Leaving the pin in fundamentally changes the game!

135678
8

Comments

  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5784WRX Points: 1,322Members Posts: 5,784 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 4, 2019 #62
    I'm not going to respond in-line (quoting) to the above argument to save space, but will still comment:



    I think it's yet to be determined whether leaving the pin in is an advantage or disadvantage. There's nothing conclusive scientifically that I've seen. So far, based on the studies and my own experience I really don't think it helps other than for those who gain confidence visually by using the stick to help with depth perception or alignment. I'd bet that in terms of helping the ball go or stay in the hole or out of the hole it's close to a statistical "wash."



    Edit: to add that those believing it helps them visually already had the option of having it tended under the previous rules.
    Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • josh21120josh21120  38WRX Points: 43Members Posts: 38 Bunkers
    Joined:  #63
    B_of_H wrote:
    I found it extremely annoying this weekend playing in foursomes. One guy wanted it in on putts longer than 10 feet or so, another always wanted it in, another was using it only in certain situations and I prefer to have it out unless the putt is super long. I really wish they would have left this rule change out of the new rules. if the intent was to speed up play it certainly did the precise opposite in our group.




    Mostly, folks I play with tend to keep the flag in for putts where they would have had the flag tended anyway. Then out. But, today, I did play with a guy(stranger)who insisted on flag-in for ALL putts. Replacing flag for 6” putts - kind of annoying.

    IMO, none of the rules, new or old, have much impact on speed of play anyway. Self-awareness, desire to “keep pace”, and appropriate slow-play consequences, are needed (IMO). Good luck, right? Haha
    Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1180WRX Points: 356Members Posts: 1,180 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #64
    I’m a fan
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • egehoskiegehoski  54WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 54 Bunkers
    Joined:  #65
    I haven’t gotten the opportunity to see how this will play out in my world yet, because I live in Michigan. I’ve left the flag in playing solo, when I’m just cruising through a quick 9. But I want it out when I’m playing a real round. Just my preference.

    I do know that not everyone plays at courses with perfect cups and flagsticks. It could be a real pain if guys keep straightening the flag prior to putting. Just a thought.

    I guess I’ll see how it plays out when league season starts up here. But me personally, I’m not into it. (Advantage or not)
    Posted:
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer  2604WRX Points: 881Members Posts: 2,604 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #66
    egehoski wrote:


    I haven't gotten the opportunity to see how this will play out in my world yet, because I live in Michigan. I've left the flag in playing solo, when I'm just cruising through a quick 9. But I want it out when I'm playing a real round. Just my preference.

    I do know that not everyone plays at courses with perfect cups and flagsticks. It could be a real pain if guys keep straightening the flag prior to putting. Just a thought.

    I guess I'll see how it plays out when league season starts up here. But me personally, I'm not into it. (Advantage or not)




    I was in your camp. I thought I wouldn't be into it. Tried it. Liked it. I honestly believe speeds up play around the greens, which is great because it gives me more time to wait on the next tee en route to playing in the exact same amount of total time.
    Posted:
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • bodhi555bodhi555  931WRX Points: 298Handicap: 8Members Posts: 931 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #67
    Haven't had a chance to try it with my normal four ball as they are all still hibernating, but I've had a chance to try both approaches now.



    On long putts I'll be leaving it in, as it has killed the need to tend the flag, which should in turn save some wear around the holes themselves.



    Anything inside 30 feet ill still be pulling it tho, as I'm finding it far too distracting having a flag flapping away when I'm putting, and I've had a few that didn't hit the pin square on bounce back out again, that would have gone in without. I'm generally a pretty quick player, so have no qualms about being the awkward one who has it pulled if it comes to it.
    Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • davep043davep043  4694WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,694 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #68
    dpb5031 wrote:


    I'm not going to respond in-line (quoting) to the above argument to save space, but will still comment:



    I think it's yet to be determined whether leaving the pin in is an advantage or disadvantage. There's nothing conclusive scientifically that I've seen. So far, based on the studies and my own experience I really don't think it helps other than for those who gain confidence visually by using the stick to help with depth perception or alignment. I'd bet that in terms of helping the ball go or stay in the hole or out of the hole it's close to a statistical "wash."



