Leaving the pin in fundamentally changes the game!

124678

Comments

  • mankumanku Members Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 7:15pm #92
    c7015 wrote:

    josh21120 wrote:

    B_of_H wrote:
    I found it extremely annoying this weekend playing in foursomes. One guy wanted it in on putts longer than 10 feet or so, another always wanted it in, another was using it only in certain situations and I prefer to have it out unless the putt is super long. I really wish they would have left this rule change out of the new rules. if the intent was to speed up play it certainly did the precise opposite in our group.




    today, I did play with a guy(stranger)who insisted on flag-in for ALL putts. Replacing flag for 6” putts - kind of annoying.






    you made him putt out the 6" and he is the annoying one ...j/k



    if a guy is puttin for 6" the pin is going back in that hole soon anyway ...




    Perhaps the poster pulled a Nigel Tufnel!



    https://www.youtube....h?v=071cXxCNj5A
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pstmstr wrote:


    Haven’t taken the pin out of a hole yet this year and it definitely speeds up play.
    My normal playing partners decided we aren’t taking it out at all. We played 32 holes this way last Sat and it was a joy.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • TingtingTingting Members Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster

  • beluga99beluga99 If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too... Members Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elon Musk need to develop a flagstick that hovers 6 inches above the hole using electromagnets in the cup and at the base of the flag. Flag can be removed out of the magnetic field easily but would put to bed the flag in / flag out debate whilst still retaining its required functionality. Patent pending.
    G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Odyssey
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tingting wrote:


    Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster




    I agree. Leaving it in is faster.



    But don't you realize that doing that will make your round slower ?



    And when "they" take it out and it's now one of the other 2 guys' turn to putt, they won't put it back in for you whoever ?



    It's the Rule. It's only good etiquette to help out whichever way each guy wants it.



    Not to mention the animosity that will eventually develop.



    Sheesh
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

    oikos1 wrote:



    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.




    Your words show you understand there actually is an inherent advantage available to golfers within the rule change, as it either is or is not an advantage to have the option of leaving the flag stick in (an option that did not exist for the last 50 years), There is no in between. As you said, you are going to find ways to use the rule change to your advantage. You get it, even though for some reason you don't want to acknowledge it.



    As for every other golfer using the rule change to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule change to their advantage.




    Where's the proof of this alleged "inherent advantage?" I'm not convinced based on all I've seen that there's any real advantage, and if there is one, my bet is that it will ultimately prove to be statistically insignificant and/or case by case dependent




    Too early for proof and it doesn't matter. I haven't convinced you or some others that having an option to leave the flag in where once before you could not is an advantage and I'm done trying. You do realize though that the first time you, or those who believe it isn't an advantage, leave the flag in on a slippery down hill six footer and your intent is to use the flag stick to your benefit, you've conceded the argument that it isn't an advantage.



    I feel pretty confident in saying that future matches/rounds/scores will have outcomes that wouldn't have been possible prior to the rule change and I don't believe that was the original intent of the ruling bodies when they made the change.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    oikos1 wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:

    oikos1 wrote:



    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.




    Your words show you understand there actually is an inherent advantage available to golfers within the rule change, as it either is or is not an advantage to have the option of leaving the flag stick in (an option that did not exist for the last 50 years), There is no in between. As you said, you are going to find ways to use the rule change to your advantage. You get it, even though for some reason you don't want to acknowledge it.



    As for every other golfer using the rule change to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule change to their advantage.




    Where's the proof of this alleged "inherent advantage?" I'm not convinced based on all I've seen that there's any real advantage, and if there is one, my bet is that it will ultimately prove to be statistically insignificant and/or case by case dependent




    Too early for proof and it doesn't matter. I haven't convinced you or some others that having an option to leave the flag in where once before you could not is an advantage and I'm done trying. You do realize though that the first time you, or those who believe it isn't an advantage, leave the flag in on a slippery down hill six footer and your intent is to use the flag stick to your benefit, you've conceded the argument that it isn't an advantage.



    I feel pretty confident in saying that future matches/rounds/scores will have outcomes that wouldn't have been possible prior to the rule change and I don't believe that was the original intent of the ruling bodies when they made the change.




    Well perhaps you have not convinced me because you claimed an "inherent advantage," which by definition indicates something that is an ingrained and permanent attribute. I disagree. IMO It may be helpful in certain circumstances and detrimental in others... There's nothing "inherent" about that unless you want to get down in the weeds with specific scenarios and examples.
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

    oikos1 wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:

    oikos1 wrote:



    DP, I chose your post to reply to because I found more to disagree with than you.



    For the first bolded part, I don't understand the point being made. All players now have the option to putt with the pin in or out, so it's a fair and level playing field. How is one person advantaged over another?



    For the 2nd bolded bit, it's really just an extension of the first. I, like every other golfer, will find ways to use this (and every other rule) to my advantage. Who wouldn't? You play by the same rules as everyone else, and you abide by them to the best of your ability - and sometimes that can be an advantage - but that advantage is available to everyone.




