ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Yoga... any questions?

clevelandphil24clevelandphil24 Members Posts: 32
edited February 22 in Instruction & Academy
Hello all,

My name is Phil. I am a yoga teacher in training and plan to focus my teaching career on yoga for golf, other sports, and general male fitness.

The majority of yoga practitioners in the US and Europe are female, and the majority of teachers are also female. This has created a bit of an imbalance which perpetuates itself... guys, especially masculine sports lover types, feel out of place in many yoga studios. Having a stranger rub essential oils on your neck does freak some people out... understandably. That is not my style.

My goal is to bridge this gap, and to do so by working with golfers and other professional athletes. My hope is that if guys on tour and in the NBA and NFL start practicing yoga, it will spread quickly into the general American male population. I know that many guys love yoga, and many pro athletes already practice yoga, but in my experience speaking with tour players and NBA athletes, it hasn't yet taken hold as much as I think it will in the next ten years.

I wanted to create this thread to answer your questions about yoga. I am a golf freak like most of you, but am also pretty entrenched in the yoga world. Hopefully I can answer your questions in a way that other yoga instructors could not. I can speak on yoga's role in injury prevention and rehab, the mental game, the full swing, etc. Ask me anything!
Post edited by Unknown User on
[font=georgia,serif]Trackman and yoga. Yoga and Trackman.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Playing with 10 clubs right now.[/font]
[font=georgia,serif]TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 (Diamana Ahina 75 X)[/font]
Titleist [font=georgia, serif]704 CB 3i (Aldila VS Proto 'By You" 85-X)[/font]
[font=georgia,serif]Titleist 710 CB 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW (NS Pro 970)
Bombtech Grenade Wedge 56°[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman[/font]

Comments

• Timbo929Timbo929 Advanced Members Posts: 331 ✭✭
    Can you make a golf yoga video and offer to us like drive 400?

Im really interested in golf yoga, but after you said “oil down my neck”... that was a turn off, bro.

I would be really interested in injury prevention and rehab yoga, buying, and trying at home... alone... with no oil.

Thanks!
  • otwotw Doug Ferreri Advanced Members Posts: 303 ✭✭
    in dward dog what is proper position of head. ?
    "Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.paulbertholy.com

www.dougferreri.com
  • clevelandphil24clevelandphil24 Members Posts: 32
    Timbo929 wrote:

Im really interested in golf yoga, but after you said "oil down my neck"... that was a turn off, bro.

I would be really interested in injury prevention and rehab yoga, buying, and trying at home... alone... with no oil.

Thanks!

Hi Timbo. That is absolutely my goal and I will. I want to graduate my training before disseminating any video routines... I will be done in July (sorry for the wait).

And I just edited my original post... I do not rub oils... haha. I just meant that other teachers do, and it makes a lot of people (male and female) uncomfortable.

For my first video, I will probably focus on injury prevention by opening areas in the hips, low back, and shoulders that get crammed in the golf swing. It's all about increasing the flow of oxygen through tissue by increasing blood flow to often ignored areas.

Phil

edited February 26
    otw wrote:

in dward dog what is proper position of head. ?

Hi Doug,

Your head should hang comfortably.

There should not be any feelings of strain in the neck. My teacher has a great saying... if it feels like you're trying too hard... you probably are.

Side note in down dog... BEND YOUR KNEES! 99/100 people do not have the flexibility in the hips and hamstrings to have straight legs in down dog while maintaining that straight, aligned spine. If your legs are straight, you are likely compromising the integrity of your spine. Just bend your knees and feel the immense relief. That is what down dog should feel like, not an excruciating hamstring "stretch."

Let me know if this all helps.

Phil

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 23,995 ClubWRX
    What's the best way for a 60 Y/O who stretches a fair amount but would like to get into yoga, started?
    DavePelz4 wrote:

What's the best way for a 60 Y/O who stretches a fair amount but would like to get into yoga, started?

If you start at a studio, it will probably help with alignment in basic poses, keeping you from getting bad habits too far ingrained. Going this route, I recommend you call some studios in your area and ask if they have any beginner classes that would suit you. Most will. Even if you go to the studio a few times to get the basics, it would help a lot.

If you have a mat at home, there is a WONDERFUL YouTube channel by a young woman named Adrienne Mishler. Perfect balance of catering to beginners while also still being challenging. I'd recommend a video like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6NfFIr2jw&index=1&list=PLui6Eyny-UzzWwB4h9y7jAzLbeuCUczAl.

