Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

1457910
10

Comments

  • act0fgodact0fgod Members  184WRX Points: 65Posts: 184 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Aug 24, 2019 #182

    On -, @Johnny Biarritz said: Is the "cart fee" mandatory or could a person choose to walk and get a straight comp fee? I haven't had chance to use the travel portion of my membership yet.

    >

    If a course will let me walk I regularly walk. Pretty much every single clubcorp owned course knows to charge me the fee even when walking. If I'm playing 36 I don't usually get charged on the second round though.

    The affiliate courses are the places where they don't always charge the cart fee when walking. I'd guess it's probably because the kid working the counter doesn't know the rules.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • act0fgodact0fgod Members  184WRX Points: 65Posts: 184 Fairways
    Joined:  #183

    On -, @Johnny Biarritz said:

    I don't remember how or where I saw it, but I knew before I joined that Firestone South wasn't included. That said, I just looked around and it's not really apparent that the course isn't included.

    Also, how does the fee structure work when traveling to other courses? Is the "cart fee" mandatory or could a person choose to walk and get a straight comp fee? I haven't had chance to use the travel portion of my membership yet.

    I often walk. Almost every clubcorp course has charged me the fee when walking. TPC Michigan is the only one that didn't (I also figure it's cause the girl at the counter didn't know she was supposed to).
    If playing 36 I don't usually get charged on the second round.

    The affiliate clubs are the places where they aren't consistent with charging me if I'm walking. I'd guess it's because the kid in the shop doesn't know they are supposed to.

    Posted:
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX  710WRX Points: 115Handicap: +1Posts: 710 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #184

    For Boston, Ipswich or The Ridge Club?

    Posted:
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX  710WRX Points: 115Handicap: +1Posts: 710 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #185

    Ended up at The Ridge Club. It was a good experience. The first 6 holes are super interesting and unique then it kind of blends into your regular golf course. Pictures from the first few holes including the par-5 3rd hole with the cool tree




    Posted:
  • ScottJNScottJN Members  66WRX Points: 48Posts: 66 Bunkers
    Joined:  #186

    On -, @CStephenson17 said:

    Ended up at The Ridge Club. It was a good experience. The first 6 holes are super interesting and unique then it kind of blends into your regular golf course. Pictures from the first few holes including the par-5 3rd hole with the cool tree




    In sandwich?

    Posted:
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  189WRX Points: 106Handicap: 6.4Posts: 189 Fairways
    Joined:  #187

    Playing the Traditions Club at A&M today. You can get on there during football season when the Aggies don't have a home game. We'll be playing when A&M-Clemson is on TV, so I suspect we'll have the course to ourselves.

    This year, the DMN rates the course #40 in Texas. Last year, they were ranked Top 30. I have played it once, and loved it. If you hit it sideways, you can get into trouble with lots of lateral and regular water hazards. But the fairways are extremely wide.

    I'll report back on the condition.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TXMembers  598WRX Points: 87Handicap: 8Posts: 598 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #188

    On -, @CougarRed said:

    Playing the Traditions Club at A&M today. You can get on there during football season when the Aggies don't have a home game. We'll be playing when A&M-Clemson is on TV, so I suspect we'll have the course to ourselves.

    This year, the DMN rates the course #40 in Texas. Last year, they were ranked Top 30. I have played it once, and loved it. If you hit it sideways, you can get into trouble with lots of lateral and regular water hazards. But the fairways are extremely wide.

    I'll report back on the condition.

    Won’t have it yourself completely, a buddy and me will be out there as well!

    Posted:

    Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  189WRX Points: 106Handicap: 6.4Posts: 189 Fairways
    Joined:  #189

    On -, @defnotapro said:

    On -, @CougarRed said:

    I'll report back on the condition.

    Won’t have it yourself completely, a buddy and me will be out there as well!

    Saw a couple of groups out there, but not many. We played in 3 hours.

    Great golf course. GM Bill Slade told me they'd had a bunch of 100 degree days this summer. I saw a couple of brown patches on the course, but none on the greens. Overall condition was excellent IMO.

    Posted:
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX  710WRX Points: 115Handicap: +1Posts: 710 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #190

    On -, @ScottJN said:

    On -, @CStephenson17 said:

    Ended up at The Ridge Club. It was a good experience. The first 6 holes are super interesting and unique then it kind of blends into your regular golf course. Pictures from the first few holes including the par-5 3rd hole with the cool tree




    In sandwich?

