Can Dustin Johnson's swing hold up in his later years?

Nachosgrande

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a greater likelihood that a jealous husband or a crazy girlfriend will get to him first.

I see nothing in his swing that will hurt him long term.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

His swing has never been a favourite of mine from an aesthetic point of view but he has such an amazing impact position. The control and precision he has developed is so impressive.

I don't see any issues for him. At this moment I can only see him getting better.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

DJ will be just fine for years.

They were talking about him on NLU and whether he gets to 30 wins. I think that's a no brainer. You could see him picking up another 3, 4 or even 5 this year without too much hassle. The thing he needs to do for his legacy is to make one of those a major. Way too good to be on the same number of majors as Shaun Micheel.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Is he actually on pace to match Phil? DJ has 20 wins at age 34. The second half of his career will be more proficient than the first half? Phil won the Masters at age 34 for win #23. I guess that is close, but is not on pace to pass or match PM unless he wins two more times before Augusta and then wins again there.

I’m in the camp that DJ gets derailed by a wife/girlfriend/both before getting to 40 wins.

The guy has never been hurt, so i think his swing will last

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I would be interested in hearing just exactly what it is about DJ's swing that OP thinks will make him break down? I'm all for discussion, but people are just inventing things at this point.

"Shock journalism making it's way into forums: Is it a bigger problem than slow play on tour making it's way into the munis across the land?" (wow that was easier than I thought)

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

With absolutely nothing scientific to back it up, when I watch his swing its one of those that looks like its got a lot of moving parts so if he ever got out of sync with any of that I could see some problems. OTOH he hasn't done it so far and is keeping it together nicely so barring injury I'd say he's got a good shot at reaching Mickleson's win total and beyond.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

While I constantly poke fun at DJ, for his dopey character and behavior, I truly love his ability to rotate freely. Dude has incredibly great flexibility and his body is almost ideal for maintaining that type of dexterity for many decades to come.

The only thing I can see stopping him is the nose candy.... aka: rails.. aka: yayo... but hopefully Gret's was able to impart some of his wisdom from his days partying with the Oilers..

Titleist....

I would be interested in hearing just exactly what it is about DJ's swing that OP thinks will make him break down? I'm all for discussion, but people are just inventing things at this point.

"Shock journalism making it's way into forums: Is it a bigger problem than slow play on tour making it's way into the munis across the land?" (wow that was easier than I thought)

6VGzSV3.gif

With absolutely nothing scientific to back it up, when I watch his swing its one of those that looks like its got a lot of moving parts so if he ever got out of sync with any of that I could see some problems. OTOH he hasn't done it so far and is keeping it together nicely so barring injury I'd say he's got a good shot at reaching Mickleson's win total and beyond.

i agree with that take ... natural swings hold up, imo ... not sure his is natural ... no logic for thinking that; however, i've got more evidence of your opinion than the evidence backing the accusations of dj's off the course behavior, so there's that ...

DJ will be around as long as he's interested in competing. Long fluid swings last longer & cause less harm than shorter violent changes of direction. He definitely puts in the work at the gym to support healthy frame and core.

Agreed with you. I think he is more interested than we all think, and there is an article on Golf Digest on wondering and giving reasons on why he is a golf savant because he is the opposite of what we expect out of an athlete in a sport that we all make harder than it has to be. He boils it down to the point where golf is boring when he talks about it, but I believe that is what has helped him never really fall into the younger generation of their mind getting in their way. Rory, JT, Spieth, Rahm, Bryson, they all get in their way in the mind. I think DJ as much as we poke fun as his demeanor on the course is the reason he was able to overcome blowing majors early in his career and keep winning year after year. In terms of his swing, being long like he is, he doesn't ever seem to muscle a ball further and can be smooth about it. Smaller guys you see them giving a little extra which could wear down a body quicker than someone who using the length of their body to create power.

That super shut face and bowed wrist position he gets to at the top of his swing requires incredible athleticism to create the necessary body turn through the ball to accommodate it. As it stands now its a swing that is almost infallible, but what happens when he gets a few more years on him and loses a fraction of that athleticism? We all go "out of warranty" at some point.

the TW era spawned a whole generation of actual athletes like DJ taking up the game of golf and flourishing at it, DJ and Brooks put in time at the gym and the results are proof that their work pays off...

Truth.

20 years ago DJ isn't playing golf, he's playing Basketball.

I think 20 years ago DJ was playing golf.

the TW era spawned a whole generation of actual athletes like DJ taking up the game of golf and flourishing at it, DJ and Brooks put in time at the gym and the results are proof that their work pays off...

Truth.

20 years ago DJ isn't playing golf, he's playing Basketball.

I think 20 years ago DJ was playing golf.

If he was an adult 20 years ago. Obviously, he was playing golf as he was 15 during the Tiger boom.

Point being, if Tiger isn't around, I don't think someone like DJ is playing professional golf.

age plays cruel tricks on us. His reverse C will look like an exclamation point in 15 years.

Reverse C?

http://www.golf.com/news/2019/02/23/watch-dustin-johnson-drives-367-yard-par-4-makes-eagle/

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I don't see why it wouldn't last and don't really understand the comments from guys saying it won't. Sure the face is shut at the top, but that just allows him to rotate freely in the DS and as long as the COM follows the same path he has it on now he's a walking stripe show. Just watch a slow motion face on view of him and his body movements. It doesn't get any better in my opinion.

Is he actually on pace to match Phil? DJ has 20 wins at age 34. The second half of his career will be more proficient than the first half? Phil won the Masters at age 34 for win #23. I guess that is close, but is not on pace to pass or match PM unless he wins two more times before Augusta and then wins again there.

I'm in the camp that DJ gets derailed by a wife/girlfriend/both before getting to 40 wins.

That's where I'm at. DJ has had a stellar career so far but putting him in Phil's category is at least 10 years premature. Phil is not only one of the top ten golfers of all time, but he's probably one of the top three old golfers of all time. What he's accomplished over the age of 40 is unreal. Phil is a huge outlier for over 40 Tour pros. I'm not comfortable assuming DJ will get there just because he's roughly on the same trajectory as Phil at age 34. Who could've predicted in 2008 that Phil would win more majors than Tiger over the next ten years? Golf is unpredictable. Will DJ have a Phil level career by the time he's done? Maybe, but the odds are against it.

That super shut face and bowed wrist position he gets to at the top of his swing requires incredible athleticism to create the necessary body turn through the ball to accommodate it. As it stands now its a swing that is almost infallible, but what happens when he gets a few more years on him and loses a fraction of that athleticism? We all go "out of warranty" at some point.

yeah, it reminds me a bit of Duval, super strong grip and a lot of rotation can put a toll on the body. That being said DJ seems to be in a little better shape than DD physically. ......but man the way DJ swings it looks like it really buts a lot of torque on the back/spine and wrists.

Phil's swings is long and loose, but it seems like it puts less strain on the body in general with a more neutral grip and angles.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

As someone who deals with a cranky back I've got concerns. Just watching him swing sometimes makes me wince. At some point flexibility begins to wain for everyone. But he's as athletically gifted and works as hard to be fit as anybody out there. If anybody can do it it's him.

He has had 2 supposed back injuries already, the stair slipping accident before The Masters in 2017 and (if you believe his story) the "jet ski" incident from several years back. Neither were golf induced though, but any back injury doesn't bode well for a golfer.