Careers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to see what this next years brings. I want to go to college and move onto Med School after that. My mom sees how much I really enjoy the game, and she said if I wanted to give the tour a shot, I can. Like I said, we'll see this year, depending on if I can lower my handicap, which it seems like I can. I'll play in more tournys this year and the summer after, then go to college. I might try and qualify for Q school over summer breaks, and after I'm out of school and an MD!

I thought about being a pro, but golf to me is a past-time, not a job (unless I make it to the PGA, but I want to be there not for the money, but for just being there. If I got nothing, and played a season on the Tour, I'd walk away happy). If I make it a job, it will no longer be anyfun. I was talking with my club pro, and I brought up the idea of being a pro, and he told me it's not all it's cracked up to be (except for acess to every course in the country, for free!). That's just one person, but my parents thought the same thing. So, I want to keep golf fun my whole life. Resort management would be fun, but I ain't the business type: there is no negotiating with me! :cheesy:

Of course, like any junior on this board it is to be a touring professional. I am going to set the bar high and do everything I can do to get there. The Hooters tour would be good to start out on, and then after a few years of that, see where I am, and then go to Q-School, drop my 4-5 grand, and hopefully hit that number to be exempt on the NW or even better the PGA Tour. I don't want to be a head pro at a club, i've been around that job, and a guy who is pretty much my 2nd father is a head pro, and it's really not something I would want to do. He transferred to be the Head Teaching Pro at a Golf School in New Hampshire (he is a Professional Skiier in the Winter) and he said that he is much happier there, so that could be something to look into if all else fails.

Defenitely want to play college golf for a decent school, and get a few degrees for a means of a back up plan if the professional golf career does not work out. To tell you the truth, the one thing that I want to be, is happy with what I am doing, and I see that in a golf related job - especially being a touring professional, that would be the ultimate job, but of course there are many more jobs in the feild that would be pretty fun aswell.

Cheers and good luck to all my other brothers who have dreams of making it big!

- Bryan

Option one is a pro athlete of some kind, I'm decent at golf and am pretty good at baseball. I can throw low 80's and throw a good, hard slider. (I'm also only 15 so I've got time) My back up plan is to go into club design (making club ho's drool) or marketing (making club ho's drool some more). I don't think I could be a pro though, I am not patient and just don't think that the money or passion is there. I couldn't stand to see some body who isn't golf crazy try to learn uncommittedly.

I would love to be a pro on the LPGA tour. Since last year, I've learned that golf for me can still be "fun" if not more, while competing. I don't think I could pull a Paula Creamer and go pro straight out of highschool so college golf is something that I really want to do. Golfing for my highschool has been fun but the only fun thing about it for me is the actual golf. Where I live, the politics around the whole team are just totally bizzare so going away to college and being on a team with girls from all around the world is something that I really want to experience. Being a pro, golfing all around the world, meeting new people, and getting free stuff... sounds absolutely AMAZING to me and it is something that I could imagine myself doing until I can't do it anymore!

Like everyone on this board I would love to be a touring pro but my main goal at the moment is trying to become a professional basketballer. I just made my local ABA team which is the second highest league in Australia and im only 16 so hopefully i can get to america in the next couple of year and play college ball over there and then try my luck with the NBA.

If all that fails I want to go to med school and try become a docter of some kind but sport is my 1st love.

Im also a poker player so if all else fails I will try join the world poker tour lol.

Brent

I want to be a teacher. I'm heading to university next year to do a degree in history and hopefully teach that. It would be great to be a golf professional but it is so hard to make the grade in the modern world, you need be super good. These guys who are near the top of the world were playing off +3 to +6 before turning pro.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

i dont want to become a club pro or a low end tour pro because theres no money in it.you dont often hear about the guys sleeping in their cars before events and just trying to cover their expenses for the week by winning a grand or so.want to do medicine or pharmacy and play top amateur golf, like the south of ireland in ireland which is like the us amatuer in the us

obviously id like to play on the PGA tour, im still gunna try hard to get there, but you gotta have a back up.

a teacher would be good because with the summer off i could play every amature event in sight. id also be able to coach the golf team (highschool) which id like.

another thing would be a club pro, that be fun and id try and hook up the jr's

Ok Let's be a bit more realistic...No offense and not dampering any juniors hopes but...PGA Tour is probably the hardest professional sport to "make".

Just think of the Talent that plays Div-1 golf in the USA....I'll say maybe 1/25 College players make A MAJOR professional golf tour.

If you turn 18, and are not recruited or playing for a Div-1 school...you got a slim hope for the PGA tour.

Now I'll be honest I've never seen any of you play, but I'm doubting anyone here will make the PGA Tour...

For example.................In my PGM Class there is a golfer who didn't even play junior events as a junior because he smoked the whole field. He recently finished 2nd at the Canadian College Championships overall with I believe a 67-70-71 from the tips which was about 6900 yards give or take. He couldnt even come close to Canadian Tour qualifying last year and he is by far the best golfer I've ever played with.