As with most things, finding a good middle path is probably the way to go. You don't need to go to a 1 hour studio class every day, but it is good to make sure your alignment is solid. To use a golf analogy, it is good to know how to grip the club before focusing on swing path, as the proper grip makes it easier to find the right swing path. Same with the beginner poses of yoga... knowing those makes it easier to progress faster.

Come July, I will posting videos on YouTube and offering private sessions via live video, so hopefully I can be your main resource!

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 23,995 ClubWRX

DavePelz4 wrote:

If you start at a studio, it will probably help with alignment in basic poses, keeping you from getting bad habits too far ingrained. Going this route, I recommend you call some studios in your area and ask if they have any beginner classes that would suit you. Most will. Even if you go to the studio a few times to get the basics, it would help a lot.

If you have a mat at home, there is a WONDERFUL YouTube channel by a young woman named Adrienne Mishler. Perfect balance of catering to beginners while also still being challenging. I'd recommend a video like this one: https://www.youtube....y7jAzLbeuCUczAl.

As with most things, finding a good middle path is probably the way to go. You don't need to go to a 1 hour studio class every day, but it is good to make sure your alignment is solid. To use a golf analogy, it is good to know how to grip the club before focusing on swing path, as the proper grip makes it easier to find the right swing path. Same with the beginner poses of yoga... knowing those makes it easier to progress faster.

Come July, I will posting videos on YouTube and offering private sessions via live video, so hopefully I can be your main resource!

Thank you ...appreciate the input. Like GI clubs, is there anything SGI equivalent for a yoga beginner? Also, what's your take on hot yoga?
  • Timbo929Timbo929 Advanced Members Posts: 331 ✭✭

Timbo929 wrote:

Im really interested in golf yoga, but after you said "oil down my neck"... that was a turn off, bro.

Thanks!

Hi Timbo. That is absolutely my goal and I will. I want to graduate my training before disseminating any video routines... I will be done in July (sorry for the wait).

And I just edited my original post... I do not rub oils... haha. I just meant that other teachers do, and it makes a lot of people (male and female) uncomfortable.

For my first video, I will probably focus on injury prevention by opening areas in the hips, low back, and shoulders that get crammed in the golf swing. It's all about increasing the flow of oxygen through tissue by increasing blood flow to often ignored areas.

Phil

Sounds good, let me know.. Very interested!

I was just kidding about the oil thing.. it was pretty funny when reading.. lol!
    DavePelz4 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

If you have a mat at home, there is a WONDERFUL YouTube channel by a young woman named Adrienne Mishler. Perfect balance of catering to beginners while also still being challenging. I'd recommend a video like this one: https://www.youtube....y7jAzLbeuCUczAl.

Thank you ...appreciate the input. Like GI clubs, is there anything SGI equivalent for a yoga beginner? Also, what's your take on hot yoga?

Hahaha that's awesome. GI yoga... love it. Almost all poses have modifications for beginners, intermediate, and advanced. If you find a good beginner's class, they will not be doing any poses that would be too much, and will show modifications to make each pose easier. Just don't let ego get in the way, and take the modifications. Another option would be to do some "chair yoga" where you are seated the entire time. The Cleveland Clinic (one of the top 2 hospitals in the USA) has a big yoga program, and they do chair yoga almost exclusively. It allows your to really focus on breath rather than postures.

Here is Adienne's complete beginner video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE which could be a really good starting point.

Regarding hot yoga, I am personally not a fan. When you practice yoga, your body generates heat from the inside out. In a non-heated room doing say a 60 minute flow, I usually start sweating around 10-15 minutes in. When I start sweating I know that it is from my hard work. That feeling is incredible, and gives me a huge sense of accomplishment and happiness.

In a room that is 100+ degrees, you start sweating right away, even if you are just sitting there. Thus, the sweat may be form your hard work, or it may be because of the room's artificial heat. I don't love that. Another issue is that warm muscles are more flexible, so you are able to get right into intense stretching, whereas in a normal room, you need to work your muscles up to that point. I think this lessens the risk for over-stretching and injury. Just my $0.02, and YMMV. Dehydration is also a significant concern.

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    Yoga is quite beneficial, not just to golf but, I'd say all facets of life. You shouldn't be doing it for a workout because that isn't what Yoga was intended for. It also wasn't intended for competition but, there are literally Yoga tournament in existence.

