Akshay Bhatia skipping college and going pro at 18

gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-ChiefClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX

what do u all think?

i hope he makes it as a fellow lefty.

not sure i agree with him skipping college. i feel like there is great competition and really can help boost his confidence and learn from a great college coach/teammates.
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
Putter: SC Newport 3
Ball: AVX/ProV1

Comments

• bravesgolfbravesgolf Members Posts: 296 ✭✭
    To each their own. There's plenty of pros that didn't go to an American college and are great players. It's not the be all and end all. He has just as much chance of being successful doing it this way. Good luck to him.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

https://www.youtube....v=rVtp2d8UlXI

what do u all think?

not sure i agree with him skipping college. i feel like there is great competition and really can help boost his confidence and learn from a great college coach/teammates.

You're a lefty?? But. Wait a second, hold on... The Big Goat Cat isn't lefty. Come on Gator - switch to righty.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

what do u all think?

You're a lefty?? But. Wait a second, hold on... The Big Goat Cat isn't lefty. Come on Gator - switch to righty.

the thought has crossed my mind..... esp after a nice 85 and i want to break all my clubs.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,274 ✭✭
    bravesgolf wrote:

To each their own. There's plenty of pros that didn't go to an American college and are great players. It's not the be all and end all. He has just as much chance of being successful doing it this way. Good luck to him.
    I will say I agree with you 110%
    bravesgolf wrote:

as someone who did 22 years of schooling plus residency I just don't know if 13 is enough, lol. i love his work ethic though.
    BIG STU wrote:

bravesgolf wrote:

there are so many fun things though from college, even if he were only to go 1-2 for free...
    gatorMD wrote:

bravesgolf wrote:

as someone who did 22 years of schooling plus residency I just don't know if 13 is enough, lol. i love his work ethic though.
    Well in your case like I tell my MD who is also a golf bud
    If you are treating me I want you to have all the schooling you can get--- Seriously I know the medical field is constantly changing and I appreciate guys like you and him that have the professionalism and dedication to keep up
    BIG STU wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

bravesgolf wrote:

Well in your case like I tell my MD who is also a golf bud
    If you are treating me I want you to have all the schooling you can get--- Seriously I know the medical field is constantly changing and I appreciate guys like you and him that have the professionalism and dedication to keep up

thanks BS.

I really love both as you can't stop learning and getting better in each. I am constantly trying to improve in both and learning new things which i love.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,433 ✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2019 6:10pm #10
    gatorMD wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

bravesgolf wrote:

there are so many fun things though from college, even if he were only to go 1-2 for free...

I agree with ya, the biggest part of undergrad isnt necessarily the education or in this case even the golf. If I was as talented as he was I'd personally want to go just to experience it, having a chance for a NCAA title, a US amateur title, etc are just bonuses. Golf isnt like contact sports where risk of injury is a potential career ender
  • 1t2golf1t2golf Marshals Posts: 3,241 mod
    gatorMD wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

bravesgolf wrote:

So true. The real world can wait.
    Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

what do u all think?

How can you blame him for turning pro? Follow the money. An injury in college could derail any money and be career ending before it even started. He can always go back to school although I agree he is missing out on some unique experiences in college.
    wildcatden wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

what do u all think?

How can you blame him for turning pro? Follow the money. An injury in college could derail any money and be career ending before it even started. He can always go back to school although I agree he is missing out on some unique experiences in college.

i agree can always go back like M. wie, but def not the same. tough choice either way.
    wildcatden wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

what do u all think?

I thought about something else too since I posted. I am assuming by his name he is from India but never the less where ever he is from he may need to make some money to help his family. You never know the personal situation. But for whatever reason I wish him success
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,433 ✭✭
    1t2golf wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

bravesgolf wrote:

So true. The real world can wait.

