2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Harsh Golf Stories

Zigzog

Let me hear your bad or harsh golf stories - I will start as in a sharing mood today :)

I was 16, still at school and a good golfer (++cap) but was not supported at all by my father sadly. He didn't support me playing golf and said I was wasting my time. He refused to take me anywhere to do with golf. ( Different story that and not the point of this story, but gives some background!)

I was playing in the national boys championship. It was not that local to me, about 70 minutes by car (which was not an option to me) about 2 hours 30 mins by public transport (couple of buses/walk)

I played on the Thursday and Friday and long days - leaving the house at 6am to get the first bus and then arriving at the course around 8.30am (after a 2 mile walk from the bus station) Playing 2 rounds each day and then the walk and bus back home, getting home around 10pm each night.

I won my matches and got to the semi final - which was on the Sat morning; with the final in the afternoon ( they used to play an 18 hole final and then changed to 36 holes)

Saturday arrives and not as many buses, so I need to walk to my next village - 5 miles to get the bus. Leave house at 5am and get to course at 8.15 - having already walked 7 miles and taken three buses.

Meet my opponent, there with his dad who was his caddy and a couple of friends - I didn't have a caddy or anyone with me. He had all the latest gear and fancy equipment. My bag was held together with some string and tape - but was fine as it held my clubs fine for me and was all I needed. The local pro gave me a sleeve of new balls, as I didn't have any brand new ones, I had found an almost new one on the Friday but had used it, I needed my money for the bus. I was chuffed to bits with the gift and was almost in tears.

I played great, but was the subject of some pretty bad behaviour by the lad and his dad. At one point they made fun of me, my clothes etc.and my bag. I was just honest and said that I could not afford anything else. His dad told me that I didn't really belong there. That annoyed me a lot - I continued to play great and holed almost everything with my pride and joy - a Ping Anser which my grandad had given to me - loads of lead tape on the back and a grip that was as shiny as anything you had ever seen _ I loved it and it reminded me of my grandad ( who had died the year before).

I won my match - 5 and 4 - (think I was 7 under through 14) and got no congratulations from the boy or his dad, don't blame the lad as it was learned behaviour in my view.

I waited for the afternoon final on the wall by the clubhouse, had a sandwich that I had made for myself and was trying to get myself up for the final. The pro came out and gave me another sleeve of balls for the final, I hadn't lost a ball so still had two new ones left but he told me to take them anyway.

He said he would buy me a warm drink in the clubhouse as he knew I didn't have much money. I accepted and off we went.

I returned 30 mins later and decided to hit some putts on the green as final prep for the final. I got back to my bag and noticed that my putter was missing.

I was simply lost for words, just didn't know what to do. I told the organiser and he was really quite shocked but didn't have any solutions for me.

The pro offered me a putter from the shop to use for no cost, I choose a Ping Anser like mine, but it was not the same.

The boy I played in the final was great, the final was played in good spirit but I lost badly - putted pretty badly and was just too upset.

Not sure I ever got over that, of course I could never prove anything but I have my suspicions even to this day as to where the putter went to.

There you go, a pretty harsh and sad one to start!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I qualified for the US Junior. At registration you choose your practice round and who you'd like to play with. I opened the book and the first name I see is Tiger Woods, playing by himself no less. I look over and see a kid I know from my state and decided to play with him instead. Dumbest move ever. For those who are young, Tiger was Tiger back when he was 16. They had to set up gallery ropes for his group that week because he was such a thing back then. This was his second of three straight juniors he won.

So the next afternoon I see another kid I know and decided to barge in on their round and I look up when I get to the tee and Hale Irwin's looking at me like WTF is this guy? I was humiliated. His son was playing in that group. I played stupid and joined up with them. Hale was a good dude. Talked to me quite a bit and had a putting contest with him on 17th hole. It was about a 60 foot putt with hole up on a ridge. He took my putter and hit it like two feet. I think he was 48 or 49 because he was still playing regular PGA sched. That tournament was a fun experience for me but made me realize my limitations. Tiger, Ben Curtis and one other guy I forget were the three in that field who were successful on tour from that year. And the USGA makes the course impossible, even for the juniors.

That story was really well told and I was bummed that you lost in the final. There's a special place in hell for people like your semifinal opponent's dad. Good on you for doing so well at golf without parental support.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

Let me hear your bad or harsh golf stories - I will start as in a sharing mood today :)

I was 16, still at school and a good golfer (++cap) but was not supported at all by my father sadly. He didn't support me playing golf and said I was wasting my time. He refused to take me anywhere to do with golf. ( Different story that and not the point of this story, but gives some background!)

