Upgrade for Callaway 3-wood thats 15 years old

Cpr3584Cpr3584 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭
I have used a callaway great big bertha II 3 wood since it came out in 2004. Have a purple ice x-flex shaft in it. I can drop it in a mop bucket from 263 yards, its my go-to club. I finally think its time to upgrade. I want to keep my purple ice shaft in the new one but im wondering about the head weight. This may be for another forum but does anyone know the head weight of the GBB II vs the Epic 3 wood. I am trying to get the exact same feel as my old 3 wood. thanks
Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

Comments

• Rambler1277Rambler1277 HoustonMembers Posts: 40 ✭✭
    I hear that if you upgrade to the G410 3 wood you can drop it onto a damp sponge from 265 yards.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5, Rogue 
    Titleist 816 H2 19, degree Diamana S+ Stiff
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3, 4, 5 DG S300
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW DG S300
    Vokey SM5 52 F, SM6 56 M, SM6 60 M
    Piretti Elite Potenza
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 19, 2019 5:56pm #4
    I had the perfect club once. 17* x hot pro fairway with a Purple Ice shaft in it. The head cracked and I pulled the shaft and put it in a bio cell+, then a fly z. It never was the same. I wouldn't touch it. If anything buy another 3 wood and try to match the shaft. GD ys power is the same shaft I believe. Other than that there really is nothing else like it. Trust me, I've searched high and low....
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • pup142pup142 The Hacker Members Posts: 278 ✭✭
    If you hit it 200 yards straight no need to upgrade. Pretty good club youhave there.
    edited Feb 19, 2019 6:24pm #6
    Saw that club on EBay for $10 bucks and just bought it. Hope I can get 250 yards out of it. Just sold my new Epic. Epic only went 210 yards.Hope your right. Will let you know. I also believe You and Trump have never lied about your golf game.
  • greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    I would honestly go hit a bunch of 'em at a local golf shop and see what feels/performs the best for you. Any of the modern clubs are going to be very different from that old GBB II in both good and bad ways. I'd also hesitate to tell you to just throw the old shaft in a newer head as the performace and fit of the shaft are also dependent on the design of the head. Just because you love the feel and get solid performance with the old head doesn't mean you'll get the same feel and performance with a more modern head design. I don't know the head weight of that GBB II head but I'd bet a lot of money most anything current is going to be lighter, perhaps significantly. I'd definitely go get some numbers with it and see if there's anything out there that can beat it, which maybe there isn't if you're hitting mop buckets from 263.
    WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Accra TZ5 65 M4
    Titleist T-MB 2i (17º) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not even a 1st world problem, this is a Derek Jeter, John Mayer type of problem.

Don't take the club apart.

Sorry I can't help more wish I could relate.

263 yards into a bucket...

• IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitchell wrote:

Never,ever,ever disassemble a highly reliable fairway wood.

They are fickle. I had a reliable three wood. Left it in my trunk during a fall night... never left the left side of the course again... and the search continues.
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    JAMH03 wrote:

This is not even a 1st world problem, this is a Derek Jeter, John Mayer type of problem.

Don't take the club apart.

Sorry I can't help more wish I could relate.

263 yards into a bucket...

Not to split hairs, but a mop bucket is bigger than your typical bucket.

500321.jpg

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the others have said, hundreds of threads and thousands of dollars have been wasted in pursuit of that which you currently possess: a rocket launching, laser beam, gift-of-the-gods 3 wood. 263 into a bucket? If I could get 263 carry out of a driver and have it in the vicinity of in front of me I’d be overjoyed.

That said, try emailing callaway, they probably have the specs of your current club archived and the specs of the current models in literature.
    Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful what you wish for! I “upgraded” from an early 2000’s heavenwood some years ago and im STILL searxhing for something close to it
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpr3584 wrote:

I have used a callaway great big bertha II 3 wood since it came out in 2004. Have a purple ice x-flex shaft in it. I can drop it in a mop bucket from 263 yards, its my go-to club. I finally think its time to upgrade. I want to keep my purple ice shaft in the new one but im wondering about the head weight. This may be for another forum but does anyone know the head weight of the GBB II vs the Epic 3 wood. I am trying to get the exact same feel as my old 3 wood. thanks

If it's that accurate for you, why change? Call Cally, they can likely give you some info. GBII vs Epic likely won't feel the same, other than possibly swingweight.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for leaving it alone. Put it in storage until you’ve tried a bunch of new ones over a few months and it dawns on you that nothing is better.

You will be very relieved when you get it out of storage and put it back in the bag.

