Ping G400 Max vs. Ping G410 Plus

13»

Comments

  • JFM628JFM628 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:


    Head to head, I have a feeling that the differences are minimal, or even non-existing.



    Now, if you pick one off the rack and happen to get a shaft that works for your move, you might find buried treasure. You never know. A dollar and a dream.




    I agree with this...I went in for a fitting and basically wanted to test the 410 Plus, Max and the F9 (coming from a Fly Z)...also hit latest TM and Titleist. The bottom line is that I thought I was picking between the Max, 410 Plus and the F9...and the 400 LST was the clear winner. Picked one up for $220 and saved $250.



    As usual, the broken record: hit them all and get fitted.
  • ORTORT Members Posts: 142 ✭✭
    JFM628 wrote:




    I agree with this...I went in for a fitting and basically wanted to test the 410 Plus, Max and the F9 (coming from a Fly Z)...also hit latest TM and Titleist. The bottom line is that I thought I was picking between the Max, 410 Plus and the F9...and the 400 LST was the clear winner. Picked one up for $220 and saved $250.



    As usual, the broken record: hit them all and get fitted.




    Question for you, what made the lst stand out over the max? Was there a considerable drop in spin?
  • stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 3:08pm #64
    I am not even looking to hit another driver this year. The G400 Max with the Tour 65 has been fantastic for me. Just made it out for the first round (9) holes of the year and she treated me so well. 4200' elevation, 52 degrees, dormant grass, 8 mph wind playing conditions. I'm 54 with a driver swing speed of 103-110.



    #1 No warm up, pulled and slightly drawn 282 just off the left fairway.

    #3 Calls for a slight draw. Hit a perfect baby draw 295 middle of fairway.

    #5 Large fairway short par 5 slight tailwind. Tried to nuke it high w/slight draw and did 312 left center of fairway leaving a 6 iron in. Missed the 10 foot eagle.

    #7 Tight hole just hit stock drive. Caught it on the screws with normal swing. Straight flight 295 middle of fairway.

    #8 Calls for and pulled off slight baby fade. Into the wind so slightly flighted it down and 270 right middle of the fairway.

    #9 Slight dogleg left. Setup for a fade but hit straight. 1 foot off fairway 285 yards.



    I look down at this driver and have total confidence to hit any shot called for. Could I find something better..... doubtful. It is a bit loud. Feel for me is fine not as good as a few on the market but fine.



    Shot 35 with one three putt. Going to be a good year I think. Have a 2 person scramble on a course I have never played Saturday and I know the G400 Max will give me the ability to "Play My Best".



    Mike.
    Driver  G410 Plus 9 Project X Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    3 Wood  Rapture 13.5 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood Cleveland Mashie 18 Miyazaki C Kua Stiff
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons  TW737P  5-10 Irons Nippon NSPro 950GS R+
    Wedges  Forged Copper 50, 55 & 60 DGS300
    Putter Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" Super Stroke Plus XL Counter Balanced

    Ball  Taylormade TP5
  • JFM628JFM628 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    ORT wrote:

    JFM628 wrote:


    I agree with this...I went in for a fitting and basically wanted to test the 410 Plus, Max and the F9 (coming from a Fly Z)...also hit latest TM and Titleist. The bottom line is that I thought I was picking between the Max, 410 Plus and the F9...and the 400 LST was the clear winner. Picked one up for $220 and saved $250.



    As usual, the broken record: hit them all and get fitted.




    Question for you, what made the lst stand out over the max? Was there a considerable drop in spin?




    No, actually the spin was very similar to the Max with the same shaft...F9 was also low spin and the spin numbers were not a deciding factor because they were all within a 150 or so. Biggest drives with the F9 but best dispersion by far was with the LST. Not sure why it fit me better and went back and forth with the Max a few times and it was consistent. Surprised but confident that for some reason the LST fit me better - I was longer than the Max...close to F9...but better dispersion than both.
  • DrawmanDrawman Members Posts: 93 ✭✭
    SwingMan wrote:



    Couldn't care less about sound, I'd hit a metal trash can on a stick if it went 350 ��‍♂️



    Using comparable lofts I'm sure the max and 410 plus are very similar but even kicked down -1, my max was way higher lofted than it's stated 9*, hence a good 4 mph ball speed gain with 410. Took a lot of self control not to order the 3w, it's impressive also




    From my experience and talking with others, the 410+ is a lower spinning, lower launching head than Max -- I have a Max 9 degree and get great launch. But the 410+ doesn't seem to launch as high or spin as much - I've got to loft up this year, and a knowledgeable fitter said the same about the 410+. My 9 may be going to 10.5 to start the fitting,




    This is my experience as well. I was fitted for a 10.5* but would've bought a 9* otherwise. I was not getting the launch or draw I was accustomed to with my M4, so I lofted up to 12* and I was able to hit a consistent high draw with it.



