Seeing a lot of new odyssey stroke lab putters on the classifieds

scott19 ·  
scott19scott19 Peter Seltenright 119WRX Points: 66Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 119 Fairways
Am I just imagining this or are a lot of people dumping the new stroke lab putters? What’s the consensus on these?
Posted:
Driver: Wilson Cortex 9.5* with Graphite Design G-60 Red X-stiff
Fairway: Wilson FG Tour F5 17* with Axivcore Black X-stiff
Hybrid: Wilson M3 21* with Aldila Phenom 85 Stiff
Utility: Wilson V4 Utility 4 iron with Aldila Green 105S
Irons: Wilson FG Tour V6 5-GW, S300 AMT
Wedges: Wilson PMP 55, 59 KBS Hi-rev 2.0
Putter: Wilson Staff 8802 milled 

Comments

• FlashinLeatherFlashinLeather Florida 176WRX Points: 58Handicap: 9Members Posts: 176 Fairways
    It is a totally different feel. I think people get excited, buy, and then switch back to the feel that they have played for a long time.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 - AD DI 7x
    TS2 Hybrid 19* - AD DI 95x
    Titleist 718 T-MB - 2i - X100
    TaylorMade P790 - 4i-AW - X100
    Vokey - 55.5, 60
    Bettinardi - BB8 Dass / QB6 / iNOVAi 5.0 CS / BB40
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rbj69rbj69  769WRX Points: 58Handicap: 14Members Posts: 769 Golden Tee
    Lol I was noticing this as well
    Posted:
    Taylormade M16 with blue atmos shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3 wd with blue evnflow shaft
    Cleveland hb launcher 3h
    4-pw Srixon Z585\Z785 combo with $ taper shafts
    Cleveland 50 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 56 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 60 cbx2 wedge
    Odyssey stability 1Wide
    Cleveland frontline
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • Olde MaroonOlde Maroon Playing your old gear  539WRX Points: 212Handicap: PoorMembers Posts: 539 Golden Tee
    I don't think it's any more than you're sewing of the M5/6, F9, Epic Flash, etc. It just stands out if you are tuned into the putter market.

It's a new season of gear, so people buy, try, and figure out what works and what doesn't. Not everyone wants to or can try adequately before buying, so this is their process.
    Posted:

Ping G400 Max 9* Hzrdus Yellow HC/Callaway Epic 9* GD Tour AD TP
    Cobra F7 3-4w GD Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cobra F7 3h and 4h
    Mizuno JPX-919 Forged 5-PW Project X Catalyst 100cw 6.0
    Callaway MD4 50/54/58 Recoil 110 F4
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7 KBS CT Tour shaft and Evnroll Gravity Grip
    Callaway Chromesoft Truvis (for the look, because I'm a dork)

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NE 742WRX Points: 248Handicap: 12Members Posts: 742 Golden Tee
    Still evaluating my Stroke Lab One putter, but as of right now, I intend to put it in play.
    Posted:
  • freddiedavis65freddiedavis65 Gadsden, AL 82WRX Points: 19Handicap: 2.4Members Posts: 82 Fairways
    I tried out the 7s and had a hard time getting the ball to the hole. Left way too many lsg putts short. I'm sure I could learn to adjust but when I'm playing I want to play well and feel confident with my stick. Don't want to adjust my game for the stick.
    Posted:
  • ericthegoldericthegold Hell 79WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 79 Fairways
    I rolled one of the stroke lab putters at my local retail shop. Very plasticky feel on the face insert.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jtj74jtj74  841WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 841 Golden Tee
    Just like all the Scottys on the BST......
    Posted:
  • bcsquarebcsquare  294WRX Points: 46Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 294 Greens
    I rolled them around in the store as well. Not really a fan of the look; especially the wheel weights. The insert felt like mush IMO. I tried a similar O Works and it seemed firmer than the Stroke Lab.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5*, PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 3W 13.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 17.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Project X LZ 6.0
    Taylormade My Spider X
  • DavidvDavidv  1005WRX Points: 228Members Posts: 1,005 Platinum Tees
    Had the Stroke Lab Double Wide traded it for the Stroke Lab 1 better look to me, and all good better look, great feel.
    Posted:
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VA 3294WRX Points: 435Handicap: 8.2Members Posts: 3,294 Titanium Tees
    I'm seriously considering a #3. It felt great in the store. If I do get one I'll be doing my first ever paintfill work, I hate yellow!
    Posted:
    Sun Mountain 2.5+
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR-S Forged 5i
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 6-P
    Titleist SM6 52*F, 58*M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524  4607WRX Points: 434Handicap: 2.5ClubWRX Posts: 4,607 ClubWRX
    Rolled one last week in the store... Odyssey does make a nice feeling putter for the most part but I could not get past the looks, just a lot going on to my eye. They keep trying to reinvent the face, I kind of wish they would just stick with something for a little bit.
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD 10.5 Aldila Tour blue 65s
    Ping G400 14.5 Tour 75s
    Mizuno MP H4 3i Aldila NVS HYB 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB X100 AMT SS1x 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50.12, SM6 58.12
    TBD...

