Peter Kessler ok?

McGee72McGee72 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
I always have remembered him from the Golf Channel and infomercials but recently came across him on twitter and....did he go off the deep end? He’s says some of the most off the wall, errogant, condescending things. Is he looked at as a joke now in the golf world?

Go check out some of his homemade videos he posts and see for yourself...

Comments

• wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,494 ✭✭
    There was another thread about this a couple months back.
  • McGee72McGee72 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    My bad should’ve checked.... looks to be locked up tho.

So I guess I’m not the only one to notice his behavior.
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    In short, no
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭
    I think the concensus in the other threads is he's either a guy searching for relevancy, off his meds, or both.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    W/S C300 15* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • CrushSticksCrushSticks Members Posts: 621 ✭✭
    the bishop wrote:
    I think the concensus in the other threads is he's either a guy searching for relevancy, off his meds, or both.

Maybe he’s just searching for relevant meds.
    Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
    Adams Tight Lies 3-16
    Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
    Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
    Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
    Vokey SM 09 56
    Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"
  • McGee72McGee72 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    As a big Payne Stewart fan I like to hear some of his stories from being around Payne but other than that he’s to goofy to be taken serious.
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    This is the Perfect Thread
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,543 ClubWRX
    Unfortunately Kessler asked Mr. Palmer a question that Mr. Palmer didn't care much for. Afterall, Arnie was endorsing a driver that was deemed illegal by the USGA and Kessler took him to task on it. I understand that Arnie didn't endorse this for tournament use but for the leisure amateur playing a casual round. I don't generally have an issue with that but if a club is deemed illegal then I don't think it should be in play for anyone. That includes any equipment that is deemed illegal. I loved Peter Kessler on TGC back in the day. Some of the programs he hosted were among the best TGC had to offer. TGC is a far cry from what it once was. It's so bad now I don't watch it. I have not seen or heard Kessler in quite some time. He is a wealth of golf knowledge.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,655 ✭✭
    Hank Haney is walking the same path. He gets crazier every day.
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭
    It takes a special kind of something to refer yourself as golf’s greatest renaissance man.

I mean who says that about themselves?
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 910 ✭✭
    anth wrote:
    It takes a special kind of something to refer yourself as golf’s greatest renaissance man.

I mean who says that about themselves?

No one I know comes close to saying that about themselves....in golf, or in other walks of life.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,309 ClubWRX

It's the Voodoo Cream. Too much of the Voodoo has absorbed into his system.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,454 ✭✭
    Liked as a golf interviewer hate his presumptionousness now.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,615 ✭✭
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I always thought he had a great voice for golf. Unfortunately, the things that come out of his mouth these days makes me think he is auditioning for a primetime spot on Fox News or MSNBC than TGC
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    I’d like to see Peter Kessler, Matt Adams, Geoff Shackleford, and Wayne Player all be part of a four man program on Golf Channel. They could allow live wagering on each episode for how long it takes before somebody gets head-butted.
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 HL Driver 
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 3 wood 15*
    TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood 19*
    TaylorMade RBZ hybrid 22*
    TaylorMade AeroBurner HL irons 4/AW
    Cleveland 588 56* SW
    Ping Zing 2 BeCu putter
  • bandrzbandrz Members Posts: 957 ✭✭
    edited Mar 2, 2019 9:10pm #18

there is a lot i don't like about his show. He's frankly not a good speaker and the constant plugs (I'd do it too, FYI). But he has incredible insight to the game at the highest level, and he's right most of the time. I enjoy his direct approach and he doesn't back down.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    bandrz wrote:

there is a lot i don't like about his show. He's frankly not a good speaker and the constant plugs (I'd do it too, FYI). But he has incredible insight to the game at the highest level, and he's right most of the time. I enjoy his direct approach and he doesn't back down.
    He needs to get off his USGA bashing. I'm not defending the USGA, but he wouldn't have a show if he quit talking about them.
    caniac6 wrote:

bandrz wrote:

He needs to get off his USGA bashing. I'm not defending the USGA, but he wouldn't have a show if he quit talking about them.

His insights into the modern tour are pretty interesting. But, his Voodoo Cream is just re-labeled Aspercream, and his constant USGA bashing is over the top. Michael Breed is starting to go in the same direction. It's like listening to your crazy uncle.
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭

caniac6 wrote:

bandrz wrote:

His insights into the modern tour are pretty interesting. But, his Voodoo Cream is just re-labeled Aspercream, and his constant USGA bashing is over the top. Michael Breed is starting to go in the same direction. It's like listening to your crazy uncle.
    Hey, wait a minute here.

What's that supposed to mean?

I'm a crazy uncle.......
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,259 ✭✭
    His twitter is even better than Club Pro Guy. Comedy gold.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,099 ✭✭
    Peter is a smart guy, and he doesn’t mind reminding you of it either.

I will give credit for one major thing most of the talking heads fail to fully grasp. He does his homework. He knows his subject backwards and forwards before doing an interview or giving his opinion.

I enjoy him in small doses.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,782 ✭✭
    edited Mar 4, 2019 9:06am #24
    So I took a glance at Kessler’s Twitter. He does seem quite delusional. “I put the Golf Channel and Sirius XM PGA Tour on the map” and “I invented the hybrid” come to mind.

What I really couldn’t get over was his appearance. I get that people get older, but he quite literally looks like a different person. Completely unrecognizable. I had the video on mute thinking, “why is this guy on Kessler’s Twitter” then I flicked on the volume, and sure enough, that familiar voice.

By the way, I thought you were supposed to become more self-aware as you age?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭

It's nice to know that, when I get that crazy, there will be a few people there that I know already
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭

So I took a glance at Kessler's Twitter. He does seem quite delusional. "I put the Golf Channel and Sirius XM PGA Tour on the map" and "I invented the hybrid come to mind.

What I really couldn't get over was his appearance. I get that people get older, but he quite literally looks like a different person. Completely unrecognizable. I had the video on mute thinking, "why is this guy on Kessler's Twitter" then I flicked on the volume, and sure enough, that familiar voice.

By the way, I thought you were supposed to become more self-aware as you age?

Is this Peter Kessler? Kinda looks like him

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭
    LOL saw that pic and heard Lovitz yelling, 'I give you..... THE HYBRID!!'
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    It must eat Kessler alive that his Twitter doesn't have the coveted blue checkmark.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    edited Mar 3, 2019 10:00pm #29
    On the bright side, my wife still carries the original Perfect Club that she bought decades ago before Kessler lost his marbles.....he talked her into it. It might the only infomercial club that actually works
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    There is a paragraph on Kessler in Tiger's "new" book from a year ago, supposedly.

So I took a glance at Kessler's Twitter. He does seem quite delusional. "I put the Golf Channel and Sirius XM PGA Tour on the map" and "I invented the hybrid come to mind.

I don't know about the Golf Channel and Sirius XM PGA Tour claims, but I do credit him with inventing, or at least popularizing, the hybrid. His Perfect Club made its inroads into the game via his infomercials and was derided by pros. Yet, it found so much success among amateurs, that conventional OEMs started making and perfecting them. Now, just about every pro carries one. The Perfect Club is a good example of how golf technology often bubbles up from amateurs to pros, not the other way around.