Titleist Black Irons

mgolf ·  
mgolfmgolf ClubWRX  25WRX Points: 73Posts: 25 Bunkers
I wanted to see if anyone has seen the Titleist AP1 or AP2 Black irons from the pictures look great. I guess color would hold up over time or will they look faded and bad after a while. Thoughts.
Posted:

Comments

• cgasuckscgasucks Members  2499WRX Points: 411Posts: 2,499 Platinum Tees
    I've seen it and they look great BUT I'm concerned about the durability of the finish. Those irons could turn from black to a satin or a raw finish in a few years.
    Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  643WRX Points: 341Handicap: 14.5Posts: 643 Golden Tee
    Titleist is using a PVD finish which is the cheapest way you can make a club black. It's going to wear super fast. I personally wouldn't buy any black club that wasn't a DBM finish.
    Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • Big BenBig Ben Members  9341WRX Points: 510Handicap: 5Posts: 9,341 Titanium Tees
    arbeck wrote:

Titleist is using a PVD finish which is the cheapest way you can make a club black. It's going to wear super fast. I personally wouldn't buy any black club that wasn't a DBM finish.
    ^^^^this
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • Big BenBig Ben Members  9341WRX Points: 510Handicap: 5Posts: 9,341 Titanium Tees
    Unless I wanted a raw iron set I will no longer consider any finish other than DBM.
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • JoeyAK7JoeyAK7 Stuart, FLMembers  34WRX Points: 27Handicap: 4Posts: 34 Bunkers
    I currently play the AP3’s and they are my favorite iron of all time (previously 690.mb). When I seen the pics of them in shiny black black for the first time my jaw dropped. Ever since that day I’ve told myself that they will wear prematurely like the wedges (and Mizuno T-5 black ion), which helps me sleep better. Not at all familiar with DBM, but if they could find a way to ensure that it holds up its finish in the way that chrome can when cared for they can go ahead and take my money now. I might need you guys to help brainstorm a logical way to justify the decision to my wife, because “just look at them” doesn’t work at all anymore.
    Posted:
  • swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members  282WRX Points: 80Handicap: 2.7Posts: 282 Greens
    JoeyAK7 wrote:

“just look at them” doesn’t work at all anymore.

Sad, sad day the first time that happens.
    Posted:
    Ping G400
    Cobra f8 3 fairway 15
    Srixon f65 5 fairway 19

TaylorMade UDI 21
    TaylorMade P730 4-pw

Vokey 52/8
    MD3 58/11

Ping ZB
    Ping Fetch

Advertisement
  • NorthTXGolfNorthTXGolf Members  129WRX Points: 38Posts: 129 Fairways
    The Cobra Forged Tec blacks are the only black irons I have seen that don't look awful after a year of play.

Haven't seen what the PXG's look like
    Posted:
    PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour 120
    PXG 0311 XF Driver Evenflow Blue 75g
    Vokey 56 s grind
    Ping Glide 3.0 58
    Bettinardi BB1 or Tommy Armour impact 3
    Still deciding on woods/brids
  • JoeyAK7JoeyAK7 Stuart, FLMembers  34WRX Points: 27Handicap: 4Posts: 34 Bunkers
    Posted:
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Atlanta, GAMembers  521WRX Points: 133Handicap: 11Posts: 521 Golden Tee
    JoeyAK7 wrote:

Not sure the point of your post, these appear to be standard AP3's, not the black ones. Am I missing something?
    Posted:
    "We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time."

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 900 3W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
    Titleist AP3 3 - 5 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist AP2 6 - PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Miura Y Grind 51 w/ Project X 5.5
    Miura C Grind 55 w/ Project X 5.5
    Miura C Grind 59 w/ Project X 5.5
    Nike Mod-90
    Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members  1945WRX Points: 301Posts: 1,945 Platinum Tees
    Jarlaxle wrote:

JoeyAK7 wrote:

Not sure the point of your post, these appear to be standard AP3's, not the black ones. Am I missing something?

They were the blacks ones before he put them into play and all of the PVD wore off.
    Posted:
  • JokesJokes Members  171WRX Points: 54Handicap: +1.4Posts: 171 Fairways

Jarlaxle wrote:

JoeyAK7 wrote:

They were the blacks ones before he put them into play and all of the PVD wore off.

I don't think the finish could wear that quick if you tried despite it not being the best
    Posted:
    SIM 9 | Tensei White 70TX
    SIM MAX 15 | Tensei White 80TX
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron  | Dynamic Gold 120X
    P7TW 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
    MG2 50, 54, 60 | Dynamic Gold S400
    Scotty Cameron Concept 2 Super Rat

Advertisement
  • BDOG101BDOG101 Members  47WRX Points: 63Posts: 47 Bunkers

Jarlaxle wrote:

JoeyAK7 wrote:

🤣
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.