MGA 2019 Rules Quiz

Sawgrass ·  
SawgrassSawgrass  15768WRX Points: 1,073Members Posts: 15,768 Titanium Tees
The Metropolitan Golf Association's 2019 Rules Quiz is up on their website. Answers will be coming out on March 15th.

The quiz is meant to be extremely challenging. In past years it certainly seems to have achieved that goal, but my initial take is that the quiz isn't as confounding as it typically is. We shall see.

https://www.mgagolf.org/content/2019-mga-rules-golf-quiz
Posted:

Comments

• AugsterAugster  4592WRX Points: 527Members Posts: 4,592 Titanium Tees
    Because the ROG are simpler, the test should be simpler. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks for the link!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4776WRX Points: 451Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,776 Titanium Tees
    It sure is difficult this year as well. Made it through some time ago and lost some hair...
    Posted:
  • KevCarterKevCarter Wisconsin 12925WRX Points: 467ClubWRX Posts: 12,925 ClubWRX
    I've been studying, and feel I'm ready to ace it. One question, is there a new procedure for dropping?

image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25292WRX Points: 2,354Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,292 ClubWRX
    One of the best threads of the year!
    Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15768WRX Points: 1,073Members Posts: 15,768 Titanium Tees
    KevCarter wrote:

I've been studying, and feel I'm ready to ace it. One question, is there a new procedure for dropping?

image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Hmmm. You might have something there. Maybe I spoke too soon about it being easier than normal.
    Posted:
  • NewbyNewby  7644WRX Points: 596Members Posts: 7,644 Titanium Tees
    Have a look here to see the problems that have been uncovered.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/golfrules/mga-quiz-2019-f27/
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Newby wrote:

https://www.tapatalk...-quiz-2019-f27/

I tried to sign up, using "Sawgrass" as a user name, and was told someone else already had that name. How upsetting!
    Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop  3788WRX Points: 797Members Posts: 3,788 Titanium Tees
    Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

I tried to sign up, using "Sawgrass" as a user name, and was told someone else already had that name. How upsetting!

bladehunter took it. just to p*ss you off!
    Posted:
    W/S D7 10.5*
    TM 2016 M1 14*
    Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*/22* / Maltby KE4 Tour FDI 19*
    Maltby TS1 5-P
    Maltby MG Tour Grind 52/56/60
    TM Ardmore 3
    Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

Odd. I can't find anyone using that name.
    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25292WRX Points: 2,354Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,292 ClubWRX
    For the rules experts, what's your expectation on what % you'll have correct?
    Posted:
    Newby wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

I am somewhat comforted by that. I wonder if I can talk them into freeing up an expired user name?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • KevCarterKevCarter Wisconsin 12925WRX Points: 467ClubWRX Posts: 12,925 ClubWRX
    Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

I am somewhat comforted by that. I wonder if I can talk them into freeing up an expired user name?

It wouldn't surprise me if you already signed up and forgot. I've done that. It may just be a matter of asking administration to check on the details...
    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
    KevCarter wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if you already signed up and forgot. I've done that. It may just be a matter of asking administration to check on the details...
    I certainly could have been guilty of signing up and forgetting, so thanks for the suggestion. But I tried to attend to this via my email address, and they said my email address was not on file. What kind of a Bozo would use a golf course's name as his screen name anyway?

By the way, your appearance has changed dramatically during the past few hours. I had remembered you as being more, may I say, three dimensional.
    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4776WRX Points: 451Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,776 Titanium Tees
    DavePelz4 wrote:

50% or less.

Those questions are not only tough but they are also extremely clever in misleading, not to mention there are quite a few not seem to have a correct answer in the published texts.
    Posted:
    Mr. Bean wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

50% or less.

Those questions are not only tough but they are also extremely clever in misleading, not to mention there are quite a few not seem to have a correct answer in the published texts.
    I'd be interested in hearing an example of a more egregious omission.
    Posted:
    Sawgrass wrote:

By the way, your appearance has changed dramatically during the past few hours. I had remembered you as being more, may I say, three dimensional.

LOL

I decided to use a different, better looking fat guy. I actually used this one for a long time in a different decade... image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again

Advertisement
    Sawgrass wrote:

Mr. Bean wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

50% or less.

Wait until the answers are published. Or do the Quiz.
    Posted:
    Mr. Bean wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:

Mr. Bean wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

50% or less.

Wait until the answers are published. Or do the Quiz.
    Well, I did take the quiz. And found an issue in question #14 in that it is unstated whether the ball resting against the flagstick is partially below the green's surface. I was curious as to whether you felt that any other question did not provide sufficient information. But hey, if you don't want to talk about it . . .
    Posted:
  • antipantip  1043WRX Points: 333Members Posts: 1,043 Platinum Tees
    KevCarter wrote:

And look! Rickie has borrowed Kev's log in.
    Posted:
    Sawgrass wrote:
    Well, I did take the quiz. And found an issue in question #14 in that it is unstated whether the ball resting against the flagstick is partially below the green's surface. I was curious as to whether you felt that any other question did not provide sufficient information. But hey, if you don't want to talk about it . . .
    IMO, the wording answers that question. "The ball comes to rest on the edge of the hole against the leaning flagstick." I suggest on the edge is not overhanging the edge. So I think there is enough to answer the question.
    Posted:
    antip wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:
    IMO, the wording answers that question. "The ball comes to rest on the edge of the hole against the leaning flagstick." I suggest on the edge is not overhanging the edge. So I think there is enough to answer the question.
    Okay, but IMO a ball can not touch the edge of a hole without overhanging the edge. After all, it’s a sphere. But I admire your confidence. Nevertheless, I “guessed” that your perspective is the intention of the question.

It was the only question for which I desired additional information.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Sawgrass wrote:

antip wrote:

Sawgrass wrote:
    Okay, but IMO a ball can not touch the edge of a hole without overhanging the edge. After all, it’s a sphere. But I admire your confidence. Nevertheless, I “guessed” that your perspective is the intention of the question.

It was the only question for which I desired additional information.
    Interesting the detail that we are provided, multiple diagrams, showing what is and what is not an embedded ball, but nothing equivalent on overhanging and when a ball is holed. But then it is all early days with the New Rules World.

I think the great charm of this year's quiz is they have identified a number of places where the published Rules/Interpretations do not give an unequivocal answer. No-one is prevented from making an educated guess, but if these cropped up in major tournament play before the cameras they would require a 'Clarification' equivalent ruling I think. And Rickie may not be happy.
    Posted:
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98  3608WRX Points: 231Members Posts: 3,608 Titanium Tees
    Sawgrass wrote:

Newby wrote:

[url="https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/golfrules/mga-quiz-2019-f27/"]https://www.tapatalk...-quiz-2019-f27/[/url]

You failed before you even began😂
    Posted:
    Mr. Bean wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

50% or less.

Do you think if you saw what happened as opposed to having to read it that your percentage would increase? I did the quiz and am really intrigued to see the results. Hoping to have a third right. It could be tough though.
    Posted:
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Mr. Bean wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

50% or less.

Do you think if you saw what happened as opposed to having to read it that your percentage would increase?

Absolutely!!! Those quizzes always have both inadequate as well as insufficient information. Hard to work on those when on the course you can see it with your own eyes and ask questions you feel are needed.

Believe me, if I gave 50% of my rulings incorrect I would be ashamed to continue as a referee.
    Posted:

So I'm intrigued to learn how everyone did on the quiz. Anyone care to share?

Posted:

Advertisement

They have issued 3 corrections

Posted:

On -, @Newby said:

Quizzes like that make me have an even greater appreciation for those of you who are there to support events from a rules perspective. On the basic rules I did acceptable but when you got into things with 4 or 5 different factors, I was lost and failed miserably. Fortunately, we don't play any 3 ball matches or play courses with a boundary fence and a swinging gate.

Posted:

On -, @Newby said:

For which questions?

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Mr. Bean said:

On -, @Newby said:

For which questions?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.