ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

2019 HSBC Women's World Championship Feb 28 - Mar 03

Argonne69Argonne69 Advanced Members Posts: 19,655 ✭✭
  • Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points
  • Format: 72 holes
  • Purse: $1,500,000
  • Par: 72
  • Yardage: 6,718
  • History: This is the 12th year for the event. In 2018, [background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Michelle Wie singed the course with a closing-round 65 on Sunday to win the tournament by one stroke over Nelly Korda, Danielle Kang, Brooke Henderson and Jenny Shin[/background].

Coverage:
  • Feb 27: Golf Channel 10:30 pm - 2:30 am (ET)
  • Feb 28: Golf Channel 10:30 pm - 2:30 am (ET)
  • Mar 01: Golf Channel 11:30 pm - 2:30 am (ET)
  • Mar 02: Golf Channel 10:30 pm - 2:30 am (ET)

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Advanced Members Posts: 19,655 ✭✭
    Another strong field this week with only two players in the World Top 20 sitting out, Jessica and Lucky 6. I could have sworn I saw that Lucky 6 was playing this week. The weather forecast looks very similar to last week's weather in Thailand, temps in the low 90's, heat index over 100F, and winds from 10 to 18 mph.

Coverage is decent. 'Not sure why we're getting an extra hour on The Golf Channel on Saturday, but I'll take it.

Another very tough week to pick a winner. Dare I go with Jenny Shin? She finished 2T here last year, and played solid last week. Danielle, Brooke, and Nelly also finished 2T last year, and had solid weeks. Amy had a top 10 last year. Ugh, so many choices. I'm going to go with Minjee. She played solid last week, and finished 6T here last week. My dark horse pick is Inbee, who won here in 2017 and 2015. As we saw at the 2016 Olympics, she's more than capable of showing up after an extended break and sinking putts.
  • 18majors18majors Advanced Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

Another strong field this week with only two players in the World Top 20 sitting out, Jessica and Lucky 6. I could have sworn I saw that Lucky 6 was playing this week. The weather forecast looks very similar to last week's weather in Thailand, temps in the low 90's, heat index over 100F, and winds from 10 to 18 mph.

Coverage is decent. 'Not sure why we're getting an extra hour on The Golf Channel on Saturday, but I'll take it.

Another very tough week to pick a winner. Dare I go with Jenny Shin? She finished 2T here last year, and played solid last week. Danielle, Brooke, and Nelly also finished 2T last year, and had solid weeks. Amy had a top 10 last year. Ugh, so many choices. I'm going to go with Minjee. She played solid last week, and finished 6T here last week. My dark horse pick is Inbee, who won here in 2017 and 2015. As we saw at the 2016 Olympics, she's more than capable of showing up after an extended break and sinking putts.

Lucky 6 is teeing off #1 at 9:14 AM with Mi Hyang Lee and Chella Choi.

http://www.lpga.com/leaderboard
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Fighting! Advanced Members Posts: 4,423 ✭✭
    I am relieved that Inbee is teeing it up. Despite somehow still being a top-5 ranked player, she is like a ghost these days. And I am the only one who is noticing any of this.
    Yeah, I just saw that Lucky 6 is in the field.

I agree, Inbee is basically invisible. It doesn't help that she hasn't played since the Evian in September. We should see her on a regular basis through the USWO.
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Fighting! Advanced Members Posts: 4,423 ✭✭
    Weird how the greatest player of her generation can so easily fly under the radar.

Weird how the greatest player of her generation can so easily fly under the radar.

There's so much emphasis on youth. This is especially true with the LPGA. At first glance I thought Inbee had a so-so 2018, with two missed cuts at the WBO and KPMG. However, she also had three top 10's a the other three majors, including the 2T at the ANA. She also won the Bank of Hope, and finished 2T at the Hugel-JTBC. 'Not a bad season for a part time player.

Inbee doesn't go out of her way to promote herself. So many players are active on social media, and she only shows up in other players' feeds it seems. 'Nothing wrong with that.
  • StoochStooch Advanced Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    edited February 26
    Nice that will get to see Imbee and Gerina back in action for this one, don't expect much from either but I also won't be shocked if Imbee does Imbee things and wins it.