You're in good company though. In San Diego, Yoga and golf are very hand in hand. Along with acupuncture and cupping / guasha which are both blowing up in popularity. I can't speak much for Ohio or the colder parts of the states but, I do know in NH / New England, where I'm from, it's not a thing, it's not popular, and it's considered feminine (mostly). The goal is to play your 18 with your boys, grab a beer or Dunkins after and go home and do your house work.

Yoga to golf go quite hand in hand. I do like that we have a "resident WRX expert" to Yoga. You're the guy, ClevelandPhil.
    Stanks wrote:

Yoga is quite beneficial, not just to golf but, I'd say all facets of life. You shouldn't be doing it for a workout because that isn't what Yoga was intended for. It also wasn't intended for competition but, there are literally Yoga tournament in existence.

You're in good company though. In San Diego, Yoga and golf are very hand in hand. Along with acupuncture and cupping / guasha which are both blowing up in popularity. I can't speak much for Ohio or the colder parts of the states but, I do know in NH / New England, where I'm from, it's not a thing, it's not popular, and it's considered feminine (mostly). The goal is to play your 18 with your boys, grab a beer or Dunkins after and go home and do your house work.

Yoga to golf go quite hand in hand. I do like that we have a "resident WRX expert" to Yoga. You're the guy, ClevelandPhil.

Couldn't agree more about the California/East Coast-Midwest differences. Just moved home to Cleveland after 8 years in LA, and think you hit the nail on the head.

You are spot on about the competition side of things. Iyengar said he really struggled with the concept of competitions when they first popped up in India, because while it was against the spirit of yoga, it introduced the practice to a new audience and helped it gain popularity.

For a long time, I was a very outcome-oriented person. All I cared about was results, and in many ways, comparing those results to other people. Yoga and some books by John Wooden have smashed that bug, and I'm a better person for it.

Would love to be the Wrx yoga guy!

• spud3spud3 Advanced Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
    I've been "practicing" yoga for about 4 years now (I'm almost 58), and it's been really helpful in keeping my ability to play up to my standards. The mid 50's seems to be when the overall physical abilities start taking a dive, flexibility being a key thing that suffers. Starting slow and with lots of modifications is the way to go. Also recognizing there are poses that an older body just won't ever get to, and that's ok.

I see more guys, especially my age, showing up and participating. I think there's less stigma than there used to be.

Thanks for the thread, Phil. I'll be following.
    "take that, you miserable
    little white swine!"
    spud3 wrote:

I've been "practicing" yoga for about 4 years now (I'm almost 58), and it's been really helpful in keeping my ability to play up to my standards. The mid 50's seems to be when the overall physical abilities start taking a dive, flexibility being a key thing that suffers. Starting slow and with lots of modifications is the way to go. Also recognizing there are poses that an older body just won't ever get to, and that's ok.

I see more guys, especially my age, showing up and participating. I think there's less stigma than there used to be.

Thanks for the thread, Phil. I'll be following.

Super glad to hear yoga has helped you, and I definitely think the stigma is going away by the day. Will update the thread as my education progresses, and would appreciate all of your support as I start releasing videos this summer.

• huskydawghuskydawg Advanced Members Posts: 233
    Great thread! I did it heavily for 3 years about 3 times a week on an unlimited plan and a teacher training. It cured my insomnia, fixed my self-loathing/self criticism (I suffered from flashbacks of every stupid thing I ever did), and extended my standing reach stretch about 15 inches. It loosened my hips and back greatly. After so many years of doing it, I actually hurt my shoulder and I just generally felt a little too loose, to the point of instability. After my injury I stopped doing yoga, but if I were to pick it up again, I would supplement it with weightlifting to add some strength and stability.

But yes, in this society we sit way too much and are generally uptight about everything. I think we keep a lot of stress and anxiety inside our muscles and the release is great, it's like a tuneup for the whole body and the mind. You feel 100% better after a rough day or week.
    1W
    5W
    3 Iron
    4-PW
    GW
    SW
    LW
    Putter
    Ball
    Glove
    Bag

Sub: 3w for 5i
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    edited February 22
    People tend to gravitate and do things they are good at. This being the case, its no wonder more women do yoga than men. They are more flexible.

I've done yoga various time throughout my years, and the one thing that frustrated me was there were very few videos or classes where they would demonstrate an alternative move to the one they were doing.