    Yes

    Posted:
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TXMembers  598WRX Points: 87Handicap: 8Posts: 598 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #191

    On -, @CougarRed said:

    On -, @defnotapro said:

    On -, @CougarRed said:

    I'll report back on the condition.

    Won’t have it yourself completely, a buddy and me will be out there as well!

    Saw a couple of groups out there, but not many. We played in 3 hours.

    Great golf course. GM Bill Slade told me they'd had a bunch of 100 degree days this summer. I saw a couple of brown patches on the course, but none on the greens. Overall condition was excellent IMO.

    I live about an hour away and coach football. It’s been one of the hottest starts to football that I can remember. Thought the course was in great shape considering the heat and lack of rain lately. It’s usually in great shape in the spring.

    Posted:

    Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  456WRX Points: 260Handicap: 10.3Posts: 456 Greens
    Joined:  #192

    Apologies if this has been covered previously, but there's a lot of info in this thread.
    Heading down to Hilton Head in late October, and this will be my first time using the Play Away membership. The site says complimentary golf for Country Club of Hilton Head, Indigo Run, and Golden Bear. Anyone know what the cart/guest fees are for them? And am I reading correct that complimentary dining benefits are also included at those clubs, or do I have that wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • flushemflushem Members  2075WRX Points: 425Handicap: 11.5Posts: 2,075 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #193

    On -, @SecondandGoal said:

    Apologies if this has been covered previously, but there's a lot of info in this thread.
    Heading down to Hilton Head in late October, and this will be my first time using the Play Away membership. The site says complimentary golf for Country Club of Hilton Head, Indigo Run, and Golden Bear. Anyone know what the cart/guest fees are for them? And am I reading correct that complimentary dining benefits are also included at those clubs, or do I have that wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

    for quicker and more accurate info, I would call club corp directly. 800.433.5079

    Posted:
  • oneunderbogeyoneunderbogey Lefty Boomers  671WRX Points: 88Posts: 671 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #194

    Food is generally complimentary at any of the golf clubs. Only the city clubs

    Posted:
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TXMembers  598WRX Points: 87Handicap: 8Posts: 598 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #195

    Does anyone know the "preferred green rate" on any of the RTJ trail golf courses? Looking to make a trip to Birmingham.

    Posted:

    Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

  • hardcorelooperhardcorelooper Members  35WRX Points: 17Handicap: 7.1Posts: 35 Bunkers
    Joined:  #196

    On -, @Johnny Biarritz said:

    Member at Greenbrier. It's Rees Jones in a housing development...that should say something. It's not bad. Maintained well. I pay membership dues, so I guess I think it's good enough to play 50 or so times a year...

    My 12-year-old daughter and I played Greenbrier last Sunday. Very much a Rees Jones course in a housing development. That said, the staff was really nice, the course was in very nice shape (great greens; I only had 26 putts), and we really appreciated the five sets of tees. It was nice that she had a set of tees to play from rather than having me just start her somewhere in the fairway. I'll definitely play there again.

    A buddy of mine just let me know he's going to the OBX for Thanksgiving, so I'll probably make the drive down and play Currituck with him. This thing is definitely worthwhile.

    Posted:
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members  536WRX Points: 110Handicap: 2Posts: 536 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #197

    On -, @hardcorelooper said:

    On -, @Johnny Biarritz said:

    Member at Greenbrier. It's Rees Jones in a housing development...that should say something. It's not bad. Maintained well. I pay membership dues, so I guess I think it's good enough to play 50 or so times a year...

    My 12-year-old daughter and I played Greenbrier last Sunday. Very much a Rees Jones course in a housing development. That said, the staff was really nice, the course was in very nice shape (great greens; I only had 26 putts), and we really appreciated the five sets of tees. It was nice that she had a set of tees to play from rather than having me just start her somewhere in the fairway. I'll definitely play there again.

    A buddy of mine just let me know he's going to the OBX for Thanksgiving, so I'll probably make the drive down and play Currituck with him. This thing is definitely worthwhile.

    Next time you're down, if you want a game, just send me a message and I'll see what I can do.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6216WRX Points: 286Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,216 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 16, 2019 #198

    On -, @oneunderbogey said:

    Food is generally not complimentary at any of the golf clubs. Only the city clubs.

    Fixed?

    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • Rodmike10Rodmike10 Members  13WRX Points: 41Posts: 13 Bunkers
    Joined:  #199

    Played Knollwood (Granger, IN) as a part of a two-day trip which included Warren Golf Course (Notre Dame). Decent track and a sleeper in respect of what you see from the clubhouse. The terrain sneaks up on you, in a good way.