I'm going with Brooke this week, she's played the event 3 times and has 3 top 10's and each year she has bettered her score and finishing position. For lack of a better term I'm betting the trend, that she will improve her score again this year and her placement which only leaves 1st place image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I (we) get spoiled with a great young gun pairing to start it out also, Nelly, Nasa and Brooke should be a fun pairing. I think it will be great for Nasa too, should help her get out of her funk also, she gonna have to up her game to keep up with Nelly and Brooke.
    Argonne69 wrote:

It actually looks like we lose a hour on Saturday, Sat coverage starts at 11:30 and all 3 of the other days it starts at 10:30
    Doh! Wow, my brain is missing gears this morning. I blame the cold weather.
  • WestTexWestTex Advanced Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Another early back nine start time for In Gee. I have no idea how it works with the LPGA on setting the start times and holes, but it seems In Gee is always an afterthought. At first I thought maybe it's her current performance, but there are others with less accolades starting on the front nine in more watchable times. Then I thought maybe they're going for who has the most crowds, but certainly In Gee has a good draw regardless?

I don't know, anyone have thoughts on this? I know sometimes the players prefer earlier times due to greens running faster in the pm and the heat, but it seems like a slight to my beloved Dumbo. No offense to Charley Hull (who I will never look at the same because of this "incident"), or Catriona Matthew, but they're not exactly world-beaters in golf right now (neither is In Gee, I know, but her fan base is by comparison).

I want Nasa for the win.
  • agolf1agolf1 Advanced Members Posts: 536 ✭✭
    WestTex wrote:

Another early back nine start time for In Gee. I have no idea how it works with the LPGA on setting the start times and holes, but it seems In Gee is always an afterthought. At first I thought maybe it's her current performance, but there are others with less accolades starting on the front nine in more watchable times. Then I thought maybe they're going for who has the most crowds, but certainly In Gee has a good draw regardless?

I don't know, anyone have thoughts on this? I know sometimes the players prefer earlier times due to greens running faster in the pm and the heat, but it seems like a slight to my beloved Dumbo. No offense to Charley Hull (who I will never look at the same because of this "incident"), or Catriona Matthew, but they're not exactly world-beaters in golf right now (neither is In Gee, I know, but her fan base is by comparison).

I want Nasa for the win.

Yeah, there are some good pairings, but some of the top (or more popular) players got left out. Particularly, Ingee and Wie (I know her play is not always up to her draw/following but being the defending champ here you'd think she get a better pairing. Heck, put her with Muni to create a big following). I think putting Chun with Lydia for either of Shanshan or Sei Young would have been good (hope this doesn't offend anyone).

Personally, I would have like to seen So Yeon, Chun, and Minjee all paired together. Some of the better swings, and ball flights that I can relate to.
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Advanced Members Posts: 895 ✭✭
    I`m going with Carlota for the W. I look for Ariya and So Yeon to right the ship this week. My gut is telling me the winner is gonna be someone nobody is really eyeing up. I`ll go with Austin Ernst as my sleeper, why not. Good luck on the guessing everyone!
  • Seamus McDuffSeamus McDuff Advanced Members Posts: 845 ✭✭
    I don’t see a problem with the pairings. The last six groups off the 1st hole are made of the top 18 ranked players who are playing, almost in exact order. When Hull and In Gee get to the front nine they’ll be right behind Ariya, SHP, and Minjee.
  • ClairefromClareClairefromClare Advanced Members Posts: 414
    Stooch wrote:

Nice that will get to see Imbee and Gerina back in action for this one, don't expect much from either but I also won't be shocked if Imbee does Imbee things and wins it.

I'm going with Brooke this week, she's played the event 3 times and has 3 top 10's and each year she has bettered her score and finishing position. For lack of a better term I'm betting the trend, that she will improve her score again this year and her placement which only leaves 1st place image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I (we) get spoiled with a great young gun pairing to start it out also, Nelly, Nasa and Brooke should be a fun pairing. I think it will be great for Nasa too, should help her get out of her funk also, she gonna have to up her game to keep up with Nelly and Brooke.

