ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Distance

leezer99leezer99 Advanced Members Posts: 893 ✭✭
2019 US Junior Amateur will be held this year at the Inverness Club (elevation 614'). What got to me was the distance these under 18 kids are playing... 7,408 yards/Par 71 with a course rating of 76.8 / 151.

2020 is at Hazeltine which comes in at 7,600+ from the tips.

2021 is at the Country Club of North Carolina which has two courses that tip out at 7,200 - 7,300 yards.

Now, I don't know really anything about any of these courses but it seems like any player hoping to make the match play bracket needs to be long off the tee and probably be able to putt well on difficult green complexes. How does anyone even practice playing these distances when most of your publicly accessible courses top out in the 6,800 range? Do you lay up off the tee leaving yourself long iron shots into greens? I'm just so confused on how you would expect to play well in this type of environment when it's such a narrow reflection of what is out there.
Tagged:

Comments

• yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    I would guess true setup will play 6800-7000. They move tee boxes around. But yes, as always, longer hitters will have an advantage.
  • wlmwlm Members Posts: 74 ✭✭
    They don't move the tee boxes around that much. I would expect the course to play true to the listed yardage, with a possible (very occasional) tee box change for variety or to bring in a risk/reward. It is a national championship after all, it should be long and hard.
    I would be shocked if Hazeltine played at 7600+ for the junior am.
  • wlmwlm Members Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited February 26
    Those aren't posted yardages for Hazeltine yet, but overall course length from the tips, right? I would agree that they are not likely to play Hazeltine at 7600 yards, but I also don't think it will be in the 6800-7000 range. It should be pretty long though.
    Yes - 6800 would be light. 6900-7200 sounds right.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Advanced Members Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    edited February 26
    Juniors will not be playing at 7,400 yards.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 8,747

I would be shocked if Hazeltine played at 7600+ for the junior am.

7,600 is still short by wrx standards. Keep that in mind.
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Advanced Members Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    I've also been shocked at the length of courses when my son has completed locally. You see these scrawny 100 pounds kids playing off tees most of my buddies couldn't realistically play. Go figure...
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Srixon Z Star & Snell MTB Black
    Alesian Space Dust IPA
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 59

I've also been shocked at the length of courses when my son has completed locally. You see these scrawny 100 pounds kids playing off tees most of my buddies couldn't realistically play. Go figure...

Agreed. I was looking at our local course for a Hurricane event. Advertised distance is over 6800. I was thinking if I played that's 105 for sure.
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX