me luck lol.
    played in a few Ryder Cup matches where I was the sacrificial lamb
  • I just looked on the website and the guy just got beat in the next round so I can't even say I got beat by the eventual champion. I got beat by a loser just like myself.
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.