I love it when Inbee does Inbee things (h/t Jerry Foltz).

Carlota or Minjee for the win. Amy Olson as my dark horse--she's got something to prove after that backstop nonsense. Though the way she's been playing lately, it's not so much of a dark horse.
  • postfoldpostfold oh how I LOVE putting Advanced Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    If she managed to find some Imodium I'm going with Danielle Kang this week. I think Brooke is another strong pick. And as always I'll be rooting for So Yeon and In Gee.
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges Advanced Members Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Initially no one really stood out as a good pick to me, but I'm going with the Eun's.

Jeong Eun Lee6 for the win(I didn't realize this, but she's played in 9 total LPGA events and finished in the top 20 in 7 of those 9 events. Top 10 in 3 of those 9).

Eun-Hee Ji to be in contention again.

Jeong Eun Lee5 earns another top 10 at this event.
  • Raving ShankerRaving Shanker Advanced Members Posts: 264 ✭✭

Initially no one really stood out as a good pick to me, but I'm going with the Eun's.

Jeong Eun Lee6 for the win(I didn't realize this, but she's played in 9 total LPGA events and finished in the top 20 in 7 of those 9 events. Top 10 in 3 of those 9).

Eun-Hee Ji to be in contention again.

Jeong Eun Lee5 earns another top 10 at this event.

Jeong Eun Lee (No. 5) deserves a bit of love too!
    Yeah, Lucky 6 has flown under the radar for the most part. She was in contention at the 2017 USWO, but was overshadowed by the amateur Hye Jin Choi, who was one rinsed shot away from the win. Lucky 6 finished 5T. Two of her top 10's have been in majors, with the 2nd one being a 6T at last year's Evian.
    In Gee Chun warming up
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Seems tough out there today, of 21 players that have started the round so far I see quite a few bogeys and only 1 birdie between them.
    Stooch wrote:

Seems tough out there today, of 21 players that have started the round so far I see quite a few bogeys and only 1 birdie between them.

Chun's birdie was a hybrid 2nd shot on 11 to 10 feet or so. This hole's tee markers are back a bit today. More like 380 meters.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    agolf1 wrote:

Stooch wrote:

Chun's birdie was a hybrid 2nd shot on 11 to 10 feet or so. This hole's tee markers are back a bit today. More like 380 meters.

So Yeon Ryu just stuffed one to tap in range on #1!
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • hebsanhebsan Advanced Members Posts: 835 ✭✭
    Wie already at +8 after 9.
    Sounds like Michelle Wie is hurt again, that too bad for her
    SHP just played out of a bunker. Ariyia was in the same bunker and asked SHP to mark her ball that was about pinhigh, 5 feet left of the hole but inline to water hazard on the other side of the green. Seemed like minimal chance balls ever hit but taking more caution this time I guess 🤣🤣🤣
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ryu just hit her second shot on par 5 into a hazard. She walked up to try and find it/play it. Ball was found but couldnt play so now walking back 200+ yards. Her second shot must have crossed no more than 30-50 yards from where she originally hit. Quite slow...
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • jmvargasjmvargas Advanced Members Posts: 6,035 ✭✭
    most of these ladies are really good bunker players!!
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
    'Looks like Michelle has WD'd. Sei Young and Amy Yang have also withdrawn.

Jenny at +5, and Brooke at +3. Wow, what a difference a week makes.

I'm not shocked to see Celine, Yu, Amy Olson, and Minjee at the top of the leaderboard. They're each continuing their recent strong play. I'm a little surprised to see Ariya up there, but there was no way she was going to go unnoticed for long.

Inbee doing Inbee things, lurking.
    Argonne69 wrote:

'Looks like Michelle has WD'd. Sei Young and Amy Yang have also withdrawn.

Jenny at +5, and Brooke at +3. Wow, what a difference a week makes.