    I would definitely consider this course to be a tier 2 or 3 (5 as I understand it would be Firestone). Staff was friendly and we basically had the course to ourselves. They do have 2 18’s, and we played the West course.

    Posted:
  • Rodmike10Rodmike10 Members  13WRX Points: 41Posts: 13 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Sep 17, 2019 #200

    This is my home course
    ,Oakhurst, Clarkston, Michigan

    Posted:
  • act0fgodact0fgod Members  184WRX Points: 65Posts: 184 Fairways
    Joined:  #201

    On -, @defnotapro said:

    Does anyone know the "preferred green rate" on any of the RTJ trail golf courses? Looking to make a trip to Birmingham.

    I don't remember what it was exactly. I want to say it was in the $60's at Capitol Hill vs the $98 rack rate.

    Posted:
  • hardcorelooperhardcorelooper Members  35WRX Points: 17Handicap: 7.1Posts: 35 Bunkers
    Joined:  #202

    Did the Omni Bedford Springs drop out of PlayAway? I don't see it on the web site anymore.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  189WRX Points: 106Handicap: 6.4Posts: 189 Fairways
    Joined:  #203

    Just back in Houston from playing the Hills of Lakeway today. Course is in awesome shape. Greens are VERY fast and true.

    Posted:
  • tjbluetjblue Members  246WRX Points: 78Posts: 246 Fairways
    Joined:  #204

    On -, @hardcorelooper said:

    Did the Omni Bedford Springs drop out of PlayAway? I don't see it on the web site anymore.

    It's been off the site for at least a few months.

    A real jewel in the playaway/travel must play list.

    Get down to Chatt. and play Black creek before its gone.

    Posted:
  • oneunderbogeyoneunderbogey Lefty Boomers  671WRX Points: 88Posts: 671 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #205

    Hills of Lakeway is in Austin not Houston... No?

    Posted:
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  189WRX Points: 106Handicap: 6.4Posts: 189 Fairways
    Joined:  #206

    Yes. I was in Austin. I posted about the round when I got back home to Houston.

    Posted:
  • cddiemakercddiemaker Members  4WRX Points: 5Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #207

    Currahee club in ga is one of the best I've played.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • cddiemakercddiemaker Members  4WRX Points: 5Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #208

    River creek club in VA is also very nice.

    Posted:
  • cddiemakercddiemaker Members  4WRX Points: 5Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #209

    I've been a cc member for over 20 years and played quite a few of the club's. One of the best I've played is currahee club in ga. I also really like river creek club in VA. Heron point in Toronto area. Pete dye club in WV was great. Diamond run in Pittsburgh. Firestone north.

    Posted:
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members  835WRX Points: 105Handicap: 4Posts: 835 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #210

    On -, @CougarRed said:

    Just back in Houston from playing the Hills of Lakeway today. Course is in awesome shape. Greens are VERY fast and true.

    Currently in Austin...really enjoyed Lost Creek- some narrow holes on the back and a few holes where you have to be on a particular side of the fairway or far enough back to avoid some overhanging trees, but a beautiful day overall. Bermuda greens seemed pretty true.

    Head to Dallas for the weekend, then wind up the trip in Houston. I think I'll try Las Collinas and Stonrbriar in Dallas. Any thoughts on Houston?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TXMembers  598WRX Points: 87Handicap: 8Posts: 598 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #211

    On -, @SkiSchoolPro said:

    On -, @CougarRed said:

    Just back in Houston from playing the Hills of Lakeway today. Course is in awesome shape. Greens are VERY fast and true.

    Currently in Austin...really enjoyed Lost Creek- some narrow holes on the back and a few holes where you have to be on a particular side of the fairway or far enough back to avoid some overhanging trees, but a beautiful day overall. Bermuda greens seemed pretty true.

    Head to Dallas for the weekend, then wind up the trip in Houston. I think I'll try Las Collinas and Stonrbriar in Dallas. Any thoughts on Houston?

    Las Colinas just had a renovation so it may not be in the condition you would expect normally. Stonebriar is solid. Check out Gleneagles or Stonebridge Ranch dye course. And don't forget about TPC Craig Ranch, believe they have q-school there in a couple of weeks.

    As far as Houston, Woodlands CC is by far the best (Palmer, Tournament, Player in that order for me) and Deerwood at Kingwood Country Club. Lake Windcrest is a fun, easier course. The Golf Trails of the Woodlands would be next, then south is Magnolia Creek.

    Where in Houston are you staying?

    Posted:

    Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.