It might be easy for a yogi to perform an ustrasana, but thats pretty much impossible for me due to years of cycling and having some really tight hip flexors.

I used to really like that one show "Inhale" that was on the Oxygen network. There was always a guy or two with my flexibility on there that was doing the alternate stretch that I could follow.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
    huskydawg wrote:

Great thread! I did it heavily for 3 years about 3 times a week on an unlimited plan and a teacher training. It cured my insomnia, fixed my self-loathing/self criticism (I suffered from flashbacks of every stupid thing I ever did), and extended my standing reach stretch about 15 inches. It loosened my hips and back greatly. After so many years of doing it, I actually hurt my shoulder and I just generally felt a little too loose, to the point of instability. After my injury I stopped doing yoga, but if I were to pick it up again, I would supplement it with weightlifting to add some strength and stability.

But yes, in this society we sit way too much and are generally uptight about everything. I think we keep a lot of stress and anxiety inside our muscles and the release is great, it's like a tuneup for the whole body and the mind. You feel 100% better after a rough day or week.

This is so great to hear. I am also studying for my personal training exam, and intend to blend yoga and weights.

A great yoga instructor named Jason Crandall suffered from the same deal you mention... he said it very well and I agree with him... "When I came to yoga, I was strong and tight. After years of yoga and little to no weights, I have become weak and loose."

The combo may be the "golden ticket." That said, I do think most lifting programs are a bit too high frequency. I think one or two full body lifts per week would suffice.

BrianMcG wrote:

People tend to gravitate and do things they are good at. This being the case, its no wonder more women do yoga than men. They are more flexible.

I've done yoga various time throughout my years, and the one thing that frustrated me was there were very few videos or classes where they would demonstrate an alternative move to the one they were doing.

It might be easy for a yogi to perform an ustrasana, but thats pretty much impossible for me due to years of cycling and having some really tight hip flexors.

I used to really like that one show "Inhale" that was on the Oxygen network. There was always a guy or two with my flexibility on there that was doing the alternate stretch that I could follow.

YES. Love this. We do tend to gravitate towards things we are good at, and I';d venture to say that almost nobody is excellent at yoga when they begin. That is what is so cool about it... you face something you are not good at and maybe don't really feel like doing, but you do it anyways because you know it will make you better. Then when you are laying in Savasana, you can bathe in your sense of accomplishment.

• extrastiffextrastiff Advanced Members Posts: 854 ✭✭

DavePelz4 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

If you have a mat at home, there is a WONDERFUL YouTube channel by a young woman named Adrienne Mishler. Perfect balance of catering to beginners while also still being challenging. I'd recommend a video like this one: [url="

Hahaha that's awesome. GI yoga... love it. Almost all poses have modifications for beginners, intermediate, and advanced. If you find a good beginner's class, they will not be doing any poses that would be too much, and will show modifications to make each pose easier. Just don't let ego get in the way, and take the modifications. Another option would be to do some "chair yoga" where you are seated the entire time. The Cleveland Clinic (one of the top 2 hospitals in the USA) has a big yoga program, and they do chair yoga almost exclusively. It allows your to really focus on breath rather than postures.

Here is Adienne's complete beginner video: [url=" which could be a really good starting point.

Regarding hot yoga, I am personally not a fan. When you practice yoga, your body generates heat from the inside out. In a non-heated room doing say a 60 minute flow, I usually start sweating around 10-15 minutes in. When I start sweating I know that it is from my hard work. That feeling is incredible, and gives me a huge sense of accomplishment and happiness.

In a room that is 100+ degrees, you start sweating right away, even if you are just sitting there. Thus, the sweat may be form your hard work, or it may be because of the room's artificial heat. I don't love that. Another issue is that warm muscles are more flexible, so you are able to get right into intense stretching, whereas in a normal room, you need to work your muscles up to that point. I think this lessens the risk for over-stretching and injury. Just my $0.02, and YMMV. Dehydration is also a significant concern.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • extrastiffextrastiff Advanced Members Posts: 854 ✭✭

DavePelz4 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

If you have a mat at home, there is a WONDERFUL YouTube channel by a young woman named Adrienne Mishler. Perfect balance of catering to beginners while also still being challenging. I'd recommend a video like this one: [url="

Here is Adienne's complete beginner video: [url=" which could be a really good starting point.

disagree with the hot yoga bit... sweat is good for multiple reasons, and not really something I use to quantify how hard I'm working.