    Edit: to add that those believing it helps them visually already had the option of having it tended under the previous rules.


    I believe he was suggesting that, due to some of the randomness of the bounces, the flagstick could change the results of individual competitions. Someone could hit the stick and get a good bounce, another guy might get a bad bounce, and we'd have a different winner. I'd say that's inevitable, but I don't see it as a big argument against the changed rule.
    Posted:

    Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5784WRX Points: 1,322Members Posts: 5,784 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #69
    davep043 wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:


    I'm not going to respond in-line (quoting) to the above argument to save space, but will still comment:



    I think it's yet to be determined whether leaving the pin in is an advantage or disadvantage. There's nothing conclusive scientifically that I've seen. So far, based on the studies and my own experience I really don't think it helps other than for those who gain confidence visually by using the stick to help with depth perception or alignment. I'd bet that in terms of helping the ball go or stay in the hole or out of the hole it's close to a statistical "wash."



    Edit: to add that those believing it helps them visually already had the option of having it tended under the previous rules.


    I believe he was suggesting that, due to some of the randomness of the bounces, the flagstick could change the results of individual competitions. Someone could hit the stick and get a good bounce, another guy might get a bad bounce, and we'd have a different winner. I'd say that's inevitable, but I don't see it as a big argument against the changed rule.




    Thanks...and I dont disagree, but dont see how it's any different than a number of other "rub of the green" scenarios.
    Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Big BenBig Ben  9301WRX Points: 483Handicap: 5Members Posts: 9,301 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #70
    Just leave that sucker in and save the time and hassle. It works well when everyone agrees.
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • oikos1oikos1  2625WRX Points: 450Members Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #71

    davep043 wrote:

    oikos1 wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    oikos1 wrote:


    Let me get this straight. You can incur a two stroke penalty for giving or asking for advice, like for choosing a club, but can now leave an object (flag stick) upright in the line of play when on the green where it once was a two stroke penalty for being struck.



    So, not only is it no longer a penalty, but could be used as an advantage in a game where one stroke can mean the difference between a tour card, making a cut, or thousands of dollars. Oh yeah, and that club championship trophy.



    fun·da·men·tal:



    noun

    noun: fundamental; plural noun: fundamentals

    1.

    a central or primary rule or principle on which something is based.



    If having the option of leaving the flag stick in isn't considered a fundamental change, than the rules of golf established by the USGA and RA have no fundamentals.


    Yet the Rules allowed the flagstick to be left in place for 12 years, 1956 to 1968. Does that mean the fundamentals changed in 1969, when the penalty was (re)introduced? Was the validity of the US Open or the Masters somehow lessened for those 12 years? This is a change, and one I advocated against, but I don't see it making a significant difference in scoring.




    The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as a few strokes as possible. Any rule change that creates the opportunity for more options to score, or less options for that matter, fundamentally changes the game. You say you don't see it making a significant difference in scoring, but it could make a significant difference in who is scoring during a particular round. If someone can gain one stroke by leaving the flag in, where they never had the possibility before, how is that not a fundamental change in scoring? Further, if you were to lose a match to someone who was able to benefit from leaving the flag in over the course of a round, clearly the match/game changed fundamentally from if you had played the match under the 2018 rules?



    I'm also aware of the rule change for that period of time, and yes, the fundamentals for how to score on the green did change, just as they did when the stymie was removed from match play in 1952. While we are no longer playing golf in 1968, just what was the reason for re-instituting the penalty after 1968?



    I'm not arguing right or wrong, or even how or when someone will benefit (and golfers will benefit). I won't even debate the "research" since there seems to be conflicting results, which would be expected this early into the process. I'm simply arguing the opportunity for an advantage that did not exist in the modern era has been introduced into the current rules. In fact, I find the small sample of examples given for it not making a difference equivocal at best. Arguing for handicaps improving or not bears no correlation to the flag being "in/out" and the benefit of a particular moment in time (i.e. putt). Nor does citing examples of "I had a putt that would've gone in had I left the flag out".



    The only fact is that you can now leave an object (vertical flag stick) in the hole, on the green and in the line of play. I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be finding ways to best use this rule to my advantage until it changes.