I'm not shocked to see Celine, Yu, Amy Olson, and Minjee at the top of the leaderboard. They're each continuing their recent strong play. I'm a little surprised to see Ariya up there, but there was no way she was going to go unnoticed for long.

Inbee doing Inbee things, lurking.

Ryu's round was also disappointing. She birdied #1 and had good looks on #2-#4 (all sub-15 feet).

Lydia also not doing much.

Minjee's full swing shots are really impressive. She picked up a few shots again (chipped in and dropped some longer putts) but she also failed to get up and down from the fairway/basic pitch on two par 5s and burned the edge on a couple 10 footers or so. Hope she can play well again tomorrow.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 25,009 ClubWRX
    InBee is most certainly doing InBee things. What a shame for Wiesy to WD. Evidently she was struggling mightily to play with the injury. What a setback after surgery and everything.

I know we keep saying it, but if Ariya can just figure out how to use a driver...it wouldn't even be a fair fight most of the time.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    Very tight at the top, well makes it easy when your pick to win is out of the tournament after one round (not injured, just at the bottom of the leaderboard). Maybe Brooke and So Yeon Ryu can find things to talk about and keep them interested during their round together, cause they both won't have to grind going for the win lol. I would say Brooke played terribly but when you are +4 on the Par 5's, you didn't play bad, you played stupid. lol So now I make the switch and will be pulling for YU Liu, I really like the look of her game and have always had a soft spot for the bombers image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Lots of withdrawals from this one, although Michelle is the only one that seems to have an injury rather than illness. That's really too bad and it sounds like it's the wrist again. I wish her the best but not a good sign when the wrist keeps breakdown her.
    Ariya is currently ranked 100th in driving accuracy, hitting only 66.5% of her fairways. Seriously, I don't see how she could do much worse with a driver. Heck, take a TaylorMade M5 driver, set the club face to open, slide the two weights out to the toe, and then add 10g of lead weight on the toe. It's not going to want to go left.
  • ShilgyShilgy Advanced Members Posts: 11,113 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

Ariya is currently ranked 100th in driving accuracy, hitting only 66.5% of her fairways. Seriously, I don't see how she could do much worse with a driver. Heck, take a TaylorMade M5 driver, set the club face to open, slide the two weights out to the toe, and then add 10g of lead weight on the toe. It's not going to want to go left.
    It might not want to but would still be easy to miss left. A good player will feel the face hanging open and flip it shut.
    PING G400 LST Alta CB 55s
    TM M1 3w 14* Graphite Design BB7s
    TM M2 5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
    Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
    Srixon Z585 5 & 6 Nippon Pro Modus 125S
    Srixon Z785 7-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
    Vokey SZM7 50°
    Cleveland RTX4 S400TI raw 56° & 60°
    Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • jdm22jdm22 Members Posts: 10
    Boutier is on a roll.
    Argonne69 wrote:

We don't know her shot dispersion with the driver, but I'm thinking it's gotta be really bad lol. Most likely a mental thing, that results in a self fulfilling prophecy, she thinks she can't hit it straight and she never does. If Ariya can get the Driver working, I say try the PGA, I'm pretty sure that gives her the length to compete with the boys .............. I'm betting she's longer than Jordan Speith lol
  • scottc25scottc25 Advanced Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    I have a general LPGA question. I know sponsor invites to not receive CME points but do they get official money? Guessing no????
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 25,009 ClubWRX
    Yes, as long as they're not an Am, they'll get official money.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • 18majors18majors Advanced Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
    scottc25 wrote:

I have a general LPGA question. I know sponsor invites to not receive CME points but do they get official money? Guessing no????

Muni He was a sponsor invite at Honda LPGA Thailand last week; she earned $7,218 but her official money is still 0.