And like u said warm muscles more flexible. No pitfall to using heat unless someone thinks u can just start going hard because the room is warm, which means an absent-minded instructor is in charge.

But overall good points, nice thread. Come to Atlanta and let's film some golf yoga instructional videos 🙂
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Advanced Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    If you make YouTube videos or some video series, please show actual beginners doing the (modified) poses. Every yoga video I've seen just designates some expert demonstrating the modified poses in perfect form and there is no frame of reference for common faults that the average beginner would have.

Also, I understand that there is a spiritual aspect to yoga, but that is a turn off for many people. In college, a local studio would do a "yoga for athletes" that was all about the poses and transitions between poses, but it was ok for people to laugh and chat with each other. That might be a more effective way to introduce people to yoga
  • sui generissui generis Advanced Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭
    I'm a fan of yoga, Phil. Twice a week for the past fifteen years. No back pain and I walk and carry. I'm only 76. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • huskydawghuskydawg Advanced Members Posts: 233

huskydawg wrote:

This is so great to hear. I am also studying for my personal training exam, and intend to blend yoga and weights.

A great yoga instructor named Jason Crandall suffered from the same deal you mention... he said it very well and I agree with him... "When I came to yoga, I was strong and tight. After years of yoga and little to no weights, I have become weak and loose."

The combo may be the "golden ticket." That said, I do think most lifting programs are a bit too high frequency. I think one or two full body lifts per week would suffice.

Sounds like you're on the right track, I hope the best for you! Thinking back, I think encouraging veganism, vegetarianism, and certain political views might be offputting to the general public regarding yoga. Have you experienced any of this sort of pressure? In my experience, it wasn't really a direct in your face type of thing, but just off-hand mentions about doing so to live a better life.
    1W
    5W
    3 Iron
    4-PW
    GW
    SW
    LW
    Putter
    Ball
    Glove
    Bag

Sub: 3w for 5i
  • parmarkparmark Parmark Advanced Members Posts: 1,392
    edited February 22
    BrianMcG wrote:

People tend to gravitate and do things they are good at.

Then why the **** do I enjoy playing golf so much? My scorecard would contradict this fact.

Call me weird.

PS - And why does yoga hurt so darn much! Part of my P90X, after a few year's I'm still stumbling all over the place. How about yoga for the vertigo challenged?
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Advanced Members Posts: 3,468 ✭✭
    I do yoga on and off. Funny part is that you can find a million workout videos on YouTube on yoga but try typing in yoga for golf and you get very few responses. You should start a YouTube channel.
  • stryperstryper Advanced Members Posts: 2,981 ✭✭
    Yoga = stretching...what am I missing?
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F, 56-10 S
    Callaway Sure Out 64
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
    stryper wrote:

More than you might imagine. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

stryper wrote:

Enlighten me, please.
    Callaway Sure Out 64
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
    stryper wrote:

stryper wrote:

Enlighten me, please.

Do you have Google? That's a better source than my anecdotes.
    edited February 22

stryper wrote:

stryper wrote:

Enlighten me, please.

I’m actually not looking for a fight. I’ve tried yoga. Internally, I couldn’t make the connection between adopting certain poses and any sort of spiritual communion. Frankly, sun salutations, warrior poses, and the like always felt a little silly (and self-indulgent) to me. I do understand the value of gently forcing your body into more and more difficult positions, improving your functional range of motion, balance, but at the end of the day I don’t see it as anything more than a certain feel-good type of exercise regimen. YMMV
    Callaway Sure Out 64
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • ScratchyDawgScratchyDawg Advanced Members Posts: 314
    stryper wrote:

That's like someone who doesn't play golf saying "it's just hitting a ball".

I recently got into yoga. To me, while it's mostly stretching, I can say it's definitely more than that. I genuinely feel more relaxed physically and mentally. There's obviously more to it than just "stretching".
    [font="times new roman, times, serif"]"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson[/font]
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    parmark wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

Then why the **** do I enjoy playing golf so much? My scorecard would contradict this fact.

Call me weird.

PS - And why does yoga hurt so darn much! Part of my P90X, after a few year's I'm still stumbling all over the place. How about yoga for the vertigo challenged?

Your a ****.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Advanced Members Posts: 721 ✭✭
    I’ve been curious about taking up yoga to improve my flexibility Which I feel would improve my game. But I’m having a tough time evaluating the various disciplines, specifically which would be best for golf.