I was playing in the national boys championship. It was not that local to me, about 70 minutes by car (which was not an option to me) about 2 hours 30 mins by public transport (couple of buses/walk)

I played on the Thursday and Friday and long days - leaving the house at 6am to get the first bus and then arriving at the course around 8.30am (after a 2 mile walk from the bus station) Playing 2 rounds each day and then the walk and bus back home, getting home around 10pm each night.

I won my matches and got to the semi final - which was on the Sat morning; with the final in the afternoon ( they used to play an 18 hole final and then changed to 36 holes)

Saturday arrives and not as many buses, so I need to walk to my next village - 5 miles to get the bus. Leave house at 5am and get to course at 8.15 - having already walked 7 miles and taken three buses.

Meet my opponent, there with his dad who was his caddy and a couple of friends - I didn't have a caddy or anyone with me. He had all the latest gear and fancy equipment. My bag was held together with some string and tape - but was fine as it held my clubs fine for me and was all I needed. The local pro gave me a sleeve of new balls, as I didn't have any brand new ones, I had found an almost new one on the Friday but had used it, I needed my money for the bus. I was chuffed to bits with the gift and was almost in tears.

I played great, but was the subject of some pretty bad behaviour by the lad and his dad. At one point they made fun of me, my clothes etc.and my bag. I was just honest and said that I could not afford anything else. His dad told me that I didn't really belong there. That annoyed me a lot - I continued to play great and holed almost everything with my pride and joy - a Ping Anser which my grandad had given to me - loads of lead tape on the back and a grip that was as shiny as anything you had ever seen _ I loved it and it reminded me of my grandad ( who had died the year before).

I won my match - 5 and 4 - (think I was 7 under through 14) and got no congratulations from the boy or his dad, don't blame the lad as it was learned behaviour in my view.

I waited for the afternoon final on the wall by the clubhouse, had a sandwich that I had made for myself and was trying to get myself up for the final. The pro came out and gave me another sleeve of balls for the final, I hadn't lost a ball so still had two new ones left but he told me to take them anyway.

He said he would buy me a warm drink in the clubhouse as he knew I didn't have much money. I accepted and off we went.

I returned 30 mins later and decided to hit some putts on the green as final prep for the final. I got back to my bag and noticed that my putter was missing.

I was simply lost for words, just didn't know what to do. I told the organiser and he was really quite shocked but didn't have any solutions for me.

The pro offered me a putter from the shop to use for no cost, I choose a Ping Anser like mine, but it was not the same.

The boy I played in the final was great, the final was played in good spirit but I lost badly - putted pretty badly and was just too upset.

Not sure I ever got over that, of course I could never prove anything but I have my suspicions even to this day as to where the putter went to.

Before the last paragraph, I thought maybe you were Francis Ouimet! :D

What a great story. I had similar experiences growing up as a caddie. It never ceases to amaze me how mean people can be...

I was very happy and proud to hear how the pro took you under his wing and helped you out. I had a similar experience that way as well.

Thank you for sharing!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

You should have bet him and dipped into that little b!tch’$ trust fund.

Two good points out of the OP’s story at least

-There was a kind hearted pro who showed what a small act of kindness can do.

- You slammed the mean spirited kid and his dad into the ground with good golf.

What kind of horrible person makes fun of someone because they can’t afford something? Kids I can get but a grown man telling someone they don’t belong??

That’s not what our sport is supposed to be like :(

This is the best post I’ve read on here in a LONG time. Thank you for sharing a story so personal and heartbreaking. I, too, hoped for a better ending but as the title suggests, harsh is harsh.

Rough story, all you can hope is that the Dad felt shame for his behaviour every time he thought back on those days. Real sh*tty move to steal the putter, especially for you with the history behind the club. Wild, I've never personally been capable of being nasty to people like that, just cant do it.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

That's a sad one bro. You deserved better.

Rough story, all you can hope is that the Dad felt shame for his behaviour every time he thought back on those days. Real sh*tty move to steal the putter, especially for you with the history behind the club. Wild, I've never personally been capable of being nasty to people like that, just cant do it.

FWIW, people who are bullies (like the Dad) never feel shame for their behavior. They are napoleonic complexes with legs and mouths. To feel better about themselves, they need to bring others down with their cruel words and actions.

Here's my story: (passive brag) I won the Chick Evans Scholarship for caddies, as did my older brother (RIP) so we were able to attend college. While we never suffered from starvation or were under clothed, our parents simply did not have the finances to send either of us to college. While I may have had another route, I chose the Evans Scholarship, since it paid full tuition and my housing cost only $200 for the year.

As a freshman, the pledges (yes, we had some rules, although not like the Greek fraternities) had to come a week early, to paint our house inside. General cleaning, etc. But, we took the time to play the Forrest Akers courses in the afternoon.