    The G410+ is a low spinner for my slow swing speed (86 mph).
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members Posts: 2,694 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 10:20pm #67
    Seems to go against what most are finding here, but for me, G410 spun more with similar ball speed and lower launch than G400 Max.



    I'm going to give G410 and F9 another go on Tackman next week. But at the moment I'm playing for a few days in Naples and the Max is treating me very well! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    PING G400 Max Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 15º ~ GD Tour AD DI
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 23º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5–PW ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • NorbooNorboo Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    JFM628 wrote:

    ORT wrote:

    JFM628 wrote:


    I agree with this...I went in for a fitting and basically wanted to test the 410 Plus, Max and the F9 (coming from a Fly Z)...also hit latest TM and Titleist. The bottom line is that I thought I was picking between the Max, 410 Plus and the F9...and the 400 LST was the clear winner. Picked one up for $220 and saved $250.



    As usual, the broken record: hit them all and get fitted.




    Question for you, what made the lst stand out over the max? Was there a considerable drop in spin?




    No, actually the spin was very similar to the Max with the same shaft...F9 was also low spin and the spin numbers were not a deciding factor because they were all within a 150 or so. Biggest drives with the F9 but best dispersion by far was with the LST. Not sure why it fit me better and went back and forth with the Max a few times and it was consistent. Surprised but confident that for some reason the LST fit me better - I was longer than the Max...close to F9...but better dispersion than both.


    What is your swing speed?
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
    Fairway Wood: Ryoma F3 and F5
    Hybrid: Ping G400 3 & 5
    Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
    Wedge: Cleveland CBX 50, 58
    Putter: Honma CB8055 since 1989
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X

    Backup/Benched
    Driver: Ping G20
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge EX10 Beta 4 wood GD Tour AD F
    Hybrid: Ping G400 4 hybrid
    Putter: S.C. Golo 3

    Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993
  • JFM628JFM628 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Norboo wrote:

    JFM628 wrote:

    ORT wrote:

    JFM628 wrote:


    I agree with this...I went in for a fitting and basically wanted to test the 410 Plus, Max and the F9 (coming from a Fly Z)...also hit latest TM and Titleist. The bottom line is that I thought I was picking between the Max, 410 Plus and the F9...and the 400 LST was the clear winner. Picked one up for $220 and saved $250.



    As usual, the broken record: hit them all and get fitted.




    Question for you, what made the lst stand out over the max? Was there a considerable drop in spin?




    No, actually the spin was very similar to the Max with the same shaft...F9 was also low spin and the spin numbers were not a deciding factor because they were all within a 150 or so. Biggest drives with the F9 but best dispersion by far was with the LST. Not sure why it fit me better and went back and forth with the Max a few times and it was consistent. Surprised but confident that for some reason the LST fit me better - I was longer than the Max...close to F9...but better dispersion than both.


    What is your swing speed?




    Swingspeed on monitor in February averaged 105...its typically 110-112...
  • slalomdudeslalomdude Members Posts: 431 ✭✭
    Just back from a Ping demo day. My fitter told me to stay in my G400 max vs 410 but that a 410 max was in the future. He commented that it won’t be released until they are sure it will outperform the 400 max.
  • Scottie68Scottie68 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭

    Hit the 410 vs 400max, same shaft side by side on Trackman today.
    Final results similar, but how they got there was not.
    410 club head speed was consistently 2mph faster, but smash factor was consistently .04 lower, producing very similar ball speeds to 400max.
    Clearly I need to work on my swing, as I'd love to take advantage of the extra club head speed, but until then, I'd be sticking with my max.
    Note: beyond the same shaft in max as 410, I had others and swing speed with max was consistent, so I'm fairly confident it's the head.

  • fkim011fkim011 Official Club Whore Irvine, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 755 ✭✭

    @J9293 said:
    Norboo wrote:


    J9293 wrote:

    A properly fit G400 Max should beat out a properly fit G410 plus. The max is more forgiving (objectively) and ballspeeds should be the same if you hit both on the sweet spot since the CT and COR have been at their limits already.

    Any data to support your theory?

    The G410 has a lower MOI than the Max and in fact only has 1% more MOI than the normal G400. The Max has a combined MOI of 9900 g/cm2 compared to G400 which is “only” 9000 g/cm2.

    If you get fit for the loft and spin combination that optimizes your driver I don’t see how the 410 is better than the Max. The 410 can’t have a “hotter” face because of the limitations set on club manufacturers.