So... which form of yoga would be best for golf?
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723
    edited February 23
    Yoga is hard. Most golfers are not even in good enough shape for any sport, let alone yoga.

That said, exercise people!
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Advanced Members Posts: 6,257 ✭✭
    I've been considering yoga for a little while. The older I get, the bigger the "little" aches and pains become.

My Doctor says if the world would lose weight and take up yoga he'd be out of business.

Following.
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723
    edited February 23
    I've been considering yoga for a little while. The older I get, the bigger the "little" aches and pains become.

My Doctor says if the world would lose weight and take up yoga he'd be out of business.

Following.

You know, it is funny that you say that. People are inherently lazy and blobs , you know how Louis C.K. Makes that “ EhhhhhUghhhh” noise about himself haha.

So medicine breakthrus were, how do we keep the blob humans alive longer?

A lot of stuff revolves around fixing a problem that the person caused. Some are genetic , but a lot of bad decisions. Blob decisions .
  • jeffreyljeffreyl Advanced Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Have been attending a yoga “core” class (67 years). Lot of focus this month on legs and hamstring; as 30 year runner and lifetime golfer, it is very hard, but is rewarding and It helps with flexibility and balance. Yoga practice is calming for me, too. Would like to become more proficient,but realize it is a journey.
  • provxprovx Advanced Members Posts: 818 ✭✭
    When i warm up for exercises I typically do original strength style of rocking/ rolling with down dog mixed in, thats really only the yoga pose i attempt to do as im not a huge fan of static streching (personal preference)

Do you believe in strict yoga or do you think the future of yoga incorporates elements from other disciplines
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Advanced Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    stryper wrote:

There is a lot of stability and balance involved as well,which will only help a golfer. As well, some yoga sessions I have done have made me quite sore, especially in my back and chest due to body weight holds, push-ups, etc.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Advanced Members Posts: 4,676 ✭✭
    Love Yoga! Sadly work and family commitments have meant that my exercise routine in the last two to three years has gone from being a 4 to 5 times a week in the gym to some weeks barely anything these days which bugs the heck out of me.

I used to go to Yoga at least once a week over the spring, summer and autumn months - basically when it is golf season here because it was a work out and much tougher than most people think but without the DOMS that were a pest when it came to getting out there and playing golf.

My hope is that I will get back into this year. It did wonders for my back in reducing the amount of muscle strains that I would suffer from.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
    extrastiff wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Here is Adienne's complete beginner video: https://www.youtube....h?v=v7AYKMP6rOE which could be a really good starting point.

disagree with the hot yoga bit... sweat is good for multiple reasons, and not really something I use to quantify how hard I'm working.

And like u said warm muscles more flexible. No pitfall to using heat unless someone thinks u can just start going hard because the room is warm, which means an absent-minded instructor is in charge.

But overall good points, nice thread. Come to Atlanta and let's film some golf yoga instructional videos ��

I understand and respect your opinion. In my experience over stretching can definitely lead to joint instability. Weights really help to offset that issue, which is why I combine yoga and weights.

I may be down in Atlanta this summer actually, would definitely be game to connect.

BrianMcG wrote:

When I do videos, I will have two people doing the poses, one in beginner poses and one in intermediate variations.

SirFuego wrote:

If you make YouTube videos or some video series, please show actual beginners doing the (modified) poses. Every yoga video I've seen just designates some expert demonstrating the modified poses in perfect form and there is no frame of reference for common faults that the average beginner would have.

Also, I understand that there is a spiritual aspect to yoga, but that is a turn off for many people. In college, a local studio would do a "yoga for athletes" that was all about the poses and transitions between poses, but it was ok for people to laugh and chat with each other. That might be a more effective way to introduce people to yoga

I certainly will.

I'm a fan of yoga, Phil. Twice a week for the past fifteen years. No back pain and I walk and carry. I'm only 76. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Awesome. That's so encouraging to hear! I had back issues for a long time and yoga took care of those. It's magical stuff.

huskydawg wrote:

huskydawg wrote:

Sounds like you're on the right track, I hope the best for you! Thinking back, I think encouraging veganism, vegetarianism, and certain political views might be offputting to the general public regarding yoga. Have you experienced any of this sort of pressure? In my experience, it wasn't really a direct in your face type of thing, but just off-hand mentions about doing so to live a better life.

I certainly have and continue to experience this. Like most things, some people are cool and just want to have an open discussion, others shove their views down your throat and can be judgemental if you don't agree with them.