A great 3 wood should be about distance AND accuracy AND confidence. A new one may not fulfill all three.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You don’t change your “go-to” club that you say you can drop in a mop bucket from 263 yards just because you think it’s time for an upgrade. You want to fiddle around with new stuff, go for it. But keep your go-to because you’ll want it back.
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova
  • outnumberedoutnumbered Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Mitchell wrote:

Truer words have never been spoken. Go ahead and try to find something to scratch the itch, but a club like you’re describing should never be the topic of a thread “Club you regret changing or replacing?” Should it ever fall out of favor keep it around to reminisce on the good old days and speak fondly of it always.
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to trade in all my clubs....not anymore. ESPECIALLY my 3 woods. I have them all:

S2H2

Big Bertha Diablo

Last year I bought a Steelhead XR. It should have a lifespan of 12 years based on my other 2 woods LOL

VERY tough to move away from something that has worked so very well, which both of those did. However I felt that I could benefit from the upgrade and thankfully I've been right each time, however I am not willing to part with them.
  • joeferbjoeferb Members Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭
    Look at that XR Steelheads. I really liked the look of them as I loved my Warbird 4 wood. Can get them so cheap now I feel like. Great looking, felt great and plenty of mastalgia felt.
    Taylormade M3 440 - 9* (-1) - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 70 TX
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 - 14* (-1/N) - Aldila Rouge Silver 110 MSi 70 X 3.3 (Tipped 2")
    Taylormade M3 19* (-1) - Graphite Design Tour AD MT 7x
    Mizuno MP18 FliHi 19* - Steelfiber 110cw X
    Callaway '14 ApexPro - 4-5 - Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX (4) 130X(5)
    Callaway XPrototype MB - 6-9 - Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 130X
    Taylormade EF Tour Issue - 47.9, 54.11, 60.7 - KBS Wedge 130x Black Nickel

Scotty Cameron Newport MilSpec 350g (Raw)- 35.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Select - 340g - 35.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Titleist ProV1

Lamkin UTx Wrap Midsize (Blue)

Ping 4 Series
  • g-offg-off Members Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't agree more about looking at the steelhead xr's they have that old school cally look and are as long as anything out there
    epic flash driver

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

edel sls 01 5,7,9,gap

hogan tk 58

putter rotates daily

always hoing the next best thing
  • JohnnyB HipsJohnnyB Hips Lefty Boomers Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 21, 2019 5:27pm #20
    My oldest club in my bag is not that old but what i have is x2hot 3 wood and paired it with a kuro kage shaft. so in the last couple of years i tried buying newer ones from callaway preowned but i still go back to my trusted 3 wood. not sure if it's the shaft for me but i might just grab another x2hot head if my current one cracks.

great big bertha 3 wood is a good one too but it's just too loud for my taste at the moment.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One and only recommendation. Do NOT sell or pull the shaft from your current 3 wood. Keep it as is, as the search for the perfect 3 wood can be a real challenge. You may end up going right back to the old faithful and if you unload it or pull it apart you may regret it for the next 10 years.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitchell wrote:

CPR3584,

The GolfWRX police are taking your classic Calla 3W into protective custody.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • T.B.T.B. Members Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    I’m a janitor,,, 3rd shift. Very ,,,,very little impresses me. But 263 into a mop bucket is impressive.
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CPR, never, ever get rid of or alter a reliable stick.

as one that follows this guideline, there's always a variety of gear to select from.

the issue might where to store it all.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
    Just tried your club I found on EBay. Your right. From 290 yards out I put it in the hole for a double eagle. Tried it off the tee and put it 2 feet from the pin on a 380 par 4. Buying one for my 85 year old dad. He also hit it well over 300 yards. Best $10 bucks I ever spend for a club like this

Thanks.
  • doctorjedidoctorjedi Bringing Sexy Back! Members Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy the components and assemble them. Hit the new one side by side for a full season. Do not break apart your club.
    2018 TM M3 9.5 Accra Concept M3 tipped 1 inch
    FW: Callaway Epic 3 Wood Elements Chrome 6F4
    FW: Callaway Epic heavenwood Elements Chrome 6F4
    Irons: 4i U45 Nippon stiff 5-aw P770 KBS TOUR FLT 110
    Wed: SM5 56.14F SM 7 60.12D
    PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom
  • Cpr3584Cpr3584 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Well I went ahead and took the club apart and put the Purple Ice shaft into an Epic 3 Wood. You guys were right. Not even close to the same feel. Im starting to believe only certain shafts play well in certain clubs.

Taylormade M2
    Callaway Epic 15 degree
    Titleist 910H
    Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 56, 60
    Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mitchell said:

This can't be said enough times

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cpr3584 said:
    Well I went ahead and took the club apart and put the Purple Ice shaft into an Epic 3 Wood. You guys were right. Not even close to the same feel. Im starting to believe only certain shafts play well in certain clubs.

Remember that the weighting could be different and thus the same shaft you loved before May not work. I just tried a new fw wood for fun and should have had zero issues but the shaft just didn't work for me. I pulled out my regular club and it was fine. No issues with the head and the shaft may be fine in another club but the combo didn't work for me.

Remember that companies want you to hit their clubs well and will put together combos that work well for the majority of people. Try some of the stock shafts for the head you own or talk to a reputable and knowledgeable club builder and try to find a set up that will feel like old reliable and perform as well.

• Z4Z3RZ4Z3R Golfing Guy's Guy Cleveland, OHMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Glued Hosels FTW. aka can't beat a Rogue fw

Blade Day Options:
    • Taylormade P7TW
    • Callaway Apex MB RAW
    • Titleist 670
    • Titleist 690.mb 

• SlickT73SlickT73 Members Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to put 2 GBB II fairways back in my bag. They are monsters and seem to be able to keep up with most anything modern.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file