    Meanwhile there's another thread with people wanting to ban lines on the golf ball. I love this place.


    I can't find anything to disagree with, other than the word "fundamentally". To me, this is a tweak, not a fundamental change.


    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.



    I'm glad to see you concede that there is an inherent advantage to the new rule, even though you may not want to admit it.



    As for every other golfer using this rule to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule to their advantage.
    Posted:
  • oikos1oikos1  2625WRX Points: 450Members Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 5, 2019 #72


    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.




    Your words show you understand there actually is an inherent advantage available to golfers within the rule change, as it either is or is not an advantage to have the option of leaving the flag stick in (an option that did not exist for the last 50 years), There is no in between. As you said, you are going to find ways to use the rule change to your advantage. You get it, even though for some reason you don't want to acknowledge it.



    As for every other golfer using the rule change to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule change to their advantage.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • B_of_HB_of_H  268WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 268 Greens
    Joined:  edited Mar 5, 2019 #73
    Big Ben wrote:


    Just leave that sucker in and save the time and hassle. It works well when everyone agrees.




    actually I think everyone just needs to take it out. it works perfectly that way. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />





    (point being that i'm not going to go against what I believe to be the ethics of the game because some loser runs the usga)
    Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6630WRX Points: 1,078Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,630 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #74
    dpb5031 wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:


    I'm not going to respond in-line (quoting) to the above argument to save space, but will still comment:



    I think it's yet to be determined whether leaving the pin in is an advantage or disadvantage. There's nothing conclusive scientifically that I've seen. So far, based on the studies and my own experience I really don't think it helps other than for those who gain confidence visually by using the stick to help with depth perception or alignment. I'd bet that in terms of helping the ball go or stay in the hole or out of the hole it's close to a statistical "wash."



    Edit: to add that those believing it helps them visually already had the option of having it tended under the previous rules.


    I believe he was suggesting that, due to some of the randomness of the bounces, the flagstick could change the results of individual competitions. Someone could hit the stick and get a good bounce, another guy might get a bad bounce, and we'd have a different winner. I'd say that's inevitable, but I don't see it as a big argument against the changed rule.




    Thanks...and I dont disagree, but dont see how it's any different than a number of other "rub of the green" scenarios.




    You bring up an interesting point though. Pin in/out (I believe) definitely save a little time, perhaps as much as 10 minutes per round and the stats will never prove anything anyway as each incident is unique but something golfers lament is "luck".



    Should the Rules have added an additional "run of the green" scenario ? Of course we've always had that anyway with lip outs & lip ins but,,,,,,,,,,,, image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />



    But, as any "would've gone in, would've not gone in" can never be proven,,,,,, your house is safe,,,,,,, and that's the main thing. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

  • Ignatius ReillyIgnatius Reilly  485WRX Points: 197Handicap: 14Members Posts: 485 Greens
    Joined:  #75
    oikos1 wrote:



    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.




    Your words show you understand there actually is an inherent advantage available to golfers within the rule change, as it either is or is not an advantage to have the option of leaving the flag stick in (an option that did not exist for the last 50 years), There is no in between. As you said, you are going to find ways to use the rule change to your advantage. You get it, even though for some reason you don't want to acknowledge it.



    As for every other golfer using the rule change to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule change to their advantage.




    I suppose so. Not sure that's a problem though.



    It's really no different than all the equipment changes to clubs and balls. They fundamentally changed the game too, and there's not much we can do about it.
    Posted:
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, CO 572WRX Points: 279Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #76
    B_of_H wrote:

    Big Ben wrote:


    Just leave that sucker in and save the time and hassle. It works well when everyone agrees.




    actually I think everyone just needs to take it out. it works perfectly that way.





    (point being that i'm not going to go against what I believe to be the ethics of the game because some loser runs the usga)




    Oh you're serious
    Posted:
  • B_of_HB_of_H  268WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 268 Greens
    Joined:  #77
    Joker91 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:

    Big Ben wrote:


    Just leave that sucker in and save the time and hassle. It works well when everyone agrees.




    actually I think everyone just needs to take it out. it works perfectly that way.