Advertisement
  • SlothofDespondSlothofDespond  53WRX Points: 37Members Posts: 53 Bunkers
    Nixhex524 wrote:

Rolled one last week in the store... Odyssey does make a nice feeling putter for the most part but I could not get past the looks, just a lot going on to my eye. They keep trying to reinvent the face, I kind of wish they would just stick with something for a little bit.

Odyssey design has gotten very “busy” in recent years. My old Dual Force and 1st generation White Hot are really clean looking putters. The lastest designs have lines and colors all over the place—which I personally find distracting.

Has the shaft seen much adoption on the Tour level? Having rolled it I’m kind leaning toward it as a nice option for some but certainly not for everyone. Going all in on it like Odyssey is doing feels like something they’ll back off in the future.
    Posted:
  • ZBUCKZBUCK Ghost  1522WRX Points: 120Handicap: 4ClubWRX Posts: 1,522 ClubWRX

Nixhex524 wrote:

Odyssey design has gotten very "busy" in recent years. My old Dual Force and 1st generation White Hot are really clean looking putters. The lastest designs have lines and colors all over the place—which I personally find distracting.

Has the shaft seen much adoption on the Tour level? Having rolled it I'm kind leaning toward it as a nice option for some but certainly not for everyone. Going all in on it like Odyssey is doing feels like something they'll back off in the future.

I have a theory that a lot of the tour players that are using the Stroke Lab shaft are just using a painted steel putter shaft with the Stroke Lab graphics on it.
    Posted:
    Instagram: @z.buck

CALLAWAY EPIC - 10.5° KIYOSHI PURPLE 65 X TITLEIST 915F - 21° / GD TOUR AD DJ 7 X TITLEIST 818 H1 - 23° / HZRDUS BLACK 85 X SRIXON Z745 5-PW / DG TOUR ISSUE S400 VOKEY SM7 50°F, 55°S / KBS 610 125 S+ CALLAWAY PM GRIND - 60° / KBS 610 125 S+ ODYSSEY PROTYPE BLACK 2-BALL
  • MattM97MattM97  869WRX Points: 373Members Posts: 869 Golden Tee
    ZBUCK wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

Odyssey design has gotten very "busy" in recent years. My old Dual Force and 1st generation White Hot are really clean looking putters. The lastest designs have lines and colors all over the place—which I personally find distracting.

Has the shaft seen much adoption on the Tour level? Having rolled it I'm kind leaning toward it as a nice option for some but certainly not for everyone. Going all in on it like Odyssey is doing feels like something they'll back off in the future.

I have a theory that a lot of the tour players that are using the Stroke Lab shaft are just using a painted steel putter shaft with the Stroke Lab graphics on it.

That's some tin foil hat level conspiracy there. I like that.
    Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan  668WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    scott19 wrote:

Am I just imagining this or are a lot of people dumping the new stroke lab putters? What's the consensus on these?

Odyssey has been crap for a while.
    Posted:
  • FerrisWyattFerrisWyatt  32WRX Points: 10Members Posts: 32 Bunkers
    ZBUCK wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised. Stuff like that happens in the NHL all the time. They paint or decal the sticks with the newest graphics to promote the new product but most players just use older model sticks they are used to and love.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • collindm1collindm1  173WRX Points: 80Members Posts: 173 Fairways
    Is it just me or does the stroke lab #1 sit a bit open? these just aren't game changers...not bad putters, just nothing to write home about imo.
    Posted:
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms  289WRX Points: 37Members Posts: 289 Greens
    Cant stand the cheap plastic feel plus the putters paint just falls off. There are a ton of returns on them at my local store. They had a great idea with the shaft but failed to execute it the right way and i think it will be a total flop.
    Posted:
  • swgolf12swgolf12  1060WRX Points: 205Members Posts: 1,060 Platinum Tees
    jtj74 wrote:

Just like all the Scottys on the BST......

Scotty putters have been out for over 20 years, has the stroke lab even been out 20 days?
    Posted:
    • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
    • 917F2 16.5* Diamana D+90
    • Vapor Fly Pro 3 Fuji Pro 95
    • VR Pro Combo 4-PW 
    • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
    • PM Grind 64
    • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T/ Cameron Catalina Two Welded Neck / Newport T22
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange County 2530WRX Points: 236Members Posts: 2,530 Titanium Tees

Cant stand the cheap plastic feel plus the putters paint just falls off. There are a ton of returns on them at my local store. They had a great idea with the shaft but failed to execute it the right way and i think it will be a total flop.

I’ve never been a big fan of counter balanced putters but i think odyssey did a good job with the stroke lab shaft. I do agree with the poster who said Odyssey keeps trying to reinvent the wheel with the insert when they should offer up the tour white hot, which everyone seems to love. I actually thought these were well made although I ended up returning my tuttle for the spider x because I liked the TM way better.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• Scotty1140Scotty1140  4788WRX Points: 458Members Posts: 4,788 Titanium Tees

What would be the right way to execute the shaft?

Not arguing, just curious.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • scoop79scoop79  186WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 186 Fairways
    I had a trial with a Strokelab Tuttle that lasted three holes. I’ve gained plenty of mallets over the years, and at 35” it was the correct length for me.

The grip felt terrible, feel off the face was horrible and distance control was not good. Not for me at all. Think it is one of these things that you will either absolutely love or hate with nothing in between.
    Posted:
  • poppman2142poppman2142  1197WRX Points: 167Members Posts: 1,197 Platinum Tees
    I thought they had a very plastic feel to them. I think the stroke lab shaft is good technology so I ended up ordering a Toulon Azalea with the stroke lab shaft.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5* with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist TS4 10.5* with GD XC6 stiff tipped 1/2" 
    Titleist TS2 16.5* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1"
    Titleist TS2 hybrid 19* with Tensei Pro White 90 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist 680 MB 4-9 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Vokey SM7 46,50,55,60 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Yes C Groove Callie tour issue Badds prototype long neck
    Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • freddiedavis65freddiedavis65 Gadsden, AL 82WRX Points: 19Handicap: 2.4Members Posts: 82 Fairways
    The feel to me was similar to the old Taylor made Nubbins
    Posted:
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4788WRX Points: 458Members Posts: 4,788 Titanium Tees
    Loved the feel. Couldn’t get along with the shaft. Too light. Felt whippy.
    Posted:
  • kleydejongkleydejong  155WRX Points: 41Members Posts: 155 Fairways
    Sometimes this is just a sign that people are club ho's.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Adams Pro 18* / 24*
    Maltby DBM 5-PW
    Maltby M-Series + 50*
    Maltby M-Series + 54*
    Mizuno S18 60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec Newport

Advertisement
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms  289WRX Points: 37Members Posts: 289 Greens
    Scotty1140 wrote:

What would be the right way to execute the shaft?

Not arguing, just curious.

I was hoping that it would be more like a stability shaft. To me it just feels weak and whippy. Edit: (just saw you comment on this after posting this) Interesting to see how they will hold up a year from now.
    Posted:
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty  1109WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 1,109 Platinum Tees
    I see a lot of "feels whippy" comments....what kinda swing speed do you guys generate with your putter??
    Posted:
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • MattM97MattM97  869WRX Points: 373Members Posts: 869 Golden Tee

I see a lot of "feels whippy" comments....what kinda swing speed do you guys generate with your putter??

105mph, trying to bump up that putter swing speed numbers.
    Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer

Advertisement
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18  2712WRX Points: 180Members Posts: 2,712 Titanium Tees
    I couldn’t get the ball to the hole either! The three rounds I played it I left a fair amount of putts short, on a course I play a lot! I just couldn’t get the feel of the putter...at all! There was one thing do he said...they were on my putting line better than before though.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.