Sponsor invites earn official money on full field events with cuts, but not on no cut events.
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Advanced Members Posts: 895 ✭✭
    Stooch wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

We don't know her shot dispersion with the driver, but I'm thinking it's gotta be really bad lol. Most likely a mental thing, that results in a self fulfilling prophecy, she thinks she can't hit it straight and she never does. If Ariya can get the Driver working, I say try the PGA, I'm pretty sure that gives her the length to compete with the boys .............. I'm betting she's longer than Jordan Speith lol

Just aim way right and let it rip!
    It really saddens me to see Michelle struggle with injury. She simply can't seem to catch a break.
    Stooch wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

The few holes I saw yesterday Ariya was usually about equal with Minjee's driver (both were a bit behind SHP). I also watched the Ryu/Park/Lexi group a bit, and there were a few holes were Lexi was miles down past Ryu (who is similar to/probably a bit shorter than Minjee). If Ariya could play from where Lexi is driving it that would be crazy.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Argonne69 wrote:

It really saddens me to see Michelle struggle with injury. She simply can't seem to catch a break.

Agree. I never really been a huge fan of hers but it's always good for the game when the "stars" (or in this case most popular) get hot. I was hoping she could have a good couple/few years stretch in what would likely be to close it out, but now just playing again at a decent level may be all we can ask for.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
  • ppl4golfppl4golf Advanced Members Posts: 1,064 ✭✭
    agolf1 wrote:

Stooch wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

The few holes I saw yesterday Ariya was usually about equal with Minjee's driver (both were a bit behind SHP). I also watched the Ryu/Park/Lexi group a bit, and there were a few holes were Lexi was miles down past Ryu (who is similar to/probably a bit shorter than Minjee). If Ariya could play from where Lexi is driving it that would be crazy.

Yeah...on 18

SHPark 285

Ariya 265

MinJee 240ish (not sure what club MinJee hit but hole was long and had to be her driver.

Guess who made bogey??😆
    All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
    3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
    3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
    4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
    5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
    Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
    Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade
    ppl4golf wrote:

agolf1 wrote:

Stooch wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

Yeah...on 18

SHPark 285

Ariya 265

MinJee 240ish (not sure what club MinJee hit but hole was long and had to be her driver.

Guess who made bogey??��

I didn't see these tee shots and know SHP made bogey. Obviously you still need to play the rest of the hole but I'm pretty sure hitting 10-20 yards farther is an advantage for just about everyone of the course of a season.

The amount of speed SHP generates is impressive given how controlled her swing is. All are great players, but watching Lexi, Ariya, and Brooke swing are a bit different - their tempo and moves really make it look like they are going after it.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Oy veh. Anyone else notice that the broadcast had a picture of Mirim Lee in place of Minjee when they were showing the feature groups for the first round?
    Argonne69 wrote:

Oy veh. Anyone else notice that the broadcast had a picture of Mirim Lee in place of Minjee when they were showing the feature groups for the first round?

Lol no I didn't, but hey it's actually nice the LPGA is giving Mirim a little exposure image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • rama5rama5 Advanced Members Posts: 383
    doesn't the LPGA have rules about shouting over 80? I recall Wie ended a round years ago with "injury" while en-route to a 80 plus score. Could this be a similar situation? pardon my ignorance
    edited February 28
    rama5 wrote:

doesn't the LPGA have rules about shouting over 80? I recall Wie ended a round years ago with "injury" while en-route to a 80 plus score. Could this be a similar situation? pardon my ignorance

Not sure if the rule still applies, but I think rule is/was for non- members. If I recall correctly it was when Michelle wasn't a member yet.

And if I remember the rule correctly it states you can't get more sponsor exemption if you shoot over 80, cause plenty of LPGA pro's shot over 80 lol
    Is there a specific reason why the LPGA re-groups players after round 1 vs having players play the opposite side of the draw for the first two rounds (PGA)?

At Sentosa, I'm sure the greens got marginally firmer as the day went on (typical) and the wind also seemed to kick up a bit.

Over the season, not sure if it really matters either way (at least most of time). There is always some luck in the weather and day to day conditions.
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    edited February 28
    In limited field events with no cut they regroup. It makes for better TV in general with the leaders in the final groups.

'Interesting to see So Yeon take a practice swing in the penalty area on the 8th. That was a major rule change this year, and smart on her part. After failing to hack through the vegetation, she wisely choose a better option for her next shot.

Yeah, the over 80 rule applies to nonmembers only.