2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGA Tour Courses

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the one's that I have played, I'm going to say Torrey Pines South was probably the least impressive. I think it's still a good course, but compared to the others I have played it had the least wow factor.

On the positive side if I had to pick one, I'm going to go with Whistling Straits. I'll get some flack for this I'm sure since a lot of people think it's contrived, but it lives up to it's hype as a visually intimidating, top calibre course. I'll go with Bethpage Black as my second choice.

For reference, here's the list of tour stops I've played copied from the Top 100 list plus a handful of Scottish courses added where they play Majors.

Pebble Beach

The Ocean Course

Whistling Straits

Pinehurst No 2 (Pre and post renovation)

Bethpage Black

Erin Hills

Spyglass Hill

TPC Sawgrass (Player's Stadium)

Harbour Town Golf Links

Torrey Pines South

The Old Course

Carnoustie

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I'd also say that TP south wasn't the most fantastic of the courses I've played. Very cool to play where some famous US open battles have taken place, but otherwise underwhelming. My favorites that I've played are Sawgrass and PGA West Stadium course. I guess I have a thing for the stadium style courses. Bethpage Black was a neat experience, but I played it in crummy weather (mid 50's and raining) and want to give it another go when it's nicer out. It was an awesome course but the tee time hassle is at times unbearable. Aronimink was also a fun course, however, I played it during the renovation period so I wasn't able to get the full taste of the course.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

I've played so many

Glen Abbey here locally ... sucks mostly

Fantastic and testing tracks off the top of my head follow:

Bethpage Black

TPC Sawgrass

Carnoustie

The Old Course

Kingsbarns

Champion Course at PGA National (this week)

Torrey Pines (I liked them both, but mostly for the vistas and elevation changes on some holes)

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Pebble Beach definitely lives up to the hype. I'd say Spyglass was the biggest disappointment. Harding Park was a close second.

Pebble Beach

The Ocean Course

Whistling Straits

Pinehurst No 2 (Pre renovation)

Erin Hills

Spyglass Hill

TPC Sawgrass (Player's Stadium)

Chambers Bay

Harbour Town Golf

Poppy Hills

Torrey Pines South

Torrey Pines North

PGA West Stadium

PGA West Nicklaus

TPC Scottsdale

TPC Louisiana

TPC Deere Run

Cog Hill Dubsdread

Innisbrook Copperhead

TPC Harding Park

Bay Hill

Doral Blue Monster

TPC San Antonio (Oaks)

La Cantera

TPC Four Seasons Las Colinas

Golf Club of Houston (Tournament)

Dove Mountain

Walt Disney World Resort Palm course

Grand National

I've also been played numerous courses that have hosted LPGA events, including The Brickyard, Tiburon, Aviara, Old American, Magnolia Grove, Thornberry Creek, and Wildfire.

I'll be playing The Old Course in late April. I expect it to be quite remarkable. Kingsbarns is also on the agenda.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I've only gotten to 3 so far.

TPC Potomac (Avenel)

Bethpage Black

Pinehurst #2

BPB is my favorite out of those 3. PH2 is a close 2nd. Avenel is not in the same ballpark, but was still a blast to play since I've seen it on TV and have been to many tournaments there since I was a kid.

I have Carnoustie and the Old Course scheduled for July.

Erin Hills

Whistling Straits

TPC Southwind

Innisbrook-Copperhead

Bay Hill

Bellerive CC

TPC Deere Run

TPC Tampa Bay (Sr Tour)

TPC Woodlands (old Houston Open course)

These were all fun in their own way. But the Best of the Best was Erin Hills and Bellerive (pre-renovation). The one that I would least care about playing again? TPC Southwind (I did play this course before it was redone, so take that for what it is worth.)

Pebble Beach, Whistling Straits, The Ocean Course, Bethpage Black, Erin Hills, TPC Scottsdale, TPC Deere Run, TPC Harding Park, Cog Hill use to be a tour course, Bellerive.

The 2 for me that stood out the most, or were the most "underrated" (if possible at their rankings) were Bethpage Black and Erin Hills. Something about those 2 was just unreal. I could play both of those every day and never get bored.

Most overrated would be Bellerive. Grew up playing St Louis CC and there is just no comparison. Harding Park was also just an ok course.

Adding The Old Course, Kingsbarns, and Crooked Stick this summer.

TPC Sawgrass

Kiawah - Ocean Course

Harbour Town

Pebble Beach

Spyglass

Pinehurst # 2

Harbour Town was the most overrated of the bunch. Felt like I was playing any local course in Charleston that is through a neighborhood. The other courses lived up to the hype

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I've played Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, Brown Deer, Cog Hill, Firestone South, Kiawah, TPC Sawgrass, TPC Scottsdale, TPC Deere Run, Bethpage Black, Chambers Bay, Muirfield Village, Inverness, and Harding Park in the US. Numerous other ones have hosted LPGA, senior, or web.com events. Internationally I've played Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, the Old Course, Troon, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, and the Rio Olympic course.