    The 410 is easier to fit because of the increased adjustability however.

    The MOI has no direct correlation to ballspeeds and spin rates. That has more to do with weighting, thickness of face, and other variables. My personal testing between my now sold gamer G400 Max and my gamer G410 plus with shafts being the same, same loft etc... I got more ballspeed off the G410 and reduced spin by 200RPM as I am already a very low spin player. I did not feel like I was giving up any forgiveness by going with the G410 and driving is probably the sore spot in my game. If you keep your eye on youtube, you see more and more testing done head to head with the G400 Vs G410....

  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭

    Hmmm I really like G410 Plus. Need to hit some more to draw firm conclusions though. I previously had g400 max in 9 degree head.

    With g410 I needed 10.5 head with the evenflow black 6.0. Spin was 1600-1800 with 9. Much lower spin then g400 max for me.

    Got solid numbers with 10.5 g410 plus, evenflow black 6.0 and weight in fade. Liked flight kn trackmab and helps avoid left side. I would like to demo it on course.

    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • goneil01goneil01 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    So I have both the G400 max and the G410 plus and can share some thoughts. I found that my swing speed was higher with the G410 compared to the Max , but my BALL SPEEDS and total distance were higher with the Max because the Max was lower spin and I had higher smash factors. I have similar but different shafts in each so its not exactly an apples to apples comparison (I know, I apologize but with the new G410 adapter they aren't compatible anymore).

    G400 Max (Fuji Ventus 6s): SS 106-108 mph, 2000-2100 spin, Smash Factor 1.48-1.50, 296.8 yards total
    G410 Plus (Accra TZ5 M4): SS 109-112 mph, 2500-2600 spin, Smash Factor 1.42-1.44, 287.2 yards total

    Anyways the Max is in the bag right now. I'm enjoying it on the course, and feel like I've hit some of my longest drives in the past couple years. Both are very forgiving, I don't think you can make a bad choice if you are choosing between the two. My take away advice would be: If you have a reliable shot shape that you want to focus on/correct, or need a flatter lie angle, then maybe I would go with the G410. If you don't I would maybe consider the Max since its slightly lower spin and straighter IMO. G410 LST is also coming out in a few weeks - I think that vs. the G400 Max will be the real test.

    Side note: if you don't mind a shaft with a little kick, I highly recommend the Ventus. It just seems to want to square up every shot, I like it even more than the Accra and that's also a great shaft.

  • bigbore56bigbore56 Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

    Hit the new G410 at the Demo day. No improvement in distance over my G400 MAX.

  • HedgehogHedgehog Members Posts: 338 ✭✭

    @Scottie68 said:
    Hit the 410 vs 400max, same shaft side by side on Trackman today.
    Final results similar, but how they got there was not.
    410 club head speed was consistently 2mph faster, but smash factor was consistently .04 lower, producing very similar ball speeds to 400max.
    Clearly I need to work on my swing, as I'd love to take advantage of the extra club head speed, but until then, I'd be sticking with my max.
    Note: beyond the same shaft in max as 410, I had others and swing speed with max was consistent, so I'm fairly confident it's the head.

    I had a similar experience in my M4 vs M6 testing, other one was faster to swing (according to Trackman) but in the end the ball speed was just the same. So radars read drivers differently, read only into the ball speed numbers from the data.

    TM M4 D-Type 9,5 Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    TM M6 15° AD DI 6x
    TM Rescue AD DI H 85x
    Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 105S
    RTX2.0 50°/54° RTX4 60°
    TM Spider X
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 463 ✭✭

    The max performance is shaft dependent in my opinion. I have owned and played it in 3 different shafts. I sold my first max to a friend after a short time because I wasn't happy with distance. I have picked up around 20 yards average switching shafts and lofting down to the big minus. I usually sit around 2200 spin with the Kuro kage xd.

    Ping G400 Max - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ - Aldila Rogue Silver 130 msi
    Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood - Aldila Rip Alpha
    Callaway Apex 2019 3h - Project X Catalyst
    Ping i210 - Pw-3 X100
    Ping Glide - 50/56/60
    Taylormade - Spider X slant neck

  • goneil01goneil01 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    @Ryan5508 said:
    The max performance is shaft dependent in my opinion. I have owned and played it in 3 different shafts. I sold my first max to a friend after a short time because I wasn't happy with distance. I have picked up around 20 yards average switching shafts and lofting down to the big minus. I usually sit around 2200 spin with the Kuro kage xd.

    +1 for the big minus setting, that knocked the spin way down for me too

Sign In or Register to comment.