Seeing a lot of new odyssey stroke lab putters on the classifieds

scott19scott19 Peter SeltenrightMembers Posts: 86 ✭✭
Am I just imagining this or are a lot of people dumping the new stroke lab putters? What’s the consensus on these?
Driver: Titleist 915D4 (10.5) with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec X-stiff
Fairway: Titleist 917f2 (16.5) with Diamana D+ Limited white 80 stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 (21) with Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec Stiff
Irons: Wilson FG Tour V6 4-GW, S300 AMT
Wedges: Wilson PMP 55, 59 KBS Hi-rev 2.0
Putter: Scotty Cameron M1

Comments

• FlashinLeatherFlashinLeather Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    It is a totally different feel. I think people get excited, buy, and then switch back to the feel that they have played for a long time.
    Ping G400 LST 10 - Ping Tour X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB - 2i - X100
    TaylorMade P790 - 4i-AW - X100
    Vokey - 54, 58
    Bettinardi - QB6
    Titleist Pro V1
  • rbj69rbj69 Members Posts: 690 ✭✭
    Lol I was noticing this as well
    Taylormade M16 with Tensei Orange shaft
    Taylormade 3 wd with tensei orange shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3hybrid with aldila synergy shaft
    4-pw Srixon Z785/Zforged combo with px lz shafts
    Cleveland 50 rtx4 wedge
    Cleveland 56 rtx4 wedge
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • Olde MaroonOlde Maroon Playing your old gear Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    I don't think it's any more than you're sewing of the M5/6, F9, Epic Flash, etc. It just stands out if you are tuned into the putter market.

It's a new season of gear, so people buy, try, and figure out what works and what doesn't. Not everyone wants to or can try adequately before buying, so this is their process.
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Members Posts: 379 ✭✭
    Still evaluating my Stroke Lab One putter, but as of right now, I intend to put it in play.
  • freddiedavis65freddiedavis65 Gadsden, ALMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I tried out the 7s and had a hard time getting the ball to the hole. Left way too many lsg putts short. I'm sure I could learn to adjust but when I'm playing I want to play well and feel confident with my stick. Don't want to adjust my game for the stick.
  • ericthegoldericthegold Members Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I rolled one of the stroke lab putters at my local retail shop. Very plasticky feel on the face insert.
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Eric Goldthwaite[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]TM M5 w/Hzrdus Yellow[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]TM M6 w/Hzrdus Yellow[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]TM M6 with Tensei Pro White[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra Forged One Length 4-PW[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3 50 Degree, TM EF 54 degree, TM hi-toe 58 degree[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Cameron CX Putter[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Evnroll ER9[/font]
    TP5x
  • jtj74jtj74 Members Posts: 780 ✭✭
    Just like all the Scottys on the BST......
  • bcsquarebcsquare Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    I rolled them around in the store as well. Not really a fan of the look; especially the wheel weights. The insert felt like mush IMO. I tried a similar O Works and it seemed firmer than the Stroke Lab.
    Cobra F9 9*, Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 6S
    Cobra F9 3W 14.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 18.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    Had the Stroke Lab Double Wide traded it for the Stroke Lab 1 better look to me, and all good better look, great feel.
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,720 ✭✭
    I'm seriously considering a #3. It felt great in the store. If I do get one I'll be doing my first ever paintfill work, I hate yellow!
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,010 ClubWRX
    Rolled one last week in the store... Odyssey does make a nice feeling putter for the most part but I could not get past the looks, just a lot going on to my eye. They keep trying to reinvent the face, I kind of wish they would just stick with something for a little bit.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • SlothofDespondSlothofDespond Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 10:27am #13
    Nixhex524 wrote:

Rolled one last week in the store... Odyssey does make a nice feeling putter for the most part but I could not get past the looks, just a lot going on to my eye. They keep trying to reinvent the face, I kind of wish they would just stick with something for a little bit.

Odyssey design has gotten very “busy” in recent years. My old Dual Force and 1st generation White Hot are really clean looking putters. The lastest designs have lines and colors all over the place—which I personally find distracting.

Has the shaft seen much adoption on the Tour level? Having rolled it I’m kind leaning toward it as a nice option for some but certainly not for everyone. Going all in on it like Odyssey is doing feels like something they’ll back off in the future.
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost ClubWRX Posts: 1,489 ClubWRX

Nixhex524 wrote:

Odyssey design has gotten very "busy" in recent years. My old Dual Force and 1st generation White Hot are really clean looking putters. The lastest designs have lines and colors all over the place—which I personally find distracting.

Has the shaft seen much adoption on the Tour level? Having rolled it I'm kind leaning toward it as a nice option for some but certainly not for everyone. Going all in on it like Odyssey is doing feels like something they'll back off in the future.

