Early Morning or Late Afternoon Rounds?

Comments

• Early mornings. It's just way too hot by late afternoon where I'm at in CA. The temperature reaches 100 by around 12. I tend to enjoy the game less as the temperature increases.
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,674 ✭✭
    Early morning so I can play again in the afternoon if I want to.
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Pre-kids days I liked the afternoons. I'm awake and pretty loose. Just short of 10 years ago I switched to the dew sweeper times so I wouldn't be gone most of the day or afternoon\evening. Now 41 with two kids I'll play anytime I get invited basically.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Scratch                   56/06 - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,398 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 28, 2019 8:14am #35
    If the greens are soaked with dew I really don't enjoy early morning golf and getting out at 5:45-7:00 a.m. just to get a round in doesn't have the appeal it used to have for me. Our group will generally tee off a little later in the morning, other things to do first thing on Saturdays and Sundays than worry about being first off, including a little warming up in my advancing years. Exception is usually the 4th of July if actually playing on the day, or if the course will be closed for an event later in the morning or the day, or if someone asks because that's when they need to go that particular day.

Weekends 10 a.m. -11:00 a.m. usually tee off, may play 18, often play more. Weekdays usually teeing off by 5:30 p.m.

My absolute favorite times to be out are evenings on a course that isn't busy. Happy to be with a group, but it's also my favorite time if by myself.
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,507 ✭✭
    Early morning when playing with friends and late afternoon when playing alone and working on my swing. Pretty nice watching the sunset too
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭
    Saturday Sunday we are first off.... During the week I like to play 2:45 prior to sunset as I usually am on my own & can again get a quick 18, listen to podcasts and enjoy myself.

Started last year doing the first tee off too once during the week when possible & play 9 with the group and then usually off on my own on the back and again done in 2:30ish.... Back in the car and work calls and catching up before 10:00 am.....
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Late afternoon is my JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
  • TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Golf
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited Mar 2, 2019 9:45am #40
    Early morning while the greens are still smooth and dont have spike marks all over em.
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    I LOVE early mornings. But at nearly 50 i'm better for golf in the evenings when i've had a chance to loosen up.

To be fair evenings in the UK when the wind has died down quite often are a great time to be alive and play golf too........
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    RIFE Iconic Tour Vault 3 : Flow-Neck - 340g / 34.75"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭
    Charlotte NC it literally gets hotter from morning until 6 pm, there is no relief from heat in the afternoon

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    My wife prefers to send me out on cold rainy days. Now that we have a 3 year old most sunny days are spent with her (as it should be). But, I now come to view rainy days as my golf days- lol! Bonus is I have great rain gear and the courses are usually pretty empty. So to conclude early or late is fine as long as it's raining- lol!
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM5 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Cameron Newport 1.5
    TP5X/ProV1X
    Jones Player 003/ Jones Utility Trouper
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭
    For me, it has got to be late afternoon although that said, evening is even better. Beauty of living in the North of Scotland is that in May, June and July we can easily be on the course until 10pm. Honestly there is something just awesome being out on the course at that time with the sun going down and everything becoming so peaceful, it is just absolute bliss.

The only provisio I would place on the above is when it comes to competitive golf. If I am going out with a card in my hand, getting out early is the best...unless it is a four round competition, then you need to be out late on the last day.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • ORTORT Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Early morning. I don't work during the summer so get out at 7, done by 10:30. Have the rest of the day for the pool, beach, that type thing.
  • greggreg Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Late afternoon rounds - nice to get loosened up, etc.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,936 ✭✭
    Late afternoon is my all time favorite time to play but I’m relagated to dew sweeping for the familia. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Late afternoons after work are the best. Early mornings are good too if its a weekend and I have nothing planned after. I play better later in the day, not a morning person.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Callaway XR16 3w 15° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20° w/ Kuro Kage 80g
    Mizuno MP-54 4i-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9 w/ DG S400
    Mizuno S18 56°/10 w/ DG S400
    Mizuno S18 60°/6 w/ DG S400
    Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour golf balls
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,882 ✭✭
    I am a dew sweeper but I do prefer a late afternoon round because the course will play a little shorter and I don’t have to spend 10 minutes cleaning my golf shoes of clippings. Man I love golf.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    I prefer early morning rounds myself but if the only time I have availble to me is late afternoon rounds then I’m not going to say “no” to a 3pm start. As long as I’m not needed at home for husband/father duties then I’m usually in the clear anyways
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,355 ClubWRX
    I would take anything. image/rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' /> Being a father of 4 pretty much makes me taking the early morning shift which works out well. Some of the course near where I live have to different course conditions with morning a late afternoon rounds. Usually the wind isnt as bad but you have the morning dew. Late afternoon is a dry but the wind has picked up. So still morning round so I can get my fix and be back to tend to the flock.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,174 ✭✭
    Twilight for sure. Warmer, drier and cheaper.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Timbo929Timbo929 Members Posts: 400 ✭✭
    Since I have a young family(3 year old and 1 year old girls), early mornings for me..