The international ones were all amazing. The three that I would most like to play again in the states are Chambers, Bethpage, and TPC Sawgrass. Deere Run is a surprisingly good course. The rest are all good courses, but their tournament status brings their rankings to a much higher position than they should be if we were to judge the course alone.

Not only is Deere Run a good course, it's a bargain compared to pretty much every other TPC course.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Not only is Deere Run a good course, it's a bargain compared to pretty much every other TPC course.

So true. I love playing there. Every time I do I can't believe how the tour players absolutely dominate it every year, it isn't easy.

That's because they play relaxed, knowing that they'll be able to hop on a luxury chartered flight to The Open Championship after the final round. I'm stressed half way through the round knowing I have a 3 hour drive back to the city. Lol.

So true. I love playing there. Every time I do I can't believe how the tour players absolutely dominate it every year, it isn't easy.

It should be a required play for everyone in the Chicago area each year. I was surprised with how few people from Chicagoland had been out there to play it. If you live in the west suburbs, it might not even be much longer of a drive than going downtown on a bad day :derisive:

I also love Deere Run being from central Illinois, try to get out there at least once a year because like you said, it's a hell of a deal. In the fall I've gotten out there for an all day rate of around $100 if I remember right, late in the season. First ever bogey free round was at Deere Run back in the day, so I guess I am in the camp that can see how the tour guys destroy it, fairly wide off the tee, not long esp when it's baked out in July, smooth and relatively flat greens.

Other tour courses I have played:

Medinah No. 3 (my favorite course in the Midwest)

Conway Farms

Crooked Stick - underwhelming, pretty flat, not memorable

Butler National (Western Open loooooong long ago, basically impossibly, as tough as anything, anywhere)

Cog Hill - since the redesign it's gotten diabolical, fairway bunkers are too deep and theyre everywhere, pin locations can be ridiculous too and usually are

TPC Scottsdale - extremely disappointing, must play when the grand stands are up if at all, most overpriced course in Arizona

Dove Mountain in Marana - also disappointing, some crazy sight lines off of tees, weird dog legs with desert everywhere, just OK, I can see why the tour players didnt like it

Bay Hill

Tiburon in Naples - college tournament long ago, great condition was all i remember, and i shot like crap

Champions Course @ PGA National

Shoal Creek Club (1990 PGA Championship, etc) - amazing golf course, Augusta of the South they like to call themselves

Pinehurst No. 2 - before the redesign, not overly tough unless it's set up for tournaments with shaved down edges around greens and long rough, since the redesign i have heard it's a lot more visibly impressive

El Camaleon (Mayakoba Classic)

RTJ Trail - Grand National - goofy golf, typical RTJ, each green is 50 yards long with 4 tiers

Grayhawk - Raptor Course (Fry's Open a few year's back) - solid golf course, good layout, always enjoy this one

TPC Sugarloaf

Poipu Bay - Hawaii - Grand Slam of Golf each year until they did away with it bc players didn't want to go, torrential rains so I can't recall much here

I really enjoyed the Champions Course @ PGA National along with Bay Hill, two very challenging golf courses. El Camaleon was phenomenal as well, surprising the pros rip that place up like they do because I thought it was pretty narrow.

I also love Deere Run being from central Illinois, try to get out there at least once a year because like you said, it's a hell of a deal. In the fall I've gotten out there for an all day rate of around $100 if I remember right, late in the season. First ever bogey free round was at Deere Run back in the day, so I guess I am in the camp that can see how the tour guys destroy it, fairly wide off the tee, not long esp when it's baked out in July, smooth and relatively flat greens.

Conway Farms

Butler National (Western Open loooooong long ago, basically impossibly, as tough as anything, anywhere)

Cog Hill - since the redesign it's gotten diabolical, fairway bunkers are too deep and theyre everywhere, pin locations can be ridiculous too and usually are

TPC Scottsdale - extremely disappointing, must play when the grand stands are up if at all, most overpriced course in Arizona

Dove Mountain in Marana - also disappointing, some crazy sight lines off of tees, weird dog legs with desert everywhere, just OK, I can see why the tour players didnt like it

Bay Hill

Tiburon in Naples - college tournament long ago, great condition was all i remember, and i shot like crap

Shoal Creek Club (1990 PGA Championship, etc) - amazing golf course, Augusta of the South they like to call themselves

Pinehurst No. 2 - before the redesign, not overly tough unless it's set up for tournaments with shaved down edges around greens and long rough, since the redesign i have heard it's a lot more visibly impressive

RTJ Trail - Grand National - goofy golf, typical RTJ, each green is 50 yards long with 4 tiers

Grayhawk - Raptor Course (Fry's Open a few year's back) - solid golf course, good layout, always enjoy this one

TPC Sugarloaf

Poipu Bay - Hawaii - Grand Slam of Golf each year until they did away with it bc players didn't want to go, torrential rains so I can't recall much here

I really enjoyed the Champions Course @ PGA National along with Bay Hill, two very challenging golf courses. El Camaleon was phenomenal as well, surprising the pros rip that place up like they do because I thought it was pretty narrow.

I forgot about Medinah #3. So good.