It's an interesting point you bring. As an "old" millennial I see many of these younger millennial seemingly so eager to grow up. Kids are doing things in high school that wasn't even remotely on the radar just 15-20 years ago. At the same time..many of them are actually completely unprepared to survive as independent adults.
  • m5powerm5power Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Best of luck to him. As previously mentioned, he has as good a chance doing it this way than going the college route. That being said, personally, I would have gone 1-2 years for fun....and that way, you can rep your school for the rest of your life. I see Tiger having fun at Stanford basketball games, Rickie with his orange, etc. I always feel kinda bad for Lebron and Kobe for not being able to rep a school and be part of the alumni fraternity.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,726 ✭✭
    If he's good enough, he'll be fine.

As a big bonus, he won't have to put up with the NCAA if Tiger buys him lunch.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

lol
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,726 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

lol

If Tiger was in this spot today, I think he would have skipped college.

Tiger's fun with the NCAA

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/If-Tiger-bolts-from-Stanford-blame-NCAA-3124623.php
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • sfigginssfiggins Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    George Gankas has helped produce some incredible young golfers.
    sfiggins wrote:

dude is on fire right now.

gatorMD wrote:

lol

If Tiger was in this spot today, I think he would have skipped college.

Tiger's fun with the NCAA

https://www.sfgate.c...CAA-3124623.php

the NCAA is a joke and robbery machine. should be disbanded.
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,423 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

sfiggins wrote:

dude is on fire right now.

Seriously.

The whole college vs. going pro thing...I guess he feels like he’s on fire and wants to cash in by going pro. If it was my kid I’d push him to go to college since it gives him a chance to grow up a little and experience college life (especially as a top rated golfer, which I’m sure is pretty awesome), and if he’s really that good, turning pro and the money will be there in a few years. But to each his own and I wish him luck. Be fun to watch that swing on the pga.

Callaway Epic SZ - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 15* - Diamana S Ltd
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,209 ✭✭
    Get the college experience. Lot of fun. Do it for a couple years and then go pro.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,753 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

gatorMD wrote:

[url=" [/url]

what do u all think?

the thought has crossed my mind..... esp after a nice 85 and i want to break all my clubs.

Lol that’s hilarious. Biggest tiger fan I know in person is lefty. He hates Phil. I always found that more than odd. Loll don’t know why.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Poor PosturePoor Posture Members Posts: 380 ✭✭
    Good video about the guy - wish him the best!
    Bigmean, on 08 September 2015 - 07:21 PM, said: "I know it is really frowned upon here, but hitting the club somewhere near the middle is generally the greatest tech advancement you can put in your bag."

Titleist 917d2
    Titleist 917f 15*
    Taylormade V-steel 21* 7w
    4-P Mizuno MMC
    Edel 52*
    PXG 56*
    Byron dh89 raw
  • Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Members Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2019 8:41pm #27
    He's a heck of a player. My son lost to him about 3 years ago in a match so I saw him up close.

I think it's smart. I find college golf, which I played, a waste for those that really have the talent and desire to be a pro. I mean, you are only young enough and talented enough for so long, so you need to get out there as fast as possible. It's the European model. And who says you can't go back to college at 21 years old if it doesn't work out. People act like you can't get a job if you go this route and fail.

Plus in his case, he's been home schooled for years. So he's very prepared for being solely focused on his golf.
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Since he's homeschooled, probably doesn't have many friends outside golf, college experience can be daunting and he feels out of place.

I wish him luck though,heck of a player.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
    If he’s homeschooled then I really think he should go to college for some social experiences.
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 991 ✭✭
    The only reason he needs to go to college is for the social stuff. Make friends, get drunk, get laid etc. His golf game is already advanced and he just needs more tournaments at a higher level and coaching which he already has (not sure if he needs someone more dedicated). The main downside is that he's making a huge jump from Junior golf straight to pro's. College golfers have a few years to hone their games before competing with the big dogs where a lot of guys were dominating their ranks before. It'll be fun to see. He's clearly very talented.

It's not easy nor really "fun" being a pro athlete, and he'll miss out on the fun college part is all I'm saying.
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭
    Akshay and I played once or twice together in practice rounds for Monday qualifiers. He’s got the total package. Won the jones cup recently which is on a hard course full of the who’s who of amateur golf
    Enjoy the chase.