Basically What im trying to say in this post is don't go for an unrealistic goal....PGA Tour, Owning a Course, etc.

Or if you are going to try to make the Tour at least have a backup plan dont go out with the mentality that your the best and nothing will stop you!!

It looks like most of you have the smarts to have backup plans, but just think realistically what it costs to just TRY and make the tour.

I've seen too many people I know fail, great golfers too, because they thought at 19 with a +2 handicap they were invincible.

I'm not trying to say dont go for your goals in this post though, just realize what it takes to become a successful player is all.

good luck!!!

Also do some research on what it takes to do what you want to do. Like realize you dont just show up on a course and say "I wanna teach gimmie a job".

There are many steps and seminars, playing ability tests, general golf tests, exams, etc. you have to write and attend before becoming a pro.

It takes alot of hard work and knowledge about not only golf but the swing fundamentals, rules, etc.

Just dont think because you can score, you can become a teacher!!

Ok Let's be a bit more realistic...No offense and not dampering any juniors hopes but...PGA Tour is probably the hardest professional sport to "make".

Just think of the Talent that plays Div-1 golf in the USA....I'll say maybe 1/25 College players make A MAJOR professional golf tour.

If you turn 18, and are not recruited or playing for a Div-1 school...you got a slim hope for the PGA tour.

Now I'll be honest I've never seen any of you play, but I'm doubting anyone here will make the PGA Tour...

For example.................In my PGM Class there is a golfer who didn't even play junior events as a junior because he smoked the whole field. He recently finished 2nd at the Canadian College Championships overall with I believe a 67-70-71 from the tips which was about 6900 yards give or take. He couldnt even come close to Canadian Tour qualifying last year and he is by far the best golfer I've ever played with.

Basically What im trying to say in this post is don't go for an unrealistic goal....PGA Tour, Owning a Course, etc.

Or if you are going to try to make the Tour at least have a backup plan dont go out with the mentality that your the best and nothing will stop you!!

It looks like most of you have the smarts to have backup plans, but just think realistically what it costs to just TRY and make the tour.

I've seen too many people I know fail, great golfers too, because they thought at 19 with a +2 handicap they were invincible.

I'm not trying to say dont go for your goals in this post though, just realize what it takes to become a successful player is all.

good luck!!!

Thanks MatucH for your refreshing realism! You took the words out of my mouth... :cheesy:

I disagree. Look at a guy like Olin Browne, didn't play D1 college golf payed his dues and now he is living his dream. Tom Pernice Jr. Was the fifth man on his UCLA golf team and couldn't break an egg, again he payed his dues, and is also living his dream. Chase what your after, because in order to achieve a dream you have to have complete focus on what you're trying to achieve. Don't let some some 1/25 ratio sway you from not chasing your dreams. Be that 1/25, because the other 24 don't want it bad enough, and give up.

"If you work hard enough and what it bad enough, you can achieve it"

Trevino

Croonie

I disagree. Look at a guy like Olin Browne, didn't play D1 college golf payed his dues and now he is living his dream. Tom Pernice Jr. Was the fifth man on his UCLA golf team and couldn't break an egg, again he payed his dues, and is also living his dream. Chase what your after, because in order to achieve a dream you have to have complete focus on what you're trying to achieve. Don't let some some 1/25 ratio sway you from not chasing your dreams. Be that 1/25, because the other 24 don't want it bad enough, and give up.

"If you work hard enough and what it bad enough, you can achieve it"

Trevino

Croonie

I totally agree with you. Its good to set your goals high. Stay focused and you can achieve them!

I'm sorry I just disagree with that. I had the same goals when I was 14, 15, 16 and just realized that I'm not good enough. I was a 3ish handicap at 18 and couldnt get a Div-1 scholarship and only had 2 div-2 offers.

You have to realize you can't spend 10 hours a day practicing and have no job. Tournaments cost money to enter...Q school cost what $10,000 to just enter!!

You have to pay your way into alot of events and actually place in order to continue or find someone who will back you in them. If an event has a $1000 entry, and your games on a cold steak, you MC in 5 events thats $5000 out of your pocket GONE! with NOTHING to show for it.

Just realize you dont walk up to tournaments and play...you gotta be prepared to live in your car, work 12 hour shifts as a waiter, etc. in order to succeed.

Just wait a few years and you'll realize how hard it is to make it as a player. If you love golf, try to get a job as a head pro or teacher.

Just think 125 players make the PGA tour every year?

75 are locks year in year out, 30 from Q-School..20 from Nationwide......so you have to either go through grueling Qschool or succeed on the Nationwide Tour.

and I know many people who have tried Q-School and it sounds like a dogfight, figthing for your life!

10k gone if you lose....just giving y'all young'ns a reality check thats all