    Your words show you understand there actually is an inherent advantage available to golfers within the rule change, as it either is or is not an advantage to have the option of leaving the flag stick in (an option that did not exist for the last 50 years), There is no in between. As you said, you are going to find ways to use the rule change to your advantage. You get it, even though for some reason you don't want to acknowledge it.



    As for every other golfer using the rule change to their advantage, the fact that some believe there is no advantage indicates they do not understand how to use this rule change to their advantage.




    Where's the proof of this alleged "inherent advantage?" I'm not convinced based on all I've seen that there's any real advantage, and if there is one, my bet is that it will ultimately prove to be statistically insignificant and/or case by case dependent




    Too early for proof and it doesn't matter. I haven't convinced you or some others that having an option to leave the flag in where once before you could not is an advantage and I'm done trying. You do realize though that the first time you, or those who believe it isn't an advantage, leave the flag in on a slippery down hill six footer and your intent is to use the flag stick to your benefit, you've conceded the argument that it isn't an advantage.



    I feel pretty confident in saying that future matches/rounds/scores will have outcomes that wouldn't have been possible prior to the rule change and I don't believe that was the original intent of the ruling bodies when they made the change.




    Well perhaps you have not convinced me because you claimed an "inherent advantage," which by definition indicates something that is an ingrained and permanent attribute. I disagree. IMO It may be helpful in certain circumstances and detrimental in others... There's nothing "inherent" about that unless you want to get down in the weeds with specific scenarios and examples.




    @#$;#! My bourbon and I had to peek back into this thread. My comment about recognizing an inherent advantage was specifically in reference to one individuals thoughts and their reflection in words, not that the flag itself or any particular action had an inherent advantage.



    I would agree that leaving the flag stick in "may be helpful in certain circumstances and detrimental in others". The inherent advantage within the rule change, or the essential nature, is the option that one has in choosing which circumstances may be beneficial and which ones may be detrimental, an option that did not exist prior to the recent rule change. Therefore, the inherent advantage, or as you say "ingrained or permanent attribute", is the choice, not the act or the object itself.



    Definitions and meanings of words can get messy, so i will still stand by my earlier comment:



    "The only fact is that you can now leave an object (vertical flag stick) in the hole, on the green and in the line of play."



    If you or anyone else doesn't see that as an opportunity for an advantage, I'm sure your opponents will be quite content.
  • KevinxKevinx Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 7:04am #100
    Unless the pin is never taken out it will speed up play 2 minutes a hole. All the rule changes are stupid. You might as well let the players kick the ball away from behind a tree to so they don't have to go thru the drop routine.

    I will say while playing alone for convenience I always left the flag in.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 7:31am #101
    oikos1 wrote:
    @#$;#! My bourbon and I had to peek back into this thread. My comment about recognizing an inherent advantage was specifically in reference to one individuals thoughts and their reflection in words, not that the flag itself or any particular action had an inherent advantage.



    I would agree that leaving the flag stick in "may be helpful in certain circumstances and detrimental in others". The inherent advantage within the rule change, or the essential nature, is the option that one has in choosing which circumstances may be beneficial and which ones may be detrimental, an option that did not exist prior to the recent rule change. Therefore, the inherent advantage, or as you say "ingrained or permanent attribute", is the choice, not the act or the object itself.



    Definitions and meanings of words can get messy, so i will still stand by my earlier comment:



    "The only fact is that you can now leave an object (vertical flag stick) in the hole, on the green and in the line of play."



    If you or anyone else doesn't see that as an opportunity for an advantage, I'm sure your opponents will be quite content.




    That's fine and dandy, and it very well may be that it could create a potential advantage, but that doesn't mean that it "fundamentally" changed the game.



    Because it didn't.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tingting wrote:


    Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster




    So when they walk up and pull the pin. Who puts it back in ? Lol.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Tingting wrote:


    Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster




    So when they walk up and pull the pin. Who puts it back in ? Lol.


    They would.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have the alpha male in the group scold and shame the group into leaving the flag in.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    aliikane wrote:


    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.


    This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

    aliikane wrote:


    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.


    This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.


    My sentiments exactly
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    davep043 wrote:

    aliikane wrote:


    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.


    This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.




    Strictly by observation over the years Dave, but I don’t see how it can’t help but aid in some part, no matter what a small percentage it is. I’ve seen so many more shots helped by hitting the pin as opposed to those being hurt. By probably a 100 to 1 count. And we have a tendency to focus on balls that hit the stick and fall in the cup. Those are obviously terrrific and save a stroke. But what about those shots that are screaming over the green, leading bunkers, rough, water, etc. Even if the ball doesn’t fall, even if doesn’t stop close enough that the person makes the ensuing putt it can save a big(ish) number.



    So if a flagstick kicks out a ball that might have fallen, you’ve lost one stroke (most likely scenario). That’s all you can lose. But the number you can save is open ended.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 10:40am #109
    i dont really care either way. I have not played since the rule changed because it has been a very rough, long winter.



    if i am playing and whoever i am with (I don't have any regulars) wants it out, I will pull it. IF they want to leave it in, I will leave it. For years when playing by myself, i have left it in simply so I didn't have to walk back and forth.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    aliikane wrote:


    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.