When the golf team qualifying came around, a number of us tried out. I beat all but the first 2 men (upperclassmen) on the team. The coach (well respected) told me what I could keep playing/practiciing with the team, but since practice was in the afternoon, and as a freshman, the only classes I could get into my schedule for my major requirements were late afternoon classes. I aksed the coach if he could maybe try to re-schedule some of my classes, so that I could continue to practice with the team. He told me that I could CUT classes, or nothing.

I told him to shove his team up his ##$#$@. I turned pro that day, knowing that I could beat any of his Big 10 team whenever I wanted. And, I never looked back.

Spent most of the next few years studying the business of golf, which is why I have created financial success for the courses where I have worked for most of my life.

I don't play now, and thinking back, it really wasn't that hard to have him do something for me.

Even today, people think because I have "played" golf, that I came from an affluent background. I explain to them that I actually came from an effluent background, but climbed above my beginnings.

(kevcarter, hope you don't have to look up another word, like "banal".....just kiddin')

I have done all that I could do to try to help ANY junior that wanted to learn the game. But, I always had a hard time keeping my tongue when I ran into one of those "fathers" like the OP describes is his story.

Thanks for the kind words, life did get better but not straight away.

I struggled on for a bit, but I always knew that I had a really good way with numbers - but I really struggled with the other parts of school.

I left school na year after that, I failed every exam except for Maths - where I got 100% in the final exam; that was rare!

This 100% pass mark was noticed by a couple of universities, I didn't find out until many years later that the school results ( the actual breakdown of % scores) were actually shared with universities.

They approached me and offered me a place on a specific Maths course, which I accepted - again no support from my father who said I should get a job, any job and I was wasting my time :)

I played golf for the university, played some county level stuff and continued to play well. I knew from the outset that I was never going to play golf for a living, as I had no financial backing at all and had no social skills at all. I had to work part time just to make enough money to get by.

I went on to get a phD at a very young age, and then got a job working for a financial company.

Long story short, I ended up working on calculations around the risk of complex financial products and the % of likelihood of various outcomes. It was complex stuff, best thing was that all I had to do was do the calculations - plenty of other people could articulate it better than me and do the talking.

I got to work with some pretty wealthy people, as the work I was doing was generally used for wealth protection and sustained investment etc. and they liked to know who was behind the theory - often over a game of golf.

With that I have had the opportunity to play some great golf courses all over the world, Augusta a few times and many others. Along with that I was put in touch with some very good Doctors and was diagnosed with a complex form of autism, which explains a lot. I still struggle to communicate well and deal with a lot of "normal" situations but I have learned to deal with them better through some coaching and therapy sessions. I am no longer angry and have accepted what I am - still run everything I type through a spell and grammar checker, but is not so bad.

I have a family of my own now and support my son 100% in what he wants to do , he is not that keen on golf, but enjoys tennis and I make sure he has what he needs to succeed - not just money, but support and the best coaching I can get him. He's good, time will tell how good he can be.

I often do think back to the guy and his dad, never heard of the guy again - he never made anything of his golf. Although I don't know for sure, it is likely that they stole my putter and I hope that they do feel some remorse - even if they don't I do trust that one day they will get a harsh lesson. I believe that what goes around comes around, so do hope they get what they are due and if not they have the guilt that they will have to live with. The pro from that day I remember fondly, was some great acts of kindness that I will never forget.

My dad doesn't speak to me, guess he could never deal with what I was - but I am 100% ok with that; I have decided that I am better off without the negativity in my life, I have enough of that on my own.

Thanks for reading, is not really about golf - but in reality it is. The golf course is the one place where I feel equal as we are all playing the same holes and the same course at the same time, and nobody can take that away from me - ever.

I told people I matriculated in college....always got asked if I did it behind closed doors.

I hear ya. I told my buddy that my dentist said to be careful while masticating after he put a temp crown on. My bud said “My mom said it would cause me to go blind but I never believed her.”

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

OP says he is only good with numbers but id like to add he is also a great story teller. Even though the story was tough to read.

Hopefully someone broke into their house at night and beat the dad with your putter. Or hopefully dad lost his job soon after along with all their material crap. Aint got no time for thieves let alone bitter b@stards who take stuff from someone who obviously doesnt have much to be taken from.

Good on you brother for staying humble, making the right choices and doing well for yourself. Keep it up, the world needs more people like yourself.

this post probably wasn't started to create a who has the worst story situation - but I will share a situation that has carried a lifelong cloud.

older brother and I began working in our early teens for the basics.

he caddied at a private club for a several summers on Chicago's North Shore.

encountered what he still calls some of the most vile and demeaning behavior presented by members toward their staff.

this coming from a guy that served in active combat during Nam.

a complete aversion to ever learning or playing the game.

thank goodness he talks to me.

I think he still spits when passing a course - half a century later.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry