Quick Pinehurst #2 Question

tacrispy

How hard is it to get a tee time on # 2, within the 24 hour window if you are not staying on the property? We are headed to the are to play as I mentioned in another post but staying off Pinehurst Property. We are leaving some flexibility in the schedule in case we can get a time on #2. It will be the M-Fri week of memorial day so I am sure it will be busy. What are our chances?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a holiday weekend I would guess pretty difficult. If you can break up into singles you would have a better chance.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I am always in Pinehurst the Thursday before through Memorial day...and its not busy in Pinehurst in general. I have never played #2 during that time but have stopped over there and it wasnt busy.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

As a single or twosome, there is some chance. As a foursome, it's longer odds, not impossible, but pretty unlikely. I've been in the pro shop many times, when a foursome walks in and asks about getting on No. 2. The reply is generally, "We can get you out on 1,4,6 or 8. Which would you like" :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Thanks for the replies the report said you can call the day before and try to get on the tee sheet for #2. We’re gonna try that each day even if we ha eve to move another course tee time around.

I know some have mixed reviews on #2 but i figure we need to try and play it if In the area for the week.

If you can't get on #2, then do yourself a favor and play #4. It's an amazing course that will close the gap on #2 at the resort. The US Amateur is being played on #2 and #4 this year.

I played #2 for the first time last April on Easter Sunday. I called up the Monday before and they gladly made a tee time for me and my buddy.

If you can't get on #2, then do yourself a favor and play #4. It's an amazing course that will close the gap on #2 at the resort. The US Amateur is being played on #2 and #4 this year.

I played #2 for the first time last April on Easter Sunday. I called up the Monday before and they gladly made a tee time for me and my buddy.

How would you compare #2 and #4? I know Hanse tried to make #4 in the same style Ross would have wanted much like the Coore and Crenshaw version of #2. I am guessing 4 is a lot like 2 just without the championships.

I find #4 more enjoyable than #2. Your first time on #2 is a little surreal and overwhelming, getting caught up in the history, design etc. where #4 seems more friendly if that makes any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense to me

way I describe it and what my buddies came to agree with is on No. 2 you get caught up in the history and legend of the course so your you know what puckers up, and it takes a couple of play throughs to get comfortable.

No.4 is just pure fun from start to finish where you can go out and have a great time from start to finish and just relax and enjoy, plus the finishing stretch on No.4 is just so much fun.

I find No.4 so enjoyable to play. Couple it with a breakfast biscuit sandwich from the 91st hole in the morning, a couple of loops on The Cradle followed by some beers/tots at the Duece, a putting comp on Thistle Dhu, and dinner/BBQ at the brewery you have my perfect day

Do you think Pinehurst is worth the price? I’m there for one day and golfing solo. I’ve made a tee time for Pine Needles for $155. Pinehurst #2 is $375. Is it worth the expense? I’d have to get lucky to get a time since I can make one until 24 hours before but I’m playing on a Wednesday afternoon so it’s possible.

As a single you should not have a problem getting a tee time on No. 2 especially on a Wednesday. If this will be one of the only times you will find yourself in Pinehurst it is hard to pass up the chance to play No. 2. I personally think it would be worth it. The course is outstanding and you cant beat the history/design surrounding the place.

Do you think Pinehurst is worth the price? I’m there for one day and golfing solo. I’ve made a tee time for Pine Needles for $155. Pinehurst #2 is $375. Is it worth the expense? I’d have to get lucky to get a time since I can make one until 24 hours before but I’m playing on a Wednesday afternoon so it’s possible.

Only you can decide what your money is worth. Don't stop at the greens fee, though, this is best enjoyed with a caddie, so there's another $100 roughly. If you just like playing golf on a really good golf course, maybe not. #2 is a fine course, one of the very best golf challenges anywhere, its not worth more than twice the cost of Pine Needles just on the basis of golf alone. You could play Pine Needles and Mid Pines back to back, and still have money left over for a nice dinner.. But if you like the history, like playing a course where you've seen the US Open played, like the idea of playing a course that Donald Ross lived on and adapted for decades, yes. I've played it a few times over the years, so obviously I think its worth the money.

Only you can decide what your money is worth. Don't stop at the greens fee, though, this is best enjoyed with a caddie, so there's another $100 roughly. If you just like playing golf on a really good golf course, maybe not. #2 is a fine course, one of the very best golf challenges anywhere, its not worth more than twice the cost of Pine Needles just on the basis of golf alone. You could play Pine Needles and Mid Pines back to back, and still have money left over for a nice dinner.. But if you like the history, like playing a course where you've seen the US Open played, like the idea of playing a course that Donald Ross lived on and adapted for decades, yes. I've played it a few times over the years, so obviously I think its worth the money.

Fully agree. I havent played Pine Needles. But I would say i like Mid Pines better than #2. So i would rather play PN and MP together vs #2.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Fully agree. I havent played Pine Needles. But I would say i like Mid Pines better than #2. So i would rather play PN and MP together vs #2.

And I like #2 way more than mid pines. I like pine needles more than mid pines to though, but probably need to play pine needles a few more times to really make that call.

Lot of opinions on how they rank.

Agree really depends on you. But if it’s one round I’m going to play 2. Many great courses in the country like mid pines. But only a few that have hosted multiple US Opens.

Do you think Pinehurst is worth the price? I'm there for one day and golfing solo. I've made a tee time for Pine Needles for $155. Pinehurst #2 is $375. Is it worth the expense? I'd have to get lucky to get a time since I can make one until 24 hours before but I'm playing on a Wednesday afternoon so it's possible.

And I like #2 way more than mid pines. I like pine needles more than mid pines to though, but probably need to play pine needles a few more times to really make that call.

Lot of opinions on how they rank.

Agree really depends on you. But if it's one round I'm going to play 2. Many great courses in the country like mid pines. But only a few that have hosted multiple US Opens.

I'm in the same camp. I get to Pinehurst every year, many time twice a year, and I have friends who are members at Pinehurst. I play MidPines every year, play #2 maybe once every 5 years. #2 is a great course, but the history makes it a very special course as well.

#2 over MP by a landslide. #2 is just a BIG golf course that you can pretty much breathe easy off the tee but every other shot puts immense pressure on your game. It's probably the most mentally challenging course I've ever played from start to finish. If you blink on any approach you could be in for a big number. Yet the course rewards pretty much every shot that is average+ & above.

MP is a fantastic track and much nicer walk, the land it is on is stunning. Very little pressure on your game. I'd say it's tougher off the tee than #2, but much easier on the way in. The two courses IMO couldn't be more different.

After locking horns with #2, you feel like you've been in a prizefight. MP is like a sparring session.

That being said, if you are willing to fork over the $, do #2 with a caddie. You can get by without one, but they are def helpful for the first time through.