As far as TPC Scottsdale goes, it was one of the most unique golf experiences I have ever had playing the week before the tournament. Totally worth the price to check it out then. Really nothing like it. Without the stands, there are a ton of better courses in the area.

If you are a golf fan playing 16 in the stadium is a must at least once.

Which courses have you played that they play on tour (regular schedule or past majors)? And which lived up to the hype or were disappointing?

I play one every weekend....except for this weekend and next weekend.

Apparently some big shots will be in town to play for money.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

As far as TPC Scottsdale goes, it was one of the most unique golf experiences I have ever had playing the week before the tournament. Totally worth the price to check it out then. Really nothing like it. Without the stands, there are a ton of better courses in the area.

I totally agree. On a normal day the course is OK. There are certainly better courses in the area. However, with the stands up, it's pretty sweet.

20180114_120709s.jpg

20180114_121524s.jpg

20180114_122838s.jpg

R

Conway Farms

Bay Hill

TPC Sugarloaf

I see comments all the time about playing this course with the stands up. I just don’t understand how having a bunch of empty stands surrounding you can enhance the golf experience one bit. I guess I am in the minority.

R

Conway Farms

Bay Hill

TPC Sugarloaf

I see comments all the time about playing this course with the stands up. I just don’t understand how having a bunch of empty stands surrounding you can enhance the golf experience one bit. I guess I am in the minority.

Yeah I do wonder what time of you year people played. Around tournament time the course will be in nearly perfect shape, but on the opposite end of the calendar it might suck.

Perfect example Bay Hill, it blows in the summer time. No overseed it’s just another Florida golf course...but come winter time it’s incredible and I take every chance I get to play out there.

R

Conway Farms

Bay Hill

TPC Sugarloaf

I guess you wouldn't understand unless you tried it first.

I've played Whistling Straits, The Old Course, Bethpage Black, Erin Hills and Torrey Pines South and I would rank them is this order. It was said here already but Whistling really was incredible. The views, the condition the course was in, the quality caddie and the group I was paired with all made it an unforgettable experience. The Old Course is second but I really would consider it 1B. I was lucky enough to grab a walk on time two days in a row this past fall and wouldn't change a thing. Getting in line at 4:30 a.m., talking with guys in line and hitting that first tee ball were just incredible. I have so many great pictures/memories as my wife was able to walk with our group during my second round. I hope to travel back and play the Old Course again along with others at St. Andrews.

Bethpage and Erin were also great. The wind was blowing at Erin which made the challenge fun but could certainly see how the pros could rip it up if the wind is not in play. Hoping to head back out to LI and play Bethpage again this summer. The views of the ocean were awesome at Torrey but other than that, I didn't think there was anything spectacular about the course.

My list includes: Oakland Hills, Warwick Hills, Detroit Golf Club (upcoming this year), Cog Hill, Medinah No 3, Butler National, Olympia Fields, Whistling Straits, TPC Deere Run, TPC Sawgrass, TPC Scottsdale, TPC Summerlin, PGA West, Sherwood, Old Course, Kingsbarn, Royal Troon, Muirfield, Turnberry, Carnoustie

Oakland Hills has the hardest greens. Overall Butler National was the toughest course. Medinah was my favorite. Least impressive I would say is between Cog Hill or Summerlin. Must have caught them on off days cause the courses were in terrible shape. I agree with everyone saying TPC Deere Run is a fantastic course. A very fun course. Played TPC Scottsdale with and without the stands and there’s just something special with the stands up. Walking the tunnel to 16. Even without the crazy crowds there’s a little tour atmosphere. It’ll be interesting to see how Detroit Golf Club is routed for the tournament because the 36 holes are packed in with a tiny range.

International my favorite was Carnoustie and every bit nasty as described. Played it last year a few months before the tournament and Padrig was there for a photo shoot so they had all the Sunday pins in. One of the hardest courses with the toughest pins, not an easy round. Royal Troon and Murifield just didn’t do it for me. If I ever did another Scotland trip I would leave those two out.

Gotta love the tunnel.

20180114_120055s.jpg

I've played only a few, Bethpage, The Old Course, and TPC Harding Park. The first two were incredible, lived up to the hype if not exceeded it. Harding Park was a good course don't get me wrong, it just wasn't really in the same mold of the other two. I likely won't play Harding Park again unless the prices come down a bit. It was well conditioned but didn't necessarily have the strategy of the other courses. Definitely interested to see how the PGA goes there.

Forgot about Olympia Fields, got out there last year and loved it. Can't put it ahead of Medinah but it's one of the better old school tree-lined courses I have played.

Agree on TPC Scottsdale - course is fun with the stands, it completely transforms an average par 3 16th. Great finishing stretch there. I don't dislike the course necessarily, but for $300+ in season it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Pebble Beach definitely lives up to the hype. I'd say Spyglass was the biggest disappointment.

I always find your opinions and pictures equally impressive but I scratch my head on this one. I love spyglass. That back 9 is as intimate of a walk as any course I’ve played. The deers. Colors. Birds. Light ocean breeze. The only weak spot are the par3s.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x