    (point being that i'm not going to go against what I believe to be the ethics of the game because some loser runs the usga)




    Oh you're serious




    i was kind of kidding as the idea that 'everyone needs to agree' is unrealistic. Personally I think the PGA tour needs to take the lead here and ban putting with the flagstick in on all tours. Then hopefully courses will adopt a local rule and eventually the usga will change the rule back to where it was. just my .02
    Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • davep043davep043  4694WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,694 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #78
    B_of_H wrote:

    Joker91 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:

    Big Ben wrote:


    Just leave that sucker in and save the time and hassle. It works well when everyone agrees.




    actually I think everyone just needs to take it out. it works perfectly that way.





    (point being that i'm not going to go against what I believe to be the ethics of the game because some loser runs the usga)




    Oh you're serious




    i was kind of kidding as the idea that 'everyone needs to agree' is unrealistic. Personally I think the PGA tour needs to take the lead here and ban putting with the flagstick in on all tours. Then hopefully courses will adopt a local rule and eventually the usga will change the rule back to where it was. just my .02


    Except that assuming they choose to play under the Rules of Golf, they are not permitted to make such a local rule.
    Posted:

    Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

  • B_of_HB_of_H  268WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 268 Greens
    Joined:  edited Mar 5, 2019 #79
    davep043 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:

    Joker91 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:

    Big Ben wrote:


    Just leave that sucker in and save the time and hassle. It works well when everyone agrees.




    actually I think everyone just needs to take it out. it works perfectly that way.





    (point being that i'm not going to go against what I believe to be the ethics of the game because some loser runs the usga)




    Oh you're serious




    i was kind of kidding as the idea that 'everyone needs to agree' is unrealistic. Personally I think the PGA tour needs to take the lead here and ban putting with the flagstick in on all tours. Then hopefully courses will adopt a local rule and eventually the usga will change the rule back to where it was. just my .02


    Except that assuming they choose to play under the Rules of Golf, they are not permitted to make such a local rule.




    the usga doesn't own you and the tour can do whatever they want. the tour is bigger and more powerful than the usga. Once that happens then the public can force the usga to change. Nobody will want to putt with the flagstick in if its banned on tour. (well most people at least)
    Posted:
    Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, CO 572WRX Points: 279Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #80
    Oh you're still serious
    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9486WRX Points: 2,986Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,486 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #81
    it is especially great when you have that straight putt right up the shadow of the pole.
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 857Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #82
    No it doesn't.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9486WRX Points: 2,986Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,486 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 5, 2019 #83
    Obee wrote:


    No it doesn't.




    correct, placing the hole above the ground like a basketball hoop with a backboard would fundamentally change the game. you would need a putter and would have to have an amazing wedge game. This is just a slight alteration. if you go back to the original rules of the game. There have been many "fundamental shifts" over time.



    FIRST PRINTED RULES!!!



    1. You must Tee your Ball within a Club's length of the Hole.

    2. Your Tee must be upon the Ground.

    3. You are not to change the Ball which you Strike off the Tee.

    4. You are not to remove Stones, Bones or any Break Club, for the sake of playing your Ball, Except upon the fair Green and that only / within a Club's length of your Ball.

    5. If your Ball comes among watter, or any wattery filth, you are at liberty to take out your Ball & bringing it behind the hazard and Teeing it, you may play it with any Club and allow your Adversary a Stroke for so getting out your Ball.

    6. If your Balls be found any where touching one another, You are to lift the first Ball, till you play the last.

    7. At Holling, you are to play your Ball honestly for the Hole, and not to play upon your Adversary's Ball, not lying in your way to the Hole.

    8. If you should lose your Ball, by it's being taken up, or any other way, you are to go back to the Spot, where you struck last, & drop another Ball, And allow your adversary a Stroke for the misfortune.

    9. No man at Holling his Ball, is to be allowed, to mark his way to the Hole with his Club, or anything else.

    10. If a Ball be stopp'd by any Person, Horse, Dog or anything else, The Ball so stop'd must be play'd where it lyes.

    11. If you draw your Club in Order to Strike, & proceed so far in the Stroke as to be e Accounted a Stroke.

    12. He whose Ball lyes farthest from the Hole is obliged to play first.

    13. Neither Trench, Ditch or ****, made for the preservation of the Links, nor the Scholar's Holes, or the Soldier's Lines, Shall be accounted a Hazard; But the Ball is to be taken out teed /and play'd with any Iron Club.