I have a theory that a lot of the tour players that are using the Stroke Lab shaft are just using a painted steel putter shaft with the Stroke Lab graphics on it.
    Instagram: @z.buck
    Callaway GBB Epic - 10.5° / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 X
    Titleist 915F - 21° / Graphite Design AD-DJ 7 X
    Titleist 818 H1 - 23° / HZRDUS Black 85 X
    Srixon Z745 5-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 - 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Callaway PM Grind - 60° / KBS 610 Wedge 125 S+
    Odyssey Tour Issue WHP #7 (Pro X Insert)
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 331 ✭✭
    ZBUCK wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

Odyssey design has gotten very "busy" in recent years. My old Dual Force and 1st generation White Hot are really clean looking putters. The lastest designs have lines and colors all over the place—which I personally find distracting.

Has the shaft seen much adoption on the Tour level? Having rolled it I'm kind leaning toward it as a nice option for some but certainly not for everyone. Going all in on it like Odyssey is doing feels like something they'll back off in the future.

I have a theory that a lot of the tour players that are using the Stroke Lab shaft are just using a painted steel putter shaft with the Stroke Lab graphics on it.

That's some tin foil hat level conspiracy there. I like that.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Members Posts: 666 ✭✭
    scott19 wrote:

Am I just imagining this or are a lot of people dumping the new stroke lab putters? What's the consensus on these?

Odyssey has been crap for a while.
  • FerrisWyattFerrisWyatt Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    ZBUCK wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised. Stuff like that happens in the NHL all the time. They paint or decal the sticks with the newest graphics to promote the new product but most players just use older model sticks they are used to and love.
  • collindm1collindm1 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited Feb 28, 2019 11:13pm #18
    Is it just me or does the stroke lab #1 sit a bit open? these just aren't game changers...not bad putters, just nothing to write home about imo.
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    Cant stand the cheap plastic feel plus the putters paint just falls off. There are a ton of returns on them at my local store. They had a great idea with the shaft but failed to execute it the right way and i think it will be a total flop.
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 899 ✭✭
    jtj74 wrote:

Just like all the Scottys on the BST......

Scotty putters have been out for over 20 years, has the stroke lab even been out 20 days?
      • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,426 ✭✭
    edited Mar 1, 2019 8:20pm #21

Cant stand the cheap plastic feel plus the putters paint just falls off. There are a ton of returns on them at my local store. They had a great idea with the shaft but failed to execute it the right way and i think it will be a total flop.

I’ve never been a big fan of counter balanced putters but i think odyssey did a good job with the stroke lab shaft. I do agree with the poster who said Odyssey keeps trying to reinvent the wheel with the insert when they should offer up the tour white hot, which everyone seems to love. I actually thought these were well made although I ended up returning my tuttle for the spider x because I liked the TM way better.

Callaway Epic SZ - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 15* - Diamana S Ltd
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,443 ✭✭

What would be the right way to execute the shaft?

Not arguing, just curious.
  • scoop79scoop79 Members Posts: 183
    I had a trial with a Strokelab Tuttle that lasted three holes. I’ve gained plenty of mallets over the years, and at 35” it was the correct length for me.

The grip felt terrible, feel off the face was horrible and distance control was not good. Not for me at all. Think it is one of these things that you will either absolutely love or hate with nothing in between.
  • poppman2142poppman2142 Members Posts: 1,145 ✭✭
    I thought they had a very plastic feel to them. I think the stroke lab shaft is good technology so I ended up ordering a Toulon Azalea with the stroke lab shaft.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ triple diamond 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Callaway Apex 19' 18* with Diamana Thump 90 stiff tipped 1/4"
    Callaway Apex Pro dot 4-P with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Mizuno T7 51,56,61 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Epon Zen 34.75" with Grip Master leather wrap
    Toulon Azalea 34.75" with Stability putter shaft
    2018 Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade tp5x
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • freddiedavis65freddiedavis65 Gadsden, ALMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭
    The feel to me was similar to the old Taylor made Nubbins
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,443 ✭✭
    Loved the feel. Couldn’t get along with the shaft. Too light. Felt whippy.
  • kleydejongkleydejong Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Sometimes this is just a sign that people are club ho's.
    Taylormade M3
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Adams Pro 18* / 24*
    Maltby DBM 5-PW
    Maltby M-Series + 50*
    Maltby M-Series + 54*
    Mizuno S18 60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec Newport
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Members Posts: 283 ✭✭
    edited Mar 4, 2019 9:53pm #28
    Scotty1140 wrote:

What would be the right way to execute the shaft?

Not arguing, just curious.

I was hoping that it would be more like a stability shaft. To me it just feels weak and whippy. Edit: (just saw you comment on this after posting this) Interesting to see how they will hold up a year from now.
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Members Posts: 1,108 ✭✭
    I see a lot of "feels whippy" comments....what kinda swing speed do you guys generate with your putter??
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 331 ✭✭

I see a lot of "feels whippy" comments....what kinda swing speed do you guys generate with your putter??

105mph, trying to bump up that putter swing speed numbers.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,520 ✭✭
    I couldn’t get the ball to the hole either! The three rounds I played it I left a fair amount of putts short, on a course I play a lot! I just couldn’t get the feel of the putter...at all! There was one thing do he said...they were on my putting line better than before though.