I guess the lesson is that it's all about how you say things, not always what you say.

parmark wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

Call me weird.

I'm a former P90X guy myself. In general, I feel that P90X is in the real of overtraining for about 99% of the population... but it does lead to huge results fast, which is the name of the game a lot of times.

In my humble opinion, the Yoga DVD was extremely intense and certainly not the best way to introduce beginners to yoga.

stryper wrote:

stryper wrote:

stryper wrote:

Enlighten me, please.

I'm actually not looking for a fight. I've tried yoga. Internally, I couldn't make the connection between adopting certain poses and any sort of spiritual communion. Frankly, sun salutations, warrior poses, and the like always felt a little silly (and self-indulgent) to me. I do understand the value of gently forcing your body into more and more difficult positions, improving your functional range of motion, balance, but at the end of the day I don't see it as anything more than a certain feel-good type of exercise regimen. YMMV

Look up chair pose4 and balancing side plank. These poses are not stretching at all, more so muscle stabilizing moves, very intense. Sorry, still trying to figure out how to post photos.

I've been curious about taking up yoga to improve my flexibility Which I feel would improve my game. But I'm having a tough time evaluating the various disciplines, specifically which would be best for golf.

So... which form of yoga would be best for golf?

In my opinion and experience, Vinyasa Flow yoga is best for male beginners. YMMV.

provx wrote:

When i warm up for exercises I typically do original strength style of rocking/ rolling with down dog mixed in, thats really only the yoga pose i attempt to do as im not a huge fan of static streching (personal preference)

Do you believe in strict yoga or do you think the future of yoga incorporates elements from other disciplines

I think there is a ton of value in combining non-yoga movements into yoga, like 5-10 pound dumbbells. That said, I like to keep my yoga and weights separate. I think is you look into Vinyasa Flow yoga, you would find that there is virtually no static stretching in a lot of classes.

My yoga videos will be in this style primarily.

MattyO1984 wrote:

Love Yoga! Sadly work and family commitments have meant that my exercise routine in the last two to three years has gone from being a 4 to 5 times a week in the gym to some weeks barely anything these days which bugs the heck out of me.

I used to go to Yoga at least once a week over the spring, summer and autumn months - basically when it is golf season here because it was a work out and much tougher than most people think but without the DOMS that were a pest when it came to getting out there and playing golf.

My hope is that I will get back into this year. It did wonders for my back in reducing the amount of muscle strains that I would suffer from.

I'll be putting out videos starting in July ranging from about 20-80 minutes. You can slowly get back into it with a small time commitment, then get re-hooked!

• finleysgfinleysg Advanced Members Posts: 1,233
    BrianMcG wrote:

Rodney Yee has a DVD called Conditioning for Athletes that does a decent job of demonstrating alternatives. He is joined by two others in the video, and each of the three does a slightly different version of each pose. It's one of my favorites.
    D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
    3W: Exotics E8 Beta - Aldila Rogue 110
    3 - Ping Crossover
    4H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
    Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Advanced Members Posts: 12,941 ✭✭
    Yoga is great, I dabble in it a bit. Helps keep things moving as you advance in age. So count me I. As interested

Ping G400
    Callaway V Series 3w, HW
    Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Advanced Members Posts: 12,941 ✭✭
    There is a guy who has a website called the Golf Yogi. I’ve worked with some of his stuff it’s good. I think he’s a golf pro and a yoga teacher.

Ping G400
    Callaway V Series 3w, HW
    Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • mich750mich750 Advanced Members Posts: 300 ✭✭
    edited February 24
    Great thread! I was practicing yoga at my local YMCA for a few years, but have let it slip from my routine. I'm currently suffering from some patellar tendonitis and was wondering if you could recommend any good yoga stretches that may help. About me - 52, 5'10 270 very strong and still very flexible for a fat old guy:-)

thx

Jeff
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TM 2016 M1 9.5 - Kuro Kage Silver with TiNi 60 S (44.5)[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TM 2017 M1 3 W - [/font][background=transparent]Kuro Kage [/background][background=transparent]Silver with TiNi 70 S (42.5) [/background]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli HI 3 Nippon NS Pro Modus X[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Ping I200 - 4-UW Steelfiber I110 CW S HS
    Ping Glide 54 WS - 54 C-Taper S+
    Ping Glide 60 ES - DG S400
    Scotty Futura X5
    9 HC
    [/font]