Ever since it's been raining, the last couple weeks I went out I was alone, like the only one on the course. I played 5 extra holes each time lol!
  • tonypizzletonypizzle Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    I live in florida so late afternoon rounds are either really hot or hot or miss with rain. but it also offers the cheapest greens fees. ive always been an afternoon golfer but its just harder to find people to play with bc they complain about being hot.
  • KC13KC13 31st StateMembers Posts: 330 ✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 11:50am #55
    Can I say, both?!?!

Nothing like an early Saturday morning tee time driving the neighborhood before everyone is awake, crisp weather, smell of wet grass and watching the sunrise. Ready to get after it!

or;

Late afternoon round to decompress the soul and watch the sunset. I find these rounds to be the most relaxing and carefree.

- KC
    TaylorMade M5 9° - Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6x
    Callaway Rogue 17° - Fujikura Speeder Evo V 757x
    Titleist 816 H1 21° - Matrix Ozik Altus X
    Mizuno MP-25 (4-pw) - KBS Tour Black Nickel 125 S+
    Titleist SM7 Raw 50/54/58 - KBS Tour 120 S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2 - 35"
    Pro V1 18'
  • jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    PNB_Golf wrote:

In the summer do you prefer early morning or late afternoon rounds and why? For me I prefer late afternoon rounds because it gives me something to look forward to after work and there's nothing better than finishing your day off with a sunset on the course.

I'm a late afternoon guy myself. Nothing beats the golden hour on the course during the summer months
    Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906f4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-64 4-P
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭
    Almost all of my rounds are early morning. With a wife and daughter (who thankfully are not naturally early risers), playing early let's me get my golf fix in and still not feel like I'm neglecting my family duties.

I really miss the late afternoon rounds, though. As others have said, there is just something magical about finishing a round at dusk. Plus, nothing tastes quite like that first nice cold beer/mixed drink after the round. I'm not big on drinking when I play, as I find this game hard enough even when I have all my faculties!

Of course, in an ideal world, I'd play early, have a nice lunch, and the head back out in the late afternoon!
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,020 ✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 2:42pm #58
    Like I stated previously in this thread, I'm an evening guy on the weekdays. However, that brought to mind the one time that it was annoying - a couple years ago, I went nuts, and shot 31, -5 (with a bogey on #4) on the front, but it was dark when I walked off the 9th green. I would've given anything to have been able to complete that round.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-U - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Weekdays after work I can get to the course and play a quick 9 in 1hr15 or play a full 18 and finish as it's getting dark. At the weekends definitely morning. Then I have the rest of the day to do weekend non-golf stuff!
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    Between those 2 options I'll go late cause sleep is king...specially on weekends when were up late making a little noise
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • RuffingItRuffingIt Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    depends on time of the year. Spring/Summer months i can get off work early, change into some shorts, get a tan going on the legs, and enjoy twilight rounds. Fall/Winter...early morning since the family tends to sleep in a bit longer during the colder months.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5˚ (Kuro Kage Silver Tini X)
    Ping G410 3 wood (Ping Tour stiff)
    Nike vr pro ltd 5 wood (UST Mamiya VTS 85S silver)
    Nike vr pro combo 3-PW (S300)
    Nike Engage 55˚ss, 60˚ds
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5 33"

in rotation
    Nike Method Origin B2-01 33" / Nike Method Matter B2-01 33"