    It is funny that the **** is because there is a filter in this website that will not let you use a legitimate word because of current misusing of that word. haha.
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • davep043davep043  4694WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,694 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #84
    B_of_H wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:




    i was kind of kidding as the idea that 'everyone needs to agree' is unrealistic. Personally I think the PGA tour needs to take the lead here and ban putting with the flagstick in on all tours. Then hopefully courses will adopt a local rule and eventually the usga will change the rule back to where it was. just my .02


    Except that assuming they choose to play under the Rules of Golf, they are not permitted to make such a local rule.




    the usga doesn't own you and the tour can do whatever they want. the tour is bigger and more powerful than the usga. Once that happens then the public can force the usga to change. Nobody will want to putt with the flagstick in if its banned on tour. (well most people at least)


    The Tour certainly CAN do whatever they want. But I will not be holding my breath waiting for the PGA Tour to break ranks with the USGA and R&A and make their own rules. Take the current twitterstorm, and then imagine when the PGA Tour starts from scratch to make their own comprehensive set of Rules. They can't even make an effective and enforceable rule for Pace of Play, do you expect they could succeed when every single thing becomes their responsibility? Oh, remember to start from scratch, no plagiarizing the copyrighted work of the current ruling bodies.
    Posted:

    Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

  • eric13eric13  66WRX Points: 54Members Posts: 66 Bunkers
    Joined:  #85
    Maybe pins should be eliminated from golf completely. #sarcasm
    Posted:
  • davep043davep043  4694WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,694 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #86
    eric13 wrote:


    Maybe pins should be eliminated from golf completely. #sarcasm


    We'd be like the Scots originally, before regular greens were even established, wandering around the dunes, wondering where that evil bastxxx decided to put the hole today.
    Posted:

    Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5784WRX Points: 1,322Members Posts: 5,784 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 5, 2019 #87
    oikos1 wrote:



    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.




    Your words show you understand there actually is an inherent advantage available to golfers within the rule change, as it either is or is not an advantage to have the option of leaving the flag stick in (an option that did not exist for the last 50 years), There is no in between. As you said, you are going to find ways to use the rule change to your advantage. You get it, even though for some reason you don't want to acknowledge it.



    As for every other golfer using the rule change to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule change to their advantage.




    Where's the proof of this alleged "inherent advantage?" I'm not convinced based on all I've seen that there's any real advantage, and if there is one, my bet is that it will ultimately prove to be statistically insignificant and/or case by case dependent
    Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!  18100WRX Points: 1,026Members Posts: 18,100 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #88
    B_of_H wrote:
    the usga doesn't own you and the tour can do whatever they want. the tour is bigger and more powerful than the usga. Once that happens then the public can force the usga to change. Nobody will want to putt with the flagstick in if its banned on tour. (well most people at least)




    It's not in their best interest to pick this fight, or any other fight. People have this idea of the PGA Tour and how they're going to stick it to the USGA whenever they get the chance. The problem is, this flagstick drama hasn't been an issue at all.
    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • c7015c7015  2263WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 2,263 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #89
    josh21120 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:
    I found it extremely annoying this weekend playing in foursomes. One guy wanted it in on putts longer than 10 feet or so, another always wanted it in, another was using it only in certain situations and I prefer to have it out unless the putt is super long. I really wish they would have left this rule change out of the new rules. if the intent was to speed up play it certainly did the precise opposite in our group.




    today, I did play with a guy(stranger)who insisted on flag-in for ALL putts. Replacing flag for 6” putts - kind of annoying.






    you made him putt out the 6" and he is the annoying one ...j/k



    if a guy is puttin for 6" the pin is going back in that hole soon anyway ...
    Posted:
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Steele47Steele47  1715WRX Points: 856Members Posts: 1,715 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #90
    I'm in the 'will slow some groups up' camp. Unintended consequences strikes again.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • pstmstrpstmstr  64WRX Points: 2Handicap: 12Members Posts: 64 Bunkers
    Joined:  #91
    Haven’t taken the pin out of a hole yet this year and it definitely speeds up play.
    Posted:
8

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.