    This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.


    My sentiments exactly




    Oh I don't know, we could see a new approach to putting take root. Kind of like Fowler's approach on steroids. When close enough, use an aggressive stroke that will hit the pin an fall. It will take one person to show that it's better before everyone who can will pile on.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    cxx wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    aliikane wrote:


    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.


    This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.


    My sentiments exactly




    Oh I don't know, we could see a new approach to putting take root. Kind of like Fowler's approach on steroids. When close enough, use an aggressive stroke that will hit the pin an fall. It will take one person to show that it's better before everyone who can will pile on.


    And that's great on putts that hit the hole. But miss the hole, and you get to have another 5-footer. I'm just not convinced that will be the right way to go.
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

    cxx wrote:

    dpb5031 wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    aliikane wrote:


    I think it will improve strokes per round. There is definitely many more cases where it helps than hurts. Not a big fan of the rule change, but it is here to stay.


    This is one I can't agree with. This will generally help balls that are going too fast, and hit the pin. How many putts fit that criteria? Most putts from 10 feet and beyond don't actually go over the hole. Those won't be assisted. Most putts inside maybe 20 feet are going slow enough that they won't be helped either. I believe any effect on scoring will be a small fraction of one stroke, on average, and many rounds will not be influenced at all. I believe we overestimate the effect because the studies have looked ONLY at putts that hit the flag, and have looked primarily at putts going at the maximum holing speed or faster. No need to study the ones that miss, but they're the majority of all putts.


    My sentiments exactly




    Oh I don't know, we could see a new approach to putting take root. Kind of like Fowler's approach on steroids. When close enough, use an aggressive stroke that will hit the pin an fall. It will take one person to show that it's better before everyone who can will pile on.


    And that's great on putts that hit the hole. But miss the hole, and you get to have another 5-footer. I'm just not convinced that will be the right way to go.


    Yes but some really good putters do that now, Fowler and Poulter are two. They usually have a bit of pace on the shorter putts and live with the 4-5 footer on the misses.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 3:19pm #113
    If everyone wants to argue a tangible benefit to leaving it in then why would you NOT do just that? This makes zero sense. The ruling bodies made the rule change and now its ours to own and deal with like it or not. I’m personally not ever voting to take the pin out, if 1-5 putts that actually strike the pin have a negative effect I can live with those odds.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s because the optic helps some and hurts others. It’s not a universal help. Or a universal hurt.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭


    It’s because the optic helps some and hurts others. It’s not a universal help. Or a universal hurt.
    100%! I totally agree with that. It’s a pace of play opportunity and I hope peeps embrace it.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:



    It’s because the optic helps some and hurts others. It’s not a universal help. Or a universal hurt.
    100%! I totally agree with that. It’s a pace of play opportunity and I hope peeps embrace it.




    There are many other simple things that "aware" player can do to help speed pace of play if they so choose. This rule change is generally a non-factor for pace
    USGA Index: ~1

    WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 4:06pm #117
    If everyone leaves the flag in then everyone can focus on there putts so I don’t see it that way.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:



    It’s because the optic helps some and hurts others. It’s not a universal help. Or a universal hurt.
    100%! I totally agree with that. It’s a pace of play opportunity and I hope peeps embrace it.




    Yes. But. I’m on the end of I can’t stand looking at the pin from anything short of 40 feet. So it’s out. Always. I’ve tried now and had some horrid putting rounds with the pin in. It’s as if it causes me to flinch and not hit the ball toward the hole.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Tingting wrote:


    Half of our group wants it in vs half wants it out. We decided that those who wants the pin out will have to do it themselves. Self service. When we played with the group leaving it in it was faster




    So when they walk up and pull the pin. Who puts it back in ? Lol.
    No one-and no one wants to play behind that group. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Big Ben wrote:



    It's because the optic helps some and hurts others. It's not a universal help. Or a universal hurt.
    100%! I totally agree with that. It's a pace of play opportunity and I hope peeps embrace it.




    Yes. But. I'm on the end of I can't stand looking at the pin from anything short of 40 feet. So it's out. Always. I've tried now and had some horrid putting rounds with the pin in. It's as if it causes me to flinch and not hit the ball toward the hole.
    Yeah but.... you were flinching before as I recall. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:


    Big Ben wrote:



    It's because the optic helps some and hurts others. It's not a universal help. Or a universal hurt.
    100%! I totally agree with that. It's a pace of play opportunity and I hope peeps embrace it.




    Yes. But. I'm on the end of I can't stand looking at the pin from anything short of 40 feet. So it's out. Always. I've tried now and had some horrid putting rounds with the pin in. It's as if it causes me to flinch and not hit the ball toward the hole.
    Yeah but.... you were flinching before as I recall. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />




    Yep. But it makes it worse. Lol.



    Much worse. Speed just goes nuts . One 5 ft by. Next one 6 ft short.



    Pull the pin and almost like magic. Speed goes back to center . I can’t be the only head case playing this **** game. Lol
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 


Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file